PDA

View Full Version : contacting news group

barb
August 11th 11, 01:46 PM
With this new Windows 7 I suspect I am not getting our news group although I
installed it and have one message from yesterday (Wednesday).

Barb

barb
August 11th 11, 01:49 PM
Okay, I see my message posted. Had heard that Windows 7 is not compatible
with news groups.

Barb

MLB[_4_]
August 11th 11, 08:06 PM
On 08/11/2011 06:46 AM, Barb wrote:
> With this new Windows 7 I suspect I am not getting our news group
> although I installed it and have one message from yesterday (Wednesday).
>
> Barb

IMHO This group is dying. Your two posts showed up. There were two
yesterday and that is all I have seen. MLB

Bill Graham
August 12th 11, 07:00 AM
MLB wrote:
> On 08/11/2011 06:46 AM, Barb wrote:
>> With this new Windows 7 I suspect I am not getting our news group
>> although I installed it and have one message from yesterday
>> (Wednesday). Barb
>
> IMHO This group is dying. Your two posts showed up. There were two
> yesterday and that is all I have seen. MLB

This group will not die as long as there are cats and people who love
them. - And that will be for a long, long time.....

dgk
August 12th 11, 01:15 PM
On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 23:00:53 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>MLB wrote:
>> On 08/11/2011 06:46 AM, Barb wrote:
>>> With this new Windows 7 I suspect I am not getting our news group
>>> although I installed it and have one message from yesterday
>>> (Wednesday). Barb
>>
>> IMHO This group is dying. Your two posts showed up. There were two
>> yesterday and that is all I have seen. MLB
>
>This group will not die as long as there are cats and people who love
>them. - And that will be for a long, long time.....

Newsgroups as a whole are dying because of various forums and facebook
and such. But as long as some of us use it, it will still be here
until the corporations decide that they don't want to spend money on
it. My ISP used to have their own newgroup servers but they ditched
them and made anyone who wanted to use them use Giganews. Well, they
got us a discount for Giganews.

barb
August 12th 11, 03:33 PM
Yes, I had googled and learned that other sources are taking the place of
newsgroups. I'd been in this group along time and really hate to give it
up. I don't do facebook or twitter and don't know what forums are replacing
this nice newsgroup.

Barb

jmc[_2_]
August 12th 11, 04:37 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Barb exclaimed (8/12/2011 10:33 AM):
> Yes, I had googled and learned that other sources are taking the place
> of newsgroups. I'd been in this group along time and really hate to give
> it up. I don't do facebook or twitter and don't know what forums are
> replacing this nice newsgroup.
>
> Barb

Yea. One of the other usenet groups I am active in has started a
Facebook page. Even though I was hoping it wouldn't happen, many of the
posters who've gone to FB post a lot less on the newsgroup now. It's
sad, in a way, I can remember when that ng got a couple hundred posts a
day... now it might see a dozen. Busier than this group, but still.

All my groups are seeing a decrease in posting, which is not helped by
ISPs also dropping support for newsgroups as part of getting service.

jmc

Bill Graham
August 13th 11, 06:09 AM
Barb wrote:
> Yes, I had googled and learned that other sources are taking the
> place of newsgroups. I'd been in this group along time and really
> hate to give it up. I don't do facebook or twitter and don't know
> what forums are replacing this nice newsgroup.
>
> Barb

Well, you, (and anyone else) can always talk about cats with me. My email
address is good as it stands. As near as I can tell, any group of people can
get together and form their own "newsgroup" to talk about anything they want
to talk about.

barb
August 13th 11, 03:27 PM
Okay, thanks!

Barb

Kelly Greene[_4_]
August 14th 11, 04:59 AM
"dgk" > wrote in message

> Newsgroups as a whole are dying because of various forums and facebook
> and such. But as long as some of us use it, it will still be here
> until the corporations decide that they don't want to spend money on
> it. My ISP used to have their own newgroup servers but they ditched
> them and made anyone who wanted to use them use Giganews. Well, they
> got us a discount for Giganews.

I read on another Forum that all the ISP's stopped providing Usenet NGs
because of the cost and time involved with people complaining about out
people and spammers.

Kelly Greene[_4_]
August 14th 11, 05:00 AM
"Barb" > wrote in message
> Yes, I had googled and learned that other sources are taking the place of
> newsgroups. I'd been in this group along time and really hate to give it
> up. I don't do facebook or twitter and don't know what forums are
> replacing this nice newsgroup.
>
> Barb

This is one of the best in my opinion:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/

barb
August 14th 11, 05:22 PM
We had our share of spammers and insulters but I was willing to overlook all
that-you're not forced to read every post. Looks like most of the spammers
got tired of us, anyway.

