PDA

View Full Version : Cats too fat.

Bill Graham
August 28th 11, 03:22 AM
I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for the
next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs around 30 lbs,
which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they all have an infinite
bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open cans for them whenever they
want it. Will the obese kitty gradually reduce to the weight of the other
four? Or, will I have to institute some special system to keep him from
eating too much and maintaining his weight? My other four cats weigh around
10 lbs each.....

Mack A. Damia
August 28th 11, 03:28 AM
On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 19:22:38 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for the
>next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs around 30 lbs,
>which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they all have an infinite
>bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open cans for them whenever they
>want it. Will the obese kitty gradually reduce to the weight of the other
>four? Or, will I have to institute some special system to keep him from
>eating too much and maintaining his weight? My other four cats weigh around
>10 lbs each.....

My Pookie is about nine or ten months old, and she looks as if she's
swallowed a basketball.

I shoot hoops with her.

barb
August 28th 11, 12:51 PM
Good question. I only know I've read not to get cats to lose weight too
fast.

Barb

obsidianjg
August 28th 11, 04:31 PM
On Aug 27, 10:22*pm, "Bill Graham" > wrote:
> I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for the
> next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs around 30 lbs,
> which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they all have an infinite
> bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open cans for them whenever they
> want it. Will the obese kitty gradually reduce to the weight of the other
> four? Or, will I have to institute some special system to keep him from
> eating too much and maintaining his weight? My other four cats weigh around
> 10 lbs each.....

I would try to figure out how much he should eat per day and then
watch how much he eats. From what I have read, obesity is, at least in
part food related. Cheap food = high obesity risk. I would ask a vet
what you can do, if he eats more than he should.

obsidianjg

Matthew[_3_]
August 28th 11, 04:33 PM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for the
>next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs around 30 lbs,
>which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they all have an infinite
>bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open cans for them whenever they
>want it. Will the obese kitty gradually reduce to the weight of the other
>four? Or, will I have to institute some special system to keep him from
>eating too much and maintaining his weight? My other four cats weigh around
>10 lbs each.....

Bill you also did not mention what breed of cat it is? If it is a Maine
coon or has Maine coon in them that is a normal weight. Our dumplin was a
full Maine coon and weighed 32 pounds

And to answer your questions if the cat is obese than no they will not lose
weight without your help. A cat will not know this that the need to loose
weight. Their animal instincts will say food is there eat

Bill Graham
August 29th 11, 02:44 AM
Barb wrote:
> Good question. I only know I've read not to get cats to lose weight
> too fast.
>
> Barb

Yes. Or people either. Especially if you are diabetic. You have to keep your
blood sugar at some minimum level if you expect your heart to keep beating
Riding the narrow window between that level and not losing weight is not
easy....... With us you can exercise, which is a real help. But with cats,
you can't get them to do anything they don't want to do.... Ever tried to
take your cat jogging? :^)

Gandalf[_4_]
August 29th 11, 02:45 AM
wrote:

>I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for the
>next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs around 30 lbs,
>which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they all have an infinite
>bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open cans for them whenever they
>want it. Will the obese kitty gradually reduce to the weight of the other
>four? Or, will I have to institute some special system to keep him from
>eating too much and maintaining his weight? My other four cats weigh around
>10 lbs each.....

A vet check up is in order. They will tell you how much the cat SHOULD
weigh.

If indeed the cat needs to be on a diet, your free feeding arraignment
will certainly have to be changed.

Perhaps you could but the kibble behind a SMALL cat door.

Bill Graham
August 29th 11, 02:52 AM
obsidianjg wrote:
> On Aug 27, 10:22 pm, "Bill Graham" > wrote:
>> I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for
>> the next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs
>> around 30 lbs, which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they
>> all have an infinite bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open
>> cans for them whenever they want it. Will the obese kitty gradually
>> reduce to the weight of the other four? Or, will I have to institute
>> some special system to keep him from eating too much and maintaining
>> his weight? My other four cats weigh around 10 lbs each.....
>
> I would try to figure out how much he should eat per day and then
> watch how much he eats. From what I have read, obesity is, at least in
> part food related. Cheap food = high obesity risk. I would ask a vet
> what you can do, if he eats more than he should.
>
> obsidianjg

Well, if he was an "only cat" there would be no problem. but the other four
cats all are about the right weight, so I can only hope that the new cat,
(Tiger) will gradually approach the average weight of the others. He does
seem to move about more with me than he did with my friend with whom he
lived for over 5 years..... Perhaps he will lose down to their level. I had
one with a thyroid problem. she had an overactive thyroid and lost a lot of
weight. But after her thyroid was removed, she became "normal" again. My vet
is the same one that my friend had, so she knows Tiger's history.....

