PDA

View Full Version : auto-immune disease in cats


Ann Maree
July 13th 11, 01:16 AM
Hi, I just found your group tonight, and want to know if anyone here has
ever had a cat that developed an auto-immune disease which resulted in
my cats immune system attacking his own body, with inflammation and an
angry growth in the gums around the teeth? My cat Sam has this problem.
My vet, who I trust 100 %, did a laser treatment on the growth and for a
month Sam was ok. He was also on Prednilsone. Now that he is off the
steroids, the growth is returning. Next week he returns for another
laser treatment, and removal of two teeth. I feel horrible because I
know the pain Sam will be in after the laser treatment. He was in bad
pain after the last treatment, for about a week. I love my little Sam
so much, and would be interested in finding someone who has been down
this path before. I'm sorry, I cannot remember tonight what this is
called?

Thank you!
Annie

dgk
July 13th 11, 01:35 PM
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 19:16:26 -0500, (Ann Maree)
wrote:

>Hi, I just found your group tonight, and want to know if anyone here has
>ever had a cat that developed an auto-immune disease which resulted in
>my cats immune system attacking his own body, with inflammation and an
>angry growth in the gums around the teeth? My cat Sam has this problem.
>My vet, who I trust 100 %, did a laser treatment on the growth and for a
>month Sam was ok. He was also on Prednilsone. Now that he is off the
>steroids, the growth is returning. Next week he returns for another
>laser treatment, and removal of two teeth. I feel horrible because I
>know the pain Sam will be in after the laser treatment. He was in bad
>pain after the last treatment, for about a week. I love my little Sam
>so much, and would be interested in finding someone who has been down
>this path before. I'm sorry, I cannot remember tonight what this is
>called?
>
>Thank you!
>Annie

I once adopted Jackie, a very old cat who had some reaction to either
her own teeth or the bacteria living in the pockets around them. The
only solution was to have all of her teeth pulled, many of which were
broken off below the gum line. She was much better after that and
didn't seem to have much trouble eating.

I would think that the growth is possibly unrelated to the autoimmune
problem, but I'm not a doctor or vet. Jackie did have multiple health
problems, including cancer, so maybe there was a connection. I don't
know what the laser treatment is good for either but maybe it was
developed in the 8 or so years since Jackie died.

We all know that it's tough to decide how or even if to treat cats
since they're so stoic. Just do your best and we'll send out some
Purrs for Sam.

Ann Maree
July 13th 11, 06:57 PM
My vet has treated other cats with this same auto-immune disease, and is
having really good luck with a cat named Otis. I am confident he will
take good care of my Sam. I guess I was just hoping to find someone else
who has a cat with this problem. I have an auto-immune disease myself (
Rheumatoid Arthritis ) and have lived with it for years, so I know what
it can do to either a human body or a cat body! :) Thanks for your reply
dgk and for the cat purrs for Sam! He is only about two years old, and
came as a stray to us about a year ago. He was scared, skin and bones,
and looked as if someone had thrown some type of acid on him. It took
him a few weeks to even let me touch him. Now he is part of my cat
family ( 6 other cats! ) and loved very much!

Annie

Bill Graham
July 13th 11, 09:02 PM
Ann Maree wrote:
> Hi, I just found your group tonight, and want to know if anyone here
> has ever had a cat that developed an auto-immune disease which
> resulted in my cats immune system attacking his own body, with
> inflammation and an angry growth in the gums around the teeth? My
> cat Sam has this problem. My vet, who I trust 100 %, did a laser
> treatment on the growth and for a month Sam was ok. He was also on
> Prednilsone. Now that he is off the steroids, the growth is
> returning. Next week he returns for another laser treatment, and
> removal of two teeth. I feel horrible because I know the pain Sam
> will be in after the laser treatment. He was in bad pain after the
> last treatment, for about a week. I love my little Sam so much, and
> would be interested in finding someone who has been down this path
> before. I'm sorry, I cannot remember tonight what this is called?
>
> Thank you!
> Annie

There are drugs for humans that will fight some of these kinds of
auto-immune diseases. Perhaps you should ask your vet if any of these drugs
will work on cats. I know that there is a drug I can take that will "cure"
my psoriasis. But it will also leave me slightly more subseptable to other
diseases like tuberculosis, so I choose to live with the skin condition.

