PDA

View Full Version : Cat will not eat worming tablet

Emrys Davies
October 15th 12, 03:43 PM
I am helping a semi feral cat and from being very very skinny a few months
ago he is now putting on some weight. I have my own cat and I manage to
give it Drontal Cat by crafty deception, but the stray one will not be
deceived. Any ideas other than these which have not worked; hiding small
pieces in raw chicken, Tasty Sticks of chunks of cat food or mashing the
tablet in favourite cat food. Ingestion by mouth is not an be an option at
the moment. I have spoken to Drontal Tech. Advice and their only suggestion
in to have Spot-On (prescription only) treatment via a vets.

dgk
October 15th 12, 08:05 PM
On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 15:43:53 +0100, "Emrys Davies" >
wrote:

>I am helping a semi feral cat and from being very very skinny a few months
>ago he is now putting on some weight. I have my own cat and I manage to
>give it Drontal Cat by crafty deception, but the stray one will not be
>deceived. Any ideas other than these which have not worked; hiding small
>pieces in raw chicken, Tasty Sticks of chunks of cat food or mashing the
>tablet in favourite cat food. Ingestion by mouth is not an be an option at
>the moment. I have spoken to Drontal Tech. Advice and their only suggestion
>in to have Spot-On (prescription only) treatment via a vets.

No answer here but I await those with a suggestion. Well, they do sell
Pill Pockets of various flavors and I had some success with the Duck
flavored variety with one of my cats. Sometimes you can make a pill
pocket from a soft type of cat treat.

It may just be a matter of finding a flavor treat that he likes. My
cats are far from unanimous in their likes of various treats so that
might be a factor.

October 17th 12, 04:28 PM
I like dgk's suggestion of using a Pill Pocket. Also, have you tried mashing it really fine into some stinky fish, like canned tuna or sardines? You could also give her just a little bit of food one day, and then set out the stinky fish with the pill inside, so that's she's really hungry and more willing to eat it.

Emrys Davies
October 17th 12, 06:45 PM
> wrote in message
> I like dgk's suggestion of using a Pill Pocket. Also, have you tried
> mashing it really fine into some stinky fish, like canned tuna or
> sardines? You could also give her just a little bit of food one day, and
> then set out the stinky fish with the pill inside, so that's she's really
> hungry and more willing to eat it.

I had never heard of a Pill Pocket before and I will definitely bear that in
mind and also your other suggestions which seem to have much merit. Thanks a
lot.