PDA

View Full Version : Driving cats around town

FragSinatra
October 10th 12, 08:42 PM
Is it OK to drive cats around town without being caged? What about with
a window open (like dog owners do)?

Matthew[_3_]
October 10th 12, 08:46 PM
"FragSinatra" > wrote in message
. ..
> Is it OK to drive cats around town without being caged? What about with
> a window open (like dog owners do)?
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

I would not leave a window open ever with a cat. The furball gets scared
and out the window they go.

I have let mine lay on the seat next to me in my truck when I am on the open
road heading to the vet as I am driving but 99% of the time I have them in
the carrier. My carriers are the ones that you can lock in like a baby seat
using any seat belts.

Never know with the nut jobs on the road nowadays

October 10th 12, 08:52 PM
On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:42:41 PM UTC-5, FragSinatra wrote:
> Is it OK to drive cats around town without being caged? What about with
>
> a window open (like dog owners do)?

I am hoping this is a serious question and not a troll. NO, it is not ok. Most cats don't travel well in the car, and even if they do, it's just not safe. About 12 years ago, I was driving back from a trip after visiting relatives. I had my cat (in a carrier) in the car and got into an accident. I can still see his carrier flying up off the seat as I collided with the other car.

Fortunately, we were both uninjured . . .but that is why you should use carriers. Accidents happen.

Bill Graham
October 10th 12, 09:19 PM
FragSinatra wrote:
> Is it OK to drive cats around town without being caged? What about
> with a window open (like dog owners do)?

Its, "OK", but its dangerous, because cats will sometimes get between your
feet and the pedels, and in order to stop, you will have to crush the cat.
But, if your cat stays on the rear deck, then its OK. None of mine like to
travel in the car. If they sleep there, and I don't see them in the morning
when I leave, they start mewing before aI hit the end of the block, and I
stop and let them out.

Gandalf[_2_]
October 10th 12, 09:50 PM
On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 19:42:40 +0000 (UTC), FragSinatra >
wrote:

>Is it OK to drive cats around town without being caged? What about with
>a window open (like dog owners do)?
>
>--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

It could be VERY dangerous to have a cat in your car, not in a carrier.

If the that gets scared, it could attack the driver, causing a serious
accident, and/or death.

If you have to suddenly slam on the brakes, the cat could fly off the
seat, hit the dashboard, get really scared, attack the driver, and cause
a serious accident and/or death.

If you get in a car accident, your cat could be seriously injured, or
killed, or simply escape from your car, and be lost.

There are other bad things that can happen, if you have a cat loose in
your car.

I ALWAYS transport my cat in a carrier, placing the carrier on the back
seat, and wrapping the seat belt around the carrier to prevent it from
moving in case of a traffic mishap.

It takes only a few extra minutes, but I know that my cat is as safe as
possible on the trip to and from the veterinarian, once a year.

FragSinatra
October 11th 12, 10:25 AM
FragSinatra > wrote in news:[email protected]
202.177.16.121:

> Is it OK to drive cats around town without being caged? What about with
> a window open (like dog owners do)?
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

I think people mis-understood me. My mom used to take her cat
out for short Sunday drives around the neighborhood at slow speeds (25
MPH). It seemed like her cat enjoyed the fresh air and sunshine and never
attempted to jump out of the car. She was an indoor cat at the time because
of her extreme age (20+ years). This was what I was referring to.
I wasn't talking about taking a feline friend on a long drive at high
speed.

Matthew[_3_]
October 11th 12, 12:35 PM
"FragSinatra" > wrote in message
. ..
> FragSinatra > wrote in news:[email protected]
> 202.177.16.121:
>
>> Is it OK to drive cats around town without being caged? What about with
>> a window open (like dog owners do)?
>>
>> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---
>>

> I think people mis-understood me. My mom used to take her cat
> out for short Sunday drives around the neighborhood at slow speeds (25
> MPH). It seemed like her cat enjoyed the fresh air and sunshine and never
> attempted to jump out of the car. She was an indoor cat at the time
> because
> of her extreme age (20+ years). This was what I was referring to.
> I wasn't talking about taking a feline friend on a long drive at high
> speed.
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

Still does not matter 1mph 5mph or 100mph window open cat get scared
jumps out hurt and or lost furball
common sense

Wayne Mitchell
October 11th 12, 02:35 PM
FragSinatra > wrote:

> My mom used to take her cat out for short Sunday drives
> around the neighborhood at slow speeds (25 >MPH). It
> seemed like her cat enjoyed the fresh air and sunshine
> and never attempted to jump out of the car.

