PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Raw

Jesse
February 6th 13, 06:57 PM
I'm rather new to Usenet and I am a member of several raw feeding
groups on Yahoo! and the like and was wondering how many people in the
usenet community are also raw feeders.

If you are a raw feeder what are the most common things you feed to
your feline friends?

Cheers,
Jesse

dgk
February 7th 13, 06:11 PM
On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 12:57:54 -0600, Jesse
> wrote:

>I'm rather new to Usenet and I am a member of several raw feeding
>groups on Yahoo! and the like and was wondering how many people in the
>usenet community are also raw feeders.
>
>If you are a raw feeder what are the most common things you feed to
>your feline friends?
>
>Cheers,
>Jesse

I tried the raw diet but my cats really don't like it, as in, they'd
rather starve to death.

Jesse
February 8th 13, 06:14 PM
On 2013-02-07 18:11:58 +0000, dgk said:

> On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 12:57:54 -0600, Jesse
> > wrote:
>
>> I'm rather new to Usenet and I am a member of several raw feeding
>> groups on Yahoo! and the like and was wondering how many people in the
>> usenet community are also raw feeders.
>>
>> If you are a raw feeder what are the most common things you feed to
>> your feline friends?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jesse
>
> I tried the raw diet but my cats really don't like it, as in, they'd
> rather starve to death.

What were you feeding? I've never had a problem getting my felines to
eat what I offer. Occassionally they will turn their noses up at very
red meats like beef, goat, mutton, but otherwise are doing great eating
chicken, rabbit, beaver, quail, alpaca, and llama.

Also, how were you serving it? Was it room temperature and was the
meat fresh? That plays a big part in whether or not they'll be
interested.

Cheers,
Jesse

Bill Graham
February 8th 13, 10:12 PM
Jesse wrote:
> On 2013-02-07 18:11:58 +0000, dgk said:
>
>> On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 12:57:54 -0600, Jesse
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I'm rather new to Usenet and I am a member of several raw feeding
>>> groups on Yahoo! and the like and was wondering how many people in
>>> the usenet community are also raw feeders.
>>>
>>> If you are a raw feeder what are the most common things you feed to
>>> your feline friends?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jesse
>>
>> I tried the raw diet but my cats really don't like it, as in, they'd
>> rather starve to death.
>
> What were you feeding? I've never had a problem getting my felines to
> eat what I offer. Occassionally they will turn their noses up at very
> red meats like beef, goat, mutton, but otherwise are doing great
> eating chicken, rabbit, beaver, quail, alpaca, and llama.
>
> Also, how were you serving it? Was it room temperature and was the
> meat fresh? That plays a big part in whether or not they'll be
> interested.
>
> Cheers,
> Jesse

My cats like checken, and when I cook it just for them, I pull it a little
early so it is only half cooked. But otherwise, They like their meat cooked.
I would worry about salmonella and parisites were I to feed them a
completely raw diet.

Bill Graham
February 8th 13, 10:17 PM
Bill Graham wrote:
> Jesse wrote:
>> On 2013-02-07 18:11:58 +0000, dgk said:
>>
>>> On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 12:57:54 -0600, Jesse

>>> I tried the raw diet but my cats really don't like it, as in, they'd
>>> rather starve to death.
>>
>> What were you feeding? I've never had a problem getting my felines
>> to eat what I offer. Occassionally they will turn their noses up at
>> very red meats like beef, goat, mutton, but otherwise are doing great
>> eating chicken, rabbit, beaver, quail, alpaca, and llama.
>>
>> Also, how were you serving it? Was it room temperature and was the
>> meat fresh? That plays a big part in whether or not they'll be
>> interested.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jesse
>
> My cats like checken, and when I cook it just for them, I pull it a
> little early so it is only half cooked. But otherwise, They like
> their meat cooked. I would worry about salmonella and parisites were
> I to feed them a completely raw diet.

