PDA

View Full Version : Iris flowers and cats: toxicity?

September 20th 11, 01:34 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to find out whether the iris plant is dangerous for cats.
I'm talking about cut flowers in a vase, not flowers growing in the
ground or in a flower pot.

Does anyone here know the answer? I bought a small iris bunch
yesterday on impulse. I've never had any flowers or plants in my
apartment except cat grass. It was my birthday and I felt like
getting something small but special for myself. I was pretty sure I
remembered that they were safe for cats, but just in case, I put them
on a high shelf that the cats can't reach, until I had time to
research it and make sure.

Well. You have no idea how many different answers I've found on the
web. Some say the iris is poisonous. But what does that mean? Does it
mean a bit of indigestion, or death, or what? Others say it is only
mildly toxic. Some say it's only the bulb that's toxic (which
wouldn't be a problem, because I'm asking about *cut* flowers - no
bulb). Some say it's the bulb and the leaves. Some say it's the whole
plant. I don't know how reliable the information is, anyway.

I would prefer that people not respond with links, because (1)
chances are, I've already seen the site, and (2) it'll just be more
conflicting information and I'm already confused enough. So I thought
if I just asked people for their personal experiences, or experiences
that a friend had, or, if you're an expert on cat health, feel free
to impart info. Please be specific. If you know iris is toxic, please
say *how* toxic it is, and what it could do. And please say which
parts of the plant are toxic, and which parts are OK.

Thanks!
Joyce

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary
and those who don't.

Bill Graham
September 20th 11, 02:51 AM
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to find out whether the iris plant is dangerous for cats.
> I'm talking about cut flowers in a vase, not flowers growing in the
> ground or in a flower pot.
>
> Does anyone here know the answer? I bought a small iris bunch
> yesterday on impulse. I've never had any flowers or plants in my
> apartment except cat grass. It was my birthday and I felt like
> getting something small but special for myself. I was pretty sure I
> remembered that they were safe for cats, but just in case, I put them
> on a high shelf that the cats can't reach, until I had time to
> research it and make sure.
>
> Well. You have no idea how many different answers I've found on the
> web. Some say the iris is poisonous. But what does that mean? Does it
> mean a bit of indigestion, or death, or what? Others say it is only
> mildly toxic. Some say it's only the bulb that's toxic (which
> wouldn't be a problem, because I'm asking about *cut* flowers - no
> bulb). Some say it's the bulb and the leaves. Some say it's the whole
> plant. I don't know how reliable the information is, anyway.
>
> I would prefer that people not respond with links, because (1)
> chances are, I've already seen the site, and (2) it'll just be more
> conflicting information and I'm already confused enough. So I thought
> if I just asked people for their personal experiences, or experiences
> that a friend had, or, if you're an expert on cat health, feel free
> to impart info. Please be specific. If you know iris is toxic, please
> say *how* toxic it is, and what it could do. And please say which
> parts of the plant are toxic, and which parts are OK.
>
> Thanks!
> Joyce

Here is a link I found:
http://cats.about.com/od/catsafety/ss/toxicplants.htm#

September 20th 11, 06:43 AM
Bill Graham wrote:

> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to find out whether the iris plant is dangerous for cats.
>> I'm talking about cut flowers in a vase, not flowers growing in the
>> ground or in a flower pot.
>>
>> Does anyone here know the answer? I bought a small iris bunch
>> yesterday on impulse. I've never had any flowers or plants in my
>> apartment except cat grass. It was my birthday and I felt like
>> getting something small but special for myself. I was pretty sure I
>> remembered that they were safe for cats, but just in case, I put them
>> on a high shelf that the cats can't reach, until I had time to
>> research it and make sure.
>>
>> Well. You have no idea how many different answers I've found on the
>> web. Some say the iris is poisonous. But what does that mean? Does it
>> mean a bit of indigestion, or death, or what? Others say it is only
>> mildly toxic. Some say it's only the bulb that's toxic (which
>> wouldn't be a problem, because I'm asking about *cut* flowers - no
>> bulb). Some say it's the bulb and the leaves. Some say it's the whole
>> plant. I don't know how reliable the information is, anyway.
>>
>> I would prefer that people not respond with links, because (1)
>> chances are, I've already seen the site, and (2) it'll just be more
>> conflicting information and I'm already confused enough. So I thought
>> if I just asked people for their personal experiences, or experiences
>> that a friend had, or, if you're an expert on cat health, feel free
>> to impart info. Please be specific. If you know iris is toxic, please
>> say *how* toxic it is, and what it could do. And please say which
>> parts of the plant are toxic, and which parts are OK.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Joyce