Bill Graham
August 29th 11, 03:00 AM
Matthew wrote:
> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>> I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for
>> the next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs
>> around 30 lbs, which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they
>> all have an infinite bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open
>> cans for them whenever they want it. Will the obese kitty gradually
>> reduce to the weight of the other four? Or, will I have to institute
>> some special system to keep him from eating too much and maintaining
>> his weight? My other four cats weigh around 10 lbs each.....
>
> Bill you also did not mention what breed of cat it is? If it is a
> Maine coon or has Maine coon in them that is a normal weight. Our
> dumplin was a full Maine coon and weighed 32 pounds
>
> And to answer your questions if the cat is obese than no they will
> not lose weight without your help. A cat will not know this that the
> need to loose weight. Their animal instincts will say food is there
> eat

This is true, but food is only half of the equation. There is also exercise
and my circumstances are different from what he he had before. My cats have
a larger territory and they move about more. there is a chance he will lose
some weight without drugs or starvation procedures. I guess I will just have
to wait and see. I don't know what a "Maine Coon" cat looks like. But this
one is just fat. I can tell from his other proportions that he could lose
about half of his present weight and still be in good shape.

Bill Graham
August 29th 11, 05:54 AM
Gandalf wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 19:22:38 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
> wrote:
>
>> I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for
>> the next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs
>> around 30 lbs, which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they
>> all have an infinite bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open
>> cans for them whenever they want it. Will the obese kitty gradually
>> reduce to the weight of the other four? Or, will I have to institute
>> some special system to keep him from eating too much and maintaining
>> his weight? My other four cats weigh around 10 lbs each.....

> Perhaps you could but the kibble behind a SMALL cat door.

An excellent idea.... I need a variable sized cat door. Start large, and
then gradually decrease its size.....

MLB[_4_]
August 29th 11, 07:55 PM
On 08/28/2011 07:44 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
> Barb wrote:
>> Good question. I only know I've read not to get cats to lose weight
>> too fast.
>>
>> Barb
>
> Yes. Or people either. Especially if you are diabetic. You have to keep
> your blood sugar at some minimum level if you expect your heart to keep
> beating Riding the narrow window between that level and not losing
> weight is not easy....... With us you can exercise, which is a real
> help. But with cats, you can't get them to do anything they don't want
> to do.... Ever tried to take your cat jogging? :^)

When Princess (RB 16) was still with me, I had a treadmill. She used to
try to walk on it. MLB

honeybunch
August 29th 11, 10:14 PM
On Aug 27, 10:22*pm, "Bill Graham" > wrote:
> I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for the
> next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs around 30 lbs,
> which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they all have an infinite
> bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open cans for them whenever they
> want it. Will the obese kitty gradually reduce to the weight of the other
> four? Or, will I have to institute some special system to keep him from
> eating too much and maintaining his weight? My other four cats weigh around
> 10 lbs each.....

Did your friend tell you what she fed Tiger? Did she leave some food
with you? and what does the vet suggest you feed Tiger who weighs as
much as a 3 year old child? if you dont feed him what he wants he
will just eat the other cat's food or even he might eat one of the
other cats. After you've had him for a while, how about letting him
roam around outside with your cats that are allowed out? He is
probably bored so he eats. How about a photo? How do the other 4
feel about him?

Bill Graham
August 30th 11, 12:10 AM
honeybunch wrote:
> On Aug 27, 10:22 pm, "Bill Graham" > wrote:
>> I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for
>> the next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs
>> around 30 lbs, which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they
>> all have an infinite bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open
>> cans for them whenever they want it. Will the obese kitty gradually
>> reduce to the weight of the other four? Or, will I have to institute
>> some special system to keep him from eating too much and maintaining
>> his weight? My other four cats weigh around 10 lbs each.....
>
> Did your friend tell you what she fed Tiger? Did she leave some food
> with you? and what does the vet suggest you feed Tiger who weighs as
> much as a 3 year old child? if you dont feed him what he wants he
> will just eat the other cat's food or even he might eat one of the
> other cats. After you've had him for a while, how about letting him
> roam around outside with your cats that are allowed out? He is
> probably bored so he eats. How about a photo? How do the other 4
> feel about him?

