PDA

View Full Version : Cats don't require grass as part of their diet?

FragSinatra
June 19th 12, 08:52 PM
I've noticed that practically all the cats I know have eaten grass at some
point in their life. Some of them make it a daily habit. I don't like to
let Mage out because of fleas and ticks but when I do he's grazing the
grass. It doesn't seem like they throw up after eating it either.

Matthew[_3_]
June 19th 12, 09:25 PM
"FragSinatra" > wrote in message
. ..
> I've noticed that practically all the cats I know have eaten grass at some
> point in their life. Some of them make it a daily habit. I don't like to
> let Mage out because of fleas and ticks but when I do he's grazing the
> grass. It doesn't seem like they throw up after eating it either.
>
> --- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to
> ---

http://www.petmd.com/cat/wellness/evr_ct_eating_grass
http://animal.discovery.com/healthy-pets/cat-health-101/why-do-cats-eat-grass.html
http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/why-do-cats-eat-grass/

Mine love the cat grass I grow for them.

John Doe
June 19th 12, 10:02 PM
If cats benefited from grass in their diet, cheap cat food would
include it. And it would be a well used marketing point.

dgk
June 20th 12, 03:18 PM
On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 21:02:51 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
> wrote:

>If cats benefited from grass in their diet, cheap cat food would
>include it. And it would be a well used marketing point.

I let my cats into my little fenced-in backyard, and the first thing
they do is start nibbling the grass. Sometimes it comes back up but
not always. I make sure not to use any kind of poison in the yard, and
ususally not even fertilizer. I do stick some sort of tomato
fertilizer sticks near each tomato plant, but since that goes directly
into the ground I figure there is no threat to the cats.

Cats don't seem to like eating tomatos though.

FragSinatra
June 20th 12, 03:33 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in news:4fe0e04a$0$25455
:

> http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/why-do-cats-eat-grass/

Thanks, that was interesting reading.

I've tried to make cat salads from grass, but for some reason there's
no feline interest in my cat salads -- even if freshly cut, rinsed, washed
and dried in a collander. Maybe I should put salad dressing on it? But
what kind? Vinagrette? Ranch?

chaniarts[_2_]
June 20th 12, 04:36 PM
On 6/20/2012 7:18 AM, dgk wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 21:02:51 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
> > wrote:
>
>> If cats benefited from grass in their diet, cheap cat food would
>> include it. And it would be a well used marketing point.
>
> I let my cats into my little fenced-in backyard, and the first thing
> they do is start nibbling the grass. Sometimes it comes back up but
> not always. I make sure not to use any kind of poison in the yard, and
> ususally not even fertilizer. I do stick some sort of tomato
> fertilizer sticks near each tomato plant, but since that goes directly
> into the ground I figure there is no threat to the cats.
>
> Cats don't seem to like eating tomatos though.

tomatoes are toxic to cats, although i once had a cat that loved
spaghetti with a bit of sauce on it.

John Doe
June 20th 12, 04:48 PM
dgk <dgk somewhere.com> wrote:

> John Doe <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote:
>
>> If cats benefited from grass in their diet, cheap cat food
>> would include it. And it would be a well used marketing point.
>
> I let my cats into my little fenced-in backyard, and the first
> thing they do is start nibbling the grass. Sometimes it comes
> back up but not always.

Some dogs eat cat poop. Some cats drink antifreeze that leaks
out of a car.

> I make sure not to use any kind of poison in the yard, and
> ususally not even fertilizer. I do stick some sort of tomato
> fertilizer sticks near each tomato plant, but since that goes
> directly into the ground I figure there is no threat to the
> cats.
>
> Cats don't seem to like eating tomatos though.

Bill Graham
June 20th 12, 08:57 PM
dgk wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 21:02:51 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
> > wrote:
>
>> If cats benefited from grass in their diet, cheap cat food would
>> include it. And it would be a well used marketing point.
>
> I let my cats into my little fenced-in backyard, and the first thing
> they do is start nibbling the grass. Sometimes it comes back up but
> not always. I make sure not to use any kind of poison in the yard, and
> ususally not even fertilizer. I do stick some sort of tomato
> fertilizer sticks near each tomato plant, but since that goes directly
> into the ground I figure there is no threat to the cats.
>
> Cats don't seem to like eating tomatos though.

Don't use, "Round Up" on your weeds. A neighbor of mine did, and it killed
my cat last year. (as well as a bunch of squirrels and racoons.)

