PDA

View Full Version : Re: Fences - Cats - DIY?

Bob F
October 27th 12, 05:35 PM
dgk wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 20:59:00 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> Gas Bag wrote:
>>>
>>> She wants to stop her cats getting out, and other cats getting in.
>>> To any cat "lovers" out there, my friend isn't getting rid of her
>>> cats, nor is she trapping/baiting any of the cats in her suburb.
>>
>> Anyone who cares about their cats doesn't let them out.
>

> Like most absolute statements, that's nonsense. Cats enjoy being
> outdoors and if we really care about our cats we want them to be
> happy. Safe counts but so does happy.

And neighbor's love cat poop in their spinach.

Bill Graham
October 28th 12, 01:40 AM
Bob F wrote:
> dgk wrote:

>>> Anyone who cares about their cats doesn't let them out.
>>

>> Like most absolute statements, that's nonsense. Cats enjoy being
>> outdoors and if we really care about our cats we want them to be
>> happy. Safe counts but so does happy.
>
> And neighbor's love cat poop in their spinach.

Spinach gets lots of poop on it, from birds and other animals. If you grow
veggies, you better wash them before you eat them. Cats are naturally wild
animals. Like Elsa. they were "born free". Keeping them inside is like
keeping a bird in a cage. It keeps them alive, but what is their quality of
life? For me, quality beats quantity in almost evry case.

David E. Ross
October 29th 12, 03:54 AM
On 10/27/12 5:40 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
> Bob F wrote:
>> dgk wrote:

>>> Like most absolute statements, that's nonsense. Cats enjoy being
>>> outdoors and if we really care about our cats we want them to be
>>> happy. Safe counts but so does happy.
>>
>> And neighbor's love cat poop in their spinach.
>
> Spinach gets lots of poop on it, from birds and other animals. If you grow
> veggies, you better wash them before you eat them. Cats are naturally wild
> animals. Like Elsa. they were "born free". Keeping them inside is like
> keeping a bird in a cage. It keeps them alive, but what is their quality of
> life? For me, quality beats quantity in almost evry case.

The quality of my own life depends on not having new plants dug up by a
cat for a toilet because it found the soil there soft and easily dug.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Billy[_3_]
October 29th 12, 05:20 AM
In article >,
"David E. Ross" > wrote:

> On 10/27/12 5:40 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
> > Bob F wrote:

> >> And neighbor's love cat poop in their spinach.
> >
> > Spinach gets lots of poop on it, from birds and other animals. If you grow
> > veggies, you better wash them before you eat them. Cats are naturally wild
> > animals. Like Elsa. they were "born free". Keeping them inside is like
> > keeping a bird in a cage. It keeps them alive, but what is their quality of
> > life? For me, quality beats quantity in almost evry case.
> >

> The quality of my own life depends on not having new plants dug up by a
> cat for a toilet because it found the soil there soft and easily dug.

Forget cats, I have raccoons, and put down chicken wire to discourage
them.

--
Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

Moe DeLoughan
October 29th 12, 06:01 PM
On 10/27/2012 11:35 AM, Bob F wrote:
> dgk wrote:

>>> Anyone who cares about their cats doesn't let them out.
>>

>> Like most absolute statements, that's nonsense. Cats enjoy being
>> outdoors and if we really care about our cats we want them to be
>> happy. Safe counts but so does happy.
>
> And neighbor's love cat poop in their spinach.

Responsible cat owners who want their pets to experience the outdoors
have a number of options that will permit cats to safely do so, and
without posing a nuisance to neighbors. Permanent solutions: fence
their yard or build a catio. Temporary solutions are Kittywalks and
pet pup tents. Both are made of heavy mesh, fold for storage, and are
appropriate for use under direct supervision. They won't protect a cat
from a predator, so the owner should only use them when s/he is at
home and able to keep an eye on the cat(s).

