PDA

View Full Version : cats fight at feeding time

Joseph O'Brien
November 1st 11, 09:51 AM
We have three cats that live fairly peaceably in our 1200 square foot
apartment. There is one exception, though: when they get hungry, they
fight.

OK, maybe "fight" is too strong of a word. Very specifically, our
older female cat beats up on the two male cats when it's close to
feeding time. She chases them out of the kitchen, swats at their
noses, and in general creates a stressful ruckus. This has led to an
unhealthy response from the humans: when they fight, we feed them. I'm
afraid that they may have "trained" us, as we definitely feed them too
much -- the two male cats are overweight.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have recommendations for
ending this behavior?

Thanks.
Joseph

Bill Graham
November 2nd 11, 05:04 AM
Joseph O'Brien wrote:
> We have three cats that live fairly peaceably in our 1200 square foot
> apartment. There is one exception, though: when they get hungry, they
> fight.
>
> OK, maybe "fight" is too strong of a word. Very specifically, our
> older female cat beats up on the two male cats when it's close to
> feeding time. She chases them out of the kitchen, swats at their
> noses, and in general creates a stressful ruckus. This has led to an
> unhealthy response from the humans: when they fight, we feed them. I'm
> afraid that they may have "trained" us, as we definitely feed them too
> much -- the two male cats are overweight.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have recommendations for
> ending this behavior?
>
> Thanks.
> Joseph

Yes. (I have a recommendation) Feed them at two places at the same time. A
bowl of food and water in the bathroom, and one in the kitchen. Keep a bowl
of kibbles full at both places all the time. I don't know about your cats,
but mine cooperate to get food. I don't open the bags of dry food for them.
They have to claw their way into it themselves, and scatter it all over the
kitchen floor to eat it. When one gets into the bag, the others benefit from
his/her work. This makes them happy to have each other around......

Delmon07
November 2nd 11, 06:17 AM
We have three cats that live fairly peaceably in our 1200 square foot
apartment. There is one exception, though: when they get hungry, they
fight.

What you are experiencing with your cat is called petting aggression. It actually is a fairly normal behavior in cats. There are ways to minimize stimulation of this petting aggression, look for behavioral signs, stop stimulating the animal when these signs appear etc...
Probably the best quality for the money in pet food is Purina Pro Plan. I would find an adult maintenance food that meets the requirements of the pet needs. If its overweight and that's the only concern, I would probably go with a weight control, or healthy weight formula food. Follow the feeding recommendations on the bag, and increase or decrease that amount based on the catís body condition. Itís not abnormal for a cat to free feed. Look up body condition scoring in cats. At 9lbs, that sounds like a reasonable weight. And yes it is quite normal for your cat to not like other cats and your dog. Every cat has its own personality, and depending on their spay/neuter status that can affect it, but some cats may be okay with other animals in the house and others will be the most hateful thing towards them.

Rene[_2_]
November 2nd 11, 05:14 PM
On Nov 1, 4:51*am, "Joseph O'Brien" > wrote:
> We have three cats that live fairly peaceably in our 1200 square foot
> apartment. There is one exception, though: when they get hungry, they
> fight.
>
> OK, maybe "fight" is too strong of a word. Very specifically, our
> older female cat beats up on the two male cats when it's close to
> feeding time. She chases them out of the kitchen, swats at their
> noses, and in general creates a stressful ruckus. This has led to an
> unhealthy response from the humans: when they fight, we feed them. I'm
> afraid that they may have "trained" us, as we definitely feed them too
> much -- the two male cats are overweight.

You need to schedule two feedings, about 12 hours apart, and separate
the cats while they eat. Since the female is the aggressor, I'd shut
her in a bathroom or bedroom to eat first, then feed the two males in
the kitchen. After 10-15 minutes, pick up the bowls let the female out
of the room.

This is assuming, of course, that you feed wet food. If your males are
overweight, free feeding dry food is not a good idea. It seems like
leaving the bowl out is creating a constant problem of territory
competition. Feeding twice per day will eliminate this.

John Doe
November 9th 11, 08:07 AM
"Joseph O'Brien" <obrien1984 hotmail.com> wrote:

> OK, maybe "fight" is too strong of a word. Very specifically,
> our older female cat beats up on the two male cats when it's
> close to feeding time. She chases them out of the kitchen, swats
> at their noses, and in general creates a stressful ruckus.

I would immediately (if not sooner) clip her claws. I guess it's a
best kept secret, but clipping an aggressive cats claws is to me
the obvious solution to help keep it from damaging other animals.
That works for behavior modification without confrontation (except
a little agitation during the clipping). A nonconfrontational
deterrent is best for successful cat management.

