PDA

View Full Version : Feline jealousy


FragSinatra
July 13th 12, 09:53 PM
Mage, a medium sized orange tabby, is very jealous. He doesn't like
it when anyone pets Zero, a more lithe black cat. He'll deliberately
get up and go over to where anyone is petting Zero as well as come from
anywhere in the house if he hears someone petting Zero. This means Zero
doesn't get a lot of attention because if he meows for attention inevitably
jealous, green-eyed Mage shows up. What ends up happening is Zero usually
ends up running away. Is this usual behaviour in multi-cat households?

--- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to ---

John Doe
July 14th 12, 12:15 AM
FragSinatra <perhaps not.com> wrote:

> Mage, a medium sized orange tabby, is very jealous. He doesn't
> like it when anyone pets Zero, a more lithe black cat. He'll
> deliberately get up and go over to where anyone is petting Zero
> as well as come from anywhere in the house if he hears someone
> petting Zero. This means Zero doesn't get a lot of attention
> because if he meows for attention inevitably jealous, green-eyed
> Mage shows up. What ends up happening is Zero usually ends up
> running away. Is this usual behaviour in multi-cat households?

Is Zero a newer cat?

Cats can be exactly that way (there is a demonstration video on
YouTube). There is nothing unusual about that. It can explain why
a newcomer is treated badly, and help you prepare.

Something that will possibly help is to clip the aggressor's
claws. Keep them clipped. Maybe a large rubber band flicked in
Zero's direction will help (assuming of course he gets attention
too).






--
If he is declawed, I don't want to hear about it.

FragSinatra
July 14th 12, 03:24 AM
John Doe > wrote in news:[email protected]
email.me:

> FragSinatra <perhaps not.com> wrote:
>
>> Mage, a medium sized orange tabby, is very jealous. He doesn't
>> like it when anyone pets Zero, a more lithe black cat. He'll
>> deliberately get up and go over to where anyone is petting Zero
>> as well as come from anywhere in the house if he hears someone
>> petting Zero. This means Zero doesn't get a lot of attention
>> because if he meows for attention inevitably jealous, green-eyed
>> Mage shows up. What ends up happening is Zero usually ends up
>> running away. Is this usual behaviour in multi-cat households?
>
> Is Zero a newer cat?
>
> Cats can be exactly that way (there is a demonstration video on
> YouTube). There is nothing unusual about that. It can explain why
> a newcomer is treated badly, and help you prepare.
>
> Something that will possibly help is to clip the aggressor's
> claws. Keep them clipped. Maybe a large rubber band flicked in
> Zero's direction will help (assuming of course he gets attention
> too).
>

Zero and Mage have known each other for almost 10 years now.

There's not any actual fighting or hissing or growling. Just
the intimidation of Zero by Mage.

--- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to ---

Bill Graham
July 14th 12, 03:51 AM
FragSinatra wrote:
> Mage, a medium sized orange tabby, is very jealous. He doesn't like
> it when anyone pets Zero, a more lithe black cat. He'll deliberately
> get up and go over to where anyone is petting Zero as well as come
> from
> anywhere in the house if he hears someone petting Zero. This means
> Zero
> doesn't get a lot of attention because if he meows for attention
> inevitably jealous, green-eyed Mage shows up. What ends up happening
> is Zero usually
> ends up running away. Is this usual behaviour in multi-cat households?
>
No. Mine take tyrns on the lap. If one is on it, the others won't bother
them... The bed too... Usually only one at a time there too. The females
give their turns to the males, but the males won't shove the females
aside... They are more respectful, But they will all gang up on any outside
cat from down the block.... I have to kind of guard such cats while they are
in the house.....

John Doe
July 14th 12, 04:23 AM
"Bill Graham" <weg9 comcast.net> wrote:

> FragSinatra wrote:

>> Mage, a medium sized orange tabby, is very jealous. He doesn't
>> like it when anyone pets Zero, a more lithe black cat. He'll
>> deliberately get up and go over to where anyone is petting Zero
>> as well as come from anywhere in the house if he hears someone
>> petting Zero. This means Zero doesn't get a lot of attention
>> because if he meows for attention inevitably jealous,
>> green-eyed Mage shows up. What ends up happening is Zero
>> usually ends up running away. Is this usual behaviour in
>> multi-cat households?
>>
> No.

Apparently it's usual behavior in multiple reply threads...

And it's definitely not uncommon behavior among cats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj_byYH1RlU&feature=plcp

"Oreo gets upset when I pet Fat cat"

I didn't even search for that, it's from one of my subscriptions.

--











> Mine take tyrns on the lap. If one is on it, the others won't bother
> them... The bed too... Usually only one at a time there too. The females
> give their turns to the males, but the males won't shove the females
> aside... They are more respectful, But they will all gang up on any outside
> cat from down the block.... I have to kind of guard such cats while they are
> in the house.....
>
>

> Path: eternal-september.org!mx04.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!news.glorb.com!border3.nntp.dca.giga news.com!Xl.tags.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca.gig anews.com!nntp.giganews.com!local2.nntp.dca.gigane ws.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
> NNTP-Posting-Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 21:51:15 -0500
> From: "Bill Graham" <weg9 comcast.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> References: <XnsA08F8C4E05793perhapsnotcom 202.177.16.121>
> In-Reply-To: <XnsA08F8C4E05793perhapsnotcom 202.177.16.121>
> Subject: Re: Feline jealousy
> Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 19:51:09 -0700
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="Windows-1252"; reply-type=original
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> X-Priority: 3
> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Windows Mail 6.0.6002.18197
> X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.0.6002.18463
> Message-ID: <g5-dnesjTY4-Q53NnZ2dnUVZ5q2dnZ2d giganews.com>
> Lines: 19
> X-Usenet-Provider: http://www.giganews.com
> X-Trace: sv3-AOzvSEKeuM/26756fKiZRJMBEyw4wyr+B/XHPT5ZChRgJcYFgbeIECuNo7qUMF/0GthfS9cp2FrzJet!jnnO/DsLGSyagvshmpWuEZNu1c3aF1zA+Zi9hmjegcdH9D6BlYLQOYB BF8iy5sEr/VANlU2GiiUu
> X-Complaints-To: abuse giganews.com
> X-DMCA-Notifications: http://www.giganews.com/info/dmca.html
> X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers
> X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
> X-Postfilter: 1.3.40
> X-Original-Bytes: 2215
> Xref: mx04.eternal-september.org rec.pets.cats.health+behav:10385
>