Bill Graham
July 13th 11, 09:06 PM
dgk wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 19:16:26 -0500, (Ann Maree)
> wrote:
>
>> Hi, I just found your group tonight, and want to know if anyone here
>> has ever had a cat that developed an auto-immune disease which
>> resulted in my cats immune system attacking his own body, with
>> inflammation and an angry growth in the gums around the teeth? My
>> cat Sam has this problem. My vet, who I trust 100 %, did a laser
>> treatment on the growth and for a month Sam was ok. He was also on
>> Prednilsone. Now that he is off the steroids, the growth is
>> returning. Next week he returns for another laser treatment, and
>> removal of two teeth. I feel horrible because I know the pain Sam
>> will be in after the laser treatment. He was in bad pain after the
>> last treatment, for about a week. I love my little Sam so much, and
>> would be interested in finding someone who has been down this path
>> before. I'm sorry, I cannot remember tonight what this is called?
>>
>> Thank you!
>> Annie
>
> I once adopted Jackie, a very old cat who had some reaction to either
> her own teeth or the bacteria living in the pockets around them. The
> only solution was to have all of her teeth pulled, many of which were
> broken off below the gum line. She was much better after that and
> didn't seem to have much trouble eating.
>
> I would think that the growth is possibly unrelated to the autoimmune
> problem, but I'm not a doctor or vet. Jackie did have multiple health
> problems, including cancer, so maybe there was a connection. I don't
> know what the laser treatment is good for either but maybe it was
> developed in the 8 or so years since Jackie died.
>
> We all know that it's tough to decide how or even if to treat cats
> since they're so stoic. Just do your best and we'll send out some
> Purrs for Sam.

My Smokey is so old we had all his teeth removed too. they were mostly
rotten and giving him a lot of pain (he was feral) Now, since he doesn't
have to catch his own food, he really has no need for teeth. His cat food is
already cut up into little bites, and cats generally swallow whatever they
can break up whole anyway. He is a much happier cat without those rotten
teeth, and much healthier too.

Bill Graham
July 13th 11, 09:16 PM
Ann Maree wrote:
> My vet has treated other cats with this same auto-immune disease, and
> is having really good luck with a cat named Otis. I am confident he
> will take good care of my Sam. I guess I was just hoping to find
> someone else who has a cat with this problem. I have an auto-immune
> disease myself ( Rheumatoid Arthritis ) and have lived with it for
> years, so I know what it can do to either a human body or a cat body!
> :) Thanks for your reply dgk and for the cat purrs for Sam! He is
> only about two years old, and came as a stray to us about a year ago.
> He was scared, skin and bones, and looked as if someone had thrown
> some type of acid on him. It took him a few weeks to even let me
> touch him. Now he is part of my cat family ( 6 other cats! ) and
> loved very much!
>
> Annie

Its really wonderful to read about people who have rescued cdats )and other
animals) who were sick, or hurt, or otherwise destined for miserable deaths,
and are now happy and comfortable. My B-K was living on onion rings and
french fried potatoes that people threw at him in that Burger King parking
lot before I rescued him and gave him another 6-1/2 years of really fine
living. Our Smokey was feral and had a miserable disease, and we have had
him over ten years now, and he is still doing fine. These poor creatures
are born into this universe just like you and I are. They didn't choose to
be here, but now that they are, we should do what we can to make their brief
lives as comfortable as possible. I don't believe there is any profession or
pastime that is mare worthy that this.

chaniarts
July 13th 11, 10:39 PM
Ann Maree wrote:
> My vet has treated other cats with this same auto-immune disease, and
> is having really good luck with a cat named Otis. I am confident he
> will take good care of my Sam. I guess I was just hoping to find
> someone else who has a cat with this problem. I have an auto-immune
> disease myself ( Rheumatoid Arthritis ) and have lived with it for
> years, so I know what it can do to either a human body or a cat body!
> :) Thanks for your reply dgk and for the cat purrs for Sam! He is
> only about two years old, and came as a stray to us about a year ago.
> He was scared, skin and bones, and looked as if someone had thrown
> some type of acid on him. It took him a few weeks to even let me
> touch him. Now he is part of my cat family ( 6 other cats! ) and
> loved very much!
>
> Annie

i have a cat that has some sort of a-i disease. we found the giving him food
that had no corn or wheat in it cleared it up after a few months. we found
that rice is ok, but we try to find food that has no grains or at least
they're listed way down on the list of ingrediants.

Ann Maree
July 13th 11, 11:10 PM
I have 6 other cats besides my Sam. Two ( Tom and Poo ) I found in a
trash dumpster behind a restaurant where I worked years ago. They were
only 2 days old. A co-worker helped me get them out, and to the vet I
went! They are now inside spoiled rotten cats! It was fun bottle feeding
them, and raising them from such an early age! Someone had thrown them
in the dumpster. They were 4 kittens, but an employee at the vet's
office took two for herself. They are now 9 years old. Another cat,
Mama, was a stray when we moved to the country years ago. We gradually
took her in as one of the family too, and she had two kittens who are
also part of the family. ( Ranger and Whiner ) The last one, Storm, my
son and I found one stormy night alone on a country road. He was maybe 5
weeks old. We asked around, but nobody ever claimed him, so he became a
member of the family too!

