PDA

View Full Version : Veterinary cat food recalled - thiamine deficient

buglady[_2_]
May 12th 12, 01:08 PM
http://www.marke****ch.com/story/nestle-purina-voluntarily-recalls-single-lot-of-therapeutic-canned-cat-food-due-to-a-low-level-of-thiamine-vitamin-b1-2012-05-11

Product Name Can "Best By" Date &
Can UPC
Size Production Code*
Code
Purina Veterinary DietsŪ OM 5.5 oz. JUN 2013
11721159 38100 - 13810
(Overweight Management) Feline Formula

buglady
take out the dog before replying

John Doe
May 13th 12, 05:42 AM
buglady <buglady99 bigfoot.com> wrote:

> Purina Veterinary Diets (Overweight Management) Feline Formula

Thanks for the heads up. I guess that's the stuff that was next to
the Purina Pro Plan at PetSmart.

My adopted strays get high quality dry cat food, put into zipper
sandwich bags, stored in the refrigerator, and then soaked in
water before the small bag is used for feeding. Currently that's
Purina Pro Plan. This last time I bought the long hair formula. I
figure the only difference is maybe it has more fiber to help with
furballs. But I guess they are all pretty much the same (given the
same category).

That method works well here. The bag of high quality dry food is
separated into zipper bags that are stored in the refrigerator.
When ready to be used, I grab a bag and pour half of that into a
new bag. Put the other half back into the fridge. Add warm/hot
water to the new bag that is half-full of food. Swish, burp, and
zip closed. After soaking, if the food doesn't have enough water,
at any time more water can be added and mixed. Later, the half bag
still in the refrigerator is used in the same way. And repeat for
all of the other bags full of food.

The last food had salmon as its main ingredient. Stirring in a
small amount of premium albacore tuna (regular leftovers from one
of my favorite meals) helped. This one says tuna is the main
ingredient. I'm sure it's not premium albacore, but hopefully they
will like it better than the salmon.

> buglady take out the dog before replying

Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds
May 13th 12, 07:44 AM
In article >, John Doe >
wrote:

> buglady <buglady99 bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> > Purina Veterinary Diets (Overweight Management) Feline Formula
>
> Thanks for the heads up. I guess that's the stuff that was next to
> the Purina Pro Plan at PetSmart.
>
> My adopted strays get high quality dry cat food, put into zipper
> sandwich bags, stored in the refrigerator, and then soaked in
> water before the small bag is used for feeding. Currently that's
> Purina Pro Plan. This last time I bought the long hair formula. I
> figure the only difference is maybe it has more fiber to help with
> furballs. But I guess they are all pretty much the same (given the
> same category).
>
> That method works well here. The bag of high quality dry food is
> separated into zipper bags that are stored in the refrigerator.
> When ready to be used, I grab a bag and pour half of that into a
> new bag. Put the other half back into the fridge. Add warm/hot
> water to the new bag that is half-full of food. Swish, burp, and
> zip closed. After soaking, if the food doesn't have enough water,
> at any time more water can be added and mixed. Later, the half bag
> still in the refrigerator is used in the same way. And repeat for
> all of the other bags full of food.
>
> The last food had salmon as its main ingredient. Stirring in a
> small amount of premium albacore tuna (regular leftovers from one
> of my favorite meals) helped. This one says tuna is the main
> ingredient. I'm sure it's not premium albacore, but hopefully they
> will like it better than the salmon.

why do you store the dry food in the refrigerator?

John Doe
May 13th 12, 08:12 AM
"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-bugged invalid.invalid> wrote:

> John Doe > wrote:
>> buglady <buglady99 bigfoot.com> wrote:

>> > Purina Veterinary Diets (Overweight Management) Feline
>> > Formula
>>
>> Thanks for the heads up. I guess that's the stuff that was next
>> to the Purina Pro Plan at PetSmart.
>>
>> My adopted strays get high quality dry cat food, put into
>> zipper sandwich bags, stored in the refrigerator, and then
>> soaked in water before the small bag is used for feeding.
>> Currently that's Purina Pro Plan. This last time I bought the
>> long hair formula. I figure the only difference is maybe it has
>> more fiber to help with furballs. But I guess they are all
>> pretty much the same (given the same category).
>>
>> That method works well here. The bag of high quality dry food
>> is separated into zipper bags that are stored in the
>> refrigerator. When ready to be used, I grab a bag and pour half
>> of that into a new bag. Put the other half back into the
>> fridge. Add warm/hot water to the new bag that is half-full of
>> food. Swish, burp, and zip closed. After soaking, if the food
>> doesn't have enough water, at any time more water can be added
>> and mixed. Later, the half bag still in the refrigerator is
>> used in the same way. And repeat for all of the other bags full
>> of food.
>>
>> The last food had salmon as its main ingredient. Stirring in a
>> small amount of premium albacore tuna (regular leftovers from
>> one of my favorite meals) helped. This one says tuna is the
>> main ingredient. I'm sure it's not premium albacore, but
>> hopefully they will like it better than the salmon.
>>

> why do you store the dry food in the refrigerator?

Because I want it to remain as fresh as possible. Considering the
fact that Science Diet (and maybe all others, I don't know) bags
are nowhere near airtight, I guess that is overdoing it. But
that's the way I like it. After it's wet, it probably should be
stored in the refrigerator.

Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds
May 13th 12, 08:24 AM
In article >, John Doe >
wrote:

> > why do you store the dry food in the refrigerator?
>
> Because I want it to remain as fresh as possible. Considering the
> fact that Science Diet (and maybe all others, I don't know) bags
> are nowhere near airtight, I guess that is overdoing it. But
> that's the way I like it. After it's wet, it probably should be
> stored in the refrigerator.

When buying new bags of dry food I immediately transfer it to airtight
container(s), but I think refrigerating it is a waste of time and money