Barb

Bill Graham
August 14th 11, 07:29 PM
Kelly Greene wrote:
> "dgk" > wrote in message
>>
>> Newsgroups as a whole are dying because of various forums and
>> facebook and such. But as long as some of us use it, it will still
>> be here until the corporations decide that they don't want to spend
>> money on it. My ISP used to have their own newgroup servers but they
>> ditched them and made anyone who wanted to use them use Giganews.
>> Well, they got us a discount for Giganews.
>
> I read on another Forum that all the ISP's stopped providing Usenet
> NGs because of the cost and time involved with people complaining
> about out people and spammers.

Yes. And this is ridiculous. A newsgroup is like the street. If someone you
never saw before shouts some obscenity at you from across the street, whose
fault is that? Should you go to the city planner and comoplain about his
choice of street location? - Of course not. Neither should you complasin to
the service provider when some idiot writes you a message that you don't
like. I don't know why the service providers even bother to answer those
kinds of complaints.

Kelly Greene[_4_]
August 30th 11, 08:06 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message
> Kelly Greene wrote:
>> "dgk" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Newsgroups as a whole are dying because of various forums and
>>> facebook and such. But as long as some of us use it, it will still
>>> be here until the corporations decide that they don't want to spend
>>> money on it. My ISP used to have their own newgroup servers but they
>>> ditched them and made anyone who wanted to use them use Giganews.
>>> Well, they got us a discount for Giganews.
>>
>> I read on another Forum that all the ISP's stopped providing Usenet
>> NGs because of the cost and time involved with people complaining
>> about out people and spammers.
>
> Yes. And this is ridiculous. A newsgroup is like the street. If someone
> you never saw before shouts some obscenity at you from across the street,
> whose fault is that? Should you go to the city planner and comoplain about
> his choice of street location? - Of course not. Neither should you
> complasin to the service provider when some idiot writes you a message
> that you don't like. I don't know why the service providers even bother to
> answer those kinds of complaints.

There are free NSPs and I use them since our ISP dropped Usenet. I'm sure
there were people complaining to them over the least little thing.

Bill Graham
August 31st 11, 09:45 AM
Kelly Greene wrote:
> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>> Kelly Greene wrote:

>>> I read on another Forum that all the ISP's stopped providing Usenet
>>> NGs because of the cost and time involved with people complaining
>>> about out people and spammers.
>>
>> Yes. And this is ridiculous. A newsgroup is like the street. If
>> someone you never saw before shouts some obscenity at you from
>> across the street, whose fault is that? Should you go to the city
>> planner and comoplain about his choice of street location? - Of
>> course not. Neither should you complasin to the service provider
>> when some idiot writes you a message that you don't like. I don't
>> know why the service providers even bother to answer those kinds of
>> complaints.
>
> There are free NSPs and I use them since our ISP dropped Usenet. I'm
> sure there were people complaining to them over the least little
> thing.

Yes. My wife likes to feed squirls at rest stops along the highway and parks
and other places. but people complain that the little creatures come up to
them and look for food, so the county traps them and euthanizes them....
What a dumb world we live in.......

barb
August 31st 11, 06:35 PM
My ISP is IO Cablevision in NY. I am getting our newsgroup. At first it
seemed to have shrunk so much I almost downloaded a different provider for
newsgroups.

Barb

buglady
September 23rd 11, 03:22 PM
"Barb" > wrote in message
> Yes, I had googled and learned that other sources are taking the place of
> newsgroups. I'd been in this group along time and really hate to give it
> up. I don't do facebook or twitter and don't know what forums are
> replacing this nice newsgroup.

..........AFAIC there's no substitute for low-tech newsgroups for
information. Don't have to wait forever for those frellin' facebook/twitter
links to load or lots of generic pix, or bland useless articles for 6 year
olds who've never had any pets.

REally, it's up to the people who use the NG to keep it going. See a cat
food recall? Post it. Have a note on a new vet procedure for cats? Post
it. Interesting research? Post it.

.........At some point or other I do expect most ISPs to dump access to NGs.
Everyone wants services and apps and whatever for their new toy phones.
They barely care about those of us who still have landlines for phone
access!

buglady
take out the dog before replying