PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Time

Mack A. Damia
August 16th 11, 04:21 AM
I have dry cat food down for Pookie, and I have been giving her a
small amount of Fancy Feast everyday.

Some of the cans will say, "pate" while others won't. She refuses to
eat pate for some reason, and I get annoyed throwing money away.

She'll eat the chunks of, say, beef, chicken or turkey/giblets. As
long as it's chunky, she'll gobble it.

Any ideas why she won't touch pate? Fancy Feast is 70 cents a can now
in the supermarkets, and many of the pate style flavors don't say so
on the can.

Thanks!

Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds
August 16th 11, 05:45 AM
In article >,
Mack A. Damia > wrote:

> I have dry cat food down for Pookie, and I have been giving her a
> small amount of Fancy Feast everyday.
>
> Some of the cans will say, "pate" while others won't. She refuses to
> eat pate for some reason, and I get annoyed throwing money away.
>
> She'll eat the chunks of, say, beef, chicken or turkey/giblets. As
> long as it's chunky, she'll gobble it.
>
> Any ideas why she won't touch pate? Fancy Feast is 70 cents a can now
> in the supermarkets, and many of the pate style flavors don't say so
> on the can.
>
> Thanks!

Currently FF is 50cents/can at Petsmart. It's also possible to find sites that
will sell you a coupon that nets you about 4/5cents per can for about 8 cans.

It's also possible to order the stuff online for cheaper than 70 cents a can
even including shipping.

My cats will eat some varieties of pate, but mostly prefer the stuff with
gravy/sauce

Mack A. Damia
August 16th 11, 07:29 AM
On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 21:45:12 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Mack A. Damia > wrote:
>
>> I have dry cat food down for Pookie, and I have been giving her a
>> small amount of Fancy Feast everyday.
>>
>> Some of the cans will say, "pate" while others won't. She refuses to
>> eat pate for some reason, and I get annoyed throwing money away.
>>
>> She'll eat the chunks of, say, beef, chicken or turkey/giblets. As
>> long as it's chunky, she'll gobble it.
>>
>> Any ideas why she won't touch pate? Fancy Feast is 70 cents a can now
>> in the supermarkets, and many of the pate style flavors don't say so
>> on the can.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
>Currently FF is 50cents/can at Petsmart. It's also possible to find sites that
>will sell you a coupon that nets you about 4/5cents per can for about 8 cans.
>
>It's also possible to order the stuff online for cheaper than 70 cents a can
>even including shipping.
>
>My cats will eat some varieties of pate, but mostly prefer the stuff with
>gravy/sauce

Thanks.

Fancy Feast is 70 cents a can at Albertson's in California. I guess
that's why it's more expensive. I found it on sale at Target for 50
cents a can, so I have been stocking up. I'll check out your other
suggestions.

My main gripe is knowing if I'm buying pate or chunky/gravy style. The
cans aren't always clear about this.

Bill Graham
August 16th 11, 10:06 AM
Mack A. Damia wrote:
> I have dry cat food down for Pookie, and I have been giving her a
> small amount of Fancy Feast everyday.
>
> Some of the cans will say, "pate" while others won't. She refuses to
> eat pate for some reason, and I get annoyed throwing money away.
>
> She'll eat the chunks of, say, beef, chicken or turkey/giblets. As
> long as it's chunky, she'll gobble it.
>
> Any ideas why she won't touch pate? Fancy Feast is 70 cents a can now
> in the supermarkets, and many of the pate style flavors don't say so
> on the can.
>
> Thanks!