Now we have a stray black cat hanging around........ :)

Annie

Bill Graham
July 13th 11, 11:50 PM
chaniarts wrote:
> Ann Maree wrote:
>> My vet has treated other cats with this same auto-immune disease, and
>> is having really good luck with a cat named Otis. I am confident he
>> will take good care of my Sam. I guess I was just hoping to find
>> someone else who has a cat with this problem. I have an auto-immune
>> disease myself ( Rheumatoid Arthritis ) and have lived with it for
>> years, so I know what it can do to either a human body or a cat body!
>> :) Thanks for your reply dgk and for the cat purrs for Sam! He is
>> only about two years old, and came as a stray to us about a year ago.
>> He was scared, skin and bones, and looked as if someone had thrown
>> some type of acid on him. It took him a few weeks to even let me
>> touch him. Now he is part of my cat family ( 6 other cats! ) and
>> loved very much!
>>
>> Annie
>
> i have a cat that has some sort of a-i disease. we found the giving
> him food that had no corn or wheat in it cleared it up after a few
> months. we found that rice is ok, but we try to find food that has no
> grains or at least they're listed way down on the list of ingrediants.

This is an allergy, and not necessarily an auto-immune disease. An auto
immune disease is when you are allergic to yourself, or something that is
necessary for your life. Like my psoriases. I am allergic to my own skin.
So, my body kills it off and it dries up and crumbles away every few hours,
and I have to keep replacing it. Fortunately, my skin is capable of
replacing itself as fast as my body rejects it, so I don't die as a result
of the allergy. but this is sometimes not the case with other auto immune
diseases. Thius is why I try different foods on my cats and give them the
opportunity to eat a variety of stuff instead of trying to keep them fixed
on any one brand, reguardless of how much other people tell me how
beneficial it is. What is beneficial to one cat may not be so to others.

chaniarts
July 13th 11, 11:55 PM
Bill Graham wrote:
> chaniarts wrote:
>> Ann Maree wrote:
>>> My vet has treated other cats with this same auto-immune disease,
>>> and is having really good luck with a cat named Otis. I am
>>> confident he will take good care of my Sam. I guess I was just
>>> hoping to find someone else who has a cat with this problem. I
>>> have an auto-immune disease myself ( Rheumatoid Arthritis ) and
>>> have lived with it for years, so I know what it can do to either a
>>> human body or a cat body! :) Thanks for your reply dgk and for the
>>> cat purrs for Sam! He is only about two years old, and came as a
>>> stray to us about a year ago. He was scared, skin and bones, and
>>> looked as if someone had thrown some type of acid on him. It took
>>> him a few weeks to even let me touch him. Now he is part of my cat
>>> family ( 6 other cats! ) and loved very much!
>>>
>>> Annie
>>
>> i have a cat that has some sort of a-i disease. we found the giving
>> him food that had no corn or wheat in it cleared it up after a few
>> months. we found that rice is ok, but we try to find food that has no
>> grains or at least they're listed way down on the list of
>> ingrediants.
>
> This is an allergy, and not necessarily an auto-immune disease. An
> auto immune disease is when you are allergic to yourself, or
> something that is necessary for your life. Like my psoriases. I am
> allergic to my own skin. So, my body kills it off and it dries up and
> crumbles away every few hours, and I have to keep replacing it.
> Fortunately, my skin is capable of replacing itself as fast as my
> body rejects it, so I don't die as a result of the allergy. but this
> is sometimes not the case with other auto immune diseases. Thius is
> why I try different foods on my cats and give them the opportunity to
> eat a variety of stuff instead of trying to keep them fixed on any
> one brand, reguardless of how much other people tell me how
> beneficial it is. What is beneficial to one cat may not be so to
> others.

perhaps. there are similar a-i diseases in humans. coincidently, my wife has
celiac disease, which is one. a manifistation of this is a skin disorder,
very similar to what is experienced by my, and the OP's, cat.

celiac disease is where the body doesn't have certain proteins to deal with
glutens (present in wheat, rye, barley, and oats) in the intestines, which
causes all sorts of other problems.

however, the good side of this problem is that my wife can safely eat the
cat food.

