PDA

View Full Version : Story: 'Calvin' by Charles Dudley Warner [MP3]

rh
August 18th 11, 04:58 PM
I came across 'Calvin,' a short story by the great 19th Century writer and
poet, Charles Warner, in a book of Cat Stories. It is the best biograph of
a cat I have ever read, and never fails to choke me up.

As related in the story, Warner received Calvin, a Maltese, from Harriett
Beecher Stowe, the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin, the antislavery novel that
became a sensation in it's time.

I would like to share this story with the group in the form of a spoken word
edition I found online. It is public domain, so download freely!

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0By1rtGepOBy7ZWEyYmJkODctYTM2OS00YTFiLWFlN 2EtOTNmZjJkMjRmYTkz&hl=en_US

Terry

MLB[_4_]
August 18th 11, 06:16 PM
On 08/18/2011 09:58 AM, rh wrote:
> I came across 'Calvin,' a short story by the great 19th Century writer and
> poet, Charles Warner, in a book of Cat Stories. It is the best biograph of
> a cat I have ever read, and never fails to choke me up.
>
> As related in the story, Warner received Calvin, a Maltese, from Harriett
> Beecher Stowe, the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin, the antislavery novel that
> became a sensation in it's time.
>
> I would like to share this story with the group in the form of a spoken word
> edition I found online. It is public domain, so download freely!
>
> https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0By1rtGepOBy7ZWEyYmJkODctYTM2OS00YTFiLWFlN 2EtOTNmZjJkMjRmYTkz&hl=en_US
>
> Terry

What a wonderful story! Thanks for posting it so we can enjoy knowing
Calvin too. MLB

rh
August 18th 11, 09:21 PM
MLB > writes:

>On 08/18/2011 09:58 AM, rh wrote:
>> I came across 'Calvin,' a short story by the great 19th Century writer and
>> poet, Charles Warner, in a book of Cat Stories. It is the best biograph of
>> a cat I have ever read, and never fails to choke me up.
>>
>> As related in the story, Warner received Calvin, a Maltese, from Harriett
>> Beecher Stowe, the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin, the antislavery novel that
>> became a sensation in it's time.
>>
>> I would like to share this story with the group in the form of a spoken word
>> edition I found online. It is public domain, so download freely!
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0By1rtGepOBy7ZWEyYmJkODctYTM2OS00YTFiLWFlN 2EtOTNmZjJkMjRmYTkz&hl=en_US
>>
>> Terry
>>

>What a wonderful story! Thanks for posting it so we can enjoy knowing
>Calvin too. MLB

Thank you, MLB, for your kind comments. Yes, Calvin sounds like he was quite
a fellow. I am thankful to Warner for memorializing him with such a
beautifully written piece. Regards,

Terry

August 20th 11, 10:18 PM
rh wrote:

> I came across 'Calvin,' a short story by the great 19th Century writer and
> poet, Charles Warner, in a book of Cat Stories. It is the best biograph of
> a cat I have ever read, and never fails to choke me up.

> As related in the story, Warner received Calvin, a Maltese, from Harriett
> Beecher Stowe, the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin, the antislavery novel that
> became a sensation in it's time.

> I would like to share this story with the group in the form of a spoken word
> edition I found online. It is public domain, so download freely!

> https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0By1rtGepOBy7ZWEyYmJkODctYTM2OS00YTFiLWFlN 2EtOTNmZjJkMjRmYTkz&hl=en_US

> Terry

I just clicked this link and it took me to a page on "Google docs" that
has a single link on it saying "Download (18MB)". At the top of the screen
it says "lordsofthehousetops_16_various.mp3". No idea what that's about -
it's not a clickable link. The page was posted by "Rockinghorse Winner".

I don't want to click the Download button until I'm sure this was the
one you intended to send. There is no other information about the story
on this page (it even says "No preview available").

Could you confirm, please?

Thanks...

