PDA

View Full Version : "Fe Fie Fo Fum, I'll grind his bones to make your bread" hand grinders for chicken bones

pyotr filipivich
July 6th 12, 05:50 PM
Greetings

Making home-made cat food: "cheap" chicken quarters, organs and fish.
Don't yet have a met grinder (the tube which bolts to a board). Been
grinding the quarters, bones and all, in a second (third) hand clamp
to the table, Universal #2 hand grinder. "lots of fun".
Several questions: Sharpening the cutters? Is it possible? How
is it done.

Is there a "better" make & model which will handled a "whole"
chicken? I'm getting good at deboning chicken legs, which does help,
some, but "anyone know of a better way"? That doesn't cost a lot of
cash money?

tschus
pyotr

And yes, I know all about "Don't feed chicken bones to cats". Which
is excellent advice regarding cooked chicken & bones. But raw bones -
with a good knife you can cut them up w/ little or not effort.
Grinding them fine solves the "calcium" problem.
--
pyotr filipivich
What is normal?

July 6th 12, 07:28 PM
On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 09:50:45 -0700, pyotr filipivich
> wrote:

>Greetings
>
>Making home-made cat food: "cheap" chicken quarters, organs and fish.
>Don't yet have a met grinder (the tube which bolts to a board). Been
>grinding the quarters, bones and all, in a second (third) hand clamp
>to the table, Universal #2 hand grinder. "lots of fun".
> Several questions: Sharpening the cutters? Is it possible? How
>is it done.
>
> Is there a "better" make & model which will handled a "whole"
>chicken? I'm getting good at deboning chicken legs, which does help,
>some, but "anyone know of a better way"? That doesn't cost a lot of
>cash money?
>
>tschus
>pyotr
>

>And yes, I know all about "Don't feed chicken bones to cats". Which
>is excellent advice regarding cooked chicken & bones. But raw bones -
>with a good knife you can cut them up w/ little or not effort.
>Grinding them fine solves the "calcium" problem.a

You might want to consider just how much calcium is available to the
body consuming bone meal. Calcium availability varies depending on
the source. Calcium carbonate, for example, is a salt and easily
dissolved and absorbed. Calcium in bones is built into the lattice
structure making up the bone material and is not easily released. You
could be eating lots of bone meal and not really getting much usable
calcium.

>--
>pyotr filipivich
>What is normal?
>"Two sigmas either side of Mu.
> You bring the cow." drieux.

rbowman
July 7th 12, 02:29 AM
pyotr filipivich wrote:

> Is there a "better" make & model which will handled a "whole"
> chicken? I'm getting good at deboning chicken legs, which does help,
> some, but "anyone know of a better way"? That doesn't cost a lot of
> cash money?

Wood chipper, but make sure the chickens are dead first or you too will find
15 minutes of fame on the 'net.