PDA

View Full Version : Liquid That Repels Cats?

(PeteCresswell)
June 18th 12, 02:43 AM
Daughter and husband live in a city house where both stray and
neighbor's cats keep them up until all hours of the night yowling
in their courtyard.

Somebody, somewhere, suggested that cats find vinegar tb
repellant and will avoid any thing/place that smells of it.

Since then, a couple of people have claimed to have tried vinegar
without success.

Can anybody suggest something?

It has tb totally harmless - both to animals and plants. i.e. no
bleach.

"Liquid" because, in the end, loading it into a super-soaker
would promise some emotional satisfaction to the afflicted...
--
Pete Cresswell

dgk
June 18th 12, 01:48 PM
On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 21:43:13 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" >
wrote:

>Daughter and husband live in a city house where both stray and
>neighbor's cats keep them up until all hours of the night yowling
>in their courtyard.
>
>Somebody, somewhere, suggested that cats find vinegar tb
>repellant and will avoid any thing/place that smells of it.
>
>Since then, a couple of people have claimed to have tried vinegar
>without success.
>
>Can anybody suggest something?
>
>It has tb totally harmless - both to animals and plants. i.e. no
>bleach.
>
>"Liquid" because, in the end, loading it into a super-soaker
>would promise some emotional satisfaction to the afflicted...

They yowl because of sex and related territorial issues. Get them TNRd
and they won't yowl anymore. Plus, you won't have more cats being
born.

I've read here about coyote urine being a good repellant. It is sold
online for that purpose.

Rene[_2_]
June 18th 12, 02:01 PM
Like dgk said, these cats are obviously not spayed/neutered, hence the
all-night yowling. Trapping these cats in a live trap and getting them
altered would sure help (and prevent more kittens).

You can buy a motion-actived device that sprays water. One brand is
called the Scarecrow. There is another device that emits a sound only
cats can hear (motion activated) called the Cat Stop. We have this one
in our basement (to keep the cats off my husband's model-train layout)
and it does work.

I use a homemade critter repellant, but I am not sure if it works for
cats (it does seem to work for dogs). The recipe is:

one bag of blood meal
one bag of bone meal
1 small container crush cloves
1 large container garlic powder (not garlic salt)
1 large container chili powder

Mix together and sprinkle around areas you want to keep animals away
from. It does have the added benefit of adding nutrients to the soil.
Replenish every two months or after a hard rain.

good luck.

MaryL[_2_]
June 18th 12, 04:09 PM
"Rene" wrote in message

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I once dug blood meal into the soil as a fertilizer (not as a repellant). I
soon had dogs digging all through that area!! Of course, I did not mix it
with the other ingredients you listed, but I have not used it since that
time.

MaryL

Rene[_2_]
June 18th 12, 05:02 PM
> I once dug blood meal into the soil as a fertilizer (not as a repellant). *I
> soon had dogs digging all through that area!! *Of course, I did not mix it
> with the other ingredients you listed, but I have not used it since that
> time.
>
> MaryL

Oh no! I have to say that the recipe I listed does smell pretty
stinky. Our neighbors next door have a dog, and I've watched him sniff
areas I've applied this stuff to. He always walks away after smelling.