PDA

View Full Version : Triple Antibiotic ointment

Cat Daddy
June 15th 11, 05:44 PM
I took house cat to the vet for a scratch on her neck that
got infected. They gave her a shot of antibiotic. She's
getting better but I wonder if I put some Triple antibiotic
ointment on her neck and she licked it off, if it would
hurt her? Any thoughts? When I clean her neck with hydrogen
peroxide it feels hot, so it seems like it needs something
like an ointment.

Any help from experienced cat people would be appreciated.
Cat Daddy

Bill Graham
June 15th 11, 07:48 PM
Cat Daddy wrote:
> I took house cat to the vet for a scratch on her neck that
> got infected. They gave her a shot of antibiotic. She's
> getting better but I wonder if I put some Triple antibiotic
> ointment on her neck and she licked it off, if it would
> hurt her? Any thoughts? When I clean her neck with hydrogen
> peroxide it feels hot, so it seems like it needs something
> like an ointment.
>
> Any help from experienced cat people would be appreciated.
> Cat Daddy

Its pretty hard for a cat to lick its own neck. They have to lick their paw,
and then rub it on the neck. I use Neosporin on my cats in small quantities
with no ill effects......

Matthew[_3_]
June 15th 11, 08:43 PM
"Cat Daddy" > wrote in message
>I took house cat to the vet for a scratch on her neck that
> got infected. They gave her a shot of antibiotic. She's
> getting better but I wonder if I put some Triple antibiotic
> ointment on her neck and she licked it off, if it would
> hurt her? Any thoughts? When I clean her neck with hydrogen
> peroxide it feels hot, so it seems like it needs something
> like an ointment.
>
> Any help from experienced cat people would be appreciated.
> Cat Daddy

Book mark this site and follow Phil's advice he is the smartest cat rescue
person here

http://www.maxshouse.com/first_aid2.htm

Phil P.
June 16th 11, 11:38 AM
"Cat Daddy" > wrote in message
> I took house cat to the vet for a scratch on her neck that
> got infected. They gave her a shot of antibiotic. She's
> getting better but I wonder if I put some Triple antibiotic
> ointment on her neck and she licked it off, if it would
> hurt her? Any thoughts? When I clean her neck with hydrogen
> peroxide it feels hot, so it seems like it needs something
> like an ointment.
>
> Any help from experienced cat people would be appreciated.
> Cat Daddy

*Never* use hydrogen peroxide after the initial treatment. Continued use
will prevent the wound from healing. Hydrogen peroxide should be used only
*once*.

For an antibiotic, use regular strength Neosporin.

No more hydrogen peroxide, ok?

Rene[_2_]
June 16th 11, 04:54 PM
> *Never* use hydrogen peroxide after the initial treatment. *Continued use
> will prevent the wound from healing. *Hydrogen peroxide should be used only
> *once*.
>
> For an antibiotic, use regular strength Neosporin.
>
> No more hydrogen peroxide, ok?

Phil is correct. You shouldn't need it anyway if she's had an
antibiotics.

You can use a tiny tiny amount of Neosporin every couple of days if
you like. (I'm overly cautious with this kind of thing.) Or just keep
an eye on the wound.