Bill Graham
July 13th 11, 11:57 PM
Ann Maree wrote:
> I have 6 other cats besides my Sam. Two ( Tom and Poo ) I found in a
> trash dumpster behind a restaurant where I worked years ago. They
> were only 2 days old. A co-worker helped me get them out, and to the
> vet I went! They are now inside spoiled rotten cats! It was fun
> bottle feeding them, and raising them from such an early age! Someone
> had thrown them in the dumpster. They were 4 kittens, but an employee
> at the vet's office took two for herself. They are now 9 years old.
> Another cat, Mama, was a stray when we moved to the country years
> ago. We gradually took her in as one of the family too, and she had
> two kittens who are also part of the family. ( Ranger and Whiner )
> The last one, Storm, my son and I found one stormy night alone on a
> country road. He was maybe 5 weeks old. We asked around, but nobody
> ever claimed him, so he became a member of the family too!
>
> Now we have a stray black cat hanging around........ :)
>
> Annie

Sounds like you are about to get an eighth cat. This is basically how I
aquired all my cats. they just wandered in and liked the "cut of my jib" so
they stayed. Mine are all outside cats, so they can leave at any time. Not
surprisingly, they stay pretty close to home. The females all hiss and spit
at each other inside the house, but when they are out on the porch sunning
themselves, they get along pretty well. I guess they only consider inside
the house their, "territory". The males seem to get along very well with
everyone. I know I will evertually get another male, but no cat will ever be
able to replace B-K.

Bill Graham
July 14th 11, 12:02 AM
chaniarts wrote:
> Bill Graham wrote:
>> chaniarts wrote:
>>> Ann Maree wrote:
>>>> My vet has treated other cats with this same auto-immune disease,
>>>> and is having really good luck with a cat named Otis. I am
>>>> confident he will take good care of my Sam. I guess I was just
>>>> hoping to find someone else who has a cat with this problem. I
>>>> have an auto-immune disease myself ( Rheumatoid Arthritis ) and
>>>> have lived with it for years, so I know what it can do to either a
>>>> human body or a cat body! :) Thanks for your reply dgk and for the
>>>> cat purrs for Sam! He is only about two years old, and came as a
>>>> stray to us about a year ago. He was scared, skin and bones, and
>>>> looked as if someone had thrown some type of acid on him. It took
>>>> him a few weeks to even let me touch him. Now he is part of my cat
>>>> family ( 6 other cats! ) and loved very much!
>>>>
>>>> Annie
>>>
>>> i have a cat that has some sort of a-i disease. we found the giving
>>> him food that had no corn or wheat in it cleared it up after a few
>>> months. we found that rice is ok, but we try to find food that has
>>> no grains or at least they're listed way down on the list of
>>> ingrediants.
>>
>> This is an allergy, and not necessarily an auto-immune disease. An
>> auto immune disease is when you are allergic to yourself, or
>> something that is necessary for your life. Like my psoriases. I am
>> allergic to my own skin. So, my body kills it off and it dries up and
>> crumbles away every few hours, and I have to keep replacing it.
>> Fortunately, my skin is capable of replacing itself as fast as my
>> body rejects it, so I don't die as a result of the allergy. but this
>> is sometimes not the case with other auto immune diseases. Thius is
>> why I try different foods on my cats and give them the opportunity to
>> eat a variety of stuff instead of trying to keep them fixed on any
>> one brand, reguardless of how much other people tell me how
>> beneficial it is. What is beneficial to one cat may not be so to
>> others.
>
> perhaps. there are similar a-i diseases in humans. coincidently, my
> wife has celiac disease, which is one. a manifistation of this is a
> skin disorder, very similar to what is experienced by my, and the
> OP's, cat.
> celiac disease is where the body doesn't have certain proteins to
> deal with glutens (present in wheat, rye, barley, and oats) in the
> intestines, which causes all sorts of other problems.
>
> however, the good side of this problem is that my wife can safely eat
> the cat food.

Ha! That proves that there is some benefit to almost everything... I used to
have a girl friend wh was allergic to glutens. Unfortunately, she loved hot
pastrami sandwiches. I did too, so I would bring them to her. After a while
she dumped me.... I guess she figured that there couldn't ever be anything
good that would come out of our relationship....:^)

Gandalf[_2_]
July 14th 11, 03:17 AM
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 19:16:26 -0500, (Ann Maree)
wrote:

>Hi, I just found your group tonight, and want to know if anyone here has
>ever had a cat that developed an auto-immune disease which resulted in
>my cats immune system attacking his own body, with inflammation and an
>angry growth in the gums around the teeth? My cat Sam has this problem.
>My vet, who I trust 100 %, did a laser treatment on the growth and for a
>month Sam was ok. He was also on Prednilsone. Now that he is off the
>steroids, the growth is returning. Next week he returns for another
>laser treatment, and removal of two teeth. I feel horrible because I
>know the pain Sam will be in after the laser treatment. He was in bad
>pain after the last treatment, for about a week. I love my little Sam
>so much, and would be interested in finding someone who has been down
>this path before. I'm sorry, I cannot remember tonight what this is
>called?
>
>Thank you!
>Annie

An auto immune disease does not 'go away', or 'get better'.

It can only be treated, and managed, with medication.

You cat should STAY on prednisone, and your vet should KNOW this.

Often, starting on a high dose, and then tapering to a lower dose, can
keep it in check.

