PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to know about pet sitters?

jmc[_2_]
May 15th 11, 11:32 PM
For the first time ever, I'm considering a pet sitting service for Meep.
I'll be gone for nearly three weeks. She did very poorly the last
time I had her in boarding, so I need to try something new.

I'm a very private and somewhat paranoid person. I do NOT NOT NOT like
the idea of a stranger in my house when I'm away! However, Meep's needs
trump my discomfort.

Can those of you who use a service tell me about them? I'm looking at
services that were recommended by coworkers, but that doesn't always
guarantee they'll do a good job. I'm leaving my cat's life and my
personal home in this person's hands - since they're recommended I
assume they'll do a good job with Meep, but how do I know they won't go
through my stuff while they are here?

Any advice is appreciated! I need to do this for Meep's sake, but I
might be even more of a nervous wreck than I am when putting her into
boarding!

jmc

Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds
May 16th 11, 12:55 AM
In article >, jmc >
wrote:

> For the first time ever, I'm considering a pet sitting service for Meep.
> I'll be gone for nearly three weeks. She did very poorly the last
> time I had her in boarding, so I need to try something new.
>
> I'm a very private and somewhat paranoid person. I do NOT NOT NOT like
> the idea of a stranger in my house when I'm away! However, Meep's needs
> trump my discomfort.
>
> Can those of you who use a service tell me about them? I'm looking at
> services that were recommended by coworkers, but that doesn't always
> guarantee they'll do a good job. I'm leaving my cat's life and my
> personal home in this person's hands - since they're recommended I
> assume they'll do a good job with Meep, but how do I know they won't go
> through my stuff while they are here?
>
> Any advice is appreciated! I need to do this for Meep's sake, but I
> might be even more of a nervous wreck than I am when putting her into
> boarding!
>
> jmc

In this life you can't guarantee anything, but nanny cams even the odds a whole
lot...and can be accessed by the internet

Rene[_2_]
May 16th 11, 03:10 PM
I know how you feel--since we've hired several good (and a couple of
bad) sitters.

Ask for references and then call them! I've done this, and most people
are willing to give you an honest opinion of the sitter.

Ask to make sure they are bonded and insured.

Set up a meet-and-greet at your house. Most sitters are willing to do
this for free, but even if they aren't, IMO it's worth a small fee.
Have a list of questions ready to ask (if you Google this, you can
find sample questions too).

See how Meep interacts with the sitter. Cats are good judges of
character.

Ask what they would do if a problem should arise. See how familiar
they are with the local vets offices and their locations.

Most sitters are willing to turn off and on lights, get mail and
newspapers, water plants, etc., to make the house look lived in. Ask
about this.

One big question I've had is medication (we have cats on medications).
One sitter we had for a year or two apparently could not medicate our
one cat, so she would apparently just leave the pill in his food bowl!
It was never in the bowl when we got home, so we guess one of the
other cats ate it! (She finally admitted she had problems medicating
him, and we never hired her again!)

Ask what their procedure is for medications, and then have him/her
medicate your pet in front of you. Also ask, if there is a problem
with medicating, what is their back up plan.

Hope this helps a little.

Rene

at
May 16th 11, 10:37 PM
On Sun, 15 May 2011 16:55:23 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
> wrote:

>In article >, jmc >
>wrote:
>
>> For the first time ever, I'm considering a pet sitting service for Meep.
>> I'll be gone for nearly three weeks. She did very poorly the last
>> time I had her in boarding, so I need to try something new.
>>
>> I'm a very private and somewhat paranoid person. I do NOT NOT NOT like
>> the idea of a stranger in my house when I'm away! However, Meep's needs
>> trump my discomfort.
>>
>> Can those of you who use a service tell me about them? I'm looking at
>> services that were recommended by coworkers, but that doesn't always
>> guarantee they'll do a good job. I'm leaving my cat's life and my
>> personal home in this person's hands - since they're recommended I
>> assume they'll do a good job with Meep, but how do I know they won't go
>> through my stuff while they are here?
>>
>> Any advice is appreciated! I need to do this for Meep's sake, but I
>> might be even more of a nervous wreck than I am when putting her into
>> boarding!
>>
>> jmc
>
>In this life you can't guarantee anything, but nanny cams even the odds a whole
>lot...and can be accessed by the internet

Great idea!

