PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations for UV light

Bastette
May 7th 12, 01:52 AM
Hi,

Maybe someone here can help me. I need a UV light that shows cat pee
in the dark. Something high-quality that will actually work. I've had
disappointing results in the past with supposed "urine finders" that
don't show anything.

I was researching this online and found a site that seems to be
impartial (dedicated to helping people deal with their pet issues
rather than trying to sell a product). They recommended the GE
F15T8-BLB fluorescent UV bulb. Has anyone here used this bulb, and
did you find it useful? If you haven't used the GE bulb, can you
recommend a reliable brand?

(The site that recommended the GE bulb was:
http://www.sprayalert.com/finding-cat-spray.html )

I've already bought a big honking bottle of Nature's Miracle and have
dumped a bunch of it (twice) on the place where the pee was. However,
days later, it still smells of pee - now mixed with the smell of
Nature's Miracle.

I'm not sure what that indicates:

* I didn't get all the pee areas? (That's what the UV light would
help with.)

* The pee soaked through the carpet and into the wood floor? (From
what I've heard, that would be a disaster.)

* Nature's Miracle isn't so miraculous? I couldn't have bought a more
appropriate kind, as this one is meant specifically for feline urine.
Are there other products as good as (or better than) Nature's Miracle
that might remove the odor?

Thanks!
Joyce

--
I will not sniff at my male human's feet after he takes his shoes
off, freeze my mouth open in disgust and then sniff my private parts

John Doe
May 7th 12, 02:22 AM
Bastette <bastXXXette sonic.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Maybe someone here can help me. I need a UV light that shows cat
> pee in the dark.

This is just for your information, or someone else having the same
problem but maybe for a different reason...

If you're having trouble getting your cat to urinate inside the
litter box, and it's not related to the cat being extremely old or
some other nonmedical factor...

I am a realist, I'm not a lovey-dovey type, but the litter box
area is sacred. The litter box area must be clean and hassle free.
Currently, I'm using a large Sterilite container for a litter box
(with my favorite litter). Underneath the box around the area is
Astroturf. Just as important as cleanliness is to avoid any
confrontation in the litter box area. Never interrupt the animal,
always keep clear of the area whenever (and shortly after) it
might be using the box. That's science, for people who sincerely
want to cohabitate with cats. It helps prevent nasty problems.
Litter box problems can be the worst (as you know).

Again, I suspect you know all that and that you are trying to cope
with a different problem, but it might help others.

Good luck and have fun.

--

> Thanks!
> Joyce

chaniarts[_2_]
May 7th 12, 04:25 PM
On 5/6/2012 5:52 PM, Bastette wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe someone here can help me. I need a UV light that shows cat pee
> in the dark. Something high-quality that will actually work. I've had
> disappointing results in the past with supposed "urine finders" that
> don't show anything.
>
> I was researching this online and found a site that seems to be
> impartial (dedicated to helping people deal with their pet issues
> rather than trying to sell a product). They recommended the GE
> F15T8-BLB fluorescent UV bulb. Has anyone here used this bulb, and
> did you find it useful? If you haven't used the GE bulb, can you
> recommend a reliable brand?
>
> (The site that recommended the GE bulb was:
> http://www.sprayalert.com/finding-cat-spray.html )
>
> I've already bought a big honking bottle of Nature's Miracle and have
> dumped a bunch of it (twice) on the place where the pee was. However,
> days later, it still smells of pee - now mixed with the smell of
> Nature's Miracle.
>
> I'm not sure what that indicates:
>
> * I didn't get all the pee areas? (That's what the UV light would
> help with.)
>
> * The pee soaked through the carpet and into the wood floor? (From
> what I've heard, that would be a disaster.)
>
> * Nature's Miracle isn't so miraculous? I couldn't have bought a more
> appropriate kind, as this one is meant specifically for feline urine.
> Are there other products as good as (or better than) Nature's Miracle
> that might remove the odor?
>
> Thanks!
> Joyce

i have good luck with cheap uv flashlights i get by the handful on ebay.
it has to be pretty dark as they don't give off a lot of light, but
urine shows up pretty well.

i think you have to keep nature's miracle damp a bit, for the bacteria
to stay active and keep working. i've found, however, that the sprays
with peroxide work just as well as long as it hasn't soaked in very deep.

here's instructions for making your own:
<http://www.superpages.com/supertips/pet-stain-removal-tips.html>
although there are commercial sprays available in the supermarket.