But taking him OFF the prednisone was a VERY big mistake: it just
allowed the auto immune process to return...with a vengeance.

Also: ask your vet about PAIN MEDICATION for your cat.

Managing pain in an animal they treat is one of the MOST IMPORTANT
things a vet is SUPPOSED to do.

That your vet didn't, is NOT a good sign, IMHO.

If I was in your shoes, I would be looking for a BETTER vet. A MUCH
better vet.

Yours is NOT doing a good job, AT ALL, IMHO.

Laser treatments, and removing teeth, AFTER your vet ALLOWED the auto
immune process to RESUME, by stopping the prednisone, is grounds for
filing a complaint with your state's veterinary practice board.

Is there a University based veterinary school anywhere near you?

You NEED a more experienced veterinarian, ASAP.

You have already run up some VERY BIG vet bills, and until the auto
immune process is PROPERLY CONTROLLED, they will continue.

You vet may be doing the best they can...but they are NOT doing what
NEEDS to be done, to properly treat your cat.

John Doe
July 14th 11, 08:16 AM
Amazing... How some hyperactive asshole has the gall to talk like
he is a veterinarian with intimate knowledge of the condition of a
cat he has never even seen.

Only on the Internet... Hopefully.
--












See also
ingold1234 news-2.mpls.iphouse.net
Gandalf <ingold1234(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> Path: news.astraweb.com!border6.newsrouter.astraweb.com! news.glorb.com!news-out.octanews.net!indigo.octanews.net!auth.news-1.mpls.iphouse.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
> From: Gandalf <ingold1234(at)yahoo(dot)com>
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Subject: Re: auto-immune disease in cats
> Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 22:17:07 -0400
> Reply-To: ingold1234, (at)yahoo(dot)com
> Message-ID: <dljs17p2roletgc0pvbn1p3plpk8m8uclq 4ax.com>
> References: <14357-4E1CE3DA-1396 storefull-3171.bay.webtv.net>
> X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 6.00/32.1186
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 110713-1, 07/13/2011), Outbound message
> X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
> Lines: 60
> Organization: ipHouse - Welcome Home!
> NNTP-Posting-Date: 13 Jul 2011 21:17:00 CDT
> NNTP-Posting-Host: ba0bb422.auth.newsreader.iphouse.com
> X-Trace: DXC=X37JfaA2oS2VmSc X^4b^8e=fFUe;FGE9FbE0<hKBJT?ETb<OcfCaj?GnE1N>P>5T7U7fAo\A5l_8gi:cYFB?dW:P_:DfZDNc16
> X-Complaints-To: abuse iphouse.net
>
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 19:16:26 -0500, AMaree_716 webtv.net (Ann Maree)
> wrote:
>
>>Hi, I just found your group tonight, and want to know if anyone here has
>>ever had a cat that developed an auto-immune disease which resulted in
>>my cats immune system attacking his own body, with inflammation and an
>>angry growth in the gums around the teeth? My cat Sam has this problem.
>>My vet, who I trust 100 %, did a laser treatment on the growth and for a
>>month Sam was ok. He was also on Prednilsone. Now that he is off the
>>steroids, the growth is returning. Next week he returns for another
>>laser treatment, and removal of two teeth. I feel horrible because I
>>know the pain Sam will be in after the laser treatment. He was in bad
>>pain after the last treatment, for about a week. I love my little Sam
>>so much, and would be interested in finding someone who has been down
>>this path before. I'm sorry, I cannot remember tonight what this is
>>called?
>>
>>Thank you!
>>Annie
>
> An auto immune disease does not 'go away', or 'get better'.
>
> It can only be treated, and managed, with medication.
>
> You cat should STAY on prednisone, and your vet should KNOW this.
>
> Often, starting on a high dose, and then tapering to a lower dose, can
> keep it in check.
>
> But taking him OFF the prednisone was a VERY big mistake: it just
> allowed the auto immune process to return...with a vengeance.
>
> Also: ask your vet about PAIN MEDICATION for your cat.
>
> Managing pain in an animal they treat is one of the MOST IMPORTANT
> things a vet is SUPPOSED to do.
>
> That your vet didn't, is NOT a good sign, IMHO.
>
> If I was in your shoes, I would be looking for a BETTER vet. A MUCH
> better vet.
>
> Yours is NOT doing a good job, AT ALL, IMHO.
>
> Laser treatments, and removing teeth, AFTER your vet ALLOWED the auto
> immune process to RESUME, by stopping the prednisone, is grounds for
> filing a complaint with your state's veterinary practice board.
>
> Is there a University based veterinary school anywhere near you?
>
> You NEED a more experienced veterinarian, ASAP.
>
> You have already run up some VERY BIG vet bills, and until the auto
> immune process is PROPERLY CONTROLLED, they will continue.
>
> You vet may be doing the best they can...but they are NOT doing what
> NEEDS to be done, to properly treat your cat.
>
>
>
>
>