Then I would work on the other stuff. I think you got some good
advice from other replies.
--

> This has led to an
> unhealthy response from the humans: when they fight, we feed them. I'm
> afraid that they may have "trained" us, as we definitely feed them too
> much -- the two male cats are overweight.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have recommendations for
> ending this behavior?
>
> Thanks.
> Joseph

Matthew[_3_]
November 9th 11, 02:49 PM
"John Doe" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> "Joseph O'Brien" <obrien1984 hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> OK, maybe "fight" is too strong of a word. Very specifically,
>> our older female cat beats up on the two male cats when it's
>> close to feeding time. She chases them out of the kitchen, swats
>> at their noses, and in general creates a stressful ruckus.
>
> I would immediately (if not sooner) clip her claws. I guess it's a
> best kept secret, but clipping an aggressive cats claws is to me
> the obvious solution to help keep it from damaging other animals.
> That works for behavior modification without confrontation (except
> a little agitation during the clipping). A nonconfrontational
> deterrent is best for successful cat management.
>

>> This has led to an
>> unhealthy response from the humans: when they fight, we feed them. I'm
>> afraid that they may have "trained" us, as we definitely feed them too
>> much -- the two male cats are overweight.
>>
>> Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have recommendations for
>> ending this behavior?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Joseph

NEVER DECLAW A CAT and NEVER LISTEN TO JOHN DOE. He is a unstable
individual and troll

Get back on your meds john doe aka mark bender You will feel much better

Take a look at Marks history
https://www.google.com/search?q=john+doe+aka+mark+bender&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADSA_enUS456

chaniarts[_2_]
November 9th 11, 03:01 PM
On 11/9/2011 7:49 AM, Matthew wrote:
> "John > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> "Joseph O'Brien"<obrien1984 hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> OK, maybe "fight" is too strong of a word. Very specifically,
>>> our older female cat beats up on the two male cats when it's
>>> close to feeding time. She chases them out of the kitchen, swats
>>> at their noses, and in general creates a stressful ruckus.
>>
>> I would immediately (if not sooner) clip her claws. I guess it's a
>> best kept secret, but clipping an aggressive cats claws is to me
>> the obvious solution to help keep it from damaging other animals.
>> That works for behavior modification without confrontation (except
>> a little agitation during the clipping). A nonconfrontational
>> deterrent is best for successful cat management.
>>

>>> This has led to an
>>> unhealthy response from the humans: when they fight, we feed them. I'm
>>> afraid that they may have "trained" us, as we definitely feed them too
>>> much -- the two male cats are overweight.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have recommendations for
>>> ending this behavior?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> Joseph
>>

> NEVER DECLAW A CAT and NEVER LISTEN TO JOHN DOE. He is a unstable
> individual and troll
>
> Get back on your meds john doe aka mark bender You will feel much better
>
> Take a look at Marks history
> https://www.google.com/search?q=john+doe+aka+mark+bender&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADSA_enUS456

try reading for comprehension. clipping is not declawing. i clip my
cat's nails to make them less sharp, and also use http://softpaws.com

Matthew[_3_]
November 9th 11, 03:02 PM
"chaniarts" > wrote in message
> On 11/9/2011 7:49 AM, Matthew wrote:
>> "John > wrote in message
>> eb.com...

>>> I would immediately (if not sooner) clip her claws. I guess it's a
>>> best kept secret, but clipping an aggressive cats claws is to me
>>> the obvious solution to help keep it from damaging other animals.
>>> That works for behavior modification without confrontation (except
>>> a little agitation during the clipping). A nonconfrontational
>>> deterrent is best for successful cat management.

>> NEVER DECLAW A CAT and NEVER LISTEN TO JOHN DOE. He is a unstable
>> individual and troll
>>
>> Get back on your meds john doe aka mark bender You will feel much
>> better
>>
>> Take a look at Marks history
>> https://www.google.com/search?q=john+doe+aka+mark+bender&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADSA_enUS456
>>

> try reading for comprehension. clipping is not declawing. i clip my cat's
> nails to make them less sharp, and also use http://softpaws.com

You also don't know John Doe aka Mark bender that well

John Doe
November 9th 11, 06:11 PM
"Matthew" <iamacatslaveand proudtoserve.com> wrote:

> "chaniarts" <chaniarts nospam.yahoo.com> wrote
>> Matthew wrote:
>>> "John Doe"<jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote

>>> NEVER DECLAW A CAT and NEVER LISTEN TO JOHN DOE. He is a
>>> unstable individual and troll
>>>
>>> Get back on your meds john doe aka mark bender You will feel
>>> much better

>> try reading for comprehension. clipping is not declawing. i
>> clip my cat's nails to make them less sharp, and also use
>> http://softpaws.com

> You also don't know John Doe aka Mark bender that well

The obese freak Matted obviously does not know me, considering the
fact that here in this group I have always enthusiastically
opposed declawing cats.