Matthew[_3_]
June 22nd 12, 06:02 AM
"FragSinatra" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Matthew" > wrote in
> :
>
>> http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/why-do-cats-eat-grass/
>>

> Thanks, that was interesting reading.
>
> I've tried to make cat salads from grass, but for some reason there's
> no feline interest in my cat salads -- even if freshly cut, rinsed, washed
> and dried in a collander. Maybe I should put salad dressing on it? But
> what kind? Vinagrette? Ranch?

neither i belive they have garlic and onions in the mix

> --- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to
> ---

dgk
June 22nd 12, 01:21 PM
On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 12:57:33 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>dgk wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 21:02:51 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> If cats benefited from grass in their diet, cheap cat food would
>>> include it. And it would be a well used marketing point.
>>
>> I let my cats into my little fenced-in backyard, and the first thing
>> they do is start nibbling the grass. Sometimes it comes back up but
>> not always. I make sure not to use any kind of poison in the yard, and
>> ususally not even fertilizer. I do stick some sort of tomato
>> fertilizer sticks near each tomato plant, but since that goes directly
>> into the ground I figure there is no threat to the cats.
>>
>> Cats don't seem to like eating tomatos though.
>
>Don't use, "Round Up" on your weeds. A neighbor of mine did, and it killed
>my cat last year. (as well as a bunch of squirrels and racoons.)

Really, I thought it wasn't supposed to do that. But I certainly
wouldn't let my cats go where RoundUp had been applied in any case. It
does mean that I have a fair number of weeds though.

dgk
June 22nd 12, 01:24 PM
On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 01:02:51 -0400, "Matthew"
> wrote:

>"FragSinatra" > wrote in message
. ..
>> "Matthew" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/why-do-cats-eat-grass/
>>>

>> Thanks, that was interesting reading.
>>
>> I've tried to make cat salads from grass, but for some reason there's
>> no feline interest in my cat salads -- even if freshly cut, rinsed, washed
>> and dried in a collander. Maybe I should put salad dressing on it? But
>> what kind? Vinagrette? Ranch?
>
>neither i belive they have garlic and onions in the mix
>>
>> --- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to
>> ---

Catnip dressing. Now if I could only find a recipe.

Bill Graham
June 22nd 12, 10:45 PM
FragSinatra wrote:
> "Matthew" > wrote in
> news:4fe0e04a$0$25455 :
>
>> http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/why-do-cats-eat-grass/
>>

> Thanks, that was interesting reading.
>
> I've tried to make cat salads from grass, but for some reason there's
> no feline interest in my cat salads -- even if freshly cut, rinsed,
> washed
> and dried in a collander. Maybe I should put salad dressing on it? But
> what kind? Vinagrette? Ranch?

Try putting some shrimp meat in it. Ande avoid the vinigar... Catsw don't
like vinigar. Try a little mayonaisse. (throw in some grapefruit sections
and avacado, and I'll show up for dinner myself....:^)

Bill Graham
June 22nd 12, 10:55 PM
dgk wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 12:57:33 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
> wrote:
>
>> dgk wrote:
>>> On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 21:02:51 +0000 (UTC), John Doe

>>> I let my cats into my little fenced-in backyard, and the first thing
>>> they do is start nibbling the grass. Sometimes it comes back up but
>>> not always. I make sure not to use any kind of poison in the yard,
>>> and ususally not even fertilizer. I do stick some sort of tomato
>>> fertilizer sticks near each tomato plant, but since that goes
>>> directly into the ground I figure there is no threat to the cats.
>>>
>>> Cats don't seem to like eating tomatos though.
>>
>> Don't use, "Round Up" on your weeds. A neighbor of mine did, and it
>> killed my cat last year. (as well as a bunch of squirrels and
>> racoons.)
>
> Really, I thought it wasn't supposed to do that. But I certainly
> wouldn't let my cats go where RoundUp had been applied in any case. It
> does mean that I have a fair number of weeds though.

Well, I have an unusual situation. There is a spring at the back edge of my
property, and a small stream that runs along my neighbors property as well
as my own. Many small animals, as well as stray cats drink from this stream.
When my neighbor used Round Up on his weeds, the run off contaminated that
small stream (a drainage ditch about two feet wide) and killed off a bunch
of critters, as well as some cats, including my favorit. (B-K, whome I
picked up in a Burger King parking lot 6-1/2 years before.) I'll never
forget B-K. He was easily the neatest cat I have ever known. He would come
when I called him with a dog whistle. He befriended everyone on the block,
including their dogs... I could write a book about this cat. Any way, be
very careful how you use Round Up or anything like that around animals.