My cats are also all outside cats, and we feed possums, bitds, recoons, and
squirrls on our back porch, so I would discourage the cats from killing, or
attempting to kill these other animals for food. They get along with these
critters pretty well partly because they don't compete for the same food.
Teaching them to eat raw food might endanger that situation.....

February 12th 13, 04:48 PM
Hi Jesse,

Have you visited this website: http://catinfo.org/ It is an excellent reference about feeding raw food and feline nutrition in general.

I have fed raw, both using the recipe on the website alone and feeding commercially prepared brands. If you are going to make your own raw, please use a balanced recipe! Cats need certain nutrients and just feeding, for instance, a raw chicken breast, isn't going to provide the nutrients they need daily.

Rene

Jesse
February 14th 13, 09:49 PM
On 2013-02-12 16:48:48 +0000, said:

> Hi Jesse,
>
> Have you visited this website: http://catinfo.org/ It is an excellent
> reference about feeding raw food and feline nutrition in general.
>
> I have fed raw, both using the recipe on the website alone and feeding
> commercially prepared brands. If you are going to make your own raw,
> please use a balanced recipe! Cats need certain nutrients and just
> feeding, for instance, a raw chicken breast, isn't going to provide the
> nutrients they need daily.
>
> Rene

Rene,

I'm a long time raw feeder so I've read over catinfo.org a few times.
We feed a very balanced diet including a lot of "whole ground" animals
so they are getting all of the organs, skin, fat, etc. I also give
them extra heart meat for taurine and try to get as much liver into
them as I can, though they still very much dislike liver overall
(unless it is freeze dried).

Cheers,
Jesse

Jesse
February 14th 13, 09:51 PM
On 2013-02-08 22:12:03 +0000, Bill Graham said:

> Jesse wrote:
>> On 2013-02-07 18:11:58 +0000, dgk said:
>>
>>> On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 12:57:54 -0600, Jesse

>>> I tried the raw diet but my cats really don't like it, as in, they'd
>>> rather starve to death.
>>
>> What were you feeding? I've never had a problem getting my felines to
>> eat what I offer. Occassionally they will turn their noses up at very
>> red meats like beef, goat, mutton, but otherwise are doing great
>> eating chicken, rabbit, beaver, quail, alpaca, and llama.
>>
>> Also, how were you serving it? Was it room temperature and was the
>> meat fresh? That plays a big part in whether or not they'll be
>> interested.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jesse
>
> My cats like checken, and when I cook it just for them, I pull it a
> little early so it is only half cooked. But otherwise, They like their
> meat cooked. I would worry about salmonella and parisites were I to
> feed them a completely raw diet.

Bill,

For indepth information as to why bacteria is not a concern please see
the "isn't feeding raw dangerous" section of http://rawfed.com. It has
a wealth of excellent information.

Cheers,
Jesse

February 15th 13, 04:57 PM
> I'm a long time raw feeder so I've read over catinfo.org a few times.
>
> We feed a very balanced diet including a lot of "whole ground" animals
>
> so they are getting all of the organs, skin, fat, etc. I also give
>
> them extra heart meat for taurine and try to get as much liver into
>
> them as I can, though they still very much dislike liver overall
>
> (unless it is freeze dried).

That is wonderful to hear, Jesse! You're doing all the right things. I wish I could feed raw more often in our household. Our oldest cat pukes up the raw, no matter what brand or recipe I use, so I've resorted to grain-free canned instead.

Jesse
February 15th 13, 09:12 PM
On 2013-02-15 16:57:27 +0000, said:

>> I'm a long time raw feeder so I've read over catinfo.org a few times.
>>
>> We feed a very balanced diet including a lot of "whole ground" animals
>>
>> so they are getting all of the organs, skin, fat, etc. I also give
>>
>> them extra heart meat for taurine and try to get as much liver into
>>
>> them as I can, though they still very much dislike liver overall
>>
>> (unless it is freeze dried).
>
> That is wonderful to hear, Jesse! You're doing all the right things. I
> wish I could feed raw more often in our household. Our oldest cat pukes
> up the raw, no matter what brand or recipe I use, so I've resorted to
> grain-free canned instead.