> Here is a link I found:
> http://cats.about.com/od/catsafety/ss/toxicplants.htm#

Yeah, that's one of the sites I've already looked at (see above). It
didn't feel conclusive to me.

Thanks,
Joyce

--
Something you'll never hear an 8-year-old say:

"Nana, will you spit on your hankie and wipe the gravy off my face?"

Christine BA[_3_]
September 20th 11, 07:53 AM
20.9.2011 8:43, kirjoitti:
> Bill Graham wrote:
>
> > wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to find out whether the iris plant is dangerous for cats.
> >> I'm talking about cut flowers in a vase, not flowers growing in the
> >> ground or in a flower pot.
> >>
> >> Does anyone here know the answer? I bought a small iris bunch
> >> yesterday on impulse. I've never had any flowers or plants in my
> >> apartment except cat grass. It was my birthday and I felt like
> >> getting something small but special for myself. I was pretty sure I
> >> remembered that they were safe for cats, but just in case, I put them
> >> on a high shelf that the cats can't reach, until I had time to
> >> research it and make sure.
> >>
> >> Well. You have no idea how many different answers I've found on the
> >> web. Some say the iris is poisonous. But what does that mean? Does it
> >> mean a bit of indigestion, or death, or what? Others say it is only
> >> mildly toxic. Some say it's only the bulb that's toxic (which
> >> wouldn't be a problem, because I'm asking about *cut* flowers - no
> >> bulb). Some say it's the bulb and the leaves. Some say it's the whole
> >> plant. I don't know how reliable the information is, anyway.
> >>
> >> I would prefer that people not respond with links, because (1)
> >> chances are, I've already seen the site, and (2) it'll just be more
> >> conflicting information and I'm already confused enough. So I thought
> >> if I just asked people for their personal experiences, or experiences
> >> that a friend had, or, if you're an expert on cat health, feel free
> >> to impart info. Please be specific. If you know iris is toxic, please
> >> say *how* toxic it is, and what it could do. And please say which
> >> parts of the plant are toxic, and which parts are OK.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> Joyce
>
> > Here is a link I found:
> > http://cats.about.com/od/catsafety/ss/toxicplants.htm#
>
> Yeah, that's one of the sites I've already looked at (see above). It
> didn't feel conclusive to me.
>
> Thanks,
> Joyce

Toxic according to this site:
http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/poison-control/Plants/iris.aspx

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

September 20th 11, 09:11 PM
Christine BA wrote:

>>> Here is a link I found:
>>> http://cats.about.com/od/catsafety/ss/toxicplants.htm#

>> Yeah, that's one of the sites I've already looked at (see above). It
>> didn't feel conclusive to me.

> Toxic according to this site:
> http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/poison-control/Plants/iris.aspx

That's another one I've seen - that one says that most of the toxin is
in the bulb. I bought cut flowers, so no bulb.

Thanks,
Joyce

--
- Your mom and I are going to divorce next month.
- What??? Why! Call me please?

