PDA

View Full Version : Trackers for cats?

Rhino[_3_]
June 26th 12, 04:41 PM
Is anyone of aware of any products that can be attached to a cat so that it
can be tracked if it doesn't come home on its own?

I'm thinking of various TV shows in which the cops track the bad guy via a
GPS chip in the bad guy's cell phone. Is there anything equivalent that I
could put on a cat collar? Or even something that could be put into the cat
the way an identifying microchip is done?

I'm guessing a gadget like this that is geared towards cats might be
expensive and that the tracking software and signal detection gear you'd
need to see the signal would be even more costly. Stilll, maybe some clever
engineer/business type with a love for pets has figured out an affordable
cat-tracking system....

Matthew[_3_]
June 26th 12, 04:50 PM
"Rhino" > wrote in message
> Is anyone of aware of any products that can be attached to a cat so that
> it can be tracked if it doesn't come home on its own?
>
> I'm thinking of various TV shows in which the cops track the bad guy via a
> GPS chip in the bad guy's cell phone. Is there anything equivalent that I
> could put on a cat collar? Or even something that could be put into the
> cat the way an identifying microchip is done?
>
> I'm guessing a gadget like this that is geared towards cats might be
> expensive and that the tracking software and signal detection gear you'd
> need to see the signal would be even more costly. Stilll, maybe some
> clever engineer/business type with a love for pets has figured out an
> affordable cat-tracking system....

there are plenty of them they even have an App for that
here are some examples
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=gps+cat+collar&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=19001636970&hvpos=1t3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8367479331324674226&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_7k4sd7i83k_b

Bill Graham
June 26th 12, 09:07 PM
Rhino wrote:
> Is anyone of aware of any products that can be attached to a cat so
> that it can be tracked if it doesn't come home on its own?
>
> I'm thinking of various TV shows in which the cops track the bad guy
> via a GPS chip in the bad guy's cell phone. Is there anything
> equivalent that I could put on a cat collar? Or even something that
> could be put into the cat the way an identifying microchip is done?
>
> I'm guessing a gadget like this that is geared towards cats might be
> expensive and that the tracking software and signal detection gear
> you'd need to see the signal would be even more costly. Stilll, maybe
> some clever engineer/business type with a love for pets has figured
> out an affordable cat-tracking system..It is only a question of time. As
> the miniturazation of electronce progresses, a device small and light
> enough to put on a cat collar will soon arrive on the market. If you can
> attach such a thing to a car today, you will be able to attach a smaller
> one to a cat tomorrow.

Bill Graham
June 26th 12, 09:19 PM
Matthew wrote:
> "Rhino" > wrote in message
>> Is anyone of aware of any products that can be attached to a cat so
>> that it can be tracked if it doesn't come home on its own?
>>
>> I'm thinking of various TV shows in which the cops track the bad guy
>> via a GPS chip in the bad guy's cell phone. Is there anything
>> equivalent that I could put on a cat collar? Or even something that
>> could be put into the cat the way an identifying microchip is done?
>>
>> I'm guessing a gadget like this that is geared towards cats might be
>> expensive and that the tracking software and signal detection gear
>> you'd need to see the signal would be even more costly. Stilll,
>> maybe some clever engineer/business type with a love for pets has
>> figured out an affordable cat-tracking system....
>
> there are plenty of them they even have an App for that
> here are some examples
> http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=gps+cat+collar&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=19001636970&hvpos=1t3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8367479331324674226&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_7k4sd7i83k_b

There you go... It seems the future is here already.....

Rhino[_3_]
June 26th 12, 10:57 PM
[snip everything else to get past a posting error about overly long lines]

> There you go... It seems the future is here already.....

I'm impressed. It seemed reasonable that someone COULD come up with
something like that but I thought I might be overoptimistic to imagine such
things in the real world, especially in an affordable price range like the
ones Matthew's search revealed.

