PDA

View Full Version : Female cat seems weird?

February 28th 12, 06:26 PM
Hello cat lovers,

I brought my female cat into the house several weeks ago as she was
swollen a bunch. It looked like she was going to have kittens at any
time. Several weeks have passed and she has no kittens that I can
find. She still seems slightly swollen however. Now my two Tomcats are
chasing her all over the place, doing that neck biting thing.
Apparently she is in heat again. I'm positive when she was in heat a
couple of months ago, the Toms tagged her.

So is it possible for them to have an internal abortion? Or go in heat
again while they are still with kitty cat?
What is the normal time frame from conception to birthing for female
cats?

TIA

--

"Save 15% to 85% on PET and PEOPLE Prescription drugs bills with our FREE Rx Drug card.

http://bit.ly/wUAgbW http://www.caprxprogram.org/cbj

Save hundreds of dollars a year on Diabetic Supplies
http://bit.ly/zTjbVL http://capdiabeticprogram.com/1119 "

Bill Graham
February 28th 12, 08:10 PM
wrote:
> Hello cat lovers,
>
> I brought my female cat into the house several weeks ago as she was
> swollen a bunch. It looked like she was going to have kittens at any
> time. Several weeks have passed and she has no kittens that I can
> find. She still seems slightly swollen however. Now my two Tomcats are
> chasing her all over the place, doing that neck biting thing.
> Apparently she is in heat again. I'm positive when she was in heat a
> couple of months ago, the Toms tagged her.
>
> So is it possible for them to have an internal abortion? Or go in heat
> again while they are still with kitty cat?
> What is the normal time frame from conception to birthing for female
> cats?
>
> TIA

Our roving vet will come to the house and neuter a cat for about $100. This
is a cheap porice to pay for elliminating the hasstle of a houseful of
unwanted kittens. This world if full of starving, unwanted cats. Why do you
want to contribute to that situation?

Brian Link[_2_]
February 29th 12, 01:08 AM
On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 12:26:10 -0600, wrote:

>Hello cat lovers,
>
>I brought my female cat into the house several weeks ago as she was
>swollen a bunch. It looked like she was going to have kittens at any
>time. Several weeks have passed and she has no kittens that I can
>find. She still seems slightly swollen however. Now my two Tomcats are
>chasing her all over the place, doing that neck biting thing.
>Apparently she is in heat again. I'm positive when she was in heat a
>couple of months ago, the Toms tagged her.
>
>So is it possible for them to have an internal abortion? Or go in heat
>again while they are still with kitty cat?
>What is the normal time frame from conception to birthing for female
>cats?
>
>TIA
>

>--
>
>"Save 15% to 85% on PET and PEOPLE Prescription drugs bills with our FREE Rx Drug card.
>
>http://bit.ly/wUAgbW http://www.caprxprogram.org/cbj
>
>Save hundreds of dollars a year on Diabetic Supplies
>http://bit.ly/zTjbVL http://capdiabeticprogram.com/1119 "

Well, my first Google search gave most of the answers: domestic cats
carry pregnancies through about 9 weeks.

The article (linked below), also says that they'll show only in the
last couple weeks before delivery.

We brought an un-fixed female into the house back in the '90s. The
resident guys (all fixed) dove on top of her at any chance, and I
doubt it was because she was in heat. Hell, Louis the Bengal,
castrated at a very young age (it's apparently the fashion with
breeders) still humps my arm. Took a couple months before we had the
money to get her spayed.

I'd definitely recommend a vet visit. So many other things far more
horrible than pregnancy that could cause a cat to bloat up as you
describe. How's her litter-box usage? Does she strain? Doesn't sound,
from your description, like a pregnant kitty.

http://www.best-cat-tips.com/cat_pregnancy.htm

BLink

Rene[_2_]
February 29th 12, 02:26 PM
Please take her to the vet. There may be something else going on
that's far more serious.