For that type of outing, I would sooner recommend a cat stroller. Safer
for the cat, and healthier for the caregiver and the environment.
--

Wayne M.

October 11th 12, 04:21 PM
On Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:35:18 AM UTC-5, Wayne Mitchell wrote:
> FragSinatra > wrote:
>

> > My mom used to take her cat out for short Sunday drives
>
> > around the neighborhood at slow speeds (25 >MPH). It
>
> > seemed like her cat enjoyed the fresh air and sunshine
>
> > and never attempted to jump out of the car.
>

> For that type of outing, I would sooner recommend a cat stroller. Safer
>
> for the cat, and healthier for the caregiver and the environment.

ITA with this. If you truly want your cat to have some fresh air, use a pet stroller.

Rene

Bill Graham
October 12th 12, 12:32 AM
Gandalf wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 19:42:40 +0000 (UTC), FragSinatra
> > wrote:
>
>> Is it OK to drive cats around town without being caged? What about
>> with a window open (like dog owners do)?
>>
>> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---
>
> It could be VERY dangerous to have a cat in your car, not in a
> carrier.
>
> If the that gets scared, it could attack the driver, causing a serious
> accident, and/or death.
>
> If you have to suddenly slam on the brakes, the cat could fly off the
> seat, hit the dashboard, get really scared, attack the driver, and
> cause a serious accident and/or death.
>
> If you get in a car accident, your cat could be seriously injured, or
> killed, or simply escape from your car, and be lost.
>
> There are other bad things that can happen, if you have a cat loose in
> your car.
>
> I ALWAYS transport my cat in a carrier, placing the carrier on the
> back seat, and wrapping the seat belt around the carrier to prevent
> it from moving in case of a traffic mishap.
>
> It takes only a few extra minutes, but I know that my cat is as safe
> as possible on the trip to and from the veterinarian, once a year.

I do better than that. We have a roving cat hospital that comes to our house
and checks out the cats, so we don't have to take them anywhere. But we have
one cat we got from the neighbors across the street, that came all the way
out to Oregon from Connecticut in a car. (I don't know whether she was in a
cat carrier or not)

Bill Graham
October 12th 12, 12:38 AM
FragSinatra wrote:
> FragSinatra > wrote in
> news:[email protected] 202.177.16.121:
>
>> Is it OK to drive cats around town without being caged? What about
>> with a window open (like dog owners do)?
>>
>> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---
>>

> I think people mis-understood me. My mom used to take her cat
> out for short Sunday drives around the neighborhood at slow speeds (25
> MPH). It seemed like her cat enjoyed the fresh air and sunshine and
> never attempted to jump out of the car. She was an indoor cat at the
> time because of her extreme age (20+ years). This was what I was
> referring to.
> I wasn't talking about taking a feline friend on a long drive at high
> speed.
Cats can be pretty versatile. I have a friend who keeps on in his RV and
they travel around the country. (Thet are in Arizona right now.) I used to
know a guy who lived on a 33 foot sailboat and he had a cat who sailed with
him all over the world. It knew better than to jump overboard.... It had
friends in most every port he visited. Funny that had he had a dog, they
would have made him quarantine him, but they apparently didn't care about
cats......

Bill Graham
October 12th 12, 12:40 AM
wrote:
> On Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:35:18 AM UTC-5, Wayne Mitchell wrote:
>> FragSinatra > wrote:
>>

>>> My mom used to take her cat out for short Sunday drives
>>
>>> around the neighborhood at slow speeds (25 >MPH). It
>>
>>> seemed like her cat enjoyed the fresh air and sunshine
>>
>>> and never attempted to jump out of the car.
>>

>> For that type of outing, I would sooner recommend a cat stroller.
>> Safer
>>
>> for the cat, and healthier for the caregiver and the environment.
>
> ITA with this. If you truly want your cat to have some fresh air, use
> a pet stroller.
>
> Rene

My five cats get their, "outing" by simply walking out through the cat
door.....