PDA

View Full Version : Churchill's Lessons of History


Mack A. Damia
October 28th 12, 09:37 PM
I had unsubscribed but decided to come back. I'm not going to engage
in flame wars. I noted more than a few replies to my thead; I posted
it as a clever joke. I'm not the only one who thinks Romney is
evasive about how he's going to pay for all the money problems our
nation has. I'm an ordinary citizen, and I want what is best for all
of us.

Anyway, being a Brit, I have always admired Churchill, and I know some
of you will be interested in his "Lessons of History".

Read and heed:

1. Despite the importance of doing so, we do not learn from history.

2. Science and technology cannot immunize us from history's lessons.

3. Freedom, which Americans believe is longed for by people
worldwide, is not a globally shared value. By contrast, desire for
power, whether wielded as a despot, or as a benevolent empire or
superpower, is a universal value.

4. Known as the cradle of civilization, the Middle East has also been
the graveyard of empires, no matter what their intention, as the
Romans and so many others have learned.

5. America will experience the same ultimate destiny as the memorable
democracies, republics, and superpowers of the past.

6. Religion and spirituality—and the lust for power—are the most
profound motivators in history.

7. Nations and empires rise and fall not because of anonymous social
and economic forces but because of decisions made by individuals.

8. A true statesman possesses four qualities: a bedrock of
principles, a moral compass, a vision, and the ability to build
consensus to achieve that vision.

BTW, Churchill loved cats:

http://www.winstonchurchill.org/support/the-churchill-centre/publications/finest-hour/issues-109-to-144/no-139/837-churchills-feline-menagerie

--

Bill Graham
October 29th 12, 07:34 AM
Mack A. Damia wrote:
> I had unsubscribed but decided to come back. I'm not going to engage
> in flame wars.....

How the hell can you avoid them? If I post that 2 + 2 = 4 on this forum,
there will appear some ass hole who gives me an argument about it.

Mack A. Damia
October 29th 12, 07:56 AM
On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 23:34:19 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>Mack A. Damia wrote:
>> I had unsubscribed but decided to come back. I'm not going to engage
>> in flame wars.....
>
>How the hell can you avoid them? If I post that 2 + 2 = 4 on this forum,
>there will appear some ass hole who gives me an argument about it.

Nah, it's the name-calling and descent into personal attacks that I
want to avoid. Somebody insults me personally, then I will insult
them, because they are not worth a rational debate. Just my personal
feelings; I know there are those that thrive on flame wars, and
depending on the group, I might participate if I get disgusted enough.

--

Bill Graham
October 30th 12, 09:04 PM
Mack A. Damia wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 23:34:19 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
> wrote:
>
>> Mack A. Damia wrote:
>>> I had unsubscribed but decided to come back. I'm not going to
>>> engage in flame wars.....
>>
>> How the hell can you avoid them? If I post that 2 + 2 = 4 on this
>> forum, there will appear some ass hole who gives me an argument
>> about it.
>
> Nah, it's the name-calling and descent into personal attacks that I
> want to avoid. Somebody insults me personally, then I will insult
> them, because they are not worth a rational debate. Just my personal
> feelings; I know there are those that thrive on flame wars, and
> depending on the group, I might participate if I get disgusted enough.

In the long run, it is a waste of time. No one has ever been convinced of
anything by being insulted. If you are trying to conmvince someone that your
point of vies is valid, only continue to do so with rational arguments.
Beyoned that, you are much better off just terminating the discussion and
pick up some other subject to discuss with someone else. I sit here and try
to give people the knowlege I have picked up during my 77 years of living.
But if they don't want to learn anything from me, there is no reason why I
should waste my time with them. Certainly screaming, "YOU IDIOT!!" at them
can't accomplish any purpose whatsoever. Far better to just state what you
have to say, and then bow out.

Bill Graham
October 31st 12, 11:39 PM
Someone said:

I'm not the only one who thinks Romney is
>> evasive about how he's going to pay for all the money problems our
>> nation has.

Of course he's, "evasive". Nobody can possibly get rid of a 16+ trillion
dollar debt in 8 years or less. He's evasive because he hasn't a clue how to
do the impossible, but the stupid voting public in this country will only be
happy with someone who tells them that he will be able to do just that. The
only thing worse than lying politicians is a voting public that forces them
to lie.....

Bill Graham
October 31st 12, 11:56 PM
FragSinatra wrote:
> Don't like CHristianity? Then **** off to a muslo-nazi state and never
> be bothered by Christians, Hindus, Jews, Bahais or Sikhs ever again.


How do I get away from all of them? Do you know what its like to have to
spend your whole life with a bunch of idiots that are willing to give their
lives for some non-existent boogy man in the sky? I keep running to one
hiding place or another hoping these idiots won't find and kill me as an
offering....

