PDA

View Full Version : New food for feline hypothyrodism. REally?

buglady
October 4th 11, 01:11 PM
So Hills has launched a new food:
http://www.multivu.com/mnr/51765-hills-pet-nutrition-launches-new-pet-food-for-hyperthyroid-cats

The only thing I have to say about this is:
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/11/lies-damned-lies-and-medical-science/8269/

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Matthew[_3_]
October 4th 11, 04:52 PM
"buglady" > wrote in message
m...
> So Hills has launched a new food:
> http://www.multivu.com/mnr/51765-hills-pet-nutrition-launches-new-pet-food-for-hyperthyroid-cats
>

> The only thing I have to say about this is:
> http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/11/lies-damned-lies-and-medical-science/8269/
>
> buglady
> take out the dog before replying

Honestly you may want to read what you post before you post. All that first
article was a person reveling that studies can be wrong. Everyone knows
that for every thing that says it is bad there are things that say it is
good

that food would have made it easier to take cat of my cat who is now gone
that suffered from that disease

Kelly Greene[_4_]
October 10th 11, 03:04 PM
"buglady" > wrote in message
m...

> ......Yes, lots of vets sell HIlls. Hills is a marketing success. Says
> nothing about the quality of their food.

BINGO!!!!!!!!

Bill Graham
October 11th 11, 06:19 AM
Kelly Greene wrote:
> "buglady" > wrote in message
> m...
>>
>> ......Yes, lots of vets sell HIlls. Hills is a marketing success. Says
>> nothing about the quality of their food.
>

> BINGO!!!!!!!!

My wife buys a raw chicken from the super for less than $3.00. We roast it,
and it feeds both of us and all five cats. There is usually enough left over
to make a couple of chicken salad sandwiches the next day. That's pretty
hard to beat.

Kelly Greene[_4_]
October 13th 11, 07:03 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message
> Kelly Greene wrote:
>> "buglady" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>>
>>> ......Yes, lots of vets sell HIlls. Hills is a marketing success. Says
>>> nothing about the quality of their food.
>>

>> BINGO!!!!!!!!
>
> My wife buys a raw chicken from the super for less than $3.00. We roast
> it, and it feeds both of us and all five cats. There is usually enough
> left over to make a couple of chicken salad sandwiches the next day.
> That's pretty hard to beat.

I wish my cats would eat more than just canned cat food and a midnight snack
of kibble. They used to eat raw meat a few times a week and sometimes some
cooked chicken, fish or pork... but over the months they stopped. Now it's
90% canned and 10% kibble. They've lost all interest in raw meat and table
food. I assume your cats have access to wild food since cooked chicken
isn't a balanced diet.

Bill Graham
October 13th 11, 09:27 AM
Kelly Greene wrote:
> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>> Kelly Greene wrote:
>>> "buglady" > wrote in message
>>> m...

>>> BINGO!!!!!!!!
>>
>> My wife buys a raw chicken from the super for less than $3.00. We
>> roast it, and it feeds both of us and all five cats. There is
>> usually enough left over to make a couple of chicken salad
>> sandwiches the next day. That's pretty hard to beat.
>
> I wish my cats would eat more than just canned cat food and a
> midnight snack of kibble. They used to eat raw meat a few times a
> week and sometimes some cooked chicken, fish or pork... but over the
> months they stopped. Now it's 90% canned and 10% kibble. They've
> lost all interest in raw meat and table food. I assume your cats
> have access to wild food since cooked chicken isn't a balanced diet.

Our cats live the good life. They get pretty well anything they want. They
have two or more bowls of infinite kibbles, several dishes of wet canned cat
food available all the time, and roasted chicken and/or other cooked meat
most of the time. I am amazed that they aren't all overweight, but somehow,
they seem to be able to avoid obesity. We only have one that is too heavy,
and we just got him from someone else, so I am hoping he will diet down to
approach the weights of the other four....

Kelly Greene[_4_]
October 13th 11, 11:41 PM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message
> Kelly Greene wrote:

>>> My wife buys a raw chicken from the super for less than $3.00. We
>>> roast it, and it feeds both of us and all five cats. There is
>>> usually enough left over to make a couple of chicken salad
>>> sandwiches the next day. That's pretty hard to beat.
>>
>> I wish my cats would eat more than just canned cat food and a
>> midnight snack of kibble. They used to eat raw meat a few times a
>> week and sometimes some cooked chicken, fish or pork... but over the
>> months they stopped. Now it's 90% canned and 10% kibble. They've
>> lost all interest in raw meat and table food. I assume your cats
>> have access to wild food since cooked chicken isn't a balanced diet.
>
> Our cats live the good life. They get pretty well anything they want. They
> have two or more bowls of infinite kibbles, several dishes of wet canned
> cat food available all the time, and roasted chicken and/or other cooked
> meat most of the time. I am amazed that they aren't all overweight, but
> somehow, they seem to be able to avoid obesity. We only have one that is
> too heavy, and we just got him from someone else, so I am hoping he will
> diet down to approach the weights of the other four....

If he's running around outside, he will most likely slim down. So far our
three indoor-only cats are normal weight. I think it's because they're
pretty darn active and eat little kibble. If I left kibble out 24/7 they
would probably gain weight. :)

Bill Graham
October 16th 11, 07:39 AM
Kelly Greene wrote:
> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>> Kelly Greene wrote:

>>> I wish my cats would eat more than just canned cat food and a
>>> midnight snack of kibble. They used to eat raw meat a few times a
>>> week and sometimes some cooked chicken, fish or pork... but over the
>>> months they stopped. Now it's 90% canned and 10% kibble. They've
>>> lost all interest in raw meat and table food. I assume your cats
>>> have access to wild food since cooked chicken isn't a balanced diet.
>>
>> Our cats live the good life. They get pretty well anything they
>> want. They have two or more bowls of infinite kibbles, several
>> dishes of wet canned cat food available all the time, and roasted
>> chicken and/or other cooked meat most of the time. I am amazed that
>> they aren't all overweight, but somehow, they seem to be able to
>> avoid obesity. We only have one that is too heavy, and we just got
>> him from someone else, so I am hoping he will diet down to approach
>> the weights of the other four....
>
> If he's running around outside, he will most likely slim down. So
> far our three indoor-only cats are normal weight. I think it's
> because they're pretty darn active and eat little kibble. If I left
> kibble out 24/7 they would probably gain weight. :)

Mine frequently overeat, but throw it up afterward.... Cats seem to be
naturally anorexic....:^)