All good questions. Yes, they left some food. My other four cats are all
inside/outside cats, and have two cat doors they regularly use. Tiger can go
outside too, but he doesn't leave the property.... He just roams around the
outside decks and sleeps in the sun like my other cats do. They get along
with him pretty well, because he is a male, and three of them are females.
They hiss and spit at each other once in a while, but they treat the males
like they were the sheik of Araby. Tiger doesn't seem to eat very much, so I
think his weight will come down in time. The vet that my friend had is the
same one I use, so she should be familiar with Tiger's excessive weight. I
will call her after a bit and have her check him out. Right now, I want him
to acclimate to the new surroundings and not be traumatized by a vet visit.

Klusner
August 30th 11, 02:49 AM
This is called obesity in cats.Just bring some diet change in your daily diet plan of cat.It would be enough to bring a change in your cat's diet.The obesity would be no more and do not give those diet which contains ingredients which causes obesity.

Kelly Greene[_4_]
August 30th 11, 07:57 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for the
>next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs around 30 lbs,
>which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they all have an infinite
>bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open cans for them whenever they
>want it. Will the obese kitty gradually reduce to the weight of the other
>four? Or, will I have to institute some special system to keep him from
>eating too much and maintaining his weight? My other four cats weigh around
>10 lbs each.....

If the little porker is allowed outside to roam around he'll probably slowly
lose the excess flab. If he's an indoor kitty, you'll need to control his
portions for sure. :-)

dgk
August 30th 11, 01:31 PM
wrote:

>I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for the
>next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs around 30 lbs,
>which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they all have an infinite
>bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open cans for them whenever they
>want it. Will the obese kitty gradually reduce to the weight of the other
>four? Or, will I have to institute some special system to keep him from
>eating too much and maintaining his weight? My other four cats weigh around
>10 lbs each.....

Hard to say. I have four cats. I have two cats that I want to eat
more, and two that will eat everything there is and whine for more. No
free feeding is allowed because Marlo and Scooter will eat it all and
explode. I have to manage them very carefully and it does take effort.
Sometimes I'll lock the two overweight ones out of the feeding area
and just feed the other two something.

See how it goes. Maybe the new cat will decide that since food is
always available it doesn't have to eat all the time. But I doubt it.

Rene[_2_]
August 30th 11, 03:21 PM
Bill,

First, what kind of food are you feeding? I highly suggest feeding a
grain-free wet diet, preferable twice per day. Free feeding is NOT a
good idea, especially when you have several cats and can't monitor who
is getting what. Please read this article on feline nutrition:
http://www.catinfo.org/

I had a similar problem where our oldest cat gained weight even on
"diet" dry food. I switched him to wet and he slowly lost the weight
and has kept it off for about six years. Please see our weight-loss
website: http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/

The key is to lose the weight SLOWLY and gradually. Also, I highly
recommend buying a digital postal scale so you can weigh him at home.
When you are talking about ounces, this scale is invaluable. There's a
link to one in the above article.

I agree with others in saying to first visit your vet and get him an
overall check up. However, your vet may try to sell you "diet" dry
food--sadly, many vets are ill educated in feline nutrition (which is
why I suggested the article above). I went through two vets before
finding one did not tell me that wet food was "bad" for cats (which is
bogus).

Email me if you have more questions,
Rene

chaniarts[_2_]
August 30th 11, 03:32 PM
On 8/30/2011 5:31 AM, dgk wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 19:22:38 -0700, "Bill >
> wrote:
>
>> I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for the
>> next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs around 30 lbs,
>> which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they all have an infinite
>> bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open cans for them whenever they
>> want it. Will the obese kitty gradually reduce to the weight of the other
>> four? Or, will I have to institute some special system to keep him from
>> eating too much and maintaining his weight? My other four cats weigh around
>> 10 lbs each.....
>
> Hard to say. I have four cats. I have two cats that I want to eat
> more, and two that will eat everything there is and whine for more. No
> free feeding is allowed because Marlo and Scooter will eat it all and
> explode. I have to manage them very carefully and it does take effort.
> Sometimes I'll lock the two overweight ones out of the feeding area
> and just feed the other two something.
>
> See how it goes. Maybe the new cat will decide that since food is
> always available it doesn't have to eat all the time. But I doubt it.