Bill Graham
> Bill Graham wrote:
>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to find out whether the iris plant is dangerous for cats.
>>> I'm talking about cut flowers in a vase, not flowers growing in the
>>> ground or in a flower pot.
>>>
>>> Does anyone here know the answer? I bought a small iris bunch
>>> yesterday on impulse. I've never had any flowers or plants in my
>>> apartment except cat grass. It was my birthday and I felt like
>>> getting something small but special for myself. I was pretty sure I
>>> remembered that they were safe for cats, but just in case, I put
>>> them on a high shelf that the cats can't reach, until I had time to
>>> research it and make sure.
>>>
>>> Well. You have no idea how many different answers I've found on the
>>> web. Some say the iris is poisonous. But what does that mean? Does
>>> it mean a bit of indigestion, or death, or what? Others say it is
>>> only mildly toxic. Some say it's only the bulb that's toxic (which
>>> wouldn't be a problem, because I'm asking about *cut* flowers - no
>>> bulb). Some say it's the bulb and the leaves. Some say it's the
>>> whole plant. I don't know how reliable the information is, anyway.
>>>
>>> I would prefer that people not respond with links, because (1)
>>> chances are, I've already seen the site, and (2) it'll just be more
>>> conflicting information and I'm already confused enough. So I
>>> thought if I just asked people for their personal experiences, or
>>> experiences that a friend had, or, if you're an expert on cat
>>> health, feel free to impart info. Please be specific. If you know
>>> iris is toxic, please say *how* toxic it is, and what it could do.
>>> And please say which parts of the plant are toxic, and which parts
>>> are OK.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Joyce
>
>> Here is a link I found:
>> http://cats.about.com/od/catsafety/ss/toxicplants.htm#
>
> Yeah, that's one of the sites I've already looked at (see above). It
> didn't feel conclusive to me.
>
> Thanks,
> Joyce

From having lived with and around cats all of my life, and being in many
houses filled with potted plants, I think that, in general, there are no
plants found in the average home that are toxic to cats or other pets. If
there were such plants, everyone would know about them by now, and they
would be "common knowlege". Of course, any pet might be allergic to
anything, so there will always be exceptions. In general, however, I
wouldn't worry about it.

chaniarts[_2_]
September 29th 11, 05:53 PM
On 9/20/2011 3:38 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
> wrote:
>> Bill Graham wrote:

>>> Here is a link I found:
>>> http://cats.about.com/od/catsafety/ss/toxicplants.htm#
>>
>> Yeah, that's one of the sites I've already looked at (see above). It
>> didn't feel conclusive to me.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Joyce
>
> From having lived with and around cats all of my life, and being in
> many houses filled with potted plants, I think that, in general, there
> are no plants found in the average home that are toxic to cats or other
> pets. If there were such plants, everyone would know about them by now,
> and they would be "common knowlege". Of course, any pet might be
> allergic to anything, so there will always be exceptions. In general,
> however, I wouldn't worry about it.

huh? there are plenty of toxic house plants available in local stores
all over that are toxic to humans, and would also be toxic to all house
pets. this is well documented.

or did you mean something else?

Bill Graham
September 29th 11, 07:47 PM
chaniarts wrote:
> On 9/20/2011 3:38 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
>> wrote:

>>> Yeah, that's one of the sites I've already looked at (see above). It
>>> didn't feel conclusive to me.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Joyce
>>
>> From having lived with and around cats all of my life, and being in
>> many houses filled with potted plants, I think that, in general,
>> there are no plants found in the average home that are toxic to cats
>> or other pets. If there were such plants, everyone would know about
>> them by now, and they would be "common knowlege". Of course, any pet
>> might be allergic to anything, so there will always be exceptions.
>> In general, however, I wouldn't worry about it.
>
> huh? there are plenty of toxic house plants available in local stores
> all over that are toxic to humans, and would also be toxic to all
> house pets. this is well documented.
>
> or did you mean something else?

