PDA

View Full Version : Second cat to help my big one exercise?


March 1st 13, 10:43 PM
My cat is 9 and overweight. The doctor said he needs to lose weight or could get diabetes. He's an indoor cat and gets bored of any new game quickly.. He's already been on the diet food. Would a new kitten help encourage him to move around and get some exercise? He could use some company as well

Mack A. Damia
March 1st 13, 11:02 PM
On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 14:43:22 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>My cat is 9 and overweight. The doctor said he needs to lose weight or could get diabetes. He's an indoor cat and gets bored of any new game quickly. He's already been on the diet food. Would a new kitten help encourage him to move around and get some exercise? He could use some company as well

This is something that is a concern of mine.

I have had Pookie for just over two years, so she is about 2-1/2 years
old and is terribly overweight. Pookie was never much of a playful
kitten, either. She had a few days of homelessness in her, and I
believe that tends to dampen their playfulness.

I just got Bubba this past January. What a personality - and she
makes me laugh! She chases Pookie, and Pookie chases her, but I
haven't seen any change in Pookie's weight. I had hoped that another
cat would help.

But I feed them too much. I have a bowl of dried catfood down for
them and give them 1/4 can Fancy Feast twice a day. Every time I go
into the kitchen, there they are - expecting to be fed. I feel guilty
eating without giving them something.

--

Bill Graham
March 2nd 13, 01:18 AM
wrote:
> My cat is 9 and overweight. The doctor said he needs to lose weight
> or could get diabetes. He's an indoor cat and gets bored of any new
> game quickly. He's already been on the diet food. Would a new
> kitten help encourage him to move around and get some exercise? He
> could use some company as well

I don't know about you, but the other cats being around just contribute to
mo overweight cats problem. He eats his own food, as well as whatever the
other cats leave in their bowls after they are done eating. We have 5 cats,
and Tiger can't be isolated from the others and fed se[perately because they
are all outside cats and can come and go wherever they please whenever they
please. If you have just one cat, then you can ration his food and don;t
have my problem so I think you are right now in the best position to control
his diet, and getting another cat will just complicate your ability to
control his diet. I am not a diet expert, but I wold suggest that ou get a
scale, and weigh everything he eats and write it down so you will firstly
know exactly what he is eating and how much of it he eats. Then consult with
a ver as to how to ct back on his diet without compromising his health.
Since he is an inside cat and the only one, you have control, so you might
as well use it.

Bill Graham
March 2nd 13, 01:19 AM
Mack A. Damia wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 14:43:22 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>> My cat is 9 and overweight. The doctor said he needs to lose weight
>> or could get diabetes. He's an indoor cat and gets bored of any new
>> game quickly. He's already been on the diet food. Would a new
>> kitten help encourage him to move around and get some exercise? He
>> could use some company as well
>
> This is something that is a concern of mine.
>
> I have had Pookie for just over two years, so she is about 2-1/2 years
> old and is terribly overweight. Pookie was never much of a playful
> kitten, either. She had a few days of homelessness in her, and I
> believe that tends to dampen their playfulness.
>
> I just got Bubba this past January. What a personality - and she
> makes me laugh! She chases Pookie, and Pookie chases her, but I
> haven't seen any change in Pookie's weight. I had hoped that another
> cat would help.
>
> But I feed them too much. I have a bowl of dried catfood down for
> them and give them 1/4 can Fancy Feast twice a day. Every time I go
> into the kitchen, there they are - expecting to be fed. I feel guilty
> eating without giving them something.

Looks like your cats are putting you on a diet!

dgk
March 4th 13, 04:22 PM
On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 15:02:34 -0800, Mack A. Damia
> wrote:

>On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 14:43:22 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:
>
>>My cat is 9 and overweight. The doctor said he needs to lose weight or could get diabetes. He's an indoor cat and gets bored of any new game quickly. He's already been on the diet food. Would a new kitten help encourage him to move around and get some exercise? He could use some company as well
>
>This is something that is a concern of mine.
>
>I have had Pookie for just over two years, so she is about 2-1/2 years
>old and is terribly overweight. Pookie was never much of a playful
>kitten, either. She had a few days of homelessness in her, and I
>believe that tends to dampen their playfulness.
>
>I just got Bubba this past January. What a personality - and she
>makes me laugh! She chases Pookie, and Pookie chases her, but I
>haven't seen any change in Pookie's weight. I had hoped that another
>cat would help.
>
>But I feed them too much. I have a bowl of dried catfood down for
>them and give them 1/4 can Fancy Feast twice a day. Every time I go
>into the kitchen, there they are - expecting to be fed. I feel guilty
>eating without giving them something.