check that it isn't a normal situation for this type of cat. i have a
normal looking tuxedo cat, but when i got him from the rescue i work at,
he was 23lbs. he's lost about 2lbs in the 8 years since i've gotten him,
and we don't allow free feeding.

http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/ss312/chaniarts/Cats/?action=view&current=jesse.jpg

suggestion: put the food in a room with a door. install something like
(there are multiple manufacturers of doors like this):

http://www.moorepet.com/SureFlap-Cat-Door-s/475.htm

in the door keyed so that only the thin cats can get in. put only a
limited amount of food outside the room.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

honeybunch
August 30th 11, 09:56 PM
On Aug 29, 7:10*pm, "Bill Graham" > wrote:
> honeybunch wrote:
> > On Aug 27, 10:22 pm, "Bill Graham" > wrote:
> >> I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for
> >> the next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs
> >> around 30 lbs, which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they
> >> all have an infinite bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open
> >> cans for them whenever they want it. Will the obese kitty gradually
> >> reduce to the weight of the other four? Or, will I have to institute
> >> some special system to keep him from eating too much and maintaining
> >> his weight? My other four cats weigh around 10 lbs each.....
>
> > Did your friend tell you what she fed Tiger? *Did she leave some food
> > with you? *and what does the vet suggest you feed Tiger who weighs as
> > much as a 3 year old child? *if you dont feed him what he wants he
> > will just eat the other cat's food or even he might eat one of the
> > other cats. *After you've had him for a while, how about letting him
> > roam around outside with your cats that are allowed out? *He is
> > probably bored so he eats. *How about a photo? *How do the other 4
> > feel about him?
>
> All good questions. Yes, they left some food. My other four cats are all
> inside/outside cats, and have two cat doors they regularly use. Tiger can go
> outside too, but he doesn't leave the property.... He just roams around the
> outside decks and sleeps in the sun like my other cats do. They get along
> with him pretty well, because he is a male, and three of them are females..
> They hiss and spit at each other once in a while, but they treat the males
> like they were the sheik of Araby. Tiger doesn't seem to eat very much, so I
> think his weight will come down in time. The vet that my friend had is the
> same one I use, so she should be familiar with Tiger's excessive weight. I
> will call her after a bit and have her check him out. Right now, I want him
> to acclimate to the new surroundings and not be traumatized by a vet visit.

Bill Graham
August 31st 11, 09:42 AM
Kelly Greene wrote:
> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>> I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for
>> the next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs
>> around 30 lbs, which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they
>> all have an infinite bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open
>> cans for them whenever they want it. Will the obese kitty gradually
>> reduce to the weight of the other four? Or, will I have to institute
>> some special system to keep him from eating too much and maintaining
>> his weight? My other four cats weigh around 10 lbs each.....
>
> If the little porker is allowed outside to roam around he'll probably
> slowly lose the excess flab. If he's an indoor kitty, you'll need to
> control his portions for sure. :-)

Well, now he is an outside cat, but he doesn't seem to have a great deal of
drive to run around outside. for sure, he doesn't go over the roof like a
couple of my other cats do. I think that in time, however, he will probably
become more active. It would be very hard to restrict his eating while he is
living here with my other 4 cats. they have been living with an infinite
supply of kibbles for a long time now.