It seemed like the kind of thing that only millionaires might be able to
afford. I'm glad to see I'm wrong about that!

My cats are strictly indoor cats but I'm tempted to get trackers for both of
them because they do occasionally hide, either here or at my mother's, and
it can be a real challenge to find, even though the houses in question are
not that big.....

--
Rhino

Matthew[_3_]
June 27th 12, 12:00 AM
"Rhino" > wrote in message

> [snip everything else to get past a posting error about overly long lines]
>>
>> There you go... It seems the future is here already.....
>
> I'm impressed. It seemed reasonable that someone COULD come up with
> something like that but I thought I might be overoptimistic to imagine
> such
> things in the real world, especially in an affordable price range like the
> ones Matthew's search revealed.
>
> It seemed like the kind of thing that only millionaires might be able to
> afford. I'm glad to see I'm wrong about that!
>
> My cats are strictly indoor cats but I'm tempted to get trackers for both
> of
> them because they do occasionally hide, either here or at my mother's, and
> it can be a real challenge to find, even though the houses in question are
> not that big.....
>
> --
> Rhino

You should see the one the have for dementia and Alzheimer's patients.
they can be a pendant or a watch they even have them that go in their shoes.
they can track with in 3 feet of the person

(PeteCresswell)
June 27th 12, 12:10 AM
Per Matthew:
>You should see the one the have for dementia and Alzheimer's patients.
>they can be a pendant or a watch they even have them that go in their shoes.
>they can track with in 3 feet of the person

It's starting to sound to me like good things are on the horizon
viz-a-viz catching thieves. Sort of a Low-Jack system for
something like a bicycle... or a toolbox.... or even a TV....
--
Pete Cresswell

Matthew[_3_]
June 27th 12, 02:42 AM
"(PeteCresswell)" > wrote in message
> Per Matthew:
>>You should see the one the have for dementia and Alzheimer's patients.
>>they can be a pendant or a watch they even have them that go in their
>>shoes.
>>they can track with in 3 feet of the person
>
> It's starting to sound to me like good things are on the horizon
> viz-a-viz catching thieves. Sort of a Low-Jack system for
> something like a bicycle... or a toolbox.... or even a TV....
> --
> Pete Cresswell

they have them already I have one on my laptop

it is the six of a small match box thin as a credit card cost me $4.95 a
month to be able to track it

Bill Graham
June 27th 12, 08:05 AM
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per Matthew:
>> You should see the one the have for dementia and Alzheimer's
>> patients.
>> they can be a pendant or a watch they even have them that go in
>> their shoes. they can track with in 3 feet of the person
>
> It's starting to sound to me like good things are on the horizon
> viz-a-viz catching thieves. Sort of a Low-Jack system for
> something like a bicycle... or a toolbox.... or even a TV....

Now there's a good idea. You could hide a GPS/transmitter device inside a
package of $100 bills, and give it to a bank robber. by the time they
started counting their money, the police would be knocking at their front
door.....

(PeteCresswell)
June 27th 12, 03:14 PM
Per Matthew:
>they have them already I have one on my laptop
>
>it is the six of a small match box thin as a credit card cost me $4.95 a
>month to be able to track it

GPS for the position and GSM for reporting?

Do you have a make/model or a link?
--
Pete Cresswell

Matthew[_3_]
June 27th 12, 03:48 PM
"(PeteCresswell)" > wrote in message
> Per Matthew:
>>they have them already I have one on my laptop
>>
>>it is the six of a small match box thin as a credit card cost me $4.95 a
>>month to be able to track it
>>

> GPS for the position and GSM for reporting?
>
> Do you have a make/model or a link?
> --
> Pete Cresswell

I bought mine years ago it was off of eBay. The service is through my local
cell provider here that does tracking for elderly adult patients in nursing
homes

this is the closet one I can find with out opening up my laptop
http://personaltrackerdirect.com/?g-gpstracker&gclid=CNWigIvU7rACFQSxnQodRD1sxw
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale/wholesale-laptop-gps-tracker.html

