PDA

View Full Version : Kitten with mean streak


The Doctor
November 20th 11, 02:47 PM
Mean streak is just a way of saying wither the kitten
is feeling we are not giving it enough attention or
we might not be looking after its hygenic needs properly.

We have had this 'street' kitten since mid-September.
For the most part he has been a kitten with a good distemper.

This morning though he jumped on a ledge with some family
portraits and one glass section broke.

Further when he was in a bathroom and was told to move along,
he jumped up on a bed and sprayed the bed.

I checked the litter box and it did need cleaning but not too much cleaning.
I doubt the kitten wants to go out in < 0 degree weather on
both C and F scales.

Is there something I should chack?

The vet says the kitten is about 6 months old.

--
Member - Liberal International This is Ici
God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising!
https://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k
Merry Christmas 2011 and Happy New Year 2012 !

Gandalf[_4_]
November 21st 11, 05:30 AM
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 14:47:48 +0000 (UTC), (The
Doctor) wrote:

>Mean streak is just a way of saying wither the kitten
>is feeling we are not giving it enough attention or
>we might not be looking after its hygenic needs properly.
>
>We have had this 'street' kitten since mid-September.
>For the most part he has been a kitten with a good distemper.
>
>This morning though he jumped on a ledge with some family
>portraits and one glass section broke.
>
>Further when he was in a bathroom and was told to move along,
>he jumped up on a bed and sprayed the bed.
>
>I checked the litter box and it did need cleaning but not too much cleaning.
>I doubt the kitten wants to go out in < 0 degree weather on
> both C and F scales.
>
>Is there something I should chack?
>
>The vet says the kitten is about 6 months old.

If it's a male, you should have already had him neutered.

If you haven't, get it done ASAP.

An un neutered male cat/kitten will tend to be much more aggressive than
a neutered cat.

The Doctor
November 21st 11, 03:03 PM
In article >,
Gandalf <[email protected], )yahoodot.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 14:47:48 +0000 (UTC), (The
>Doctor) wrote:
>
>>Mean streak is just a way of saying wither the kitten
>>is feeling we are not giving it enough attention or
>>we might not be looking after its hygenic needs properly.
>>
>>We have had this 'street' kitten since mid-September.
>>For the most part he has been a kitten with a good distemper.
>>
>>This morning though he jumped on a ledge with some family
>>portraits and one glass section broke.
>>
>>Further when he was in a bathroom and was told to move along,
>>he jumped up on a bed and sprayed the bed.
>>
>>I checked the litter box and it did need cleaning but not too much cleaning.
>>I doubt the kitten wants to go out in < 0 degree weather on
>> both C and F scales.
>>
>>Is there something I should chack?
>>
>>The vet says the kitten is about 6 months old.
>
>If it's a male, you should have already had him neutered.
>
>If you haven't, get it done ASAP.
>
>An un neutered male cat/kitten will tend to be much more aggressive than
>a neutered cat.

Even if I do not see the testicles ?
--
Member - Liberal International This is Ici
God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising!
https://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k
Merry Christmas 2011 and Happy New Year 2012 !

Gandalf[_4_]
November 22nd 11, 08:42 AM
On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 15:03:21 +0000 (UTC), (The
Doctor) wrote:

>In article >,
>Gandalf <[email protected], )yahoodot.com> wrote:
>>On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 14:47:48 +0000 (UTC), (The
>>Doctor) wrote:
>>
>>>Mean streak is just a way of saying wither the kitten
>>>is feeling we are not giving it enough attention or
>>>we might not be looking after its hygenic needs properly.
>>>
>>>We have had this 'street' kitten since mid-September.
>>>For the most part he has been a kitten with a good distemper.
>>>
>>>This morning though he jumped on a ledge with some family
>>>portraits and one glass section broke.
>>>
>>>Further when he was in a bathroom and was told to move along,
>>>he jumped up on a bed and sprayed the bed.
>>>
>>>I checked the litter box and it did need cleaning but not too much cleaning.
>>>I doubt the kitten wants to go out in < 0 degree weather on
>>> both C and F scales.
>>>
>>>Is there something I should chack?
>>>
>>>The vet says the kitten is about 6 months old.
>>
>>If it's a male, you should have already had him neutered.
>>
>>If you haven't, get it done ASAP.
>>
>>An un neutered male cat/kitten will tend to be much more aggressive than
>>a neutered cat.
>
>Even if I do not see the testicles ?

Has this kitten EVER been to a vet?

I mean: if he HAS, you wouldn't be GUESSING about whether he's been
neutered or not.

Take him to the vet, and find out.