Mine like chopped, roasted chickens, and when you compare them to 70 cent a
can cat food, they are a lot cheaper. I know they don't have that chemical
that some of you say the cats need, but the cats can get that stuff from the
other food they eat, like kibbles, so the fresh roasted chickens are very
useful and the cats love 'em..... Also, we can eat them too...:^)

Phil P.
August 16th 11, 11:38 AM
"Mack A. Damia" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 21:45:12 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Mack A. Damia > wrote:
> >
> >> I have dry cat food down for Pookie, and I have been giving her a
> >> small amount of Fancy Feast everyday.
> >>
> >> Some of the cans will say, "pate" while others won't. She refuses to
> >> eat pate for some reason, and I get annoyed throwing money away.
> >>
> >> She'll eat the chunks of, say, beef, chicken or turkey/giblets. As
> >> long as it's chunky, she'll gobble it.
> >>
> >> Any ideas why she won't touch pate? Fancy Feast is 70 cents a can now
> >> in the supermarkets, and many of the pate style flavors don't say so
> >> on the can.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >
> >Currently FF is 50cents/can at Petsmart. It's also possible to find sites
that
> >will sell you a coupon that nets you about 4/5cents per can for about 8
cans.

> >It's also possible to order the stuff online for cheaper than 70 cents a
can
> >even including shipping.
> >
> >My cats will eat some varieties of pate, but mostly prefer the stuff with
> >gravy/sauce
>
> Thanks.
>
> Fancy Feast is 70 cents a can at Albertson's in California. I guess
> that's why it's more expensive. I found it on sale at Target for 50
> cents a can, so I have been stocking up. I'll check out your other
> suggestions.
>
> My main gripe is knowing if I'm buying pate or chunky/gravy style. The
> cans aren't always clear about this.

The texture is stated in the yellow band on the bottom of the label on the
front of the can.. The "Classic" line of Fancy Feast diets are pate.
Grilled, Sliced, and Roasted lines are smaller pieces in gravy. The
"Chunky" line are larger pieces in gravy. The same flavors come in
different textures, i.e.: Grilled Chicken, Sliced Chicken, Roasted Chicken,
and Chicken Classic (Pate). Some of lines have the same or similar color
labels so you've gotta read the labels.

Mack A. Damia
August 16th 11, 12:09 PM
On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 02:06:51 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>Mack A. Damia wrote:
>> I have dry cat food down for Pookie, and I have been giving her a
>> small amount of Fancy Feast everyday.
>>
>> Some of the cans will say, "pate" while others won't. She refuses to
>> eat pate for some reason, and I get annoyed throwing money away.
>>
>> She'll eat the chunks of, say, beef, chicken or turkey/giblets. As
>> long as it's chunky, she'll gobble it.
>>
>> Any ideas why she won't touch pate? Fancy Feast is 70 cents a can now
>> in the supermarkets, and many of the pate style flavors don't say so
>> on the can.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
>Mine like chopped, roasted chickens, and when you compare them to 70 cent a
>can cat food, they are a lot cheaper. I know they don't have that chemical
>that some of you say the cats need, but the cats can get that stuff from the
>other food they eat, like kibbles, so the fresh roasted chickens are very
>useful and the cats love 'em..... Also, we can eat them too...:^)

Good idea. I eat a lot of roasted chickens myself, so I'll try it.

Thanks!

Mack A. Damia
August 16th 11, 12:14 PM
On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 06:38:33 -0400, "Phil P." >
wrote:

>"Mack A. Damia" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 21:45:12 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
>> > wrote:

>> >Currently FF is 50cents/can at Petsmart. It's also possible to find sites
>that
>> >will sell you a coupon that nets you about 4/5cents per can for about 8
>cans.
>> >
>> >It's also possible to order the stuff online for cheaper than 70 cents a
>can
>> >even including shipping.
>> >
>> >My cats will eat some varieties of pate, but mostly prefer the stuff with
>> >gravy/sauce
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Fancy Feast is 70 cents a can at Albertson's in California. I guess
>> that's why it's more expensive. I found it on sale at Target for 50
>> cents a can, so I have been stocking up. I'll check out your other
>> suggestions.
>>
>> My main gripe is knowing if I'm buying pate or chunky/gravy style. The
>> cans aren't always clear about this.
>
>The texture is stated in the yellow band on the bottom of the label on the
>front of the can.. The "Classic" line of Fancy Feast diets are pate.
>Grilled, Sliced, and Roasted lines are smaller pieces in gravy. The
>"Chunky" line are larger pieces in gravy. The same flavors come in
>different textures, i.e.: Grilled Chicken, Sliced Chicken, Roasted Chicken,
>and Chicken Classic (Pate). Some of lines have the same or similar color
>labels so you've gotta read the labels.