Matthew[_3_]
June 27th 12, 03:50 PM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message
> (PeteCresswell) wrote:
>> Per Matthew:
>>> You should see the one the have for dementia and Alzheimer's
>>> patients.
>>> they can be a pendant or a watch they even have them that go in
>>> their shoes. they can track with in 3 feet of the person
>>
>> It's starting to sound to me like good things are on the horizon
>> viz-a-viz catching thieves. Sort of a Low-Jack system for
>> something like a bicycle... or a toolbox.... or even a TV....
>
> Now there's a good idea. You could hide a GPS/transmitter device inside a
> package of $100 bills, and give it to a bank robber. by the time they
> started counting their money, the police would be knocking at their front
> door.....

LOL they already have dye packs and that in smaller dominations at banks
they have had them for years at least here in Florida. Some idiots robbed a
bank here they grabbed a bank bag stuffed the money in it found the dye
pack through it away the bag had a tracker in it

(PeteCresswell)
June 28th 12, 12:20 AM
Per Matthew:
> The service is through my local
>cell provider here that does tracking for elderly adult patients in nursing
>homes
>
>this is the closet one I can find with out opening up my laptop
>http://personaltrackerdirect.com/?g-gpstracker&gclid=CNWigIvU7rACFQSxnQodRD1sxw

Thanks!... Now that I know the term or art: "Personal GPS
Tracker", I can poke around some more.

Looks to me like they're practically a commodity.
--
Pete Cresswell

Bill Graham
June 28th 12, 12:56 AM
Matthew wrote:
> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>> (PeteCresswell) wrote:
>>> Per Matthew:
>>>
>>> It's starting to sound to me like good things are on the horizon
>>> viz-a-viz catching thieves. Sort of a Low-Jack system for
>>> something like a bicycle... or a toolbox.... or even a TV....
>>
>> Now there's a good idea. You could hide a GPS/transmitter device
>> inside a package of $100 bills, and give it to a bank robber. by the
>> time they started counting their money, the police would be knocking
>> at their front door.....
>
> LOL they already have dye packs and that in smaller dominations at
> banks they have had them for years at least here in Florida. Some
> idiots robbed a bank here they grabbed a bank bag stuffed the money
> in it found the dye pack through it away the bag had a tracker in
> it

Yes, but a GPS tracking device hidden in the money itself is a much better
idea, because it will allow the police to fololow the thieves to their lair.
They use dye bombs now, but other than ruining the money, they don't do much
good.....

dgk
July 2nd 12, 07:07 PM
On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 17:57:05 -0400, "Rhino"
> wrote:

>[snip everything else to get past a posting error about overly long lines]
>>
>> There you go... It seems the future is here already.....
>
>I'm impressed. It seemed reasonable that someone COULD come up with
>something like that but I thought I might be overoptimistic to imagine such
>things in the real world, especially in an affordable price range like the
>ones Matthew's search revealed.
>
>It seemed like the kind of thing that only millionaires might be able to
>afford. I'm glad to see I'm wrong about that!
>
>My cats are strictly indoor cats but I'm tempted to get trackers for both of
>them because they do occasionally hide, either here or at my mother's, and
>it can be a real challenge to find, even though the houses in question are
>not that big.....

I was away for a week and am just catching up, but I've been using the
Loc8tor for years on my four cats. Mine go into my fenced-in backyard
when I'm home and this time of year, with the back door kept open, I
need it just to figure out which cats are in and which are out. They
have to be in before I leave the house.

It's also great for finding them inside the house. The range is fairly
limited (maybe 200 feet outside) but that's plenty for a cat.

One of my four cats (Scooter) came from outside the house and he still
has "out" priviliges for the rare times that he wants to go out the
front door. I can always track where he is.

