PDA

View Full Version : In memory of a friend.

Bill Graham
June 11th 11, 05:53 PM
I am very sorry to have to report that my favorite cat, "B-K" that I picked
up as a yearling in a Burger King parking lot on the day before Thanksgiving
in 2004, passed away last night at 11 PM. He died of liver failure from
something poisonous that he ingested, probably last Tuesday. Cats keep
themselves well groomed, and he could have ingested the poison after walking
through a field or lawn freshly treated with some garden chemical. Or, he
might have eaten an animal that had been poisoned. He was very gregarious,
and was well known by all the neighbors, so I doubt if he was intentionally
harmed by anyone. I comfort myself in knowing that he lived a good life with
Frances and me for the 6-1/2 years we had him. He probably would have died
sooner and been much worse off had I left him in that parking lot several
years ago.
I have told my dentist that the worst pains in life are emotional, and
now we have to pay for those 6-1/2 years of friendship that we enjoyed so
much with B-K, the Burger King cat.

Michael Lane
June 14th 11, 12:29 AM
My deepest condolences on the lost of B K !!!!! I know that losing a pet
is so heart wrenching . A 'CLINK' of the glass to B K on his trip to the
bridge .

Via Con Dos B K

Michael Lane

**
**

Patok[_2_]
June 14th 11, 03:28 AM
So sorry to hear about the passing of B-K, he was one cool cat. I
raise a glass now in his memory, the valiant mole-hunter. May your
sorrow be sweet.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
*

Bill Graham
June 14th 11, 08:24 PM
Patok wrote:
> So sorry to hear about the passing of B-K, he was one cool cat. I
> raise a glass now in his memory, the valiant mole-hunter. May your
> sorrow be sweet.

Thank you. - That mole hunting may have been his undoing. People poison
moles and B-K may have eaten one of those. It is hard to say exactly when,
and how much poison he ingested. It could have been a small amount over a
week before, or a large amount recently, and we didn't spend a bunch of
money trying to find out. - Nothing we could have done would bring him back.
He was our only, "wandering cat". the others pretty well stay on the
property. But B-K would go for days without eating any of our food or
drinking the water we leave out for our cats, so we knew he was eating and
drinking elsewhere, probably out of puddles and creatures he caught. He
liked to play, "Wild cat", and was generally independant. I don't mind that
he is dead so much as I mind that I was unable to put him down when he was
near the end and suffering. I wish I could keep the chemicals I need to do
this in the house all the time for emergencies, but the political
environment we need to be able to do this just doesn't exist here. Our
government treats us all as criminals because there are a few of us who are.
So my B-K had to suffer through those last few hours of his life. Also,
there was no way to know with certainty that he wouldn't pull through and
recover. Had we put him down, we would have always wondered whether that
could have happened. - All in all, it was a distressing situation.

He was a great, and truly exceptional cat. We will never forget him.

at
June 15th 11, 09:38 AM
On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 09:53:43 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>I am very sorry to have to report that my favorite cat, "B-K" that I picked
>up as a yearling in a Burger King parking lot on the day before Thanksgiving
>in 2004, passed away last night at 11 PM. He died of liver failure from
>something poisonous that he ingested, probably last Tuesday. Cats keep
>themselves well groomed, and he could have ingested the poison after walking
>through a field or lawn freshly treated with some garden chemical. Or, he
>might have eaten an animal that had been poisoned. He was very gregarious,
>and was well known by all the neighbors, so I doubt if he was intentionally
>harmed by anyone. I comfort myself in knowing that he lived a good life with
>Frances and me for the 6-1/2 years we had him. He probably would have died
>sooner and been much worse off had I left him in that parking lot several
>years ago.
> I have told my dentist that the worst pains in life are emotional, and
>now we have to pay for those 6-1/2 years of friendship that we enjoyed so
>much with B-K, the Burger King cat.

Yes, this is what happens to 'outside cats'.

They die young.

Bill Graham
June 15th 11, 04:48 PM
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 09:53:43 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
> wrote:
>

>> I am very sorry to have to report that my favorite cat, "B-K" that I
>> picked up as a yearling in a Burger King parking lot on the day
>> before Thanksgiving in 2004, passed away last night at 11 PM. He
>> died of liver failure from something poisonous that he ingested,
>> probably last Tuesday. Cats keep themselves well groomed, and he
>> could have ingested the poison after walking through a field or lawn
>> freshly treated with some garden chemical. Or, he might have eaten
>> an animal that had been poisoned. He was very gregarious, and was
>> well known by all the neighbors, so I doubt if he was intentionally
>> harmed by anyone. I comfort myself in knowing that he lived a good
>> life with Frances and me for the 6-1/2 years we had him. He probably
>> would have died sooner and been much worse off had I left him in
>> that parking lot several years ago. I have told my dentist that
>> the worst pains in life are emotional, and
>> now we have to pay for those 6-1/2 years of friendship that we
>> enjoyed so much with B-K, the Burger King cat.
>
> Yes, this is what happens to 'outside cats'.
>
> They die young.

