PDA

View Full Version : Re: A lasting tribute to a companion and friend

FragSinatra
August 28th 12, 03:18 PM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in
:

> Yes. IOW, you use your common sense to avoid problems. I do much the
> same thing. When there is something that doesn't, "smell good", I just
> delete it and move on. But there are many who don't have a very good,
> "sense of smell", and these are subject to many scams. So I understand
> how the scammers can make a living. I do wonder how they can profit
> from just creating viruses and disseminating them to the computing
> public, however. Do they own stock in computer repair facilities, or
> are they just teenagers impressed with their own abilities?

There are professional computer hackers now, some of them work for
organized crime some of them work for foreign governments like China or
Pakistan. They might like to turn your computer into a bot that
they can use for their own ends (i.e. to hack other computers) or to try
to get the necessary information off of your computer to commit identity
theft or steal your credit card information or take over your email
account (which has happened to me).

Bill Graham
August 28th 12, 09:22 PM
FragSinatra wrote:
> "Bill Graham" > wrote in
> :
>>
>> Yes. IOW, you use your common sense to avoid problems. I do much the
>> same thing. When there is something that doesn't, "smell good", I
>> just delete it and move on. But there are many who don't have a very
>> good, "sense of smell", and these are subject to many scams. So I
>> understand how the scammers can make a living. I do wonder how they
>> can profit from just creating viruses and disseminating them to the
>> computing public, however. Do they own stock in computer repair
>> facilities, or are they just teenagers impressed with their own
>> abilities?
>>

> There are professional computer hackers now, some of them work for
> organized crime some of them work for foreign governments like China
> or
> Pakistan. They might like to turn your computer into a bot that
> they can use for their own ends (i.e. to hack other computers) or to
> try
> to get the necessary information off of your computer to commit
> identity
> theft or steal your credit card information or take over your email
> account (which has happened to me).
>

> --- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to
> ---

One thing everyone can do is to replace the signature on the back of your
cred cards with the words, "Photo ID required". Then, carry a good photo ID,
such as a passport with you at all times when you are going to use any of
your credit cards. This was recommended to be by a lawyer, and it is a very
good idea. (now, if I could just get storekeepers to read it and go by it
when I am not there)

FragSinatra
August 29th 12, 06:52 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in
:

> FragSinatra wrote:
>> "Bill Graham" > wrote in
>> :
>>>
>>> Yes. IOW, you use your common sense to avoid problems. I do much the
>>> same thing. When there is something that doesn't, "smell good", I
>>> just delete it and move on. But there are many who don't have a very
>>> good, "sense of smell", and these are subject to many scams. So I
>>> understand how the scammers can make a living. I do wonder how they
>>> can profit from just creating viruses and disseminating them to the
>>> computing public, however. Do they own stock in computer repair
>>> facilities, or are they just teenagers impressed with their own
>>> abilities?
>>>

>> There are professional computer hackers now, some of them work for
>> organized crime some of them work for foreign governments like China
>> or
>> Pakistan. They might like to turn your computer into a bot that
>> they can use for their own ends (i.e. to hack other computers) or to
>> try
>> to get the necessary information off of your computer to commit
>> identity
>> theft or steal your credit card information or take over your email
>> account (which has happened to me).
>>

>> --- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to
>> ---
>
> One thing everyone can do is to replace the signature on the back of
> your cred cards with the words, "Photo ID required". Then, carry a
> good photo ID, such as a passport with you at all times when you are
> going to use any of your credit cards. This was recommended to be by a
> lawyer, and it is a very good idea. (now, if I could just get
> storekeepers to read it and go by it when I am not there)

Bill, credit card fraud is mostly on-line now. They just pretend to be the
owner of the credit card and buy stuff off the internet and have it sent to
a drop house. It's also possible that once they have your credit
card information they can manufacture their own fakes as well. They can
make a legitimate credit card that looks exactly like the one in your
wallet. There are underground websites where you can buy someone's complete
credit card information.

Bill Graham
August 30th 12, 10:48 PM
FragSinatra wrote:
> "Bill Graham" > wrote in
> :
>
>> FragSinatra wrote:
>>> "Bill Graham" > wrote in
>>> :

>>> There are professional computer hackers now, some of them work for
>>> organized crime some of them work for foreign governments like China
>>> or
>>> Pakistan. They might like to turn your computer into a bot that
>>> they can use for their own ends (i.e. to hack other computers) or to
>>> try
>>> to get the necessary information off of your computer to commit
>>> identity
>>> theft or steal your credit card information or take over your email
>>> account (which has happened to me).
>>>

>>> --- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to
>>> ---
>>
>> One thing everyone can do is to replace the signature on the back of
>> your cred cards with the words, "Photo ID required". Then, carry a
>> good photo ID, such as a passport with you at all times when you are
>> going to use any of your credit cards. This was recommended to be by
>> a lawyer, and it is a very good idea. (now, if I could just get
>> storekeepers to read it and go by it when I am not there)
>>

> Bill, credit card fraud is mostly on-line now. They just pretend to
> be the
> owner of the credit card and buy stuff off the internet and have it
> sent to
> a drop house. It's also possible that once they have your credit
> card information they can manufacture their own fakes as well. They
> can
> make a legitimate credit card that looks exactly like the one in your
> wallet. There are underground websites where you can buy someone's
> complete credit card information.

Yes, and I've had something like that happen to me. I got a telephone call
late one evening from a storekeeper in the Midwest somewhere asking me if I
had ordered a thousand dollar electronic chassis from hom. When I said "no",
he said someone was trying to use my VISA card, so I called VISA and
cancelled it, and they sent me a new card with a new number. But there are
things you can do to help. I tell the stores I deal with to never let me
order anything and not send it to my billing address. So, the only people
who casn steal from me will have to live with me, and I am used to being
stolen from by them anyway....:^) You can also send your CC information to
suppliers in two seperate emails, although this won't protect against a lot
of thieves either. Just changing your cards often is a good thing. AQsking
for a low credit limit also helps. If you want to buy something more
expensive, put it on two seperate purchases that are both under the limit,
preferably over 24 hours apart.