Bill Graham
October 30th 12, 08:33 PM
David E. Ross wrote:
> On 10/27/12 5:40 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
>> Bob F wrote:

>>> And neighbor's love cat poop in their spinach.
>>
>> Spinach gets lots of poop on it, from birds and other animals. If
>> you grow veggies, you better wash them before you eat them. Cats are
>> naturally wild animals. Like Elsa. they were "born free". Keeping
>> them inside is like keeping a bird in a cage. It keeps them alive,
>> but what is their quality of life? For me, quality beats quantity in
>> almost evry case.
>>

> The quality of my own life depends on not having new plants dug up by
> a cat for a toilet because it found the soil there soft and easily
> dug.

Well, there you are. In my case, I see millions of pitiful little (furry and
otherwise) creatures freezing and starving ivery Winter, and forced to watch
their children freeze and starve before them) All done by a pitiless and
uncaring God who created this miserable mess and yet is, "worshipped" (in
abject fear) by billions of stupid folk. So, in my own small way, I try to
do what I can to help at least the few that I find in my limited area. I
could care less how they treat my potted plants. So, to each his own. I am
truely sorry for your plants, and I understand your position completely. Its
a pity that you can't understand mine.

Bill Graham
October 30th 12, 08:41 PM
Rick wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 20:54:21 -0700, "David E. Ross"
> > wrote:

>>> Spinach gets lots of poop on it, from birds and other animals. If
>>> you grow veggies, you better wash them before you eat them. Cats
>>> are naturally wild animals. Like Elsa. they were "born free".
>>> Keeping them inside is like keeping a bird in a cage. It keeps them
>>> alive, but what is their quality of life? For me, quality beats
>>> quantity in almost evry case.
>>>

>> The quality of my own life depends on not having new plants dug up
>> by a cat for a toilet because it found the soil there soft and
>> easily dug.
>
> Cats aren't too big a problem in my garden, but a group of feral cats
> has really played Hobb with the wild turkey population on one of the
> tracts. Coyotes seem to keep them thinned in the warmer months and I
> suspect winter is hard on them as they don't seem to migrate. I hope
> they all succumb this year so I don't have to try and deal with it.

The wild turkeys around here are much too large to interest any house cat.
Also, I have never seen a house cat team up with another house cat to
accomplish anything. Cats are the ultimate loners and don't, "team up" I
also will take this opportunity to suggest that anyone who grows anything
outside has to worry about bird poop as well as a myriad of other harmful
insects and animals, and shouled wash all his veggies thouroughly before
eating them. It doesn't matter whether he is washing off cat or bird poop,
as long as he washes it off, and ( preferably) cooks everything before
eating it.

Bill Graham
October 30th 12, 08:44 PM
Moe DeLoughan wrote:
> On 10/27/2012 11:35 AM, Bob F wrote:
>> dgk wrote:

>>> Like most absolute statements, that's nonsense. Cats enjoy being
>>> outdoors and if we really care about our cats we want them to be
>>> happy. Safe counts but so does happy.
>>
>> And neighbor's love cat poop in their spinach.
>
> Responsible cat owners who want their pets to experience the outdoors
> have a number of options that will permit cats to safely do so, and
> without posing a nuisance to neighbors. Permanent solutions: fence
> their yard or build a catio. Temporary solutions are Kittywalks and
> pet pup tents. Both are made of heavy mesh, fold for storage, and are
> appropriate for use under direct supervision. They won't protect a cat
> from a predator, so the owner should only use them when s/he is at
> home and able to keep an eye on the cat(s).

When you get to your heaven, find a black cat named, "B-K" and ask him if he
would rather have lived twice as long in a cage.....