Also, when you call a pet sitting service, ask for several references,
preferably from people who have used their service more than once.

I would also ask that the SAME person come every day, and that you get a
chance to meet the person, and ask them about their experience with
cats.

If they don't show any enthusiasm for cats, if they don't have any cats
of their own, pass on that person.

This makes me glad I never, ever travel.

Good luck.

jmc[_2_]
May 16th 11, 11:37 PM
Suddenly, without warning, at dot Gandalf exclaimed (5/16/2011 5:37 PM):
> On Sun, 15 May 2011 16:55:23 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
> > wrote:
>
>> In >, >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> For the first time ever, I'm considering a pet sitting service for Meep.
>>> I'll be gone for nearly three weeks. She did very poorly the last
>>> time I had her in boarding, so I need to try something new.
>>>
>>> I'm a very private and somewhat paranoid person. I do NOT NOT NOT like
>>> the idea of a stranger in my house when I'm away! However, Meep's needs
>>> trump my discomfort.
>>>
>>> Can those of you who use a service tell me about them? I'm looking at
>>> services that were recommended by coworkers, but that doesn't always
>>> guarantee they'll do a good job. I'm leaving my cat's life and my
>>> personal home in this person's hands - since they're recommended I
>>> assume they'll do a good job with Meep, but how do I know they won't go
>>> through my stuff while they are here?
>>>
>>> Any advice is appreciated! I need to do this for Meep's sake, but I
>>> might be even more of a nervous wreck than I am when putting her into
>>> boarding!
>>>
>>> jmc
>>
>> In this life you can't guarantee anything, but nanny cams even the odds a whole
>> lot...and can be accessed by the internet
>
> Great idea!
>
> Also, when you call a pet sitting service, ask for several references,
> preferably from people who have used their service more than once.
>
> I would also ask that the SAME person come every day, and that you get a
> chance to meet the person, and ask them about their experience with
> cats.
>
> If they don't show any enthusiasm for cats, if they don't have any cats
> of their own, pass on that person.
>
> This makes me glad I never, ever travel.
>
> Good luck.

Nanny cam on it's way...

I got the references first :) I asked for recommendations of pet
sitters from coworkers, since there's a plethora hereabouts. Helped
narrow it down to less than a half dozen. Some research and it's down
to two that get "interviews" this week. Both will be with, or include,
the person who'd actually care for Meep.

One used to be a veterinary nurse and a vet tech, I'm leaning towards
her due to her stated experience with "special needs" and older cats.
She handles visits to cats like mine herself. This one is also a
cats-only service - the other one seems to be more typical of the area,
mainly dogs but also does cats and other animals.

Isn't cheap though - will cost me around $45 per day (two visits plus
meds). That's the going rate based on my research, which is about twice
what the boarding place charged and about $10 more per day than the vet
did... but Meep should be happier, plus I also get my plants watered and
my house watched, so provided they don't rob me blind (me? paranoid?),
I'll consider that worth the added cost. Truly, I have no choice. The
vet bills from her stressing in the kennel would end up overtopping the
cost of just getting a pet sitter, anyway.

I have a whole list of questions to ask, courtesy of the Humane Society
website.

Appreciate the responses. Would welcome your personal experiences with
pet sitters as well!

jmc

chaniarts
May 17th 11, 12:01 AM
Gandalf ingold1234 (at) yahoo (dot) com (Gandalf) wrote:
> On Sun, 15 May 2011 16:55:23 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
> > wrote:
>
>> In article >, jmc
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> For the first time ever, I'm considering a pet sitting service for
>>> Meep. I'll be gone for nearly three weeks. She did very poorly
>>> the last
>>> time I had her in boarding, so I need to try something new.
>>>
>>> I'm a very private and somewhat paranoid person. I do NOT NOT NOT
>>> like the idea of a stranger in my house when I'm away! However,
>>> Meep's needs trump my discomfort.
>>>
>>> Can those of you who use a service tell me about them? I'm looking
>>> at services that were recommended by coworkers, but that doesn't
>>> always guarantee they'll do a good job. I'm leaving my cat's life
>>> and my personal home in this person's hands - since they're
>>> recommended I assume they'll do a good job with Meep, but how do I
>>> know they won't go through my stuff while they are here?
>>>
>>> Any advice is appreciated! I need to do this for Meep's sake, but I
>>> might be even more of a nervous wreck than I am when putting her
>>> into boarding!
>>>
>>> jmc
>>
>> In this life you can't guarantee anything, but nanny cams even the
>> odds a whole lot...and can be accessed by the internet
>
> Great idea!
>
> Also, when you call a pet sitting service, ask for several references,
> preferably from people who have used their service more than once.
>
> I would also ask that the SAME person come every day, and that you
> get a chance to meet the person, and ask them about their experience
> with cats.
>
> If they don't show any enthusiasm for cats, if they don't have any
> cats of their own, pass on that person.
>
> This makes me glad I never, ever travel.
>
> Good luck.