--
The sun rose slowly, like a fiery furball coughed up uneasily onto a
sky-blue carpet by a giant unseen cat. -- Michael McGarel

Patok[_2_]
August 21st 11, 12:18 AM
wrote:
> rh wrote:
>
> > I came across 'Calvin,' a short story by the great 19th Century writer and
> > poet, Charles Warner, in a book of Cat Stories. It is the best biograph of
> > a cat I have ever read, and never fails to choke me up.
>
> > As related in the story, Warner received Calvin, a Maltese, from Harriett
> > Beecher Stowe, the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin, the antislavery novel that
> > became a sensation in it's time.
>
> > I would like to share this story with the group in the form of a spoken word
> > edition I found online. It is public domain, so download freely!
>
> > https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0By1rtGepOBy7ZWEyYmJkODctYTM2OS00YTFiLWFlN 2EtOTNmZjJkMjRmYTkz&hl=en_US
>
> > Terry
>
> I just clicked this link and it took me to a page on "Google docs" that
> has a single link on it saying "Download (18MB)". At the top of the screen
> it says "lordsofthehousetops_16_various.mp3". No idea what that's about -
> it's not a clickable link. The page was posted by "Rockinghorse Winner".
>
> I don't want to click the Download button until I'm sure this was the
> one you intended to send. There is no other information about the story
> on this page (it even says "No preview available").

I tried it, and it is indeed a mp3 file containing the Calvin story. I listened
only to the beginning to make sure what it was. I don't know if that's what he
intended to send, but it sure looks err... sounds like it. :)

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
*

MLB[_4_]
August 21st 11, 03:48 AM
On 08/20/2011 03:18 PM, wrote:
> rh wrote:
>
> > I came across 'Calvin,' a short story by the great 19th Century writer and
> > poet, Charles Warner, in a book of Cat Stories. It is the best biograph of
> > a cat I have ever read, and never fails to choke me up.
>
> > As related in the story, Warner received Calvin, a Maltese, from Harriett
> > Beecher Stowe, the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin, the antislavery novel that
> > became a sensation in it's time.
>
> > I would like to share this story with the group in the form of a spoken word
> > edition I found online. It is public domain, so download freely!
>
> > https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0By1rtGepOBy7ZWEyYmJkODctYTM2OS00YTFiLWFlN 2EtOTNmZjJkMjRmYTkz&hl=en_US
>
> > Terry
>
> I just clicked this link and it took me to a page on "Google docs" that
> has a single link on it saying "Download (18MB)". At the top of the screen
> it says "lordsofthehousetops_16_various.mp3". No idea what that's about -
> it's not a clickable link. The page was posted by "Rockinghorse Winner".
>
> I don't want to click the Download button until I'm sure this was the
> one you intended to send. There is no other information about the story
> on this page (it even says "No preview available").
>
> Could you confirm, please?
>
> Thanks...

FYI I read it on "anecdotes". It's a great story. Best wishes. MLB

August 21st 11, 10:20 AM
MLB wrote:

> On 08/20/2011 03:18 PM, wrote:
>> rh wrote:
>>
>> > I came across 'Calvin,' a short story by the great 19th Century writer and
>> > poet, Charles Warner, in a book of Cat Stories. It is the best biograph of
>> > a cat I have ever read, and never fails to choke me up.
>>
>> > As related in the story, Warner received Calvin, a Maltese, from Harriett
>> > Beecher Stowe, the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin, the antislavery novel that
>> > became a sensation in it's time.
>>
>> > I would like to share this story with the group in the form of a spoken word
>> > edition I found online. It is public domain, so download freely!
>>
>> > https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0By1rtGepOBy7ZWEyYmJkODctYTM2OS00YTFiLWFlN 2EtOTNmZjJkMjRmYTkz&hl=en_US
>>
>> > Terry
>>
>> I just clicked this link and it took me to a page on "Google docs" that
>> has a single link on it saying "Download (18MB)". At the top of the screen
>> it says "lordsofthehousetops_16_various.mp3". No idea what that's about -
>> it's not a clickable link. The page was posted by "Rockinghorse Winner".
>>
>> I don't want to click the Download button until I'm sure this was the
>> one you intended to send. There is no other information about the story
>> on this page (it even says "No preview available").
>>
>> Could you confirm, please?
>>
>> Thanks...
>>

> FYI I read it on "anecdotes". It's a great story. Best wishes. MLB

What? You posted about it on anecdotes, saying "there's a great story
on rpch+c, you should all go read it." I didn't see that story posted over
there.