Thanks for the information; I didn't know, although I now see
"Classic". Didn't realize those were the pate style. She gobbles the
chunky varieties.

Rene[_2_]
August 16th 11, 09:53 PM
> Any ideas why she won't touch pate? *Fancy Feast is 70 cents a can now
> in the supermarkets, and many of the pate style flavors don't say so
> on the can.

Cats can get fixated on a texture, so my guess is that the chunks
remind her of dry food.

Mack A. Damia
August 17th 11, 02:58 AM
On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 13:53:58 -0700 (PDT), Rene
> wrote:

>> Any ideas why she won't touch pate? *Fancy Feast is 70 cents a can now
>> in the supermarkets, and many of the pate style flavors don't say so
>> on the can.
>
>Cats can get fixated on a texture, so my guess is that the chunks
>remind her of dry food.

That's a good thought. I have another brand - same size can, and it's
minced meat as in hamburger. She won't touch that either.

Phil P.
August 17th 11, 06:39 AM
"Mack A. Damia" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 06:38:33 -0400, "Phil P." >
> wrote:
>

> >"Mack A. Damia" > wrote in message
> >> On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 21:45:12 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

> >that
> >cans.

> >can

> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> Fancy Feast is 70 cents a can at Albertson's in California. I guess
> >> that's why it's more expensive. I found it on sale at Target for 50
> >> cents a can, so I have been stocking up. I'll check out your other
> >> suggestions.
> >>
> >> My main gripe is knowing if I'm buying pate or chunky/gravy style. The
> >> cans aren't always clear about this.
> >
> >The texture is stated in the yellow band on the bottom of the label on
the
> >front of the can.. The "Classic" line of Fancy Feast diets are pate.
> >Grilled, Sliced, and Roasted lines are smaller pieces in gravy. The
> >"Chunky" line are larger pieces in gravy. The same flavors come in
> >different textures, i.e.: Grilled Chicken, Sliced Chicken, Roasted
Chicken,
> >and Chicken Classic (Pate). Some of lines have the same or similar color
> >labels so you've gotta read the labels.
>
> Thanks for the information; I didn't know, although I now see
> "Classic". Didn't realize those were the pate style. She gobbles the
> chunky varieties.

Texture is more important than taste for a lot of cats. The easiest way to
determine what a cat likes is to put down a smorgasbord of 5 or 6 flavors
and textures and see which she prefers. It may seem expensive but in the
long run its cheaper and easier than trying a lot of different diets one at
a time.

Bill Graham
August 17th 11, 07:29 AM
Phil P. wrote:
> "Mack A. Damia" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 06:38:33 -0400, "Phil P." >
>> wrote:

>>> The texture is stated in the yellow band on the bottom of the label
>>> on the front of the can.. The "Classic" line of Fancy Feast diets
>>> are pate. Grilled, Sliced, and Roasted lines are smaller pieces in
>>> gravy. The "Chunky" line are larger pieces in gravy. The same
>>> flavors come in different textures, i.e.: Grilled Chicken, Sliced
>>> Chicken, Roasted Chicken, and Chicken Classic (Pate). Some of lines
>>> have the same or similar color labels so you've gotta read the
>>> labels.
>>
>> Thanks for the information; I didn't know, although I now see
>> "Classic". Didn't realize those were the pate style. She gobbles
>> the chunky varieties.
>
> Texture is more important than taste for a lot of cats. The easiest
> way to determine what a cat likes is to put down a smorgasbord of 5
> or 6 flavors and textures and see which she prefers. It may seem
> expensive but in the long run its cheaper and easier than trying a
> lot of different diets one at a time.