FragSinatra
June 23rd 12, 06:14 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in
:

> dgk wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 12:57:33 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
>> wrote:
>>

> Well, I have an unusual situation. There is a spring at the back edge
> of my property, and a small stream that runs along my neighbors
> property as well as my own. Many small animals, as well as stray cats
> drink from this stream. When my neighbor used Round Up on his weeds,
> the run off contaminated that small stream (a drainage ditch about two
> feet wide) and killed off a bunch of critters, as well as some cats,
> including my favorit. (B-K, whome I picked up in a Burger King parking
> lot 6-1/2 years before.) I'll never forget B-K. He was easily the
> neatest cat I have ever known. He would come when I called him with a
> dog whistle. He befriended everyone on the block, including their
> dogs... I could write a book about this cat. Any way, be very careful
> how you use Round Up or anything like that around animals.

My mom used to have a cat that would come would called. She would go out
in the backyard and yell his name Pawz and he would come. Once I watched
what happened and saw Pawz climb on the top of a roof, look at my mom,
meow, then climb back down. A few minutes later he hopped up on top of the
fence and came down to my mom. The neighbors didn't appreciate her
yelling Pawz name for the 5 minutes or so it took to get him to come home
for the night.

I'm sorry to hear about B-K, he sounds like a real feline character.

Bill Graham
June 25th 12, 01:48 AM
FragSinatra wrote:
> "Bill Graham" > wrote in
> :
>
>> dgk wrote:
>>> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 12:57:33 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
>>> wrote:
>>>

>> Well, I have an unusual situation. There is a spring at the back edge
>> of my property, and a small stream that runs along my neighbors
>> property as well as my own. Many small animals, as well as stray cats
>> drink from this stream. When my neighbor used Round Up on his weeds,
>> the run off contaminated that small stream (a drainage ditch about
>> two feet wide) and killed off a bunch of critters, as well as some
>> cats, including my favorit. (B-K, whome I picked up in a Burger King
>> parking lot 6-1/2 years before.) I'll never forget B-K. He was
>> easily the neatest cat I have ever known. He would come when I
>> called him with a dog whistle. He befriended everyone on the block,
>> including their dogs... I could write a book about this cat. Any
>> way, be very careful how you use Round Up or anything like that
>> around animals.
>>

> My mom used to have a cat that would come would called. She would go
> out
> in the backyard and yell his name Pawz and he would come. Once I
> watched
> what happened and saw Pawz climb on the top of a roof, look at my mom,
> meow, then climb back down. A few minutes later he hopped up on top
> of the
> fence and came down to my mom. The neighbors didn't appreciate her
> yelling Pawz name for the 5 minutes or so it took to get him to come
> home
> for the night.
>
> I'm sorry to hear about B-K, he sounds like a real feline character.
>
> --- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to
> ---

Yes. Thank you. He was the love of my life. He has beed cead over a year
now. this last year has been a lot duller for me because of B-K's demise. He
knew all the neighbors and their dogs. If they would leave a window cracked
more than about 4 inches, B-K would sneak into their houses at night and
they would wake up with him sleeping on their bedroom floor, or perhaps
showing up at their dinner tables. A month after he died, a strange dog from
down the block came into my house (I had the front door open) sniffed around
my whole house, and then went outside and lay down on B-K's favorite
sleeping spot, my front door mat. He put his head down between his front
paws for about ten minutes, and then left and went back home. B-K only lived
about 7-1/2 years, but he spent 6-1/2 of them with me, and he left an
impression on me that has changed my whole attitude on life. Someone said
once, "Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains
unawakened." B-K woke up my soul big time.......

