PDA

View Full Version : Recurrent Choke (Yankee)


jmc[_4_]
October 28th 11, 03:21 AM
Yankee choked tonight again, for no reason we understand. He gets a
small amount of food... physically it's about half a quart of pellets.

He gets water in his pellets to make soup. He does not bolt his food.
In fact, the BO has noted that he chews carefully, mouth closed.

So why did he choke again tonight? The location was same as before,
down at the bottom of his esophagus, inside his chest.

He cleared the choke minutes before I arrived, of course, and was
grazing when I arrived. He's sore though, when I gently felt to see if
I could palpate any remaining blockage, he showed discomfort. Although
the whole time he was in the paddock he grazed, when I put him out to
pasture, he just stood there, occasionally bobbing his head very
slightly and just as slightly stretching his neck out. I've never put
him out to pasture where he didn't quickly either run out or start
grazing. 'course I've not been out there that late at night either.

Vet was unable to call back right away, he was at another emergency we
think. By the time he called back we'd both gone home. I'll talk to
him tomorrow.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this. He's only 2.5, and
has choked twice in perhaps the last six months. That bothers me, but I
haven't a clue what might be wrong, aside from damage from the previous
choke.

jmc

Patok[_2_]
October 28th 11, 05:22 AM
jmc wrote:

Ummm... I'm all in sympathy and sending purrs for this Yankee, but
what species is he? I think you may have posted in the wrong group.


> Yankee choked tonight again, for no reason we understand. He gets a
> small amount of food... physically it's about half a quart of pellets.
>
> He gets water in his pellets to make soup. He does not bolt his food.
> In fact, the BO has noted that he chews carefully, mouth closed.
>
> So why did he choke again tonight? The location was same as before,
> down at the bottom of his esophagus, inside his chest.
>
> He cleared the choke minutes before I arrived, of course, and was
> grazing when I arrived. He's sore though, when I gently felt to see if
> I could palpate any remaining blockage, he showed discomfort. Although
> the whole time he was in the paddock he grazed, when I put him out to
> pasture, he just stood there, occasionally bobbing his head very
> slightly and just as slightly stretching his neck out. I've never put
> him out to pasture where he didn't quickly either run out or start
> grazing. 'course I've not been out there that late at night either.
>
> Vet was unable to call back right away, he was at another emergency we
> think. By the time he called back we'd both gone home. I'll talk to
> him tomorrow.
>
> Wondering if anyone has any experience with this. He's only 2.5, and
> has choked twice in perhaps the last six months. That bothers me, but I
> haven't a clue what might be wrong, aside from damage from the previous
> choke.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
*
Whoever bans a book, shall be banished. Whoever burns a book, shall burn.

jmc[_4_]
October 28th 11, 10:21 AM
Yes, I did. Posted right before going to bed. Sorry folks. Yankee is
my young horse.

jmc

On 10/28/11 12:22 AM, Patok wrote:
> jmc wrote:
>
> Ummm... I'm all in sympathy and sending purrs for this Yankee, but what
> species is he? I think you may have posted in the wrong group.
>
>
>> Yankee choked tonight again, for no reason we understand. He gets a
>> small amount of food... physically it's about half a quart of pellets.
>>
>> He gets water in his pellets to make soup. He does not bolt his food.
>> In fact, the BO has noted that he chews carefully, mouth closed.
>>
>> So why did he choke again tonight? The location was same as before,
>> down at the bottom of his esophagus, inside his chest.
>>
>> He cleared the choke minutes before I arrived, of course, and was
>> grazing when I arrived. He's sore though, when I gently felt to see if
>> I could palpate any remaining blockage, he showed discomfort. Although
>> the whole time he was in the paddock he grazed, when I put him out to
>> pasture, he just stood there, occasionally bobbing his head very
>> slightly and just as slightly stretching his neck out. I've never put
>> him out to pasture where he didn't quickly either run out or start
>> grazing. 'course I've not been out there that late at night either.
>>
>> Vet was unable to call back right away, he was at another emergency we
>> think. By the time he called back we'd both gone home. I'll talk to
>> him tomorrow.
>>
>> Wondering if anyone has any experience with this. He's only 2.5, and
>> has choked twice in perhaps the last six months. That bothers me, but
>> I haven't a clue what might be wrong, aside from damage from the
>> previous choke.
>

MaryL[_2_]
October 28th 11, 11:43 AM
"jmc" wrote in message ...

Yes, I did. Posted right before going to bed. Sorry folks. Yankee is
my young horse.

jmc

- - - - - - - - -

I finally figured that out when you mentioned "paddock" and "grazing in a
pasture." Seriously, I hope you can find a solution to this. We had horses
when I was growing up, but I never saw anything like this. Here is a short
article that describes choking in horses:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_(horse). You will find numerous articles
on the Internet if you type in "choking in horses."

MaryL

jmc[_2_]
October 28th 11, 08:49 PM
Suddenly, without warning, MaryL exclaimed (10/28/2011 6:43 AM):
>
>
> "jmc" wrote in message ...
>
> Yes, I did. Posted right before going to bed. Sorry folks. Yankee is
> my young horse.
>
> jmc
>
> - - - - - - - - -
>
> I finally figured that out when you mentioned "paddock" and "grazing in
> a pasture." Seriously, I hope you can find a solution to this. We had
> horses when I was growing up, but I never saw anything like this. Here
> is a short article that describes choking in horses:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_(horse). You will find numerous
> articles on the Internet if you type in "choking in horses."
>
> MaryL
>

Oh, I know a lot about choke. Yankee's is a mystery though, as he's
choking even though everything is fine and we're doing all the right things.

On top of Meep's issues (we thought she had CRF then it turned out to be
"only" a huge infection and stage 1 renal insufficiency) it's been a
rough week.

One of those weeks I think "Ah, so this is what a nervous breakdown
feels like!" :)

jmc