Bill Graham
August 31st 11, 09:52 AM
chaniarts wrote:
> On 8/30/2011 5:31 AM, dgk wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 19:22:38 -0700, "Bill >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing
>>> for the next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs
>>> around 30 lbs, which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they
>>> all have an infinite bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open
>>> cans for them whenever they want it. Will the obese kitty gradually
>>> reduce to the weight of the other four? Or, will I have to
>>> institute some special system to keep him from eating too much and
>>> maintaining his weight? My other four cats weigh around 10 lbs
>>> each.....
>>
>> Hard to say. I have four cats. I have two cats that I want to eat
>> more, and two that will eat everything there is and whine for more.
>> No free feeding is allowed because Marlo and Scooter will eat it all
>> and explode. I have to manage them very carefully and it does take
>> effort. Sometimes I'll lock the two overweight ones out of the
>> feeding area and just feed the other two something.
>>
>> See how it goes. Maybe the new cat will decide that since food is
>> always available it doesn't have to eat all the time. But I doubt it.
>
> check that it isn't a normal situation for this type of cat. i have a
> normal looking tuxedo cat, but when i got him from the rescue i work
> at, he was 23lbs. he's lost about 2lbs in the 8 years since i've
> gotten him, and we don't allow free feeding.
>
> http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/ss312/chaniarts/Cats/?action=view&current=jesse.jpg
>
> suggestion: put the food in a room with a door. install something like
> (there are multiple manufacturers of doors like this):
>
> http://www.moorepet.com/SureFlap-Cat-Door-s/475.htm
>
> in the door keyed so that only the thin cats can get in. put only a
> limited amount of food outside the room.
>
> regards,
> charlie
> cave creek, az

Well, since all five of them are now outside cats, they will hunt up their
own food if they are hungry, either wild animals or neighbors dishes. but it
takes some exercise to even do that, so I am hoping he will lose a bit of
weight just by sharing the same territory as the other four.

Bill Graham
August 31st 11, 09:57 AM
honeybunch wrote:
> On Aug 29, 7:10 pm, "Bill Graham" > wrote:
>> honeybunch wrote:
>>
>>> Did your friend tell you what she fed Tiger? Did she leave some food
>>> with you? and what does the vet suggest you feed Tiger who weighs as
>>> much as a 3 year old child? if you dont feed him what he wants he
>>> will just eat the other cat's food or even he might eat one of the
>>> other cats. After you've had him for a while, how about letting him
>>> roam around outside with your cats that are allowed out? He is
>>> probably bored so he eats. How about a photo? How do the other 4
>>> feel about him?
>>
>> All good questions. Yes, they left some food. My other four cats are
>> all inside/outside cats, and have two cat doors they regularly use.
>> Tiger can go outside too, but he doesn't leave the property.... He
>> just roams around the outside decks and sleeps in the sun like my
>> other cats do. They get along with him pretty well, because he is a
>> male, and three of them are females. They hiss and spit at each
>> other once in a while, but they treat the males like they were the
>> sheik of Araby. Tiger doesn't seem to eat very much, so I think his
>> weight will come down in time. The vet that my friend had is the
>> same one I use, so she should be familiar with Tiger's excessive
>> weight. I will call her after a bit and have her check him out.
>> Right now, I want him to acclimate to the new surroundings and not
>> be traumatized by a vet visit.
>
> You're doing the best of everything. Maybe Tiger just has a slow
> metabolism and is meant to be a big fella.

Well, he is that. He does have pretty big bones. Maybe he is a Main Coon
cat.... I will hae to research them and find out. Even if he is, he could
lose 10 lbs. easily without becoming "underweight". I think exercise will
ultimately be the answer..

qaz qazwsx
September 2nd 11, 04:49 AM
On 8月31日, 下午4时57分, "Bill Graham" > wrote:
> honeybunch wrote:

> >> All good questions. Yes, they left some food. My other fourcatsare
> >> all inside/outsidecats, and have two cat doors they regularly use.
> >> Tiger can go outside too, but he doesn't leave the property.... He
> >> just roams around the outside decks and sleeps in the sun like my
> >> othercatsdo. They get along with him pretty well, because he is a
> >> male, and three of them are females. They hiss and spit at each
> >> other once in a while, but they treat the males like they were the
> >> sheik of Araby. Tiger doesn't seem to eat very much, so I think his
> >> weight will come down in time. The vet that my friend had is the
> >> same one I use, so she should be familiar with Tiger's excessive
> >> weight. I will call her after a bit and have her check him out.
> >> Right now, I want him to acclimate to the new surroundings and not
> >> be traumatized by a vet visit.
>
> > You're doing the best of everything. Maybe Tiger just has a slow
> > metabolism and is meant to be a big fella.
>
> Well, he is that. He does have pretty big bones. Maybe he is a Main Coon
> cat.... I will hae to research them and find out. Even if he is, he could
> lose 10 lbs. easily without becoming "underweight". I think exercise will
> ultimately be the answer..
http://www.geartaker.com/pets-supplies?utm_source=minxin&utm_medium=pets&utm_campaign=minxin

AbbotDavis
September 28th 11, 08:12 AM
Immediately bring some change in diet and take the cat on walk.For the purpose you should consult with a professional vet who can help you in balance diet for your cat.