Rene

MaryL[_2_]
February 29th 12, 02:32 PM
wrote in message ...

Hello cat lovers,

I brought my female cat into the house several weeks ago as she was
swollen a bunch. It looked like she was going to have kittens at any
time. Several weeks have passed and she has no kittens that I can
find. She still seems slightly swollen however. Now my two Tomcats are
chasing her all over the place, doing that neck biting thing.
Apparently she is in heat again. I'm positive when she was in heat a
couple of months ago, the Toms tagged her.

So is it possible for them to have an internal abortion? Or go in heat
again while they are still with kitty cat?
What is the normal time frame from conception to birthing for female
cats?

TIA

--
<<<<<>>>>>

She needs to be seen by a vet ASAP. It is impossible to diagnose something
like this on a newsgroup.

MaryL

February 29th 12, 06:23 PM
On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 19:08:46 -0600, Brian Link .>
wrote:

>On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 12:26:10 -0600, wrote:
>
>>Hello cat lovers,
>>
>>I brought my female cat into the house several weeks ago as she was
>>swollen a bunch. It looked like she was going to have kittens at any
>>time. Several weeks have passed and she has no kittens that I can
>>find. She still seems slightly swollen however. Now my two Tomcats are
>>chasing her all over the place, doing that neck biting thing.
>>Apparently she is in heat again. I'm positive when she was in heat a
>>couple of months ago, the Toms tagged her.
>>
>>So is it possible for them to have an internal abortion? Or go in heat
>>again while they are still with kitty cat?
>>What is the normal time frame from conception to birthing for female
>>cats?
>>
>>TIA
>>

>>--
>>
>>"Save 15% to 85% on PET and PEOPLE Prescription drugs bills with our FREE Rx Drug card.
>>
>>http://bit.ly/wUAgbW http://www.caprxprogram.org/cbj
>>
>>Save hundreds of dollars a year on Diabetic Supplies
>>http://bit.ly/zTjbVL http://capdiabeticprogram.com/1119 "
>
>Well, my first Google search gave most of the answers: domestic cats
>carry pregnancies through about 9 weeks.
>
>The article (linked below), also says that they'll show only in the
>last couple weeks before delivery.
>
>We brought an un-fixed female into the house back in the '90s. The
>resident guys (all fixed) dove on top of her at any chance, and I
>doubt it was because she was in heat. Hell, Louis the Bengal,
>castrated at a very young age (it's apparently the fashion with
>breeders) still humps my arm. Took a couple months before we had the
>money to get her spayed.
>
>I'd definitely recommend a vet visit. So many other things far more
>horrible than pregnancy that could cause a cat to bloat up as you
>describe. How's her litter-box usage? Does she strain? Doesn't sound,
>from your description, like a pregnant kitty.
>
>http://www.best-cat-tips.com/cat_pregnancy.htm
>
>BLink
Good points! Thanks. She had been living up the street a bloack or so
for a couple of years. I only had three Tom Cats left. I was happy
with that as I'm getting to the age where more than three cats is just
to much for me to handle. Then the Black Cat just showed back up last
fall, and I started feeding her again as I recognized her. Now I'm
back to the male cats groaning and moaning all day and night. When I
let her out they instantly pounce on her, and start doing their mating
thing.

Has anyone here been inquisitive enough about Humans to ever wonder
how men behaved about five thousand years or mor ago when there were
no police force, or any other group that regulated Human behavior. Is
it possible that males behaved in the same way towards females who
strayed to far from their encampments? Or were men always supposed to
have the females permission before having intercourse with her?

Just one of those things that makeyou go hummm.