Matted is just jealous because he is too lazy to get off of his
obese ass and build something like my cat's Skyway. My cats hang
out above it all whenever they feel like it, with several lofts at
different places in their Skyway that runs all over the place 6
feet above the floor.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3190773594/in/photostream
--

> From: "Matthew" <iamacatslaveand proudtoserve.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Subject: Re: cats fight at feeding time
> Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 10:02:55 -0500

Matthew[_3_]
November 9th 11, 07:48 PM
"John Doe" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> "Matthew" <iamacatslaveand proudtoserve.com> wrote:

>>> try reading for comprehension. clipping is not declawing. i
>>> clip my cat's nails to make them less sharp, and also use
>>> http://softpaws.com
>
>> You also don't know John Doe aka Mark bender that well
>
> The obese freak Matted obviously does not know me, considering the
> fact that here in this group I have always enthusiastically
> opposed declawing cats.
>
> Matted is just jealous because he is too lazy to get off of his
> obese ass and build something like my cat's Skyway. My cats hang
> out above it all whenever they feel like it, with several lofts at
> different places in their Skyway that runs all over the place 6
> feet above the floor.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3190773594/in/photostream
> --

Now I will apologize about the declawing comment

But For the rest you have no idea what I have in my house.

If you need to know I have built a enclosure to my house that the furballs
can enjoy the outdoors with out the danger of being outside. They have a
nice 14*16 room in the house designed for cats.

You must have a lot of time on your hands being stuck in the house avoiding
the neighbors thinking everyone is out to get you

Bill Graham
November 10th 11, 08:47 AM
chaniarts wrote:
> On 11/9/2011 7:49 AM, Matthew wrote:
>> "John > wrote in message
>> eb.com...

>>> I would immediately (if not sooner) clip her claws. I guess it's a
>>> best kept secret, but clipping an aggressive cats claws is to me
>>> the obvious solution to help keep it from damaging other animals.
>>> That works for behavior modification without confrontation (except
>>> a little agitation during the clipping). A nonconfrontational
>>> deterrent is best for successful cat management.

>> NEVER DECLAW A CAT and NEVER LISTEN TO JOHN DOE. He is a unstable
>> individual and troll
>>
>> Get back on your meds john doe aka mark bender You will feel much
>> better Take a look at Marks history
>> https://www.google.com/search?q=john+doe+aka+mark+bender&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADSA_enUS456
>>

> try reading for comprehension. clipping is not declawing. i clip my
> cat's nails to make them less sharp, and also use http://softpaws.com

When I go too long without clipping my cat's nails, they get them caught in
cloth, like bedspreads, and blankets and couches and the like. They have
come to like having their nails trimmed to prevent this.

DanielCasey25
December 19th 11, 11:56 AM
Cat Feeding in a large multiple cat household can easily turn into a mob or fight scene. I have two cats so I always separate them during feeding. I used to put one bowls on the table and the other one is on the floor. You can separate your cats when they eat.

Bill Graham
December 20th 11, 06:25 AM
DanielCasey25 wrote:
> Cat Feeding in a large multiple cat household can easily turn into a
> mob or fight scene. I have two cats so I always separate them during
> feeding. I used to put one bowls on the table and the other one is on
> the floor. You can separate your cats when they eat.

My five cats never fight over food., They each like different things, and I
try to accomodate them whenever possible. I don't feed them all at the same
time, but feed each one when he/she asks for something. And, they all have
dry food available to them all the time. (a never ending supply of it) I
also like to leave a bag of dry food unopened on the kitchen floor so they
can tear into it and, "steal" it themselves....They love to do this, and
cooperate in the effort.

mickrio
February 18th 12, 11:03 AM
OK, maybe "fight" is too strong of a word. Very specifically,
our older female cat beats up on the two male cats when it's
close to feeding time. She chases them out of the kitchen, swats
at their noses, and in general creates a stressful ruckus.
___
Pua (http://www.theattractionforums.com/) | pick up artist (http://www.theattractionforums.com/) | Dating Coach (http://www.theattractionforums.com/)