Kelly Greene[_4_]
September 30th 11, 12:46 PM
"Mack A. Damia" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 19:22:38 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
> wrote:
>
>>I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for the
>>next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs around 30 lbs,
>>which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they all have an infinite
>>bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open cans for them whenever they
>>want it. Will the obese kitty gradually reduce to the weight of the other
>>four? Or, will I have to institute some special system to keep him from
>>eating too much and maintaining his weight? My other four cats weigh
>>around
>>10 lbs each.....
>
> My Pookie is about nine or ten months old, and she looks as if she's
> swallowed a basketball.
>
> I shoot hoops with her.

You're shortening her life. :*( Why not reduce her and avoid all the
health issues down the road?

Kelly Greene[_4_]
September 30th 11, 12:47 PM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for the
>next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs around 30 lbs,
>which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they all have an infinite
>bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open cans for them whenever they
>want it. Will the obese kitty gradually reduce to the weight of the other
>four? Or, will I have to institute some special system to keep him from
>eating too much and maintaining his weight? My other four cats weigh around
>10 lbs each.....

If he spends a lot of time outdoors and becomes active, he will probably
lose weight. But if all he doe is lay around and munch high calorie dry
food.... most likely not.

Kelly Greene[_4_]
September 30th 11, 12:53 PM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

> This is true, but food is only half of the equation. There is also
> exercise and my circumstances are different from what he he had before. My
> cats have a larger territory and they move about more. there is a chance
> he will lose some weight without drugs or starvation procedures. I guess I
> will just have to wait and see. I don't know what a "Maine Coon" cat looks
> like. But this one is just fat. I can tell from his other proportions that
> he could lose about half of his present weight and still be in good shape.

I worked in an Animal Hosp for years in NYC. Where Maine Coons are
concerned, most owners don't realize how FAT they are because of all the fur
and being told they're BIG cats. Big and fat are not the same thing. They
are larger cats generally speaking, but should not be FAT and weight 30+
lbs. For a Maine Coon to be that heavy and still be of "normal" weight, it
would have to be the size of a cocker spaniel. And many purebred Maine
Coons are no larger than the average housecat. They're not all large cats
and that includes those being shown in cat shows.

Kelly Greene[_4_]
September 30th 11, 12:59 PM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

> Well, now he is an outside cat, but he doesn't seem to have a great deal
> of drive to run around outside. for sure, he doesn't go over the roof like
> a couple of my other cats do. I think that in time, however, he will
> probably become more active. It would be very hard to restrict his eating
> while he is living here with my other 4 cats. they have been living with
> an infinite supply of kibbles for a long time now.

I was thinking..... have you considered switching to canned food? It's
generally better for cats due to the moisture content and doesn't include
fattening high-carb unhealthy things (for cats) like corn or other grains.
I have 3 indoor only cats. None are overweight and all get canned food.
They get a midnight snack of one of the better kibbles.. but that's all.

Kelly Greene[_4_]
September 30th 11, 01:01 PM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

> Well, since all five of them are now outside cats, they will hunt up their
> own food if they are hungry, either wild animals or neighbors dishes. but
> it takes some exercise to even do that, so I am hoping he will lose a bit
> of weight just by sharing the same territory as the other four.

Exercise should make a big difference. :0)

Bill Graham
September 30th 11, 09:36 PM
Kelly Greene wrote:
> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>> I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for
>> the next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs
>> around 30 lbs, which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they
>> all have an infinite bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open
>> cans for them whenever they want it. Will the obese kitty gradually
>> reduce to the weight of the other four? Or, will I have to institute
>> some special system to keep him from eating too much and maintaining
>> his weight? My other four cats weigh around 10 lbs each.....
>
> If he spends a lot of time outdoors and becomes active, he will
> probably lose weight. But if all he doe is lay around and munch high
> calorie dry food.... most likely not.