No. I meant exactly what I said. Why don't you assemble and give us a list
of these plants? It would be very useful to this group.

chaniarts[_2_]
September 29th 11, 08:01 PM
On 9/29/2011 11:47 AM, Bill Graham wrote:

>>> From having lived with and around cats all of my life, and being in
>>> many houses filled with potted plants, I think that, in general,
>>> there are no plants found in the average home that are toxic to cats
>>> or other pets. If there were such plants, everyone would know about
>>> them by now, and they would be "common knowlege". Of course, any pet
>>> might be allergic to anything, so there will always be exceptions.
>>> In general, however, I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>> huh? there are plenty of toxic house plants available in local stores
>> all over that are toxic to humans, and would also be toxic to all
>> house pets. this is well documented.
>>
>> or did you mean something else?
>
> No. I meant exactly what I said. Why don't you assemble and give us a
> list of these plants? It would be very useful to this group.

there's multiple places around on the net that have lists. some common
ones off the top of my head:

rhododendron
chrysanthemum
philodendron
daffodil
mistletoe

all of these are commonly found as house plants or purchased flowers

September 29th 11, 08:03 PM
chaniarts wrote:

>>> huh? there are plenty of toxic house plants available in local stores
>>> all over that are toxic to humans, and would also be toxic to all
>>> house pets. this is well documented.
>>>
>>> or did you mean something else?
>>
>> No. I meant exactly what I said. Why don't you assemble and give us a
>> list of these plants? It would be very useful to this group.

> there's multiple places around on the net that have lists. some common
> ones off the top of my head:

> rhododendron
> chrysanthemum
> philodendron
> daffodil
> mistletoe

> all of these are commonly found as house plants or purchased flowers

Don't forget lilies! They're among the worst - very deadly.

--
Joyce

May the great galactic kitten always purr you to sleep.

Matthew[_3_]
September 29th 11, 09:58 PM
a link with information and pictures right from the ASPCA
http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/poison-control/Plants.aspx?plant_toxicity=toxic-to-cats

> wrote in message
> chaniarts wrote:

> >> No. I meant exactly what I said. Why don't you assemble and give us a
> >> list of these plants? It would be very useful to this group.
>
> > there's multiple places around on the net that have lists. some common
> > ones off the top of my head:
>
> > rhododendron
> > chrysanthemum
> > philodendron
> > daffodil
> > mistletoe
>
> > all of these are commonly found as house plants or purchased flowers
>
> Don't forget lilies! They're among the worst - very deadly.
>
> --
> Joyce
>
> May the great galactic kitten always purr you to sleep.

Bill Graham
September 30th 11, 03:21 AM
wrote:
> chaniarts wrote:

>>> No. I meant exactly what I said. Why don't you assemble and give us
>>> a list of these plants? It would be very useful to this group.
>
>> there's multiple places around on the net that have lists. some
>> common ones off the top of my head:
>
>> rhododendron
>> chrysanthemum
>> philodendron
>> daffodil
>> mistletoe
>
>> all of these are commonly found as house plants or purchased flowers
>
> Don't forget lilies! They're among the worst - very deadly.

But all these grow in the garden too. They are available to any cat who ever
gets outside. Perhaps that's where the conflict arises.... I am a keeper of
outside cats. all of my cats (I currently have five) can come and go at any
time. There is no way in hell I cold keep any of them from eating any plant
they happened to come across in their daily (and nightly) meanderings
through the neighborhood. As a matter of fact, I had one die this Summer
from eating/drinking "Round-up", which is a weed killer my neighbor used on
his back lawn, and which contaminated a water supply that my cat was
accustomed to using. But this is rare, and I have never lost any cat from
eating a plant. Cats are normally carnivores and outside of taking small
tasts of stuff I eat, will not normally eat much of anything thats
vegitable.

chaniarts[_2_]
September 30th 11, 03:28 PM
On 9/29/2011 7:21 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
> wrote:
>> chaniarts wrote:

