PDA

View Full Version : Depo Medro and Personality Change

JazzyPurrs
July 25th 12, 02:06 PM
Hi everyone. I am new and came here because I am so upset about the reaction my sweet Himalayan cat has had to a recent Depo Medro injection. Jaspurr received 20 mg 4 days ago for a skin condition and since then I have lost the happy cat I knew. All I can think of to describe him now is "flat". He used to follow me around the house, talking and with that tail in the air. He doesn't do that anymore. He will purr when I stroke him or pick him up but that cheerful little demeanor is gone. He will often sit or lay and just stare. His appetite is good and I haven't noticed any physical problems but this change has really been dramatic. I am depressed. I want my cat back. And I am really angry that the vet didn't warn me of this potential side effect. I don't think the skin condition was severe enough to warrant the use of this obviously potent long-acting drug.

I'm just worried that this will be permanent. Has anyone else had this experience? Please share the outcome. Thank you so much.

Bill Graham
July 25th 12, 08:39 PM
JazzyPurrs wrote:
> Hi everyone. I am new and came here because I am so upset about the
> reaction my sweet Himalayan cat has had to a recent Depo Medro
> injection. Jaspurr received 20 mg 4 days ago for a skin condition and
> since then I have lost the happy cat I knew. All I can think of to
> describe him now is "flat". He used to follow me around the house,
> talking and with that tail in the air. He doesn't do that anymore.
> He will purr when I stroke him or pick him up but that cheerful little
> demeanor is gone. He will often sit or lay and just stare. His
> appetite is good and I haven't noticed any physical problems but this
> change has really been dramatic. I am depressed. I want my cat back.
> And I am really angry that the vet didn't warn me of this potential
> side effect. I don't think the skin condition was severe enough to
> warrant the use of this obviously potent long-acting drug.
>
> I'm just worried that this will be permanent. Has anyone else had
> this experience? Please share the outcome. Thank you so much.

This stuff is used on humans too: Here is a site that lists side effects:
http://www.rxlist.com/depo-medrol-drug/consumer-side-effects-precautions.htm

dgk
July 26th 12, 03:31 PM
On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 12:39:51 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>JazzyPurrs wrote:
>> Hi everyone. I am new and came here because I am so upset about the
>> reaction my sweet Himalayan cat has had to a recent Depo Medro
>> injection. Jaspurr received 20 mg 4 days ago for a skin condition and
>> since then I have lost the happy cat I knew. All I can think of to
>> describe him now is "flat". He used to follow me around the house,
>> talking and with that tail in the air. He doesn't do that anymore.
>> He will purr when I stroke him or pick him up but that cheerful little
>> demeanor is gone. He will often sit or lay and just stare. His
>> appetite is good and I haven't noticed any physical problems but this
>> change has really been dramatic. I am depressed. I want my cat back.
>> And I am really angry that the vet didn't warn me of this potential
>> side effect. I don't think the skin condition was severe enough to
>> warrant the use of this obviously potent long-acting drug.
>>
>> I'm just worried that this will be permanent. Has anyone else had
>> this experience? Please share the outcome. Thank you so much.
>
>This stuff is used on humans too: Here is a site that lists side effects:
> http://www.rxlist.com/depo-medrol-drug/consumer-side-effects-precautions.htm

One of the issues with using steroids is that they depress the bodies
natural steroid production. Between that and perhaps making Jaspurr
(great name) slightly dizzy, that could have an effect. I think it
will wear off and Jaspurr will be back to normal. I haven't read about
other cats having personality changes from steroids like this. I have
read that it can trigger diabetes, which makes some sense because
these affect the glucose pathway so if Jaspurr starts drinking lots of
water you might mention that to the vet.