PDA

View Full Version : reasons for drinking/peeing other than diabetes?

Liz
July 31st 12, 04:46 PM
I've noticed that one of our office cats has been drinking & peeing more often. Other than that, I see no difference in her behavior or her eating habits. I have Type 1 diabetes and I've checked her blood sugar a few times. It's always in the 70s (74/75 range). I saw a web site that showed a normal cat blood sugar range is a little lower than human range so her readings in the 70s seem to be toward the top end.

Is there anything else that could cause her to drink & pee more than usual? I know it's summer, but the space has air conditioning although it is turned off at night when all the humans leave.

Bill Graham
July 31st 12, 06:55 PM
Liz wrote:
> I've noticed that one of our office cats has been drinking & peeing
> more often. Other than that, I see no difference in her behavior or
> her eating habits. I have Type 1 diabetes and I've checked her blood
> sugar a few times. It's always in the 70s (74/75 range). I saw a
> web site that showed a normal cat blood sugar range is a little lower
> than human range so her readings in the 70s seem to be toward the top
> end.
>
> Is there anything else that could cause her to drink & pee more than
> usual? I know it's summer, but the space has air conditioning
> although it is turned off at night when all the humans leave.

Salty food can doi this.... We have one that likes ham. She always ends up
getting like half the ham in my ham sandwich. but then she drinks water for
the rest of the day.....

August 2nd 12, 09:34 PM
How old is the cat--drinking excess water and peeing a lot is also a symptom of kidney disease/failure.

Has the cat been to the vet lately? It would be a good idea to get a blood panel and overall check up done.

Rene

Liz
August 14th 12, 04:28 PM
On Thursday, August 2, 2012 4:34:45 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
> How old is the cat--drinking excess water and peeing a lot is also a symptom of kidney disease/failure.
>

> Has the cat been to the vet lately? It would be a good idea to get a blood panel and overall check up done.
>

> Rene

She is 13 years old. We went to the vet and he did a bunch of blood tests. He said glucose, thyroid, white blood count and everything was normal except one kidney value was very slightly elevated. He didn't seem too concerned about it and I forgot to ask exactly what value it was. He was unable to get urine at the visit, said she was too fat and he couldn't feel her bladder. :( She is a big cat but her previous vets said that for her body size (length/height) she really isn't obese.

I am going to bring her back one morning this week. The vet suggested taking away the litter boxes for a couple of hours and then bringing her in to ensure that her bladder is full. This morning, there were several men at my job measuring the space. Stinky was extremely upset because she doesn't like strange men, especially not when there's a whole bunch of them. When I went back in my office she was laying on her ottoman and her fur was all wet. I dried her off with paper towels and smelled them, and they didn't really smell like anything. Then I noticed the entire side of the ottoman facing the wall was wet and the wall has some spray on it, as well as the floor. It smells only very slightly of urine, but that's the only thing it could be. So, her urine seems to be pretty much all water.

She is still drinking & urinating frequently. I hope the urine tests tell us something new.

dgk
August 15th 12, 02:08 PM
On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 08:28:45 -0700 (PDT), Liz
> wrote:

>On Thursday, August 2, 2012 4:34:45 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
>> How old is the cat--drinking excess water and peeing a lot is also a symptom of kidney disease/failure.
>>

>> Has the cat been to the vet lately? It would be a good idea to get a blood panel and overall check up done.
>>

>> Rene
>
>She is 13 years old. We went to the vet and he did a bunch of blood tests. He said glucose, thyroid, white blood count and everything was normal except one kidney value was very slightly elevated. He didn't seem too concerned about it and I forgot to ask exactly what value it was. He was unable to get urine at the visit, said she was too fat and he couldn't feel her bladder. :( She is a big cat but her previous vets said that for her body size (length/height) she really isn't obese.
>
>I am going to bring her back one morning this week. The vet suggested taking away the litter boxes for a couple of hours and then bringing her in to ensure that her bladder is full. This morning, there were several men at my job measuring the space. Stinky was extremely upset because she doesn't like strange men, especially not when there's a whole bunch of them. When I went back in my office she was laying on her ottoman and her fur was all wet. I dried her off with paper towels and smelled them, and they didn't really smell like anything. Then I noticed the entire side of the ottoman facing the wall was wet and the wall has some spray on it, as well as the floor. It smells only very slightly of urine, but that's the only thing it could be. So, her urine seems to be pretty much all water.
>
>She is still drinking & urinating frequently. I hope the urine tests tell us something new.

We await further news.

August 15th 12, 02:58 PM
> I am going to bring her back one morning this week. The vet suggested taking away the litter boxes for a couple of hours and then bringing her in to ensure that her bladder is full. This morning, there were several men at my job measuring the space. Stinky was extremely upset because she doesn't like strange men, especially not when there's a whole bunch of them. When I went back in my office she was laying on her ottoman and her fur was all wet. I dried her off with paper towels and smelled them, and they didn't really smell like anything. Then I noticed the entire side of the ottoman facing the wall was wet and the wall has some spray on it, as well as the floor. It smells only very slightly of urine, but that's the only thing it could be. So, her urine seems to be pretty much all water.

Poor girl. I hope you can get some more information. Has she had any x-rays? You might want to ask your vet about this.

Rene

Liz
August 15th 12, 06:54 PM
I brought her to the vet this morning to give urine. She gave some in the carrier as soon as I put her in, but they were able to get a sample. The tech said that it was very dilute.

I have to call tomorrow to get the results of the urinalysis but the culture will take several days.

I don't know if she was x-rayed but I don't think so. Other than the excessive drinking & urination, she's acting perfectly normal (as normal as a weird cat can be!).