FragSinatra
November 1st 12, 12:27 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in
:

> FragSinatra wrote:
>> Don't like CHristianity? Then **** off to a muslo-nazi state and
>> never be bothered by Christians, Hindus, Jews, Bahais or Sikhs ever
>> again.
>
>
> How do I get away from all of them? Do you know what its like to have
> to spend your whole life with a bunch of idiots that are willing to
> give their lives for some non-existent boogy man in the sky? I keep
> running to one hiding place or another hoping these idiots won't find
> and kill me as an offering....
>

There's only ONE religion currently slaughtering, enslaving, raping
and kidnapping people of other faiths in the name of their death god all
over the world, today, in the here and now.

In Iran, one of the first groups rounded up and disappeared following the
Islamic Revolution were Communists.

I predict Christianity will be completely eradicated from the Mid-East
and N. Africa sometime this century, w/the possible exception being Israel.

Anyone who thinks Islam is at all peaceful or tolerant should try wearing
a kippah and tallits publicly in any Islamic state. They better make sure
their life insurance is paid up and their will made out first.

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

Bill Graham
November 1st 12, 01:38 AM
FragSinatra wrote:
> "Bill Graham" > wrote in
> :
>
>> FragSinatra wrote:
>>> Don't like CHristianity? Then **** off to a muslo-nazi state and
>>> never be bothered by Christians, Hindus, Jews, Bahais or Sikhs ever
>>> again.
>>
>>
>> How do I get away from all of them? Do you know what its like to have
>> to spend your whole life with a bunch of idiots that are willing to
>> give their lives for some non-existent boogy man in the sky? I keep
>> running to one hiding place or another hoping these idiots won't find
>> and kill me as an offering....
>>
>
> There's only ONE religion currently slaughtering, enslaving, raping
> and kidnapping people of other faiths in the name of their death god
> all over the world, today, in the here and now.
>
> In Iran, one of the first groups rounded up and disappeared following
> the Islamic Revolution were Communists.
>
> I predict Christianity will be completely eradicated from the Mid-East
> and N. Africa sometime this century, w/the possible exception being
> Israel.
>
> Anyone who thinks Islam is at all peaceful or tolerant should try
> wearing a kippah and tallits publicly in any Islamic state. They
> better make sure their life insurance is paid up and their will made
> out first.
I have no use for it either, but then, I have little use for any religion,
with the possible exception of those who support charitable efforts. On of
my favorite charities is also supported by the Catholics, I believe. In
general, religion has been responsible for most of the wars and mass
murderings on this planet since the dawn of mankind. Its death record is
onloy surpassed by its Gods, who, (presumably) have been around since they
created everything, and have been murdering the little creatures for
billions of years......

FragSinatra
November 1st 12, 08:54 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in
:

> FragSinatra wrote:
>> "Bill Graham" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> FragSinatra wrote:
>>>> Don't like CHristianity? Then **** off to a muslo-nazi state and
>>>> never be bothered by Christians, Hindus, Jews, Bahais or Sikhs ever
>>>> again.
>>>
>>>
>>> How do I get away from all of them? Do you know what its like to
>>> have to spend your whole life with a bunch of idiots that are
>>> willing to give their lives for some non-existent boogy man in the
>>> sky? I keep running to one hiding place or another hoping these
>>> idiots won't find and kill me as an offering....
>>>
>>
>> There's only ONE religion currently slaughtering, enslaving, raping
>> and kidnapping people of other faiths in the name of their death god
>> all over the world, today, in the here and now.
>>
>> In Iran, one of the first groups rounded up and disappeared following
>> the Islamic Revolution were Communists.
>>
>> I predict Christianity will be completely eradicated from the
>> Mid-East and N. Africa sometime this century, w/the possible
>> exception being Israel.
>>
>> Anyone who thinks Islam is at all peaceful or tolerant should try
>> wearing a kippah and tallits publicly in any Islamic state. They
>> better make sure their life insurance is paid up and their will made
>> out first.
> I have no use for it either, but then, I have little use for any
> religion, with the possible exception of those who support charitable
> efforts. On of my favorite charities is also supported by the
> Catholics, I believe. In general, religion has been responsible for
> most of the wars and mass murderings on this planet since the dawn of
> mankind. Its death record is onloy surpassed by its Gods, who,
> (presumably) have been around since they created everything, and have
> been murdering the little creatures for billions of years......
>
>

I can say with conviction that neither Yeshua nor Buddha EVER advocated
for the persecution or murder of anyone ever, much less had anyone
murdered in their name. All religions are not the same.

The Spanish Inqusition was a picnic in comparison to what the muslims
did and are doing in the Indian sub-continent.

Take a look at jihadwatch.com some day and read the daily litany of
islamic atrocities and persecution, the ones the MSM doesn't bother
to report.

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

cshenk
November 2nd 12, 12:17 AM
Sylvia M wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

>
> And this all has something to do about 'cats' or 'health'.
> I grant you 'behavior', but isn't there a political newsgroup ?

There is. They feel that they can do what they want. I KF'ed both.

