PDA

View Full Version : Hi! Question about Bengals..

Brian Link[_2_]
February 9th 12, 04:46 AM
Well, I'm back on Usenet after several years. Sad to see it's mostly
been usurped by the web. Still some discussions going on in my old
groups, though.

We've got a 9-year old Bengal that developed inappropriate urination
problems a few years ago, and he's also pretty neurotic. We've figured
out how to manage, though. He's a loving and otherwise pretty happy
cat.

I support a local wild cat rescue organization, the "Wildcat
Sanctuary" in Sandstone, Minnesota, which takes on abandoned big cats
as well as hybrids. They have a huge wing devoted to Bengals, and have
finally had to stop accepting surrendered Bengals due to the great
number.

A while back I received an update that they need to constantly replace
the wiring in their Bengal housing, because pretty much all of them
pee wherever they want.

Is this a problem with the breed, or just poor management by breeders?

We learned our lesson with Louis. We thought that by buying a breed
with the qualities we were looking for (playfulness, intelligence) we
could find a good friend for our now 16-year old Moggie Tiger. That
part has worked out great, but from now on we're only adopting from
shelters.

Thanks for any comments.

BLink

chaniarts[_2_]
February 9th 12, 07:58 PM
On 2/8/2012 8:46 PM, Brian Link wrote:
> Well, I'm back on Usenet after several years. Sad to see it's mostly
> been usurped by the web. Still some discussions going on in my old
> groups, though.
>
> We've got a 9-year old Bengal that developed inappropriate urination
> problems a few years ago, and he's also pretty neurotic. We've figured
> out how to manage, though. He's a loving and otherwise pretty happy
> cat.
>
> I support a local wild cat rescue organization, the "Wildcat
> Sanctuary" in Sandstone, Minnesota, which takes on abandoned big cats
> as well as hybrids. They have a huge wing devoted to Bengals, and have
> finally had to stop accepting surrendered Bengals due to the great
> number.
>
> A while back I received an update that they need to constantly replace
> the wiring in their Bengal housing, because pretty much all of them
> pee wherever they want.
>
> Is this a problem with the breed, or just poor management by breeders?
>
> We learned our lesson with Louis. We thought that by buying a breed
> with the qualities we were looking for (playfulness, intelligence) we
> could find a good friend for our now 16-year old Moggie Tiger. That
> part has worked out great, but from now on we're only adopting from
> shelters.
>
> Thanks for any comments.
>
> BLink

i have a 4 y.o. female bengal who ruled the roost (the other 6 cats who
were here previous to her) from the day she moved in. it's probably
about dominance.

dgk
February 9th 12, 09:50 PM
On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 21:46:45 -0600, Brian Link .>
wrote:

>Well, I'm back on Usenet after several years. Sad to see it's mostly
>been usurped by the web. Still some discussions going on in my old
>groups, though.
>
>We've got a 9-year old Bengal that developed inappropriate urination
>problems a few years ago, and he's also pretty neurotic. We've figured
>out how to manage, though. He's a loving and otherwise pretty happy
>cat.
>
>I support a local wild cat rescue organization, the "Wildcat
>Sanctuary" in Sandstone, Minnesota, which takes on abandoned big cats
>as well as hybrids. They have a huge wing devoted to Bengals, and have
>finally had to stop accepting surrendered Bengals due to the great
>number.
>
>A while back I received an update that they need to constantly replace
>the wiring in their Bengal housing, because pretty much all of them
>pee wherever they want.
>
>Is this a problem with the breed, or just poor management by breeders?
>
>We learned our lesson with Louis. We thought that by buying a breed
>with the qualities we were looking for (playfulness, intelligence) we
>could find a good friend for our now 16-year old Moggie Tiger. That
>part has worked out great, but from now on we're only adopting from
>shelters.
>
>Thanks for any comments.
>
>BLink

Welcome back. Can't help on the Bengals though since I never had one.
Hard to believe that the entire breed ****es off their slaves; no one
would want one.