--

"Save 15% to 85% on PET and PEOPLE Prescription drugs bills with our FREE Rx Drug card.

http://bit.ly/wUAgbW http://www.caprxprogram.org/cbj

Save hundreds of dollars a year on Diabetic Supplies
http://bit.ly/zTjbVL http://capdiabeticprogram.com/1119 "

February 29th 12, 06:27 PM
On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 08:32:00 -0600, "MaryL"
> wrote:

>wrote in message ...
>
>Hello cat lovers,
>
>I brought my female cat into the house several weeks ago as she was
>swollen a bunch. It looked like she was going to have kittens at any
>time. Several weeks have passed and she has no kittens that I can
>find. She still seems slightly swollen however. Now my two Tomcats are
>chasing her all over the place, doing that neck biting thing.
>Apparently she is in heat again. I'm positive when she was in heat a
>couple of months ago, the Toms tagged her.
>
>So is it possible for them to have an internal abortion? Or go in heat
>again while they are still with kitty cat?
>What is the normal time frame from conception to birthing for female
>cats?
>
>TIA
OK so all of you seem to agree that she is not pregnant. I'll give her
some worm medicine today then. She seems fine and is very quick in her
movements around the house. I'll give her the worm medicine and some
Frontline flea stuff even though she isn't scratching more than
normal. LEt me go back and read the article about Cat tips and see
what it has to say.
Thank you for your assistance.

--

"Save 15% to 85% on PET and PEOPLE Prescription drugs bills with our FREE Rx Drug card.

http://bit.ly/wUAgbW http://www.caprxprogram.org/cbj

Save hundreds of dollars a year on Diabetic Supplies
http://bit.ly/zTjbVL http://capdiabeticprogram.com/1119 "

MaryL[_2_]
February 29th 12, 07:08 PM
wrote in message ...

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 08:32:00 -0600, "MaryL"
> wrote:

>wrote in message ...
>
>Hello cat lovers,
>
>I brought my female cat into the house several weeks ago as she was
>swollen a bunch. It looked like she was going to have kittens at any
>time. Several weeks have passed and she has no kittens that I can
>find. She still seems slightly swollen however. Now my two Tomcats are
>chasing her all over the place, doing that neck biting thing.
>Apparently she is in heat again. I'm positive when she was in heat a
>couple of months ago, the Toms tagged her.
>
>So is it possible for them to have an internal abortion? Or go in heat
>again while they are still with kitty cat?
>What is the normal time frame from conception to birthing for female
>cats?
>
>TIA
OK so all of you seem to agree that she is not pregnant. I'll give her
some worm medicine today then. She seems fine and is very quick in her
movements around the house. I'll give her the worm medicine and some
Frontline flea stuff even though she isn't scratching more than
normal. LEt me go back and read the article about Cat tips and see
what it has to say.
Thank you for your assistance.

--

<<<<<>>>>>

I did not say anything about whether she is (or is not) pregnant. I said
that a diagnosis cannot be made from a newsgroup. I would also not assume
she has worms until she has a fecal analysis. Even if she does have worms
(which would not be unusual), you need to know *what type* of worms.
Incidentally, over-the-counter worm preparations can be dangerous. Please
take her to a vet for a basic exam. Take a fecal sample (as "fresh" as
possible) in a baggie for analysis to determine if she has worms or even
some other type of parasites.

Thanks you for taking care of her, but please go the one extra step and take
her to a veterinarian.

MaryL

MaryL[_2_]
February 29th 12, 07:10 PM

wrote:

>On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 12:26:10 -0600, wrote:

Good points! Thanks. She had been living up the street a bloack or so
for a couple of years. I only had three Tom Cats left. I was happy
with that as I'm getting to the age where more than three cats is just
to much for me to handle. Then the Black Cat just showed back up last
fall, and I started feeding her again as I recognized her. Now I'm
back to the male cats groaning and moaning all day and night. When I
let her out they instantly pounce on her, and start doing their mating
thing.
--

<<<<<>>>>>

Has she been spayed? If not, that could explain the behavior of your male
cats. And this is one more reason to have her examined by a vet.