Once I was away and a friend was staying at my house on petsitting
duty and Scooter was out during a snowstorm. The Loc8tor kept pointing
to the middle of the street but Scooter came home later without the
collar, which has the tag on it. When I came home a few days later I
found the tag was up in a tree overhanging the street.

They do work and really aren't very expensive. Every year I end up
needing a new tag or two, and the rubber splash-guards break after 6
months or so, but all in all it is a great thing to have. You do need
to mount the tags on a breakaway collar of course.

dgk
July 2nd 12, 07:09 PM
On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 17:57:05 -0400, "Rhino"
> wrote:

>[snip everything else to get past a posting error about overly long lines]
>>
>> There you go... It seems the future is here already.....
>
>I'm impressed. It seemed reasonable that someone COULD come up with
>something like that but I thought I might be overoptimistic to imagine such
>things in the real world, especially in an affordable price range like the
>ones Matthew's search revealed.
>
>It seemed like the kind of thing that only millionaires might be able to
>afford. I'm glad to see I'm wrong about that!
>
>My cats are strictly indoor cats but I'm tempted to get trackers for both of
>them because they do occasionally hide, either here or at my mother's, and
>it can be a real challenge to find, even though the houses in question are
>not that big.....

Oh, one more thing. The Loc8tor device that I have has nothing to do
with GPS. They are strictly IR type devices. There are plenty of GPS
tracking things but those require a monthly fee. I recently got an
email from Loc8tor advertising something like that but mine are
simpler and have no monthly cost.

Dick Ballard[_2_]
July 9th 12, 02:17 AM
On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 14:09:32 -0400, dgk > wrote:

>Oh, one more thing. The Loc8tor device that I have has nothing to do
>with GPS. They are strictly IR type devices. There are plenty of GPS
>tracking things but those require a monthly fee. I recently got an
>email from Loc8tor advertising something like that but mine are
>simpler and have no monthly cost.

I've also been using the Loc8tor with our cats for several years. They
are actually RFID devices (Radio Frequency IDentification). The hand
held unit, which has a directional antenna, sends out an RF query, and
the collar tag (about the size of US quarter with two coin cells
inside) responds if it's code matches the query. The tag also blinks a
red LED and makes a high pitched sound which I assume the cat can hear
but I no longer can.

You can use multiple tags with the master unit, one for each animal.
You just select which one to look for from an on-screen menu.

I've been able to find our cats by walking down the street and
pointing the device in different directions until I get a signal. The
display shows the strength of the response and the audio pitch rises
as you get closer to the tag. The range is enough to cover our house
and yard and also the adjacent ones.

dgk
July 9th 12, 02:36 PM
On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 18:17:19 -0700, Dick Ballard
> wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 14:09:32 -0400, dgk > wrote:
>
>>Oh, one more thing. The Loc8tor device that I have has nothing to do
>>with GPS. They are strictly IR type devices. There are plenty of GPS
>>tracking things but those require a monthly fee. I recently got an
>>email from Loc8tor advertising something like that but mine are
>>simpler and have no monthly cost.
>
>I've also been using the Loc8tor with our cats for several years. They
>are actually RFID devices (Radio Frequency IDentification). The hand
>held unit, which has a directional antenna, sends out an RF query, and
>the collar tag (about the size of US quarter with two coin cells
>inside) responds if it's code matches the query. The tag also blinks a
>red LED and makes a high pitched sound which I assume the cat can hear
>but I no longer can.
>
>You can use multiple tags with the master unit, one for each animal.
>You just select which one to look for from an on-screen menu.
>
>I've been able to find our cats by walking down the street and
>pointing the device in different directions until I get a signal. The
>display shows the strength of the response and the audio pitch rises
>as you get closer to the tag. The range is enough to cover our house
>and yard and also the adjacent ones.

Ah yes, I meant RF. The mind is slowly going, along with the body.
Well, it's nice to keep things in sync. I just got a pair of new tags
since I was down to no spares. I really use it a lot right now since
the backyard is getting overgrown and there are just too many places
the cats can be.