i like to get my initial referrals from my vet, who usually have their own
vet techs do pet sitting on the side. they would know how or have access to
medical expertise, and you can give them a blanket statement to have your
pet treated if need be. you do need to follow up on their references though,
like others have said.

chaniarts
May 17th 11, 12:09 AM
jmc wrote:
> Isn't cheap though - will cost me around $45 per day (two visits plus
> meds). That's the going rate based on my research, which is about
> twice what the boarding place charged and about $10 more per day than
> the vet did... but Meep should be happier, plus I also get my plants
> watered and my house watched, so provided they don't rob me blind
> (me? paranoid?), I'll consider that worth the added cost. Truly, I
> have no choice. The vet bills from her stressing in the kennel would
> end up overtopping the cost of just getting a pet sitter, anyway.

what area of the world are you in?

my pet sitter comes in 1/day and spends an hour or so. she
feeds/waters/tcleans letter boxes/akes care of 7 cats (pill medicating 1),
checks and installs http://softpaws.com on them all, waters the many plants
(20-30), feeds and adds water to 2 sal****er fish tanks, takes in
packages/mail, puts the garbage cans out at the curb and brings them in, and
does general checkups around the interior and exterior of the house. she
then keeps a journal of what she did/found/who she played with/how each of
the cats deals with her/etc. on our long trips she'll either email us, or
skype us from the house for status reports.

i've used her for up to 4 weeks at a time.

she charges $15/visit.

regards,
charlie

jmc[_2_]
May 17th 11, 02:22 AM
Suddenly, without warning, chaniarts exclaimed (5/16/2011 7:09 PM):
> jmc wrote:
>> Isn't cheap though - will cost me around $45 per day (two visits plus
>> meds). That's the going rate based on my research, which is about
>> twice what the boarding place charged and about $10 more per day than
>> the vet did... but Meep should be happier, plus I also get my plants
>> watered and my house watched, so provided they don't rob me blind
>> (me? paranoid?), I'll consider that worth the added cost. Truly, I
>> have no choice. The vet bills from her stressing in the kennel would
>> end up overtopping the cost of just getting a pet sitter, anyway.
>
> what area of the world are you in?
>
> my pet sitter comes in 1/day and spends an hour or so. she
> feeds/waters/tcleans letter boxes/akes care of 7 cats (pill medicating 1),
> checks and installs http://softpaws.com on them all, waters the many plants
> (20-30), feeds and adds water to 2 sal****er fish tanks, takes in
> packages/mail, puts the garbage cans out at the curb and brings them in, and
> does general checkups around the interior and exterior of the house. she
> then keeps a journal of what she did/found/who she played with/how each of
> the cats deals with her/etc. on our long trips she'll either email us, or
> skype us from the house for status reports.
>
> i've used her for up to 4 weeks at a time.
>
> she charges $15/visit.
>
> regards,
> charlie

Near Washington, DC. Things are outrageously expensive here in general,
due to too many rich people and congresscritters living hereabouts.