David E. Ross
October 30th 12, 10:11 PM
On 10/30/12 1:41 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
> Rick wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 20:54:21 -0700, "David E. Ross"
>> > wrote:

>>> The quality of my own life depends on not having new plants dug up
>>> by a cat for a toilet because it found the soil there soft and
>>> easily dug.
>>
>> Cats aren't too big a problem in my garden, but a group of feral cats
>> has really played Hobb with the wild turkey population on one of the
>> tracts. Coyotes seem to keep them thinned in the warmer months and I
>> suspect winter is hard on them as they don't seem to migrate. I hope
>> they all succumb this year so I don't have to try and deal with it.
>
> The wild turkeys around here are much too large to interest any house cat.
> Also, I have never seen a house cat team up with another house cat to
> accomplish anything. Cats are the ultimate loners and don't, "team up" I
> also will take this opportunity to suggest that anyone who grows anything
> outside has to worry about bird poop as well as a myriad of other harmful
> insects and animals, and shouled wash all his veggies thouroughly before
> eating them. It doesn't matter whether he is washing off cat or bird poop,
> as long as he washes it off, and ( preferably) cooks everything before
> eating it.

The problem is NOT the poop. The problem is that cats dig toilets for
their poop. The digging destroys parts of my garden.

Birds do not dig toilets.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
<http://www.rossde.com/garden/climate.html>
Gardening diary at <http://www.rossde.com/garden/diary>

Bill Graham
October 31st 12, 03:01 AM
David E. Ross wrote:
> On 10/30/12 1:41 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
>> Rick wrote:
>>> On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 20:54:21 -0700, "David E. Ross"

>>> Cats aren't too big a problem in my garden, but a group of feral
>>> cats has really played Hobb with the wild turkey population on one
>>> of the tracts. Coyotes seem to keep them thinned in the warmer
>>> months and I suspect winter is hard on them as they don't seem to
>>> migrate. I hope they all succumb this year so I don't have to try
>>> and deal with it.
>>
>> The wild turkeys around here are much too large to interest any
>> house cat. Also, I have never seen a house cat team up with another
>> house cat to accomplish anything. Cats are the ultimate loners and
>> don't, "team up" I also will take this opportunity to suggest that
>> anyone who grows anything outside has to worry about bird poop as
>> well as a myriad of other harmful insects and animals, and shouled
>> wash all his veggies thouroughly before eating them. It doesn't
>> matter whether he is washing off cat or bird poop, as long as he
>> washes it off, and ( preferably) cooks everything before eating it.
>>

> The problem is NOT the poop. The problem is that cats dig toilets for
> their poop. The digging destroys parts of my garden.
>
> Birds do not dig toilets.

But this is one of the nicest things about cats... The facy yhat they bury
their droppings. Dogs don't do this. In fact, very few other animals do
this. And, it constitutes great fertilizer for the plants, too. The repair
process is minimal. It would only take a few minutes a day to clean up after
a half dozen cats. Most of our cats,use the cat box we keep inside the
house, even though they have access to the outside 24/7. Even the former
feral cat hardly ever goes outside. Have you tried putting a cat box near
your plants? I bet whichever cat is "destroying" your plants would love to
use it....

chaniarts[_2_]
October 31st 12, 05:52 PM
On 10/30/2012 1:41 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
> Rick wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 20:54:21 -0700, "David E. Ross"
>> > wrote:

>>> The quality of my own life depends on not having new plants dug up
>>> by a cat for a toilet because it found the soil there soft and
>>> easily dug.
>>
>> Cats aren't too big a problem in my garden, but a group of feral cats
>> has really played Hobb with the wild turkey population on one of the
>> tracts. Coyotes seem to keep them thinned in the warmer months and I
>> suspect winter is hard on them as they don't seem to migrate. I hope
>> they all succumb this year so I don't have to try and deal with it.
>
> The wild turkeys around here are much too large to interest any house
> cat. Also, I have never seen a house cat team up with another house cat
> to accomplish anything. Cats are the ultimate loners and don't, "team
> up" I also will take this opportunity to suggest that anyone who grows
> anything outside has to worry about bird poop as well as a myriad of
> other harmful insects and animals, and shouled wash all his veggies
> thouroughly before eating them. It doesn't matter whether he is washing
> off cat or bird poop, as long as he washes it off, and ( preferably)
> cooks everything before eating it.

lion prides in the wild cooperate in hunting all the time.

