PDA

View Full Version : What might have killed my cat?


AL_n
April 3rd 11, 11:17 AM
A stray cat recently made himself at home in my house. I became really
attached to him and looked after him well. He seemed a young and healthy
cat. One night, about two weeks ago I found him crouching next to my bed,
unwilling to move. A while later, I heard him forcing himself to vomit. He
expelled a small amount of undigested cat food. An hour or so later, I
heard him vomiting again, and again, a small amount of undigested cat food
was expelled. I remained immobile, although he did follow me into another
room at one point. I didn't think there was any need to rush him to a vet,
because cats often vomit, in my experience. He did let out a moan a couple
of times as though he was in particular discomfort. That concerned me a
little. I went to bed and woke up next morning to find he had left the
house. I never saw him again.

Anyone know what could have killed him? I live on the edge of some fields.
There is no farming going on in the area. The cat was a keen hunter, and
spent most of his waking hours hunting rabbits and rodents. I wonderd if he
could have eaten a rat that had ingested rat poison or something like that.
The cat food I fed him was from a major supermarket, so I presume that
would not have killed him - but who knows? I noticed that he wasn't eating
for two or three days prior to his disappearance, but there was no sign of
serious ill health. He may have seemed slightly moody, but that's all.

Thank you.

Al

Matthew[_3_]
April 3rd 11, 04:37 PM
probably got into poison

"AL_n" > wrote in message
...
>A stray cat recently made himself at home in my house. I became really
> attached to him and looked after him well. He seemed a young and healthy
> cat. One night, about two weeks ago I found him crouching next to my bed,
> unwilling to move. A while later, I heard him forcing himself to vomit. He
> expelled a small amount of undigested cat food. An hour or so later, I
> heard him vomiting again, and again, a small amount of undigested cat food
> was expelled. I remained immobile, although he did follow me into another
> room at one point. I didn't think there was any need to rush him to a vet,
> because cats often vomit, in my experience. He did let out a moan a couple
> of times as though he was in particular discomfort. That concerned me a
> little. I went to bed and woke up next morning to find he had left the
> house. I never saw him again.
>
> Anyone know what could have killed him? I live on the edge of some fields.
> There is no farming going on in the area. The cat was a keen hunter, and
> spent most of his waking hours hunting rabbits and rodents. I wonderd if
> he
> could have eaten a rat that had ingested rat poison or something like
> that.
> The cat food I fed him was from a major supermarket, so I presume that
> would not have killed him - but who knows? I noticed that he wasn't eating
> for two or three days prior to his disappearance, but there was no sign of
> serious ill health. He may have seemed slightly moody, but that's all.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Al