An update on B-K. He died from ingestion of a weed killer our next door
neighbor sprayed on his lawn. Apparently, some of the stuff got into a water
bowl that B-K was fond of drinking from, and he ingested enough of it to
destroy his liver and kill him. My neighbor was kind enough to tell us and
apologize the other day. I was happy to find out that his death was an
accident, and that no one intentionally poisoned him.

Phil P.
June 16th 11, 03:53 PM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

> I am very sorry to have to report that my favorite cat, "B-K" that I
picked
> up as a yearling in a Burger King parking lot on the day before
Thanksgiving
> in 2004, passed away last night at 11 PM. He died of liver failure from
> something poisonous that he ingested, probably last Tuesday. Cats keep
> themselves well groomed, and he could have ingested the poison after
walking
> through a field or lawn freshly treated with some garden chemical. Or, he
> might have eaten an animal that had been poisoned. He was very gregarious,
> and was well known by all the neighbors, so I doubt if he was
intentionally
> harmed by anyone. I comfort myself in knowing that he lived a good life
with
> Frances and me for the 6-1/2 years we had him. He probably would have died
> sooner and been much worse off had I left him in that parking lot several
> years ago.
> I have told my dentist that the worst pains in life are emotional, and
> now we have to pay for those 6-1/2 years of friendship that we enjoyed so
> much with B-K, the Burger King cat.

My condolences. I know how much it hurts.

Bill Graham
June 16th 11, 05:17 PM
Phil P. wrote:
> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>>
>> I am very sorry to have to report that my favorite cat, "B-K" that I
>> picked up as a yearling in a Burger King parking lot on the day
>> before Thanksgiving in 2004, passed away last night at 11 PM. He
>> died of liver failure from something poisonous that he ingested,
>> probably last Tuesday. Cats keep themselves well groomed, and he
>> could have ingested the poison after walking through a field or lawn
>> freshly treated with some garden chemical. Or, he might have eaten
>> an animal that had been poisoned. He was very gregarious, and was
>> well known by all the neighbors, so I doubt if he was intentionally
>> harmed by anyone. I comfort myself in knowing that he lived a good
>> life with Frances and me for the 6-1/2 years we had him. He probably
>> would have died sooner and been much worse off had I left him in
>> that parking lot several years ago. I have told my dentist that
>> the worst pains in life are emotional, and now we have to pay for
>> those 6-1/2 years of friendship that we enjoyed so much with B-K,
>> the Burger King cat.
>

> My condolences. I know how much it hurts.

Thank you. Our next door neighbor, who liked B-K very much, told us that he
probably ingested weed killer that they used on their back yard lawn. He
spent a lot of time in their yard, and that is a very likely scenerio. We
were happy to find out that nobody poisoned him intentionally.

John Doe
June 16th 11, 05:58 PM
If this recent death was caused by keeping your cats outside,
hopefully it means you won't be keeping them outside and trolling
the group about it anymore.
--

"Bill Graham" <weg9 comcast.net> wrote:

> From: "Bill Graham" <weg9 comcast.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Subject: In memory of a friend.
> Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 09:53:43 -0700
>

> I am very sorry to have to report that my favorite cat, "B-K" that I picked
> up as a yearling in a Burger King parking lot on the day before Thanksgiving
> in 2004, passed away last night at 11 PM. He died of liver failure from
> something poisonous that he ingested, probably last Tuesday. Cats keep
> themselves well groomed, and he could have ingested the poison after walking
> through a field or lawn freshly treated with some garden chemical. Or, he
> might have eaten an animal that had been poisoned. He was very gregarious,
> and was well known by all the neighbors, so I doubt if he was intentionally
> harmed by anyone. I comfort myself in knowing that he lived a good life with
> Frances and me for the 6-1/2 years we had him. He probably would have died
> sooner and been much worse off had I left him in that parking lot several
> years ago.
> I have told my dentist that the worst pains in life are emotional, and
> now we have to pay for those 6-1/2 years of friendship that we enjoyed so
> much with B-K, the Burger King cat.

Bill Graham
June 17th 11, 04:09 AM
Judith Latham wrote:
> In article >, Bill
> Graham > wrote:
>
>> I am very sorry to have to report that my favorite cat, "B-K" that I
>> picked up as a yearling in a Burger King parking lot on the day
>> before Thanksgiving in 2004, passed away last night at 11 PM. He
>> died of liver failure from something poisonous that he ingested,
>> probably last Tuesday. Cats keep themselves well groomed, and he
>> could have ingested the poison after walking through a field or lawn
>> freshly treated with some garden chemical. Or, he might have eaten
>> an animal that had been poisoned. He was very gregarious, and was
>> well known by all the neighbors, so I doubt if he was intentionally
>> harmed by anyone. I comfort myself in knowing that he lived a good
>> life with Frances and me for the 6-1/2 years we had him. He probably
>> would have died sooner and been much worse off had I left him in
>> that parking lot several years ago. I have told my dentist that the
>> worst pains in life are emotional, and now we have to pay for those
>> 6-1/2 years of friendship that we enjoyed so much with B-K, the
>> Burger King cat.
>
> I'm so sorry. It hurts so much.
>
> You gave him a happy life and love too.
>
> Judith

Thanks, Judith. - The average feral cat only lives about 5 years, so B-K was
ahead of the game with us. But both we and the neighbors will miss him......