PDA

View Full Version : Best cat breeds for catching spiders?

AL_n
April 3rd 11, 10:58 AM
I'm thinking of acquiring a cat, and am considering which breeds would be
suitable. I'm a spider phobic, so a cat that would eradicate spiders from
my house would be a particular favourite.

Other qualities that I'd value:
1) affectionate
2) talkative
3) clean
4) no tendency to molt heavily

Any suggestions appreciated..

Al

Matthew[_3_]
April 3rd 11, 04:37 PM
there are none
"AL_n" > wrote in message

> I'm thinking of acquiring a cat, and am considering which breeds would be
> suitable. I'm a spider phobic, so a cat that would eradicate spiders from
> my house would be a particular favourite.
>
> Other qualities that I'd value:
> 1) affectionate
> 2) talkative
> 3) clean
> 4) no tendency to molt heavily
>
> Any suggestions appreciated..
>
> Al

dgk
April 4th 11, 04:11 PM
On 3 Apr 2011 09:58:44 GMT, "AL_n" > wrote:

>I'm thinking of acquiring a cat, and am considering which breeds would be
>suitable. I'm a spider phobic, so a cat that would eradicate spiders from
>my house would be a particular favourite.
>
>Other qualities that I'd value:
>1) affectionate
>2) talkative
>3) clean
>4) no tendency to molt heavily
>
>Any suggestions appreciated..
>
>Al

No idea about breeds since I pluck mine from the street or shelters.
But cats vary tremendously and all are different. I'd talk to the
local shelter because they get to know the cats' personalities. The
spider bit might be tough though. One of my four cats does have it in
for waterbugs and specializes in removing the wings, usually resulting
in the termination of the waterbug. The other three don't seem
concerned about waterbugs.

I think most spiders are too small to attract much interest from a
cat.

March 26th 17, 01:42 AM
On Sunday, April 3, 2011 at 5:58:44 AM UTC-4, AL_n wrote:
> I'm thinking of acquiring a cat, and am considering which breeds would be
> suitable. I'm a spider phobic, so a cat that would eradicate spiders from
> my house would be a particular favourite.
>
> Other qualities that I'd value:
> 1) affectionate
> 2) talkative
> 3) clean
> 4) no tendency to molt heavily
>
> Any suggestions appreciated..
>
> Al

You definitely want a Siamese. They are the most talkative and intelligent of the cat breeds, extremely loyal, and are known to be fast/agile and decent mousers... which is pretty much the same thing. But not *every* cat will be a hunter, so you might think about just adopting a kitten and teaching it to hunt yourself. Get some little plastic spiders and attach them to a string and dangle it in front of the cat, reward him every time he "kills" the spider. Good luck. I used to be the most arachnophobic person I knew, until I learned a major life lesson and discovered that there are *waaay* worse things than spiders out there... and guess what? Spiders eat ALL of them.. I haven't killed a spider in my house in a long time now.

Greaver
December 2nd 17, 03:13 PM
You need a cat to deal with your spiders? What kind of spiders do you have in your house?