What kind of meats are you feeding? One of my cats cannot eat dark red
meats like Beef, Goat, etc. and will puke it up every time. Some
proteins just don't agree with all animals. Chicken, Pork, and Rabbit
tend to be well liked (and easily tolerated) by most cats.

I've also had luck getting friends and aquantinaces switched to raw by
using digestive enzymes. It is possible that since our feline friends
are eating cooked meals all the time they are lacking some of the
necessary enzymes they need to break down and process raw meats.

Cheers,
Jesse

Bill Graham
February 17th 13, 01:04 AM
wrote:
>> I'm a long time raw feeder so I've read over catinfo.org a few times.
>>
>> We feed a very balanced diet including a lot of "whole ground"
>> animals
>>
>> so they are getting all of the organs, skin, fat, etc. I also give
>>
>> them extra heart meat for taurine and try to get as much liver into
>>
>> them as I can, though they still very much dislike liver overall
>>
>> (unless it is freeze dried).
>
> That is wonderful to hear, Jesse! You're doing all the right things.
> I wish I could feed raw more often in our household. Our oldest cat
> pukes up the raw, no matter what brand or recipe I use, so I've
> resorted to grain-free canned instead.

Personally, I love liver, but I insist that it be cooked! Mashed up cooked
chicken livers with mayonaise and onion salt makes a great sandwich.....

Bill Graham
February 17th 13, 01:10 AM
Jesse wrote:
> On 2013-02-15 16:57:27 +0000, said:
>

>>> I'm a long time raw feeder so I've read over catinfo.org a few
>>> times. We feed a very balanced diet including a lot of "whole ground"
>>> animals so they are getting all of the organs, skin, fat, etc. I also
>>> give
>>>
>>> them extra heart meat for taurine and try to get as much liver into
>>>
>>> them as I can, though they still very much dislike liver overall
>>>
>>> (unless it is freeze dried).
>>
>> That is wonderful to hear, Jesse! You're doing all the right things.
>> I wish I could feed raw more often in our household. Our oldest cat
>> pukes up the raw, no matter what brand or recipe I use, so I've
>> resorted to grain-free canned instead.
>
> What kind of meats are you feeding? One of my cats cannot eat dark
> red meats like Beef, Goat, etc. and will puke it up every time. Some
> proteins just don't agree with all animals. Chicken, Pork, and Rabbit
> tend to be well liked (and easily tolerated) by most cats.
>
> I've also had luck getting friends and aquantinaces switched to raw by
> using digestive enzymes. It is possible that since our feline friends
> are eating cooked meals all the time they are lacking some of the
> necessary enzymes they need to break down and process raw meats.
>
> Cheers,
> Jesse

Well, You have to remember that for millions of years cats killed and ate
small animals like swuirrls and mice and rabbits rqw, but they seldom got to
eat cows and goats. So it is possible that they lost the ability to process
the meat from those larger beasts. Some of my cats can't taste the heat in
jalapenos and other peppers for the same reason. Not being vegitarians, they
haven't got the taste buds that allow them to taste the heat. These animals
developed for millions of years before we humans came along and made pets
out of them.

February 18th 13, 05:07 PM
> What kind of meats are you feeding? One of my cats cannot eat dark red
>
> meats like Beef, Goat, etc. and will puke it up every time. Some
>
> proteins just don't agree with all animals. Chicken, Pork, and Rabbit
>
> tend to be well liked (and easily tolerated) by most cats.

I tried ground turkey, ground chicken, venison, and rabbit--some commercial meats, some from a butcher, specially prepared. I would not feed pork due to the possible risk of trichonysis (sp).