Joyce

--
There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one
to come off as a sane person. -- Dan Greenberg

MLB[_4_]
August 21st 11, 07:51 PM
On 08/21/2011 03:20 AM, wrote:
> MLB wrote:

> >> I just clicked this link and it took me to a page on "Google docs" that
> >> has a single link on it saying "Download (18MB)". At the top of the screen
> >> it says "lordsofthehousetops_16_various.mp3". No idea what that's about -
> >> it's not a clickable link. The page was posted by "Rockinghorse Winner".
> >>
> >> I don't want to click the Download button until I'm sure this was the
> >> one you intended to send. There is no other information about the story
> >> on this page (it even says "No preview available").
> >>
> >> Could you confirm, please?
> >>
> >> Thanks...
> >>

> > FYI I read it on "anecdotes". It's a great story. Best wishes. MLB
>
> What? You posted about it on anecdotes, saying "there's a great story
> on rpch+c, you should all go read it." I didn't see that story posted over
> there.
>
> Joyce

Should have read: I posted on Anecdotes that there was a great story
about Calvin. Sorry for the confusion,. MLB

Bill Graham
August 22nd 11, 02:18 AM
MLB wrote:
> On 08/21/2011 03:20 AM, wrote:
>> MLB wrote:

>> Century writer and >> > poet, Charles Warner, in a book of
>> Cat Stories. It is the best biograph of >> > a cat I have
>> ever read, and never fails to choke me up. >>
>> Maltese, from Harriett >> > Beecher Stowe, the author of
>> Uncle Tom's Cabin, the antislavery novel that >> > became a
>> sensation in it's time. >>
>> form of a spoken word >> > edition I found online. It is
>> public domain, so download freely! >>
>> >> >
>> https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0By1rtGepOBy7ZWEyYmJkODctYTM2OS00YTFiLWFlN 2EtOTNmZjJkMjRmYTkz&hl=en_US
>> a page on "Google docs" that >> has a single link on it saying
>> "Download (18MB)". At the top of the screen >> it says
>> "lordsofthehousetops_16_various.mp3". No idea what that's about - >>
>> it's not a clickable link. The page was posted by "Rockinghorse
>> Winner". >> >> I don't want to click the Download button until I'm
>> sure this was the >> one you intended to send. There is no other
>> information about the story >> on this page (it even says "No
>> preview available"). >> >> Could you confirm, please? >> >> Thanks... >>
>> > FYI I read it on "anecdotes". It's a great story. Best
>> wishes. MLB What? You posted about it on anecdotes, saying "there's a
>> great story
>> on rpch+c, you should all go read it." I didn't see that story
>> posted over there.
>>
>> Joyce
>>

> Should have read: I posted on Anecdotes that there was a great story
> about Calvin. Sorry for the confusion,. MLB

It is a nice story. I downloaded it, converted it to a PDF file, and saved
it on my hard disk. If anyone wants it, just give me an email address, and I
will send it.

MLB[_4_]
August 22nd 11, 03:09 AM
On 08/21/2011 08:14 PM, wrote:
> Bill Graham wrote:
>
> >> Should have read: I posted on Anecdotes that there was a great story
> >> about Calvin. Sorry for the confusion,. MLB
>
> > It is a nice story. I downloaded it, converted it to a PDF file, and saved
> > it on my hard disk. If anyone wants it, just give me an email address, and I
> > will send it.
>
> You converted it to PDF? You mean it's not an audio file? I was about to
> put it on my iPod.
>
> Joyce

FYI I typed in Charles Dudley Warner cat story -- and hit the jackpot.
He had many, many writings listed and one stating 13 cat stories
Lords of the housetops". The Calvin story was audio. The young woman
reading the story had a very nice voice. This list should keep m,e
entertained for quite a while. I only use the "puter" a few hours a day
at short intervals. Best wishes. MLB

August 22nd 11, 03:14 AM
Bill Graham wrote:

>> Should have read: I posted on Anecdotes that there was a great story
>> about Calvin. Sorry for the confusion,. MLB

> It is a nice story. I downloaded it, converted it to a PDF file, and saved
> it on my hard disk. If anyone wants it, just give me an email address, and I
> will send it.

