PDA

View Full Version : Snuggles is not pooping

tbenner
July 1st 11, 01:46 AM
Snuggles is 13 years old and had to have her 6 lower back teeth
pulled last Friday. I've been feeding her Perscription Diet a/d food
since. She has not hardly pooped since last Friday. I'm wondering if
the a/d food has so little waste that she just doesn't need to go?
Have other people seen this as well after feeding their cat the a/d
food?

Thanks

[Tim]

July 1st 11, 11:35 PM
On Jun 30, 5:46*pm, tbenner > wrote:
> * *Snuggles is 13 years old and had to have her 6 lower back teeth
> pulled last Friday. *I've been feeding her Perscription Diet a/d food
> since. *She has not hardly pooped since last Friday. *I'm wondering if
> the a/d food has so little waste that she just doesn't need to go?
> * *Have other people seen this as well after feeding their cat the a/d
> food?

I haven't used this food, or had the dental surgery yet (my cat has
had a couple teeth out, but will be having most of them pulled next
month). But I have learned that older cats have a harder time with
their digestive system. She may need a supplement to help her avoid
constipation. My balinese would get constipated ferquently until I
added a supplement that helped. I would check with your vet. It could
also be a side effect of the medicine or anesthetic from the surgery.

jmc[_2_]
July 2nd 11, 12:54 AM
Suddenly, without warning, tbenner exclaimed (6/30/2011 8:46 PM):
> Snuggles is 13 years old and had to have her 6 lower back teeth
> pulled last Friday. I've been feeding her Perscription Diet a/d food
> since. She has not hardly pooped since last Friday. I'm wondering if
> the a/d food has so little waste that she just doesn't need to go?
> Have other people seen this as well after feeding their cat the a/d
> food?
>
> Thanks
>
> [Tim]

Does she make trips to the litterbox but not do anything? Does she seem
uncomfortable (or even just grumpier than normal) or spend less time
moving around than normal?

Keep in mind, if she's not eating much, she won't poop much either.

An entire week without a BM would be a red flag thing for me - anything
over three days and my vet get concerned. If I were you I'd call the
vet ASAP.

If she's on dry food, try wet. You might need to add something to her
diet, I give my 15 year old cat Miralax to help with her chronic
constipation problems.

jmc