PDA

View Full Version : Pain medication for cats?

at
June 25th 11, 07:11 PM
On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 13:19:34 -0500, jigo > wrote:

>My previous cat was 18 and in obvious pain toward the end. The vet said
>he could not use morphine or other pain medicine because cats might have
>a bad reaction. Other books I've read said that they can be used in
>cats. Does anyone know who is right? My previous vet used low doses of
>aspirin (which is toxic to cats in higher doses). It seems that there
>must be some strong medicine for cats in severe pain.

I can't remember the name of it, but when my cat needed some pain
relief, she was giving one of the opioids (a weaker relative to
morphine) that is safe for cats.

I was given doses of liquid pre measured in small syringes, to be given
orally.

Your vet sounds like a real loser: there are OBVIOUSLY several (to
many?) analgesics which ARE safe for use in cats.

Aspirin is NOT a good choice, obviously.

Part of EVERY veterinarian's JOB is to provide adequate pain relief for
animals in pain.

You need to find a COMPETENT veterinarian, as the one who denied pain
relief to your elderly cat because of 'a POSSIBLE reaction' needs to be
prosecuted.

jigo
June 25th 11, 07:19 PM
My previous cat was 18 and in obvious pain toward the end. The vet said
he could not use morphine or other pain medicine because cats might have
a bad reaction. Other books I've read said that they can be used in
cats. Does anyone know who is right? My previous vet used low doses of
aspirin (which is toxic to cats in higher doses). It seems that there
must be some strong medicine for cats in severe pain.

jmc[_2_]
June 25th 11, 09:51 PM
Suddenly, without warning, jigo exclaimed (6/25/2011 2:19 PM):
> My previous cat was 18 and in obvious pain toward the end. The vet said
> he could not use morphine or other pain medicine because cats might have
> a bad reaction. Other books I've read said that they can be used in
> cats. Does anyone know who is right? My previous vet used low doses of
> aspirin (which is toxic to cats in higher doses). It seems that there
> must be some strong medicine for cats in severe pain.

Bupamorphine is a strong painkiller for cats; Meep has been prescribed
this in the past and it didn't seem to have any side effects. Don't
know if addiction/dependency is a problem, she wasn't on it long.

Meep, my 15 year old cat is on a daily dose Tramadol, a strong
painkiller often prescribed after surgery. She's on it for her arthritis.

There's another one in the "strong" category that I cannot remember the
name of, but like Tramodol it's used for humans too... gapamin,
something like that?

So, yes, there are options. However, the options are also limited by
what medicines the cat is already on.

jmc

catlady
June 25th 11, 10:49 PM
On Jun 25, 1:19*pm, jigo > wrote:
> My previous cat was 18 and in obvious pain toward the end. *The vet said
> he could not use morphine or other pain medicine because cats might have
> a bad reaction. Other books I've read said that they can be used in
> cats. Does anyone know who is right? My previous vet used low doses of
> aspirin (which is toxic to cats in higher doses). It seems that there
> must be some strong medicine for cats in severe pain.

Buprenorphine (Buprenex) is the current drug of choice for pain relief
in cats. It can be given orally, but must be applied directly on the
inside of the cheek pouch so it is absorbed transmucosally. If the cat
swallows it it won't work. Ideally, owners shoud be taught to give it
as a sub q shot using an insulin needle. That way it is certain the
cat will get the entire dose.

June 26th 11, 11:03 AM
> > My previous cat was 18 and in obvious pain toward the end. The vet said> hecould not use morphine or other pain medicine because cats might have
> > a bad reaction. Other books I've read said that they can be used in
> > cats. Does anyone know who is right? My previous vet used low doses of
> > aspirin (which is toxic to cats in higher doses). It seems that there
> > must be some strong medicine for cats in severe pain.

Burprenorphine has been prescribed to my cat as well as metacam,
though the metacam has a higher risk of kidney damage. It worked great
in my dog for arthtritis, but is more dangerous for cats. Both come in
pre-meausured syringes because it is so easy to overdose them.

My question would be - what is causing the pain, and what is your
cat's quality of life? If the pain medication will relive the pain
enough that they are comfortable and the risks are worth it, then go
for it. But if it is not really helping much, it may be better to let
them go. It really depends on what is causing the pain.

June 27th 11, 07:55 AM
On Jun 25, 2:49*pm, catlady > wrote:
> On Jun 25, 1:19*pm, jigo > wrote:
>
> > My previous cat was 18 and in obvious pain toward the end. *The vet said
> > he could not use morphine or other pain medicine because cats might have
> > a bad reaction. Other books I've read said that they can be used in
> > cats. Does anyone know who is right? My previous vet used low doses of
> > aspirin (which is toxic to cats in higher doses). It seems that there
> > must be some strong medicine for cats in severe pain.
>
> Buprenorphine (Buprenex) is the current drug of choice for pain relief
> in cats. It can be given orally, but must be applied directly on the
> inside of the cheek pouch so it is absorbed transmucosally. If the cat
> swallows it it won't work. Ideally, owners shoud be taught to give it
> as a sub q shot using an insulin needle. That way it is certain the
> cat will get the entire dose.

Thank you so much for this post. I have used it with Quinn, but it did
not seem as good as metacam which is higher risk for cats. Quinn moves
around a lot, so I probably did not get it in her cheek as well as I
should have.

Is the dosage the same when using sub Q? I have done fluids via sub
Q, so I would be okay with doing that kind of injection, and I would
feel better knowing that she got the full dosage. . What kind of time
frame does it need to be given for a full effect? I'm getting some
again in a couple weeks as I am taking my cat to a cat show. She needs
dental surgery, but I can't do it until late July. I have a new
exhibitor that I am mentoring, so I am going to a show, and I would
like to use some medication so that she isn't hurting when being
touched around the face.

jigo
June 27th 11, 03:37 PM
wrote:

>>> My previous cat was 18 and in obvious pain toward the end. The vet said> hecould not use morphine or other pain medicine because cats might have
>>> a bad reaction. Other books I've read said that they can be used in
>>> cats. Does anyone know who is right? My previous vet used low doses of
>>> aspirin (which is toxic to cats in higher doses). It seems that there
>>> must be some strong medicine for cats in severe pain.
>>

> Burprenorphine has been prescribed to my cat as well as metacam,
> though the metacam has a higher risk of kidney damage. It worked great
> in my dog for arthtritis, but is more dangerous for cats. Both come in
> pre-meausured syringes because it is so easy to overdose them.
>
> My question would be - what is causing the pain, and what is your
> cat's quality of life? If the pain medication will relive the pain
> enough that they are comfortable and the risks are worth it, then go
> for it. But if it is not really helping much, it may be better to let
> them go. It really depends on what is causing the pain.

That's a tough call. My cat was 18, and I knew she didn't have long to
live. But it seems that there should be some pain medication that would
have kept her comfortable as long as she was alive.

Rene[_2_]
June 27th 11, 09:46 PM
Of course there are pain medications for cats! Because of a cat's
metabolism, there are fewer options than say, dogs have, but there are
still some choices. Catlady's suggestion is a good one.

I would certainly question this vet's reasoning. It's not right IMO to
deny a cat in severe pain access to pain medication.

Rene

John Doe
July 14th 11, 08:20 AM
What an asshole...