Bill Graham
May 9th 12, 05:20 AM
Bastette wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe someone here can help me. I need a UV light that shows cat pee
> in the dark. Something high-quality that will actually work. I've had
> disappointing results in the past with supposed "urine finders" that
> don't show anything.
>
> I was researching this online and found a site that seems to be
> impartial (dedicated to helping people deal with their pet issues
> rather than trying to sell a product). They recommended the GE
> F15T8-BLB fluorescent UV bulb. Has anyone here used this bulb, and
> did you find it useful? If you haven't used the GE bulb, can you
> recommend a reliable brand?
>
> (The site that recommended the GE bulb was:
> http://www.sprayalert.com/finding-cat-spray.html )
>
> I've already bought a big honking bottle of Nature's Miracle and have
> dumped a bunch of it (twice) on the place where the pee was. However,
> days later, it still smells of pee - now mixed with the smell of
> Nature's Miracle.
>
> I'm not sure what that indicates:
>
> * I didn't get all the pee areas? (That's what the UV light would
> help with.)
>
> * The pee soaked through the carpet and into the wood floor? (From
> what I've heard, that would be a disaster.)
>
> * Nature's Miracle isn't so miraculous? I couldn't have bought a more
> appropriate kind, as this one is meant specifically for feline urine.
> Are there other products as good as (or better than) Nature's Miracle
> that might remove the odor?
>
> Thanks!
> Joyce

I think you need what they call a, "black UV light". This is because you
need one that doesn't emit a significant amount of visable light, which
would make it hard to see the dim florescence that the cat urine generates.
I found this on wikipedia:

Ultraviolet radiation is invisible to the human eye, but illuminating
certain materials with UV radiation causes the emission of visible light,
causing these substances to glow with various colors. This is called
fluorescence, and has many practical uses. Black lights are required to
observe fluorescence, since other types of ultraviolet lamps emit visible
light which drowns out the dim fluorescent glow.

chaniarts[_2_]
May 9th 12, 03:32 PM
On 5/8/2012 9:20 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
> Bastette wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Maybe someone here can help me. I need a UV light that shows cat pee
>> in the dark. Something high-quality that will actually work. I've had
>> disappointing results in the past with supposed "urine finders" that
>> don't show anything.
>>
>> I was researching this online and found a site that seems to be
>> impartial (dedicated to helping people deal with their pet issues
>> rather than trying to sell a product). They recommended the GE
>> F15T8-BLB fluorescent UV bulb. Has anyone here used this bulb, and
>> did you find it useful? If you haven't used the GE bulb, can you
>> recommend a reliable brand?
>>
>> (The site that recommended the GE bulb was:
>> http://www.sprayalert.com/finding-cat-spray.html )
>>
>> I've already bought a big honking bottle of Nature's Miracle and have
>> dumped a bunch of it (twice) on the place where the pee was. However,
>> days later, it still smells of pee - now mixed with the smell of
>> Nature's Miracle.
>>
>> I'm not sure what that indicates:
>>
>> * I didn't get all the pee areas? (That's what the UV light would
>> help with.)
>>
>> * The pee soaked through the carpet and into the wood floor? (From
>> what I've heard, that would be a disaster.)
>>
>> * Nature's Miracle isn't so miraculous? I couldn't have bought a more
>> appropriate kind, as this one is meant specifically for feline urine.
>> Are there other products as good as (or better than) Nature's Miracle
>> that might remove the odor?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Joyce
>
> I think you need what they call a, "black UV light". This is because you
> need one that doesn't emit a significant amount of visable light, which
> would make it hard to see the dim florescence that the cat urine
> generates. I found this on wikipedia:
>
> Ultraviolet radiation is invisible to the human eye, but illuminating
> certain materials with UV radiation causes the emission of visible
> light, causing these substances to glow with various colors. This is
> called fluorescence, and has many practical uses. Black lights are
> required to observe fluorescence, since other types of ultraviolet lamps
> emit visible light which drowns out the dim fluorescent glow.

all uv lights are called black lights.

i bought a bunch of these, and they work well.

<http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-LED-Lamp-Wonderful-UV-Flashlight-Torch-Laser-Pointer-Red-3-Model-/170838562820?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item27c6c59804>

Bill Graham
May 12th 12, 01:47 AM
chaniarts wrote:
> all uv lights are called black lights.
>
> i bought a bunch of these, and they work well.
>
> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-LED-Lamp-Wonderful-UV-Flashlight-Torch-Laser-Pointer-Red-3-Model-/170838562820?

pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item27c6c59804>

Only by those unjable to discriminate.... The real, "black lights" are those
that put out so little visable light that you can easily see the urine glow
in the dark. The others are too hard to use.

Markcoleman
December 21st 12, 10:30 AM

did you find it useful? If you haven't used the led lighting (http://www.niceledlights.com), can you
[...]

Have you got such lights? Even I am looking for them .