FragSinatra
June 26th 12, 07:49 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in
:

> FragSinatra wrote:
>> "Bill Graham" > wrote in
>> :

>>> Well, I have an unusual situation. There is a spring at the back
>>> edge of my property, and a small stream that runs along my neighbors
>>> property as well as my own. Many small animals, as well as stray
>>> cats drink from this stream. When my neighbor used Round Up on his
>>> weeds, the run off contaminated that small stream (a drainage ditch
>>> about two feet wide) and killed off a bunch of critters, as well as
>>> some cats, including my favorit. (B-K, whome I picked up in a Burger
>>> King parking lot 6-1/2 years before.) I'll never forget B-K. He was
>>> easily the neatest cat I have ever known. He would come when I
>>> called him with a dog whistle. He befriended everyone on the block,
>>> including their dogs... I could write a book about this cat. Any
>>> way, be very careful how you use Round Up or anything like that
>>> around animals.
>>
>> My mom used to have a cat that would come would called. She would go
>> out
>> in the backyard and yell his name Pawz and he would come. Once I
>> watched
>> what happened and saw Pawz climb on the top of a roof, look at my
>> mom, meow, then climb back down. A few minutes later he hopped up on
>> top of the
>> fence and came down to my mom. The neighbors didn't appreciate her
>> yelling Pawz name for the 5 minutes or so it took to get him to come
>> home
>> for the night.
>>
>> I'm sorry to hear about B-K, he sounds like a real feline character.
>>
>> --- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to
>> ---
>
> Yes. Thank you. He was the love of my life. He has beed cead over a
> year now. this last year has been a lot duller for me because of B-K's
> demise. He knew all the neighbors and their dogs. If they would leave
> a window cracked more than about 4 inches, B-K would sneak into their
> houses at night and they would wake up with him sleeping on their
> bedroom floor, or perhaps showing up at their dinner tables. A month
> after he died, a strange dog from down the block came into my house (I
> had the front door open) sniffed around my whole house, and then went
> outside and lay down on B-K's favorite sleeping spot, my front door
> mat. He put his head down between his front paws for about ten
> minutes, and then left and went back home. B-K only lived about 7-1/2
> years, but he spent 6-1/2 of them with me, and he left an impression
> on me that has changed my whole attitude on life. Someone said once,
> "Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains
> unawakened." B-K woke up my soul big time.......

What a sad story, he was taken away in the prime of his life. B-K even
had canine admirers. Personally, I'd like to read more stories about B-
K, the sociable feline.

Bill Graham
June 26th 12, 08:11 AM
FragSinatra wrote:
> "Bill Graham" > wrote in
> :
>
>> FragSinatra wrote:
>>> "Bill Graham" > wrote in
>>> :

>>> My mom used to have a cat that would come would called. She would go
>>> out
>>> in the backyard and yell his name Pawz and he would come. Once I
>>> watched
>>> what happened and saw Pawz climb on the top of a roof, look at my
>>> mom, meow, then climb back down. A few minutes later he hopped up on
>>> top of the
>>> fence and came down to my mom. The neighbors didn't appreciate her
>>> yelling Pawz name for the 5 minutes or so it took to get him to come
>>> home
>>> for the night.
>>>
>>> I'm sorry to hear about B-K, he sounds like a real feline character.
>>>
>>> --- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to
>>> ---
>>
>> Yes. Thank you. He was the love of my life. He has beed cead over a
>> year now. this last year has been a lot duller for me because of
>> B-K's demise. He knew all the neighbors and their dogs. If they
>> would leave a window cracked more than about 4 inches, B-K would
>> sneak into their houses at night and they would wake up with him
>> sleeping on their bedroom floor, or perhaps showing up at their
>> dinner tables. A month after he died, a strange dog from down the
>> block came into my house (I had the front door open) sniffed around
>> my whole house, and then went outside and lay down on B-K's favorite
>> sleeping spot, my front door mat. He put his head down between his
>> front paws for about ten minutes, and then left and went back home.
>> B-K only lived about 7-1/2 years, but he spent 6-1/2 of them with
>> me, and he left an impression on me that has changed my whole
>> attitude on life. Someone said once, "Until one has loved an animal,
>> part of their soul remains unawakened." B-K woke up my soul big
>> time.......
>>

> What a sad story, he was taken away in the prime of his life. B-K even
> had canine admirers. Personally, I'd like to read more stories about
> B-
> K, the sociable feline.

If I knew more, I would write them, but B-K spent a lot of time away from my
house. He was very gregarious and had a lot of friends on the block. Also, I
had four other cats, so my wife and I didn't worry about B-K much. All of
our cats are outside cats with two cat doors that let them come and go as
they please anytime they want. Once I got B-K home from that Burger King
parking lot, he pretty well wasted no time learning his new territory and
meeting the neighbors. I was lucky if I saw him even once a day. He only
lived half a life in years, but he packed enough living into those years to
more than make up for it. I wish I knew all the places he went and all the
people and dogs he knew. If I did, I would write a book about him.