The $45 gets two visits per day, plus medication, pick up of newspapers,
watering of plants, and some scritches if she'll allow it. Probably
just sitting in my Lazyboy providing a quiet presence for a few minutes,
which though Meep wouldn't admit it under torture, she would probably
appreciate :)

I think both probably do daily email reports, and can do mail but I'll
put a hold on it, daily checkup around the house would be built in
'cause they'll have to find her first :)

jmc

Cheryl[_3_]
May 17th 11, 07:17 AM
On 5/15/2011 6:32 PM, jmc wrote:
> For the first time ever, I'm considering a pet sitting service for Meep.
> I'll be gone for nearly three weeks. She did very poorly the last time I
> had her in boarding, so I need to try something new.
>
> I'm a very private and somewhat paranoid person. I do NOT NOT NOT like
> the idea of a stranger in my house when I'm away! However, Meep's needs
> trump my discomfort.
>
> Can those of you who use a service tell me about them? I'm looking at
> services that were recommended by coworkers, but that doesn't always
> guarantee they'll do a good job. I'm leaving my cat's life and my
> personal home in this person's hands - since they're recommended I
> assume they'll do a good job with Meep, but how do I know they won't go
> through my stuff while they are here?
>
> Any advice is appreciated! I need to do this for Meep's sake, but I
> might be even more of a nervous wreck than I am when putting her into
> boarding!

I asked my community via a Yahoo group for recommendations. Since the
main person recommended didn't usually participate in any way online I
called her to meet her. She brought her backup with her to my house.

My first time using them I got a phone call on the first day to let me
know they started service. I got another couple of calls and I was
satisfied.

When I got home I had a stack of notes written each day of my cats'
behavior, eating habits and any issues. The litter boxes were immaculate.

Just ask for recommendations. I completely trust these ladies now.
They knew how to use my security system and I trust them with a key fob.

Even my shy cats came out to visit with both of them. Just need to let
them know about favorite toys. My sitters will stay and play for a bit.

Cheryl[_3_]
May 17th 11, 07:21 AM
On 5/16/2011 9:22 PM, jmc wrote:

> Near Washington, DC. Things are outrageously expensive here in general,
> due to too many rich people and congresscritters living hereabouts.

How near DC? I'm in this area and I love my pet sitter. I'm in Bowie.

jmc[_2_]
May 18th 11, 03:12 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Cheryl exclaimed (5/17/2011 2:21 AM):
> On 5/16/2011 9:22 PM, jmc wrote:
>
>> Near Washington, DC. Things are outrageously expensive here in general,
>> due to too many rich people and congresscritters living hereabouts.
>
> How near DC? I'm in this area and I love my pet sitter. I'm in Bowie.

Other side of the river, I'm afraid. VA.

jmc

Rene[_2_]
May 18th 11, 04:39 PM
I'm glad you have two interviews scheduled. For your area, $45/day
sounds about right. I'm in the Milwaukee metro area, and rates vary
from $30/day and up, with $30 being on the low end. I hope you find
the right person. It sounds like you have a good start.

Rene

MaryL[_2_]
May 20th 11, 01:27 AM
"jmc" wrote in message ...

[...]

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I have used the same pet sitter for 8 years. I consider myself very
fortunate to have found her--she becomes "another me" when I am gone, and I
know I can rely on her to do everything in her power to keep Holly and Duffy
happy and healthy. I also think they are much happier when they are left in
their home environment instead of trying to move them around. When I was
first looking for a sitter, I called various people for recommendations
(friends, my vet, etc.). Her name kept coming up, and everyone would
describe her as "fantastic." Then I called people that some of those
references knew, just to be "doubly" sure of the sitter I was getting. I
interviewed her on the phone, and did the same with several other people.
This woman really impressed me, so I asked her to come to the house so I
could meet her in person and she could meet Holly and Duffy. It was clear
almost from the minute she entered the house that she was very good with
cats. I explained their feeding schedule in detail and placed emphasis on
the fact that I did not want anyone else to come to the house (no children,
no friends, etc.), and she was amenable to that. I was concerned--just as
you are--with privacy and protection, so that is something I asked about
when I was talking to references. Interestingly, she told me later that she
had also talked to references about *me*--it turned out that she was just as
particular about where she worked as I was about who would come into my
house. I did take one extra step, but I did this several years earlier so I
could give a key to the woman who cleans my house. That is, I had a "maid's
lock" installed. I have every lock in the house (including the maid's lock)
keyed so that my primary key will fit them all, and I don't have to carry a
bundle of keys around. The "maid's lock" is a second lock on the front
door. It is set so that my key will fit but one additional key will fit
that lock but *no other lock* in the house. Then, on days when I am going
to have the house cleaned or need a pet sitter, I unlock the primary lock
(because their key will not fit), and they can enter the house by unlocking
the maid's lock. At all other times (including when I am home), I lock
*both* locks. The keys that I have given to other people will not work
because they cannot unlock the primary lock. I hope this makes sense
because it gives me a great sense of security. Of course, it is very
important to have someone very reliable for those occasions when you are
gone because that person will have access to your house and Meep when you
are gone.