The Doctor
November 22nd 11, 03:40 PM
In article >,
Gandalf <[email protected], )yahoodot.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 15:03:21 +0000 (UTC), (The
>Doctor) wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>>Gandalf <[email protected], )yahoodot.com> wrote:
>>>On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 14:47:48 +0000 (UTC), (The
>>>Doctor) wrote:
>>>
>>>>Mean streak is just a way of saying wither the kitten
>>>>is feeling we are not giving it enough attention or
>>>>we might not be looking after its hygenic needs properly.
>>>>
>>>>We have had this 'street' kitten since mid-September.
>>>>For the most part he has been a kitten with a good distemper.
>>>>
>>>>This morning though he jumped on a ledge with some family
>>>>portraits and one glass section broke.
>>>>
>>>>Further when he was in a bathroom and was told to move along,
>>>>he jumped up on a bed and sprayed the bed.
>>>>
>>>>I checked the litter box and it did need cleaning but not too much cleaning.
>>>>I doubt the kitten wants to go out in < 0 degree weather on
>>>> both C and F scales.
>>>>
>>>>Is there something I should chack?
>>>>
>>>>The vet says the kitten is about 6 months old.
>>>
>>>If it's a male, you should have already had him neutered.
>>>
>>>If you haven't, get it done ASAP.
>>>
>>>An un neutered male cat/kitten will tend to be much more aggressive than
>>>a neutered cat.
>>
>>Even if I do not see the testicles ?
>
>Has this kitten EVER been to a vet?
>
>I mean: if he HAS, you wouldn't be GUESSING about whether he's been
>neutered or not.
>
>Take him to the vet, and find out.

Good question.

He has been to the vet for shots for indoor and outdoor cat.

Interesting, the local vet will not neuter unless he is 6 months old.

This cat is about 6 months.

OTOH the local SPCA neuters cats a birth.

What gives?
--
Member - Liberal International This is Ici
God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising!
https://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k
Merry Christmas 2011 and Happy New Year 2012 !

Kelly Greene[_4_]
November 23rd 11, 03:19 AM
"The Doctor" > wrote in message
...
>
> Interesting, the local vet will not neuter unless he is 6 months old.
>
> This cat is about 6 months.
>
> OTOH the local SPCA neuters cats a birth.
>

At birth? That doesn't sound right to me. 6 months is a bit old. Some
males smell bad by then, that typical gross tomcat smell. More progressive
vets are doing it as soon as the cat is over 2 lbs.

Gandalf[_4_]
November 23rd 11, 06:45 AM
On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 15:40:57 +0000 (UTC), (The
Doctor) wrote:

>In article >,
>Gandalf <[email protected], )yahoodot.com> wrote:
>>On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 15:03:21 +0000 (UTC), (The
>>Doctor) wrote:
>>
>>>In article >,
>>>Gandalf <[email protected], )yahoodot.com> wrote:
>>>>On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 14:47:48 +0000 (UTC), (The
>>>>Doctor) wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>Mean streak is just a way of saying wither the kitten
>>>>>is feeling we are not giving it enough attention or
>>>>>we might not be looking after its hygenic needs properly.
>>>>>
>>>>>We have had this 'street' kitten since mid-September.
>>>>>For the most part he has been a kitten with a good distemper.
>>>>>
>>>>>This morning though he jumped on a ledge with some family
>>>>>portraits and one glass section broke.
>>>>>
>>>>>Further when he was in a bathroom and was told to move along,
>>>>>he jumped up on a bed and sprayed the bed.
>>>>>
>>>>>I checked the litter box and it did need cleaning but not too much cleaning.
>>>>>I doubt the kitten wants to go out in < 0 degree weather on
>>>>> both C and F scales.
>>>>>
>>>>>Is there something I should chack?
>>>>>
>>>>>The vet says the kitten is about 6 months old.
>>>>
>>>>If it's a male, you should have already had him neutered.
>>>>
>>>>If you haven't, get it done ASAP.
>>>>
>>>>An un neutered male cat/kitten will tend to be much more aggressive than
>>>>a neutered cat.
>>>
>>>Even if I do not see the testicles ?
>>
>>Has this kitten EVER been to a vet?
>>
>>I mean: if he HAS, you wouldn't be GUESSING about whether he's been
>>neutered or not.
>>
>>Take him to the vet, and find out.
>
>Good question.
>
>He has been to the vet for shots for indoor and outdoor cat.
>
>Interesting, the local vet will not neuter unless he is 6 months old.
>
>This cat is about 6 months.
>
>OTOH the local SPCA neuters cats a birth.
>
>What gives?

Neutering very young cats is a relatively recent development.

Many vets simply don't know how to do it, and/or don't want to assume
the slightly higher risk to the kittens.

Vets who do it frequently are very comfortable doing a spay on a 8 week
kitten, which is much, MUCH more involved that neutering an eight week
old male kitten!

I'm very much in favor of it, since it means more kittens NEVER father
or have a litter.

Neutering a 4 or 5 month old kitten is very nearly as easy, and safe, as
a 6 month old cat.

In general, female cats mature earlier than male cats....but 6 months is
getting somewhat ...late, even for a male.

If something comes up, and people put it off for a little while, they
have a mature, spraying, sexually mature tom cat on their hands, and
that can be VERY miserable to deal with.

Since this behavior is recent, I would get the kitten neutered ASAP.

The odds are that the behavior will improve with neutering, but you will
still need to closely monitor the cat, and actively intervene when he
exhibits this behavior.

Good luck with your kitten.

Rene[_2_]
November 29th 11, 07:09 PM
ITA with Gandalf in saying to neuter this cat ASAP. His hormones are
developing and spraying is a natural part of that.

Do you only have one litter box? Some cats prefer two, one for urine
and another for stool (ours do).

Also, make sure to play with him often. Kittens have a lot of energy
to expend, and can get into trouble if they aren't mentally
stimulated.

Rene