--

Sylvia M[_5_]
November 2nd 12, 04:37 AM
"cshenk" > wrote in message
...
> Sylvia M wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:
>
>>
>> And this all has something to do about 'cats' or 'health'.
>> I grant you 'behavior', but isn't there a political newsgroup
>> ?
>
> There is. They feel that they can do what they want. I KF'ed
> both.
>
I'm 'Plonking' the group ...now.
Too bad, sometimes in the past I learned somethings about
cats.health+behavior

Bye fur now

Gandalf[_2_]
November 3rd 12, 08:19 AM
On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 18:17:50 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Sylvia M wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:
>
>>
>> And this all has something to do about 'cats' or 'health'.
>> I grant you 'behavior', but isn't there a political newsgroup ?
>
>There is. They feel that they can do what they want. I KF'ed both.

Me too. Sure cut down on the crap here.

Mack A. Damia
November 3rd 12, 12:14 PM
On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 01:19:52 -0600, Gandalf
<ingold1234(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 18:17:50 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>>Sylvia M wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:
>>
>>>
>>> And this all has something to do about 'cats' or 'health'.
>>> I grant you 'behavior', but isn't there a political newsgroup ?
>>
>>There is. They feel that they can do what they want.

We can.

>>I KF'ed both.

That's using your noodle for a refreshing change of pace.

>Me too. Sure cut down on the crap here.

"The Eclipse of Citizenship" by Robert Pranger

--

Mack A. Damia
November 6th 12, 08:15 PM
On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 15:56:27 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>FragSinatra wrote:
>> Don't like CHristianity? Then **** off to a muslo-nazi state and never
>> be bothered by Christians, Hindus, Jews, Bahais or Sikhs ever again.
>
>
>How do I get away from all of them? Do you know what its like to have to
>spend your whole life with a bunch of idiots that are willing to give their
>lives for some non-existent boogy man in the sky? I keep running to one
>hiding place or another hoping these idiots won't find and kill me as an
>offering....

I think of "God" as the totality of energy in the universe - awful,
omnipresent and omnipotent. It's the only way God makes sense to me,
and everything else falls into place if you consider that the Bible
was written for those who could not read, write or even think for
themselves.

--

Bill Graham
November 7th 12, 02:16 AM
Mack A. Damia wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 15:56:27 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
> wrote:
>
>> FragSinatra wrote:
>>> Don't like CHristianity? Then **** off to a muslo-nazi state and
>>> never be bothered by Christians, Hindus, Jews, Bahais or Sikhs ever
>>> again.
>>
>>
>> How do I get away from all of them? Do you know what its like to
>> have to spend your whole life with a bunch of idiots that are
>> willing to give their lives for some non-existent boogy man in the
>> sky? I keep running to one hiding place or another hoping these
>> idiots won't find and kill me as an offering....
>
> I think of "God" as the totality of energy in the universe - awful,
> omnipresent and omnipotent. It's the only way God makes sense to me,
> and everything else falls into place if you consider that the Bible
> was written for those who could not read, write or even think for
> themselves.

Well, they may have learned to read and write, but they still have a lot of
problems thinking for themselves......

Mack A. Damia
November 7th 12, 02:45 AM
On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 17:16:29 -0800, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>Mack A. Damia wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 15:56:27 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> FragSinatra wrote:
>>>> Don't like CHristianity? Then **** off to a muslo-nazi state and
>>>> never be bothered by Christians, Hindus, Jews, Bahais or Sikhs ever
>>>> again.
>>>
>>>
>>> How do I get away from all of them? Do you know what its like to
>>> have to spend your whole life with a bunch of idiots that are
>>> willing to give their lives for some non-existent boogy man in the
>>> sky? I keep running to one hiding place or another hoping these
>>> idiots won't find and kill me as an offering....
>>
>> I think of "God" as the totality of energy in the universe - awful,
>> omnipresent and omnipotent. It's the only way God makes sense to me,
>> and everything else falls into place if you consider that the Bible
>> was written for those who could not read, write or even think for
>> themselves.
>
>Well, they may have learned to read and write, but they still have a lot of
>problems thinking for themselves......

Only in the red states.

--

FragSinatra
November 7th 12, 05:56 AM
Mack A. Damia > wrote in
:

> On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 17:16:29 -0800, "Bill Graham" >
> wrote:
>
>>Mack A. Damia wrote:
>>> On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 15:56:27 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> FragSinatra wrote:
>>>>> Don't like CHristianity? Then **** off to a muslo-nazi state and
>>>>> never be bothered by Christians, Hindus, Jews, Bahais or Sikhs
>>>>> ever again.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> How do I get away from all of them? Do you know what its like to
>>>> have to spend your whole life with a bunch of idiots that are
>>>> willing to give their lives for some non-existent boogy man in the
>>>> sky? I keep running to one hiding place or another hoping these
>>>> idiots won't find and kill me as an offering....
>>>
>>> I think of "God" as the totality of energy in the universe - awful,
>>> omnipresent and omnipotent. It's the only way God makes sense to
>>> me, and everything else falls into place if you consider that the
>>> Bible was written for those who could not read, write or even think
>>> for themselves.
>>
>>Well, they may have learned to read and write, but they still have a
>>lot of problems thinking for themselves......
>
> Only in the red states.
>

And all islamo-fascist states dickweed.

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---