MaryL

Bill Graham
May 20th 11, 02:08 AM
MaryL wrote:
> [...]
> them all, and I don't have to carry a bundle of keys around. The
> "maid's lock" is a second lock on the front door. It is set so that
> my key will fit but one additional key will fit that lock but *no
> other lock* in the house. Then, on days when I am going to have the
> house cleaned or need a pet sitter, I unlock the primary lock
> (because their key will not fit), and they can enter the house by
> unlocking the maid's lock. At all other times (including when I am
> home), I lock *both* locks. The keys that I have given to other
> people will not work because they cannot unlock the primary lock. I
> hope this makes sense because it gives me a great sense of security. Of
> course, it is very important to have someone very reliable for
> those occasions when you are gone because that person will have
> access to your house and Meep when you are gone.

I used one for my cats once. She was good, and spent about a half hour or 40
minutes with the cats while she was here every day. She also took in the
newspapers from the front porch, and made sure the light was on so it looked
like someone was home. But I don't know how to tell you to make sure you
have a good one, except perhaps you could ask her for references and then
telephone them and ask. You might also introduce her to your cats in advance
so they won't be traumatized when she comes in while you are away.

at
May 20th 11, 03:45 AM
On Thu, 19 May 2011 19:27:32 -0500, "MaryL"
> [...]

>keyed so that my primary key will fit them all, and I don't have to carry a
>bundle of keys around. The "maid's lock" is a second lock on the front
>door. It is set so that my key will fit but one additional key will fit
>that lock but *no other lock* in the house. Then, on days when I am going
>to have the house cleaned or need a pet sitter, I unlock the primary lock
>(because their key will not fit), and they can enter the house by unlocking
>the maid's lock. At all other times (including when I am home), I lock
>*both* locks. The keys that I have given to other people will not work
>because they cannot unlock the primary lock. I hope this makes sense
>because it gives me a great sense of security. Of course, it is very
>important to have someone very reliable for those occasions when you are
>gone because that person will have access to your house and Meep when you

I have never heard of a 'maid's lock' before now, but it sure sounds
like a REALLY good idea for your situation.

And you are fortunate to have such a good pet sitter, that you can
really trust.

I know that Holly is getting older now, and of course Duffy is a very
special cat, so you need someone really good to look after them, when
you are gone.

I just never travel. The last vacation I took was in 1977, long before I
had gotten my first cat, Lucky.

I have never taken a vacation, since then.

I had one job where I was always at the maximum for vacation time, so I
started taking Fridays off. First one Friday out of four.

Then, every third Friday. And for 4 years, I had to take every other
Friday off. It was really nice: every other weekend was a 3 day
weekend :)

MaryL[_2_]
May 20th 11, 01:12 PM
"jmc" wrote in message ...

[...]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Here are three more things that I thought of after I sent my other message:
1) I made arrangements with my vet so that Holly and Duffy would receive
care if the sitter needs to take them in for medical care. Of course, he
said he would have done that even if I had not made arrangements. :o)
2) My sitter leaves a daily log in which she makes notes of how much food is
eaten, behavior, how active they are, etc.
3) Check in occasionally by phone or email..there were *never* any problems
with Holly and Duffy, but it eased my mind.

MaryL

barb
May 20th 11, 03:27 PM
I'd used one of my vet's techs for several years for my cats. Then, my
neighbor across the street started a pet-sitting and errands business
because she lost her job. I knew her before and she's spectacular . My
other neighbor uses her, too, and swears by her. We all have each others'
keys.

Once I used International Pet Sitters. The guy was great and my vet also
knew him which eased my mind a little. The next year he had quit.

As for trusting- you need to hang loose a bit and allow that someone will be
in and out of your house while you're away. It's either that or stay home.
I would never have my cats boarded. They would be miserable.

Barb