Well, he was an inside cat until I got him. I have3 been able to get him to
go out on the deck a few times, but he3 doesn't seem interested in exploring
much further than that. I am hopoing he will become as active as my other
cats, and lose a little weight. It would be impossible for me to feed him
seperately - He is only about 8 years old, so he should be more active. my
other 8 year old would go over the roof of the house when going from front
to back......

Bill Graham
September 30th 11, 09:42 PM
Kelly Greene wrote:
> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>

>> This is true, but food is only half of the equation. There is also
>> exercise and my circumstances are different from what he he had
>> before. My cats have a larger territory and they move about more.
>> there is a chance he will lose some weight without drugs or
>> starvation procedures. I guess I will just have to wait and see. I
>> don't know what a "Maine Coon" cat looks like. But this one is just
>> fat. I can tell from his other proportions that he could lose about
>> half of his present weight and still be in good shape.
>
> I worked in an Animal Hosp for years in NYC. Where Maine Coons are
> concerned, most owners don't realize how FAT they are because of all
> the fur and being told they're BIG cats. Big and fat are not the
> same thing. They are larger cats generally speaking, but should not
> be FAT and weight 30+ lbs. For a Maine Coon to be that heavy and
> still be of "normal" weight, it would have to be the size of a cocker
> spaniel. And many purebred Maine Coons are no larger than the
> average housecat. They're not all large cats and that includes those
> being shown in cat shows.

My brother in law lived in Alaska for a while, and he told me about a cat
that was very large that he saw whose owner said he fed him something
called, "Grow Kitty", which was some kind of hormone that made the cat grow
abnormally large. I tried looking the stuff up on the internet, but with no
success. This was about 40 years ago, so perhaps they took it off the
market.

Bill Graham
September 30th 11, 09:48 PM
Kelly Greene wrote:
> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>

>> Well, now he is an outside cat, but he doesn't seem to have a great
>> deal of drive to run around outside. for sure, he doesn't go over
>> the roof like a couple of my other cats do. I think that in time,
>> however, he will probably become more active. It would be very hard
>> to restrict his eating while he is living here with my other 4 cats.
>> they have been living with an infinite supply of kibbles for a long
>> time now.
>
> I was thinking..... have you considered switching to canned food? It's
> generally better for cats due to the moisture content and
> doesn't include fattening high-carb unhealthy things (for cats) like
> corn or other grains. I have 3 indoor only cats. None are overweight
> and all get canned food. They get a midnight snack of one of the
> better kibbles.. but that's all.

Yes. I feed them canned food too. But the canned food requires a certin
amount of up keep that the dry food doesn't need. My sink is always full of
dishes soaking in water to get the dried canned food off of them, and the
cats don't like this brand or that brand, or food that is too old, or had
been eaten on by some other cat..... The dry food is always available to all
of them, and it keeps, and is much more convenient. but, when a cat comes
into the kitchen and meows, well, he/she gets a fresh can, or sometimes some
roasted chicken that we usually have in the fridge too. We eat chicken about
three times a week.... What it amounts to, is that we have a bunch of very
spoiled cats.....:^)

Cassius
October 28th 11, 11:48 AM
I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for the
next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs around 30 lbs,
which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they all have an infinite
bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open cans for them whenever they
want it. Will the obese kitty gradually reduce to the weight of the other
four? Or, will I have to institute some special system to keep him from
eating too much and maintaining his weight? My other four cats weigh around
10 lbs each.....

Cats can certainly gain too much weight, especially if you've got just one and it lives in the house. Usually if you have two cats they keep each other busy, playing and chasing. Look on the box or go to purina.com and see what the recommended food portion is for him. If you don't know his weight, get on the scale and weigh yourself, then hold him in your arms and weigh again. It won't be exact but it'll be close. And when he begs, pick him up and hold him or brush him. He's probably begging for attention as much as something to eat.

adiposestem
November 9th 11, 03:09 AM
I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for the
next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs around 30 lbs,
which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they all have an infinite
bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open cans for them whenever they
want it. Will the obese kitty gradually reduce to the weight of the other
four? Or, will I have to institute some special system to keep him from
eating too much and maintaining his weight? My other four cats weigh around
10 lbs each.....

WOW!!That cat is really fat and I can really imagine it. As an advice, go to a vet and ask some suggestions on what to do. Veterinarian knows best.