MaryL

Rene[_2_]
February 29th 12, 09:03 PM

> OK so all of you seem to agree that she is not pregnant. I'll give her
> some worm medicine today then. She seems fine and is very quick in her
> movements around the house. I'll give her the worm medicine and some
> Frontline flea stuff even though she isn't scratching more than
> normal. LEt me go back and read the article about Cat tips and see
> what it has to say.
> Thank you for your assistance.
>
> --
>
> <<<<<>>>>>
>
> I did not say anything about whether she is (or is not) pregnant. *I said
> that a diagnosis cannot be made from a newsgroup. *I would also not assume
> she has worms until she has a fecal analysis. *Even if she does have worms
> (which would not be unusual), you need to know *what type* of worms.
> Incidentally, over-the-counter worm preparations can be dangerous. *Please
> take her to a vet for a basic exam. *Take a fecal sample (as "fresh" as
> possible) in a baggie for analysis to determine if she has worms or even
> some other type of parasites.
>
> Thanks you for taking care of her, but please go the one extra step and take
> her to a veterinarian.
>
> MaryL

ITA with Mary here--I also did not say she wasn't pregnant. We can't
determine that based on some text.

Also, don't treat her at all until she's seen a vet. Worm medicine is
rather hard on the body (it has to kill the worms but not the cat).
When you bring her in to the vet, like Mary suggested, take a fresh
stool sample in with her.

Rene

(PeteCresswell)
February 29th 12, 09:12 PM
Per :
>when there were
>no police force, or any other group that regulated Human behavior. Is
>it possible that males behaved in the same way towards females who
>strayed to far from their encampments? Or were men always supposed to
>have the females permission before having intercourse with her?

I think most people's worst suspicions are a matter of everyday
fact even today if you go to the right part of the world.
--
Pete Cresswell

chaniarts[_2_]
March 1st 12, 03:54 PM
On 2/29/2012 2:03 PM, Rene wrote:

>> OK so all of you seem to agree that she is not pregnant. I'll give her
>> some worm medicine today then. She seems fine and is very quick in her
>> movements around the house. I'll give her the worm medicine and some
>> Frontline flea stuff even though she isn't scratching more than
>> normal. LEt me go back and read the article about Cat tips and see
>> what it has to say.
>> Thank you for your assistance.
>>
>> --
>>
>> <<<<<>>>>>
>>
>> I did not say anything about whether she is (or is not) pregnant. I said
>> that a diagnosis cannot be made from a newsgroup. I would also not assume
>> she has worms until she has a fecal analysis. Even if she does have worms
>> (which would not be unusual), you need to know *what type* of worms.
>> Incidentally, over-the-counter worm preparations can be dangerous. Please
>> take her to a vet for a basic exam. Take a fecal sample (as "fresh" as
>> possible) in a baggie for analysis to determine if she has worms or even
>> some other type of parasites.
>>
>> Thanks you for taking care of her, but please go the one extra step and take
>> her to a veterinarian.
>>
>> MaryL
>
> ITA with Mary here--I also did not say she wasn't pregnant. We can't
> determine that based on some text.
>
> Also, don't treat her at all until she's seen a vet. Worm medicine is
> rather hard on the body (it has to kill the worms but not the cat).
> When you bring her in to the vet, like Mary suggested, take a fresh
> stool sample in with her.
>
> Rene

it could also be nothing.

we were fosters for a young-ish female cat. she came to us and looked
very swollen. her shape, when viewed from above and behind, was almost
triangular. she had a full set of xrays, tests, needle biopsy for and of
internal fluids, etc, and absolutely nothing was wrong. it wasn't fat
either, as she had the same correct feel of all her internal organs.
ribs, and hip region.

that was 3 years ago. she still has a lot of this shape, but it has gone
down just a little bit. she's just 'oddly' shaped.

you do need to get it checked out by a vet, without treating her for
anything without a diagnosis.