Bill Graham
November 1st 12, 12:00 AM
chaniarts wrote:
> On 10/30/2012 1:41 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
>> Rick wrote:
>>> On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 20:54:21 -0700, "David E. Ross"

>>> Cats aren't too big a problem in my garden, but a group of feral
>>> cats has really played Hobb with the wild turkey population on one
>>> of the tracts. Coyotes seem to keep them thinned in the warmer
>>> months and I suspect winter is hard on them as they don't seem to
>>> migrate. I hope they all succumb this year so I don't have to try
>>> and deal with it.
>>
>> The wild turkeys around here are much too large to interest any house
>> cat. Also, I have never seen a house cat team up with another house
>> cat to accomplish anything. Cats are the ultimate loners and don't,
>> "team up" I also will take this opportunity to suggest that anyone
>> who grows anything outside has to worry about bird poop as well as a
>> myriad of other harmful insects and animals, and shouled wash all
>> his veggies thouroughly before eating them. It doesn't matter
>> whether he is washing off cat or bird poop, as long as he washes it
>> off, and ( preferably) cooks everything before eating it.
>
> lion prides in the wild cooperate in hunting all the time.

Yes. They are one of the exceptions. Cheetas also will team up with their
brothers, sometimes for life. but house cats seldom team up for anything.
Although sometimes I will catch two of mine chasing a strange cat away from
our property, and they occasionally will tear into an unopened bag of dry
food on my kitchen floor... Usually, however, one will do all the work, and
the others will just watch and wait until they can take their share of the
booty.....

Bill Graham
November 1st 12, 12:09 AM
Rick wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 13:41:59 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
> wrote:
>
>> Rick wrote:
>>> On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 20:54:21 -0700, "David E. Ross"

>>> Cats aren't too big a problem in my garden, but a group of feral
>>> cats has really played Hobb with the wild turkey population on one
>>> of the tracts. Coyotes seem to keep them thinned in the warmer
>>> months and I suspect winter is hard on them as they don't seem to
>>> migrate. I hope they all succumb this year so I don't have to try
>>> and deal with it.
>>
>> The wild turkeys around here are much too large to interest any
>> house cat. Also, I have never seen a house cat team up with another
>> house cat to accomplish anything. Cats are the ultimate loners and
>> don't, "team up" I also will take this opportunity to suggest that
>> anyone who grows anything outside has to worry about bird poop as
>> well as a myriad of other harmful insects and animals, and shouled
>> wash all his veggies thouroughly before eating them. It doesn't
>> matter whether he is washing off cat or bird poop, as long as he
>> washes it off, and ( preferably) cooks everything before eating it.
>
> I hope I'm not out of line here and that you've had the talk with your
> dad- All big turkeys come from little turkeys and little turkeys come
> from eggs that are laid in nests on the ground. The added pedators
> seem to have overwhelmed the local turkeys. The adults are fine. I
> have barn cats that do good work for me, but they can't breed and
> don't hang out in the woods killing anything that moves for the fun of
> it; which is the nature of domestic cats.

I had one that didn't kill his toys... He just brought them in the house and
let them go, so he could play with them. We had a chipmonk living in our
kitchen, under the stove, for about two months last Winter. My wife left
squirrel food out for it and water... I thought it was going to be a
permanent pet, but as soon as Spring rolled around, I left the sliding glass
door open a few inches and it escaped back outside. I don't know how my cat
caught it to begin with. Chipmonks are as fast as anything I have ever seen.
This one would run across the kitchen floor so fast you couldn't see it even
if you were looking at it.....

wishbone
May 22nd 13, 07:11 AM

Gas Bag wrote:

She wants to stop her cats getting out, and other cats getting in.
To any cat "lovers" out there, my friend isn't getting rid of her
cats, nor is she trapping/baiting any of the cats in her suburb.

Anyone who cares about their cats doesn't let them out.

Like most absolute statements, that's nonsense. Cats enjoy being
outdoors and if we really care about our cats we want them to be
happy. Safe counts but so does happy.

And neighbor's love cat poop in their spinach.

BTW, what does every think about this outdoor enclosure for cats?
petstreetmall.com/KittyWalk-Cat-Enclosures/4878.html