You converted it to PDF? You mean it's not an audio file? I was about to
put it on my iPod.

Joyce

--
I'm in favor of animal liberation. Why? Because I'm an animal.
-- Edward Abbey

rh
August 23rd 11, 06:08 AM
writes:

>Bill Graham wrote:

> >> Should have read: I posted on Anecdotes that there was a great story
> >> about Calvin. Sorry for the confusion,. MLB

> > It is a nice story. I downloaded it, converted it to a PDF file, and saved
> > it on my hard disk. If anyone wants it, just give me an email address, and I
> > will send it.

>You converted it to PDF? You mean it's not an audio file? I was about to
>put it on my iPod.

>Joyce

>--
>I'm in favor of animal liberation. Why? Because I'm an animal.
> -- Edward Abbey

I'm glad several of you got to read the Dudley story. It's available in both
text and audio version everywhere on the web (Google is your friend!). I was
blown away the first time I read it. There's a lot of 'Henry' in Warner's
description of Calvin, my first cat with whom I shared 14 years of our
lives.

It is obvious that Warner was very attached to his cat; the description of
him seeing Calvin laid out in his candlebox coffin is telling. After
mentioning the comments of others that he looked so natural, he reveals, 'as
for myself, I said nothing,' indicating his wordless angst.

Terry

August 23rd 11, 09:04 PM
rh wrote:

> writes:

>> > It is a nice story. I downloaded it, converted it to a PDF file, and saved
>> > it on my hard disk. If anyone wants it, just give me an email address, and I
>> > will send it.

>>You converted it to PDF? You mean it's not an audio file? I was about to
>>put it on my iPod.

>>Joyce

>>--
>>I'm in favor of animal liberation. Why? Because I'm an animal.
>> -- Edward Abbey

> I'm glad several of you got to read the Dudley story. It's available in both
> text and audio version everywhere on the web (Google is your friend!). I was
> blown away the first time I read it. There's a lot of 'Henry' in Warner's
> description of Calvin, my first cat with whom I shared 14 years of our
> lives.

> It is obvious that Warner was very attached to his cat; the description of
> him seeing Calvin laid out in his candlebox coffin is telling. After
> mentioning the comments of others that he looked so natural, he reveals, 'as
> for myself, I said nothing,' indicating his wordless angst.

I have the audio version and have heard about half of it. Thanks!

Joyce

--
Excuse for Not Doing One's Homework:
My pit bull, here, ate it. -- J.D. Berry, Springfield

Bill Graham
August 23rd 11, 11:03 PM
MLB wrote:

>> great story >> about Calvin. Sorry for the confusion,. MLB
>>
>> > It is a nice story. I downloaded it, converted it to a PDF
>> file, and saved > it on my hard disk. If anyone wants it, just
>> give me an email address, and I > will send it.
>>
>> You converted it to PDF? You mean it's not an audio file? I was
>> about to
>> put it on my iPod.
>>
>> Joyce

It may be, but the one I copied onto my hard disk was not.

> FYI I typed in Charles Dudley Warner cat story -- and hit the
> jackpot. He had many, many writings listed and one stating 13 cat
> stories
> Lords of the housetops". The Calvin story was audio. The young woman
> reading the story had a very nice voice. This list should keep m,e
> entertained for quite a while. I only use the "puter" a few hours a
> day at short intervals. Best wishes. MLB

Bill Graham
August 23rd 11, 11:07 PM
wrote:
> Bill Graham wrote:
>
>>> Should have read: I posted on Anecdotes that there was a great
>>> story about Calvin. Sorry for the confusion,. MLB
>
>> It is a nice story. I downloaded it, converted it to a PDF file, and
>> saved it on my hard disk. If anyone wants it, just give me an email
>> address, and I will send it.
>
> You converted it to PDF? You mean it's not an audio file? I was about
> to put it on my iPod.
>
> Joyce

I think I had a problem with the link in the original post, so I googled the
story and found it elsewhere. Then I downloaded it in pdf format and saved
it. I like this format because everyone can read it regardless of what kind
of computer they have. I send music out to my fellow band members in pdf
format for that reason. (Music scores, that is)