dgk
July 14th 11, 02:11 PM
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 15:57:12 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>Ann Maree wrote:
>> I have 6 other cats besides my Sam. Two ( Tom and Poo ) I found in a
>> trash dumpster behind a restaurant where I worked years ago. They
>> were only 2 days old. A co-worker helped me get them out, and to the
>> vet I went! They are now inside spoiled rotten cats! It was fun
>> bottle feeding them, and raising them from such an early age! Someone
>> had thrown them in the dumpster. They were 4 kittens, but an employee
>> at the vet's office took two for herself. They are now 9 years old.
>> Another cat, Mama, was a stray when we moved to the country years
>> ago. We gradually took her in as one of the family too, and she had
>> two kittens who are also part of the family. ( Ranger and Whiner )
>> The last one, Storm, my son and I found one stormy night alone on a
>> country road. He was maybe 5 weeks old. We asked around, but nobody
>> ever claimed him, so he became a member of the family too!
>>
>> Now we have a stray black cat hanging around........ :)
>>
>> Annie
>
>Sounds like you are about to get an eighth cat. This is basically how I
>aquired all my cats. they just wandered in and liked the "cut of my jib" so
>they stayed. Mine are all outside cats, so they can leave at any time. Not
>surprisingly, they stay pretty close to home. The females all hiss and spit
>at each other inside the house, but when they are out on the porch sunning
>themselves, they get along pretty well. I guess they only consider inside
>the house their, "territory". The males seem to get along very well with
>everyone. I know I will evertually get another male, but no cat will ever be
>able to replace B-K.

No cat really replaces another; they're all so different. I miss my
past cats and treasure the ones I have now, knowing that someday they,
or I, or both, will be gone.

dgk
July 14th 11, 02:29 PM
On 14 Jul 2011 07:16:22 GMT, John Doe > wrote:

>Amazing... How some hyperactive asshole has the gall to talk like
>he is a veterinarian with intimate knowledge of the condition of a
>cat he has never even seen.
>
>Only on the Internet... Hopefully.

Maybe, but his advice wasn't all bad. It is a good idea to get a
second opinion so checking with another vet can't hurt except a bit in
the old wallet.

And he's right about tapering off Prednisone rather than just stopping
it; that's well known. Prednisone inhibits the body's production of
steroids and just cutting it off leaves the body without even its
normal steroid production.

Also, my understanding from when my own cat needed to take Prednisone
was that cats handle that drug better than people do and can be on it
for long periods of time. People can develop serious side effects with
extended use.

Ann Maree[_2_]
July 14th 11, 03:58 PM
Thank you for your reply, but you are talking as if I don't have a brain
in my head! I do have blonde hair, but I not dumb!

First of all, I KNOW, I repeat, I KNOW about auto-immune diseases, and
PREDNISONE! I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, and have had it for over 20
years! It is an auto-immune disease! I KNOW auto-immune diseases don't
"go away"! I have been on and off Prednisone ( and other medications )
for years! You can stop Prednisone without a gradual weaning off IF
only on it a s-h-o-r-t time. As for taking Sam off the Prednisone it
was only because his growth was returning EVEN on the steroids, and it
is dangerous to be on Prednisone for long periods of time. As I said a
few sentences ago, I have been on and off it for years, and
know/understand the side effects and potential harm of Prednisone quite
well!

I have had my vet for over 20 years. He is a wonderful, kind, caring,
man who is extremely intelligent, and one of the best vets in our area.
He came highly recommended years ago, and if you knew him, you would
realize how wrong your opinion was!

Sam WAS on pain medication! He is NOT in pain now, and only was after
his laser treatment. Sometimes not all pain can be completely
controlled with medication! I was only looking for someone who had a cat
with this same problem that I could talk with, and never ever expected a
person in this nice group to say rude comments about my vet. I don't
have "VERY BIG" expensive vet bills either. My vet is like a part of
our family after so many years, and is very fair with us financially.
Our account is always paid the day of service. My cats all love him,
and show no fear of him or his staff.

You tell me what you would do if you were "in my shoes", well, I
wouldn't want to be in your shoes. I try to be a nice person, and I
like almost every person I meet. How you can sit there and tell me how
horrible my vet is when you have never met him, his wife, his staff, my
cats, or me?

You must have had a very bad experience with a vet sometime in your life
to give such an opinion when you have no idea on earth what you are
talking about!

Thank you to everyone else here for your kind words and offer of
support. I think even Gandalf meant well, ( I really do believe that
and think you are a good person who loves animals! ) but oh my gosh was
Gandalf, you are so wrong!