>>> there's multiple places around on the net that have lists. some
>>> common ones off the top of my head:
>>
>>> rhododendron
>>> chrysanthemum
>>> philodendron
>>> daffodil
>>> mistletoe
>>
>>> all of these are commonly found as house plants or purchased flowers
>>
>> Don't forget lilies! They're among the worst - very deadly.
>
> But all these grow in the garden too. They are available to any cat who
> ever gets outside. Perhaps that's where the conflict arises.... I am a
> keeper of outside cats. all of my cats (I currently have five) can come
> and go at any time. There is no way in hell I cold keep any of them from
> eating any plant they happened to come across in their daily (and
> nightly) meanderings through the neighborhood. As a matter of fact, I
> had one die this Summer from eating/drinking "Round-up", which is a weed
> killer my neighbor used on his back lawn, and which contaminated a water
> supply that my cat was accustomed to using. But this is rare, and I have
> never lost any cat from eating a plant. Cats are normally carnivores and
> outside of taking small tasts of stuff I eat, will not normally eat much
> of anything thats vegitable.

true, but that's anecdotal evidence. some more anecdotal evidence: i
have 7 indoor only cats, and there is not one house plant, including
store bought cut flowers, that they don't regularly nibble on (except
for my indoor cactus).

Bill Graham
September 30th 11, 09:53 PM
chaniarts wrote:
> On 9/29/2011 7:21 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
>> wrote:

>>> Don't forget lilies! They're among the worst - very deadly.
>>
>> But all these grow in the garden too. They are available to any cat
>> who ever gets outside. Perhaps that's where the conflict arises....
>> I am a keeper of outside cats. all of my cats (I currently have
>> five) can come and go at any time. There is no way in hell I cold
>> keep any of them from eating any plant they happened to come across
>> in their daily (and nightly) meanderings through the neighborhood.
>> As a matter of fact, I had one die this Summer from eating/drinking
>> "Round-up", which is a weed killer my neighbor used on his back
>> lawn, and which contaminated a water supply that my cat was
>> accustomed to using. But this is rare, and I have never lost any cat
>> from eating a plant. Cats are normally carnivores and outside of
>> taking small tasts of stuff I eat, will not normally eat much of
>> anything thats vegitable.
>
> true, but that's anecdotal evidence. some more anecdotal evidence: i
> have 7 indoor only cats, and there is not one house plant, including
> store bought cut flowers, that they don't regularly nibble on (except
> for my indoor cactus).

Yes. Kittens can be seriously harmed by certain cactus plants. I have heard
of several instances of this...... I will add it to my list of things that
can hurt or kill outside cats...

Bill Graham
September 30th 11, 10:01 PM
chaniarts wrote:
> On 9/29/2011 7:21 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
>> wrote:

>>> Don't forget lilies! They're among the worst - very deadly.
>>
>> But all these grow in the garden too. They are available to any cat
>> who ever gets outside. Perhaps that's where the conflict arises....
>> I am a keeper of outside cats. all of my cats (I currently have
>> five) can come and go at any time. There is no way in hell I cold
>> keep any of them from eating any plant they happened to come across
>> in their daily (and nightly) meanderings through the neighborhood.
>> As a matter of fact, I had one die this Summer from eating/drinking
>> "Round-up", which is a weed killer my neighbor used on his back
>> lawn, and which contaminated a water supply that my cat was
>> accustomed to using. But this is rare, and I have never lost any cat
>> from eating a plant. Cats are normally carnivores and outside of
>> taking small tasts of stuff I eat, will not normally eat much of
>> anything thats vegitable.
>
> true, but that's anecdotal evidence. some more anecdotal evidence: i
> have 7 indoor only cats, and there is not one house plant, including
> store bought cut flowers, that they don't regularly nibble on

Well, I lot of cats will nibble on most anything. But unless whateveritis is
very very poisonous, a little nibble is usually harmless. I had one who ate
an artichoke plant down to ground level as soon as it grew about a foot high
many years ago, but it wasn't poisonous at all, so it did the cat little
harm. My wife had a cat that liked cantaloupe, but that didn't hurt him
either. Very few plants are poisonous enough to hure a cat from a little
nibbling now and then. If they did, they would also hurt children. Some
toddlers will eat anything. My cats nibble on the food we are eating for
breakfast or dinner. We even put some on a seperate plate for them to
sample, (but they prefer to get it directly off of our plates.....)