PDA

View Full Version : Re: What is treat as opposed to food?

pyotr filipivich
July 6th 12, 05:44 PM
Newbie > on Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:07:18 GMT typed in
alt.pets.cats the following:
>Forgot one question (thanks for all answers so far). I come across
>suggestions that cats should be given "treat" once in a while. In human
>terms I can understand that salad is food, banana split a treat. What
>is a treat for cats, as opposed to food? How often?

Chicken Hearts - as a "bribe"
--
pyotr filipivich
Obi-wan once observed"The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."

Matthew[_3_]
July 6th 12, 05:57 PM
"pyotr filipivich" > wrote in message
> Newbie > on Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:07:18 GMT typed in
> alt.pets.cats the following:
>>Forgot one question (thanks for all answers so far). I come across
>>suggestions that cats should be given "treat" once in a while. In human
>>terms I can understand that salad is food, banana split a treat. What
>>is a treat for cats, as opposed to food? How often?
>
> Chicken Hearts - as a "bribe"
> --
> pyotr filipivich
> Obi-wan once observed"The Force can have a strong influence on the
> weak-minded."
> Who knew Dubya was a Jedi Knight?

really a 7 year old post Little late aren't you

(PeteCresswell)
July 6th 12, 10:43 PM
>>Forgot one question (thanks for all answers so far). I come across
>>suggestions that cats should be given "treat" once in a while. In human
>>terms I can understand that salad is food, banana split a treat. What
>>is a treat for cats, as opposed to food? How often?

I translate "Treat" as "Junk Food For Cats" - i.e. food that is
specifically engineered to satisfy or even enhance certain
built-in cravings without regard to nutrition or health.

We use something called "Purina Whisker Lickin's Crunch Lovers"
and our cat just *loves* the stuff. It's little hard chunks in a
plastic container.

We started using it as a bribe to lure it down to the rec room
where it gets locked in for the night - so it gets a half-dozen
or so chunks every day.

It's been at least three years now and the Cat's healthy as ever
- probably healthier than when we got it - and hasn't gained
weight.

A side benefit: if we lose track of where it is or if it's
outside and we need for it to come inside; just shake the
container. If it's within earshot, it comes running.

--
Pete Cresswell

pyotr filipivich
July 7th 12, 01:07 AM
"(PeteCresswell)" > on Fri, 06 Jul 2012 17:43:10 -0400
typed in alt.pets.cats the following:
>>>Forgot one question (thanks for all answers so far). I come across
>>>suggestions that cats should be given "treat" once in a while. In human
>>>terms I can understand that salad is food, banana split a treat. What
>>>is a treat for cats, as opposed to food? How often?
>
>I translate "Treat" as "Junk Food For Cats" - i.e. food that is
>specifically engineered to satisfy or even enhance certain
>built-in cravings without regard to nutrition or health.

If you buy "junk food" as treats, then it is.

I tend to toss him a chicken heart now and then. All meat, no
grain products, and it gives him a little exercise. And I can get him
to "come here" with one.

>We use something called "Purina Whisker Lickin's Crunch Lovers"
>and our cat just *loves* the stuff. It's little hard chunks in a
>plastic container.
>
>We started using it as a bribe to lure it down to the rec room
>where it gets locked in for the night - so it gets a half-dozen
>or so chunks every day.
>
>It's been at least three years now and the Cat's healthy as ever
>- probably healthier than when we got it - and hasn't gained
>weight.
>
>A side benefit: if we lose track of where it is or if it's
>outside and we need for it to come inside; just shake the
>container. If it's within earshot, it comes running.

Better than a can opener?
--
pyotr filipivich
Obi-wan once observed"The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."
Who knew Dubya was a Jedi Knight?

FragSinatra
July 7th 12, 09:08 AM
pyotr filipivich > wrote in
:

> Newbie > on Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:07:18 GMT typed in
> alt.pets.cats the following:
>>Forgot one question (thanks for all answers so far). I come across
>>suggestions that cats should be given "treat" once in a while. In
>>human terms I can understand that salad is food, banana split a treat.
>>What is a treat for cats, as opposed to food? How often?
>
> Chicken Hearts - as a "bribe"
> --
> pyotr filipivich
> Obi-wan once observed"The Force can have a strong influence on the
> weak-minded." Who knew Dubya was a Jedi Knight?

What about catnip as no calorie treat?

pyotr filipivich
July 7th 12, 05:44 PM
FragSinatra > on Sat, 7 Jul 2012 08:08:33 +0000 (UTC)
:

>> Newbie > on Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:07:18 GMT typed in
>> alt.pets.cats the following:
>>>Forgot one question (thanks for all answers so far). I come across
>>>suggestions that cats should be given "treat" once in a while. In
>>>human terms I can understand that salad is food, banana split a treat.
>>>What is a treat for cats, as opposed to food? How often?
>>
>> Chicken Hearts - as a "bribe"
>> --
>> pyotr filipivich
>> Obi-wan once observed"The Force can have a strong influence on the
>> weak-minded." Who knew Dubya was a Jedi Knight?
>
>What about catnip as no calorie treat?

Buttons is a connoisseur. Ignore the cheap stuff, will find the
"good stuff" if I don't keep it in a sealed jar.
--
pyotr filipivich
Obi-wan once observed"The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."
Who knew Dubya was a Jedi Knight?

Spider[_4_]
July 8th 12, 12:18 PM
On 07/07/2012 17:44, pyotr filipivich wrote:
> > on Sat, 7 Jul 2012 08:08:33 +0000 (UTC)
> typed in alt.pets.cats the following:
>> pyotr > wrote in
>> :

>>> alt.pets.cats the following:
>>>
>>> Chicken Hearts - as a "bribe"
>>> --
>>> pyotr filipivich
>>> Obi-wan once observed"The Force can have a strong influence on the
>>> weak-minded." Who knew Dubya was a Jedi Knight?
>>
>> What about catnip as no calorie treat?
>
> Buttons is a connoisseur. Ignore the cheap stuff, will find the
> "good stuff" if I don't keep it in a sealed jar.
> --
> pyotr filipivich
> Obi-wan once observed"The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."
> Who knew Dubya was a Jedi Knight?

To me a treat must be something more than just a premium food treat. I
give my cats Webbox treats (they love them :@)!), but I feed the treats
by hand and talk to them and visually check them over while they're
close to me. Although a few cats love solitude, most are sociable and
enjoy time with their person. It is good bond-renewing behaviour and,
because I always offer treats within the pecking order, it also
reinforces pack hierarchy, which in turn is good for training.
--
Spider
from high ground in SE London