Kelly Greene[_4_]
February 17th 12, 03:07 PM
"Brian Link" .> wrote in message

> I support a local wild cat rescue organization, the "Wildcat
> Sanctuary" in Sandstone, Minnesota, which takes on abandoned big cats
> as well as hybrids. They have a huge wing devoted to Bengals, and have
> finally had to stop accepting surrendered Bengals due to the great
> number.

Are they all being given up due to litterbox issues?

mickrio
February 18th 12, 12:03 PM
We've got a 9-year old Bengal that developed inappropriate urination
problems a few years ago, and he's also pretty neurotic. We've figured
out how to manage, though. He's a loving and otherwise pretty happy
cat.
___________
Pua (http://www.theattractionforums.com/) | pick up artist (http://www.theattractionforums.com/) | Dating Coach (http://www.theattractionforums.com/)

Brian Link[_2_]
February 29th 12, 02:52 AM
On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 08:07:33 -0600, "Kelly Greene"
> wrote:

>"Brian Link" .> wrote in message
>>
>> I support a local wild cat rescue organization, the "Wildcat
>> Sanctuary" in Sandstone, Minnesota, which takes on abandoned big cats
>> as well as hybrids. They have a huge wing devoted to Bengals, and have
>> finally had to stop accepting surrendered Bengals due to the great
>> number.
>
>Are they all being given up due to litterbox issues?

From what I've read, yes. Louis has confined himself to a small
portion of wall outside the front door, and we can handle that. The
time we spend cleaning up after him is far outweighed by what an
awesome little kitty he is.

BLink

Kelly Greene[_4_]
March 12th 12, 05:44 AM
"Brian Link" .> wrote in message

> On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 08:07:33 -0600, "Kelly Greene"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Brian Link" .> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I support a local wild cat rescue organization, the "Wildcat
>>> Sanctuary" in Sandstone, Minnesota, which takes on abandoned big cats
>>> as well as hybrids. They have a huge wing devoted to Bengals, and have
>>> finally had to stop accepting surrendered Bengals due to the great
>>> number.
>>
>>Are they all being given up due to litterbox issues?
>
> From what I've read, yes. Louis has confined himself to a small
> portion of wall outside the front door, and we can handle that. The
> time we spend cleaning up after him is far outweighed by what an
> awesome little kitty he is.
>
> BLink

What a shame, yet the breeders keep right on breeding and selling them.
Greed? The only Bengal I knew of was owned by a friend of mine in FL. He
was a retired detective and paid $1,500 for her as a 3 month old kitten.
She was beautiful but they were bitterly disappointed in that she had no
interest in people at all and totally ignored the entire family. No
litterbox issues but they felt like they didn't even have a cat in the
house. He passed away a few years ago so I don't know what happened with
the cat.

They had always had loving lap cats from the shelters and thought the Bengal
would be the same... they were wrong. :(

Bill Graham
March 13th 12, 01:58 AM
Kelly Greene wrote:
> "Brian Link" .> wrote in message
>>
>> On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 08:07:33 -0600, "Kelly Greene"
>> > wrote:

>>> Are they all being given up due to litterbox issues?
>>
>> From what I've read, yes. Louis has confined himself to a small
>> portion of wall outside the front door, and we can handle that. The
>> time we spend cleaning up after him is far outweighed by what an
>> awesome little kitty he is.
>>
>> BLink
>
> What a shame, yet the breeders keep right on breeding and selling
> them. Greed? The only Bengal I knew of was owned by a friend of mine
> in FL. He was a retired detective and paid $1,500 for her as a 3
> month old kitten. She was beautiful but they were bitterly
> disappointed in that she had no interest in people at all and totally
> ignored the entire family. No litterbox issues but they felt like
> they didn't even have a cat in the house. He passed away a few years
> ago so I don't know what happened with the cat.
>
> They had always had loving lap cats from the shelters and thought the
> Bengal would be the same... they were wrong. :(

It strikes me that keeping a santuary for Bengals would be rather expensive.
Those guys eat like 20 pounds of raw meat a day...