I was in our local Safeway, a few years back, and the cat food was 50 cernts
a can. They had "Bumblebee Tuna" cans (same size) on sale for 40 cents a
can. So, I decided to buy a few cans and feed them to my cats.... The stuff
was so bad that the cats refused to eat it. It looked like the cat food to
me, but I refused to eat it myself, based on the fact that my cats wouldn't
eat it.......

Mack A. Damia
August 17th 11, 01:41 PM
On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 23:29:43 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>Phil P. wrote:
>> "Mack A. Damia" > wrote in message

>>> Thanks for the information; I didn't know, although I now see
>>> "Classic". Didn't realize those were the pate style. She gobbles
>>> the chunky varieties.
>>
>> Texture is more important than taste for a lot of cats. The easiest
>> way to determine what a cat likes is to put down a smorgasbord of 5
>> or 6 flavors and textures and see which she prefers. It may seem
>> expensive but in the long run its cheaper and easier than trying a
>> lot of different diets one at a time.
>
>I was in our local Safeway, a few years back, and the cat food was 50 cernts
>a can. They had "Bumblebee Tuna" cans (same size) on sale for 40 cents a
>can. So, I decided to buy a few cans and feed them to my cats.... The stuff
>was so bad that the cats refused to eat it. It looked like the cat food to
>me, but I refused to eat it myself, based on the fact that my cats wouldn't
>eat it.......

Went to San Diego yesterday, and they are still on sale for 50 cents a
can. I stocked up some more on everything except the "classic"
variety. Really, pate is the only one she won't touch - as if it's
poison.

She was a naughty girl when I got home last evening, and I had to give
her a time out in the other room for an hour. Of course, she was
angry with me for leaving her all day. Can't handle two cats at my
age - I have had long-haired cats found as strays most of my adult
life.

Found one roaming around in February, early, 1990s. He was filthy
with his own feces and mud stuck to him. Took him home, washed him
and then decided to adopt him. I did report finding him to the animal
shelter, but folks don't understand that long-hairs need a LOT of care
everyday. Nobody claimed him.

Called him "Sir Percy Cat".

By coincidence, several months later, went to a cat club meeting, and
I took him along with me. The speaker looked at him, exxamined him
and said he was one of her studs that she had given to an elderly man
in the neighborhood where I found him who turned out to be negligent
with him. He had a pedigree. Real name: "Berryhill's Dewey Morn".
He had some unusual markings and an extra claw, I think, and he was
easy to identify.

He won one of the top prizes in a cat show I entered him in.

http://cheerslove.org/images/percy.jpg

He was a Himmilayan, of course. I had him for about eight years, and
then he died of a urinary tract infection after he was operated on. I
cried like a baby!

Almost twenty years earlier, I had a similar incident when I found a
stray Silver Persian.

He became "David's Lloyd-George".

(I'm David)

Bill Graham
August 18th 11, 06:38 AM
Mack A. Damia wrote:
> He was a Himmilayan, of course. I had him for about eight years, and
> then he died of a urinary tract infection after he was operated on. I
> cried like a baby!

Yes.... We really get attached to our pets. When B-K died, I was grief
stricken. I picked him up in a Burger King parking lot 6-1/2 years ago. He
was about a year old then, so he only lived 7-1/2 years before he was
poisoned by a neighbor's "round-up" or some other type of weed killer. He
was well liked by all the neighbors, including the people who inadvertently
killed him. About a month after he died. a strange dog came in my house (the
front door was open) He looked all over my house, and then lay down on B-K's
favorite resting spot for about ten minutes, and then left. So, B-K not only
befriended all the neighbors, but also their dogs!

dgk
August 18th 11, 07:36 PM
wrote:

>Mack A. Damia wrote:
>> I have dry cat food down for Pookie, and I have been giving her a
>> small amount of Fancy Feast everyday.
>>
>> Some of the cans will say, "pate" while others won't. She refuses to
>> eat pate for some reason, and I get annoyed throwing money away.
>>
>> She'll eat the chunks of, say, beef, chicken or turkey/giblets. As
>> long as it's chunky, she'll gobble it.
>>
>> Any ideas why she won't touch pate? Fancy Feast is 70 cents a can now
>> in the supermarkets, and many of the pate style flavors don't say so
>> on the can.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
>Mine like chopped, roasted chickens, and when you compare them to 70 cent a
>can cat food, they are a lot cheaper. I know they don't have that chemical
>that some of you say the cats need, but the cats can get that stuff from the
>other food they eat, like kibbles, so the fresh roasted chickens are very
>useful and the cats love 'em..... Also, we can eat them too...:^)

My cats love roast chicken. But usually they get cat food which they
also love. One is very particular so I get what he likes and the rest
go along with it. The problem is getting something that he likes.

dgk
August 18th 11, 07:37 PM
On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 01:39:52 -0400, "Phil P." >
wrote:

>"Mack A. Damia" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 06:38:33 -0400, "Phil P." >
>> wrote:

>now

>sites
>> >that
>8
>> >cans.

>> >can

>with

>> >The texture is stated in the yellow band on the bottom of the label on
>the
>> >front of the can.. The "Classic" line of Fancy Feast diets are pate.
>> >Grilled, Sliced, and Roasted lines are smaller pieces in gravy. The
>> >"Chunky" line are larger pieces in gravy. The same flavors come in
>> >different textures, i.e.: Grilled Chicken, Sliced Chicken, Roasted
>Chicken,
>> >and Chicken Classic (Pate). Some of lines have the same or similar color
>> >labels so you've gotta read the labels.
>>
>> Thanks for the information; I didn't know, although I now see
>> "Classic". Didn't realize those were the pate style. She gobbles the
>> chunky varieties.
>
>Texture is more important than taste for a lot of cats. The easiest way to
>determine what a cat likes is to put down a smorgasbord of 5 or 6 flavors
>and textures and see which she prefers. It may seem expensive but in the
>long run its cheaper and easier than trying a lot of different diets one at
>a time.

That is a great idea - but I have four cats. If I put out six
different foods, they'll each eat one, then start switching around.
They're alwasy checking out what the other cats are eating.

Bill Graham
August 19th 11, 08:33 AM
dgk wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 02:06:51 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
> wrote:
>
>> Mack A. Damia wrote:
>>> I have dry cat food down for Pookie, and I have been giving her a
>>> small amount of Fancy Feast everyday.
>>>
>>> Some of the cans will say, "pate" while others won't. She refuses
>>> to eat pate for some reason, and I get annoyed throwing money away.
>>>
>>> She'll eat the chunks of, say, beef, chicken or turkey/giblets. As
>>> long as it's chunky, she'll gobble it.
>>>
>>> Any ideas why she won't touch pate? Fancy Feast is 70 cents a can
>>> now in the supermarkets, and many of the pate style flavors don't
>>> say so on the can.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>
>> Mine like chopped, roasted chickens, and when you compare them to 70
>> cent a can cat food, they are a lot cheaper. I know they don't have
>> that chemical that some of you say the cats need, but the cats can
>> get that stuff from the other food they eat, like kibbles, so the
>> fresh roasted chickens are very useful and the cats love 'em.....
>> Also, we can eat them too...:^)
>
> My cats love roast chicken. But usually they get cat food which they
> also love. One is very particular so I get what he likes and the rest
> go along with it. The problem is getting something that he likes.

I loved that Gary Larson cartoon with the two dogs wagging their tails while
the house wife opens their can of food, and one says to the other one, "Oh
boy! Its dog food again!"