Annie & Sam

Ann Maree[_2_]
July 14th 11, 04:05 PM
John Doe wrote:

"Amazing... How some hyperactive asshole has the gall to talk like he is
a veterinarian with intimate knowledge of the condition of a cat he has
never even seen.

Only on the Internet... Hopefully."


Thank you John Doe! While I wouldn't call Gandalf an "a______", we do
agree with what you wrote!

Annie & Sam :)

Gandalf[_2_]
July 14th 11, 08:13 PM
On 14 Jul 2011 07:16:22 GMT, John Doe > wrote:

>Amazing... How some hyperactive asshole has the gall to talk like
>he is a veterinarian with intimate knowledge of the condition of a
>cat he has never even seen.
>
>Only on the Internet... Hopefully.

No, I'm not a vet; I just worked for one.

Bad vets are as common as bad doctors.

I've met many of both.

No pain medication after OBVIOUSLY painful surgery?

Really? *REALLY*???

The is NO EXCUSE for that. No way, no how.

I would be filing a written complaint for that alone.

Add in the other f*ck-ups, and that vet would be in BIG TROUBLE, if he
did that to my cat...but then, I wouldn't have LET him.

When you put your trust in a supposedly highly trained professional, and
they DON'T DO THEIR JOB, there is no excuse.

A licensed veterinarian should know MORE about using prednisone than I
do, not less.

F*ckups with basic medication like this can result in deaths to beloved
pets.

And NO PAIN MEDICATION after surgery?

Really? *REALLY*???

I would be writing letters, if this was my cat.

Bill Graham
July 14th 11, 08:45 PM
Ann Maree wrote:
> John Doe wrote:
>
> "Amazing... How some hyperactive asshole has the gall to talk like he
> is a veterinarian with intimate knowledge of the condition of a cat
> he has never even seen.
>
> Only on the Internet... Hopefully."
>
>
> Thank you John Doe! While I wouldn't call Gandalf an "a______", we do
> agree with what you wrote!
>
> Annie & Sam :)

Vets have a big problem. They all have it. It is the fact that their
patients can't communicate with them. In this respect, their job is much
harder than that of a human doctor. And the good ones...The honest ones...
Suffer just as much when they make mistakes as do human doctors. It is
certainly a job that I couldn't handle. I am very glad that I devoted my
life to fixing machines, rather than living things. My mistakes only cost
money, and money can be replaced with work.

Ann Maree
July 14th 11, 09:01 PM
Please go back and read my letter again. I told you Sam WAS TAKING pain
medication after his surgery, and I don't know what other "f-ck-ups" you
are even talking about! I have 7 HEALTHY cats, and a dog, and my vet
has been taking care of them for all their lives, plus other pets I had!
I am sitting here laughing to myself at how you are so sure about
yourself, and you don't even know my vet! I know you are a GOOD person
because you love and care about animals, but if you knew ME or my VET,
you would realize how wrong you are. I would never do anything to harm
my cats, or any other animal. You say you have met "many" bad vets and
doctors. It sounds to me like maybe you don't trust either vets or
doctors, and all your talk about written complaints! I would guess you
have written a few of those! Good thing you aren't a Police Officer or
everyone would get a ticket! :) I know everyone has their own
opinions, but you really shouldn't be taking bad about people or
situations you don't even know anything about. As I said before in the
earlier post, you don't know me, or my vet, his wife, his staff, or any
of my cats! How can you possibly judge me or my vet?

Kelly Greene[_4_]
July 31st 11, 11:58 PM
"Ann Maree" > wrote in message
...
> Hi, I just found your group tonight, and want to know if anyone here has
> ever had a cat that developed an auto-immune disease which resulted in
> my cats immune system attacking his own body, with inflammation and an
> angry growth in the gums around the teeth? My cat Sam has this problem.
> My vet, who I trust 100 %, did a laser treatment on the growth and for a
> month Sam was ok. He was also on Prednilsone. Now that he is off the
> steroids, the growth is returning. Next week he returns for another
> laser treatment, and removal of two teeth. I feel horrible because I
> know the pain Sam will be in after the laser treatment. He was in bad
> pain after the last treatment, for about a week. I love my little Sam
> so much, and would be interested in finding someone who has been down
> this path before. I'm sorry, I cannot remember tonight what this is
> called?
>
> Thank you!
> Annie
>

There are pain killers for cat these days. You may want to take him
elsewhere for a second opinion.

Doug Bashford[_2_]
August 24th 11, 06:36 PM
about: Re: auto-immune disease in cats;
On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 09:29:21 -0400, dgk wrote:


> On 14 Jul 2011 07:16:22 GMT, John Doe > wrote:
>
> >Amazing... How some hyperactive asshole has the gall to talk like
> >he is a veterinarian with intimate knowledge of the condition of a
> >cat he has never even seen.
> >
> >Only on the Internet... Hopefully.
>
> Maybe, but his advice wasn't all bad. It is a good idea to get a
> second opinion so checking with another vet can't hurt except a bit in
> the old wallet.
>
> And he's right about tapering off Prednisone rather than just stopping
> it; that's well known. Prednisone inhibits the body's production of
> steroids and just cutting it off leaves the body without even its
> normal steroid production.
>
> Also, my understanding from when my own cat needed to take Prednisone
> was that cats handle that drug better than people do and can be on it
> for long periods of time. People can develop serious side effects with
> extended use.