Kelly Greene[_4_]
March 5th 12, 08:39 AM
> wrote in message
> Hello cat lovers,
>
> I brought my female cat into the house several weeks ago as she was
> swollen a bunch. It looked like she was going to have kittens at any
> time. Several weeks have passed and she has no kittens that I can
> find. She still seems slightly swollen however. Now my two Tomcats are
> chasing her all over the place, doing that neck biting thing.

Why aren't your tomcats neutered? Why haven't you had the female cat
spayed? Do you realize how hard it is to find homes for kittens? That
almost 5,000,000 cats and dogs are euthanized in shelters every year?

> Apparently she is in heat again. I'm positive when she was in heat a
> couple of months ago, the Toms tagged her.

How long have you had her? A couple of weeks or a couple of months?

> So is it possible for them to have an internal abortion? Or go in heat
> again while they are still with kitty cat?
> What is the normal time frame from conception to birthing for female
> cats?

About 9 weeks so get her in there and get her spayed!!!!!!!!!!!

Spam removed.

Kelly Greene[_4_]
March 5th 12, 08:43 AM
> wrote in message
> OK so all of you seem to agree that she is not pregnant. I'll give her
> some worm medicine today then.

Don't worm her unless you know what kind of worms she's infested with. Only
the vet can tell you with certainty what parasites she has.

She seems fine and is very quick in her
> movements around the house. I'll give her the worm medicine and some
> Frontline flea stuff even though she isn't scratching more than
> normal. LEt me go back and read the article about Cat tips and see
> what it has to say.
> Thank you for your assistance.

I get the feeling you don't plan to have her spayed.

Matthew[_3_]
March 5th 12, 03:24 PM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> Hello cat lovers,
>>
>> I brought my female cat into the house several weeks ago as she was
>> swollen a bunch. It looked like she was going to have kittens at any
>> time. Several weeks have passed and she has no kittens that I can
>> find. She still seems slightly swollen however. Now my two Tomcats are
>> chasing her all over the place, doing that neck biting thing.
>
> Why aren't your tomcats neutered? Why haven't you had the female cat
> spayed? Do you realize how hard it is to find homes for kittens? That
> almost 5,000,000 cats and dogs are euthanized in shelters every year?
>
>> Apparently she is in heat again. I'm positive when she was in heat a
>> couple of months ago, the Toms tagged her.
>
> How long have you had her? A couple of weeks or a couple of months?
>

>> So is it possible for them to have an internal abortion? Or go in heat
>> again while they are still with kitty cat?
>> What is the normal time frame from conception to birthing for female
>> cats?
>
> About 9 weeks so get her in there and get her spayed!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Spam removed.

You all realize this guy is probably a troll ;-)

MaryL[_2_]
March 5th 12, 03:48 PM
"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...

You all realize this guy is probably a troll ;-)

<<<<<>>>>>

That was my first suspicion, but I decided to treat the message as if it is
real because I would rather give a troll some laughs than take a chance that
a cat is in real need of some veterinary care.

MaryL

Matthew[_3_]
March 5th 12, 04:00 PM
"MaryL" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Matthew" wrote in message
> ng.com...
>

> You all realize this guy is probably a troll ;-)
>
> <<<<<>>>>>
>
> That was my first suspicion, but I decided to treat the message as if it
> is real because I would rather give a troll some laughs than take a chance
> that a cat is in real need of some veterinary care.
>
> MaryL

I always do myself till I saw the responses ;-)

Bill Graham
March 7th 12, 01:03 AM
MaryL wrote:
> "Matthew" wrote in message
> ng.com...
>

> You all realize this guy is probably a troll ;-)

> That was my first suspicion, but I decided to treat the message as if
> it is real because I would rather give a troll some laughs than take
> a chance that a cat is in real need of some veterinary care.
>
> MaryL

Yes. I don't know what, "Troll" means. There are only two kinds of posters.
Logical and illogical. - I always assume the poster is logical, and give
them a logical answer. If, at some later time, they prove themselves to be
illogical, then I no longer bother with them. I have frequently been called
a, "troll" by those who disagree with me.