PDA

View Full Version : Re: Fences - Cats - DIY ?

Higgs Boson
August 15th 12, 01:52 AM
On Aug 12, 5:32*am, Gas Bag > wrote:
> A friend of mine has one of these fences that's about 178cm (5'10")
> tall:
>
> http://stratco.com.au/products/fencing/types/good_neighbour/good_neig...
>
> She wants to stop her cats getting out, and other cats getting in. *I
> know full well that there are numerous commercially available products
> that will stop cats (along with other animals) climbing fences. *I'm
> sure they do work, but they're all fairly pricey, particularly if
> attempting to cover a significant length of fencing. *I'm now thinking
> about trying a home-rigged set up. *I'm considering getting a whole
> heap of empty 2 Litre plastic softdrink bottles (Soda bottles to any
> USA readers), then cutting off the base and neck of the bottles, then
> cutting them lengthwise, then siliconing them to the tops of the fence
> so the sides of the bottles "curve downwards" from the top of the
> fence. *I'm thinking this curved plastic will be too smooth and
> slippery for a cat to get any grip with it's claws. *I have no problem
> with spending some time getting this to work, but I want to keep the
> cost down, so spending lots of $$$ isn't happening.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has attempted anything like this, and if
> they can offer any advice. *Thanks.
>
> To any cat "lovers" out there, my friend isn't getting rid of her
> cats, nor is she trapping/baiting any of the cats in her suburb.

As the owner -- more like servant -- of cats these many years, I have
to agree that almost nothing will stop them getting over a fence.

You might be in for some frustration trying workabouts like you
suggest.

Have you checked out DIY electrical deterrents?

Also spraying fences with whatever animal smell is most repulsive to
cats?

Last, it's been suggested that turning a hose on the invading cat
repeatedly and forcefully might get it to reconsider whether it's
worth entering the premises.

This is about keeping cats from getting IN

Keeping them from getting OUT is a whole nother ball-game. I never
had any luck, even blocking up every possible exit point. If your
situation lends itself to creating a cat-run with chicken wire, at
least the cat can get some outdoor R&R.

Good luck; you're going to need it!

HB

Billy[_3_]
August 15th 12, 03:15 AM
In article
Higgs Boson > wrote:

> On Aug 12, 5:32*am, Gas Bag > wrote:
> > A friend of mine has one of these fences that's about 178cm (5'10")
> > tall:
> >
> > http://stratco.com.au/products/fencing/types/good_neighbour/good_neig...
> >
> > She wants to stop her cats getting out, and other cats getting in. *I
> > know full well that there are numerous commercially available products
> > that will stop cats (along with other animals) climbing fences. *I'm
> > sure they do work, but they're all fairly pricey, particularly if
> > attempting to cover a significant length of fencing. *I'm now thinking
> > about trying a home-rigged set up. *I'm considering getting a whole
> > heap of empty 2 Litre plastic softdrink bottles (Soda bottles to any
> > USA readers), then cutting off the base and neck of the bottles, then
> > cutting them lengthwise, then siliconing them to the tops of the fence
> > so the sides of the bottles "curve downwards" from the top of the
> > fence. *I'm thinking this curved plastic will be too smooth and
> > slippery for a cat to get any grip with it's claws. *I have no problem
> > with spending some time getting this to work, but I want to keep the
> > cost down, so spending lots of $$$ isn't happening.
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone has attempted anything like this, and if
> > they can offer any advice. *Thanks.
> >
> > To any cat "lovers" out there, my friend isn't getting rid of her
> > cats, nor is she trapping/baiting any of the cats in her suburb.
>
> As the owner -- more like servant -- of cats these many years, I have
> to agree that almost nothing will stop them getting over a fence.

Check your local pet store, and ask them about cat fences. It goes
across the top of the fence.

--
Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>