Some cats are just fat. My Marlo is. She is a small cat but pretty fat
and I can't do much about it without feeding them separately and
trying to keep her from the food. I play with her but she always
thinks that any meal might be her last.

Buddy's Mom
March 5th 13, 11:07 AM
On Friday, March 1, 2013 5:43:22 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> My cat is 9 and overweight. The doctor said he needs to lose weight or could get diabetes. He's an indoor cat and gets bored of any new game quickly.. He's already been on the diet food. Would a new kitten help encourage him to move around and get some exercise? He could use some company as well

Cats should not have carbs - get rid of the hard food. Carbs will add to the chance of your cat getting diabetes as much as being overweight will. Just feed your cat the appropriate amount of canned food and water and he will lose weight.

chaniarts[_2_]
March 5th 13, 08:01 PM
On 3/5/2013 4:07 AM, Buddy's Mom wrote:
> On Friday, March 1, 2013 5:43:22 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>> My cat is 9 and overweight. The doctor said he needs to lose weight or could get diabetes. He's an indoor cat and gets bored of any new game quickly. He's already been on the diet food. Would a new kitten help encourage him to move around and get some exercise? He could use some company as well
>
> Cats should not have carbs - get rid of the hard food. Carbs will add to the chance of your cat getting diabetes as much as being overweight will. Just feed your cat the appropriate amount of canned food and water and he will lose weight.
>

there are carbs in canned food also.

Bill Graham
March 6th 13, 12:21 AM
chaniarts wrote:
> On 3/5/2013 4:07 AM, Buddy's Mom wrote:
>> On Friday, March 1, 2013 5:43:22 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>>> My cat is 9 and overweight. The doctor said he needs to lose weight
>>> or could get diabetes. He's an indoor cat and gets bored of any new
>>> game quickly. He's already been on the diet food. Would a new
>>> kitten help encourage him to move around and get some exercise? He
>>> could use some company as well
>>
>> Cats should not have carbs - get rid of the hard food. Carbs will
>> add to the chance of your cat getting diabetes as much as being
>> overweight will. Just feed your cat the appropriate amount of
>> canned food and water and he will lose weight.
>
> there are carbs in canned food also.

Also, if you have multiple cats, it isn;t easy to isolate them and make sure
they all get the appropriate amount of food. I have five, and they are all,
"outside cats". I can't control what they all eat. Now, if I were running a
zoo, then I would have such control, but I am not. I take in strtays, and
give them the best care I can afford, includeing regular vet visits, but
there is a limit to how far I can go in their care. I plead my case by
saying that had I not taken them in, they would probably be dead by now. I
love cats, and hate to see them suffer. Were I Bill Gates, I would have a
huge cat farm, where I took care of thousands of neutered and well cared for
cats. But I am not that wealthy. I sometimew wonder what those multi
billionaires do with their money. They sure don't do what I would do with it
if I had it..... How can they sit on their 100 million dollar yachts sipping
their martini's when there are so many small furry creatures freezing and
starving to death every Winter?

Buddy's Mom
March 6th 13, 11:04 AM
There are no carbs in Fancy Feast turkey - you have to read the labels

On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 3:01:25 PM UTC-5, chaniarts wrote:
> On 3/5/2013 4:07 AM, Buddy's Mom wrote: > On Friday, March 1, 2013 5:43:22 PM UTC-5, wrote: >> My cat is 9 and overweight. The doctor said he needs to lose weight or could get diabetes. He's an indoor cat and gets bored of any new game quickly. He's already been on the diet food. Would a new kitten help encourage him to move around and get some exercise? He could use some company as well > > Cats should not have carbs - get rid of the hard food. Carbs will add to the chance of your cat getting diabetes as much as being overweight will. Just feed your cat the appropriate amount of canned food and water and he will lose weight. > there are carbs in canned food also.