You both sound like you know some facts and logic.
That's better than nothing.
I have a $20 bill that says she never got
that second opinion. That's so sad, my eyes
hurt.

So how about a joke?

Q: What's the difference between a doctor and God?


A: God has more worshippers.



The insane twist the facts to fit their world view.
The rational change their world view to fit the facts.

Doug Bashford[_2_]
August 24th 11, 06:54 PM
Re: auto-immune disease in cats;
On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 17:58:59 -0500, Kelly Greene wrote:
> "Ann Maree" > wrote...


> > the growth is returning. Next week he returns for another
> > laser treatment, and removal of two teeth. I feel horrible because I
> > know the pain Sam will be in after the laser treatment. He was in bad
> > pain after the last treatment, for about a week. I love my little Sam
> > Thank you! > > Annie

> There are pain killers for cat these days. You may want to take him
> elsewhere for a second opinion.

Often truth, even common sense, sounds
like BLASPHEMY to the faithful.

But alas, we only blaspheme because we
know not the smile her god and goddess
- errr I mean...her vet and his charming wife
and staff.

Poor Sam. ...possibly being loved to death......
....how common.....

> You may want to take him
> elsewhere for a second opinion.

She wants cuddling, not truth.

Fact is, in this case, one might
be about as effective as the other.
(I try to find the bright side.)





The insane twist the facts to fit their world view.
The rational change their world view to fit the facts.

Patok[_2_]
August 24th 11, 09:23 PM
Doug Bashford wrote:
>
> So how about a joke?

Oh goody. Jokes, yum.


> Q: What's the difference between a doctor and God?
> A: God has more worshippers.

> The insane twist the facts to fit their world view.
> The rational change their world view to fit the facts.

Which one is the joke?

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
*
Whoever bans a book, shall be banished. Whoever burns a book, shall burn.

Bill Graham
August 25th 11, 09:48 PM
Patok wrote:
> Doug Bashford wrote:
>>
>> So how about a joke?
>
> Oh goody. Jokes, yum.
>
>
>> Q: What's the difference between a doctor and God?
>> A: God has more worshippers.

The way I heard it is: God doesn't think he's a doctor.

Jay Leno had a college diploma the other night. On the back was printed cut
& paste instructions for turning it into a fast food hat.....

Doug Bashford[_2_]
August 30th 11, 01:20 AM
in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh, about: Re: auto-immune disease in
cats;
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 16:23:12 -0400, Patok wrote:


> Doug Bashford wrote:
> >
> > So how about a joke?
>
> Oh goody. Jokes, yum.
>
>
> > Q: What's the difference between a doctor and God?
> > A: God has more worshippers.
>
> > The insane twist the facts to fit their world view.
> > The rational change their world view to fit the facts.
>
> Which one is the joke?

Good point.

The insane twist the facts to fit their world view.
The rational change their world view to fit the facts.

Doug Bashford[_2_]
August 30th 11, 01:38 AM
about: Re: auto-immune disease in cats;
On Thu, 25 Aug 2011, Bill Graham wrote:


> Patok wrote:
> > Doug Bashford wrote:
> >>
> >> So how about a joke?
> >
> > Oh goody. Jokes, yum.
> >
> >
> >> Q: What's the difference between a doctor and God?
> >> A: God has more worshippers.
>
> The way I heard it is: God doesn't think he's a doctor.

Laugh! Yeah OK, that's the original.
But our context was... (yuk yuk yuk!)........
doctor worshippinggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!


OK..yeah it was really...vet worship
-same-same almost?

Another joke?

Q: What's the difference between a doctor and a vet?

A: Some states record how many patients doctors kill.

HAR HAR HAR!!!

<sheepish grin> (right?)


Q: What's the main difference between a doctor and a vet?

A: The insurance payments!



Q: What's the difference between a doctor and a mechanic?

A: Engines NEVER, EVER, NEVER get better by themselves.



Q: What's the difference between a doctor and a mechanic?

A: The doctor can bury his mistakes!




Q: What's the difference between a doctor and a mechanic?

A: The doctor washes his hands AFTER he pees!

>
> Jay Leno had a college diploma the other night. On the back was printed cut
> & paste instructions for turning it into a fast food hat.....


Laugh!

The insane twist the facts to fit their world view.
The rational change their world view to fit the facts.