PDA

View Full Version : Diabetic Cat question

March 4th 13, 12:10 AM
I have a diabetic cat who was diagnosed last week. We have been giving him insulin shots twice a day. His litter mate, a female (both are 8 years old) has been hissing and growling at him since we returned from the vets. They both went to the vets for their regular checkups, so its not like he came home from the vets to a cat that hadn't gone. My question is, can the insulin make a cat "smell" different, that would cause the hissing/growling? My vet had never heard of anything like this. I would love for this to stop as they have always been very affectionate toward each other. The only time they ever did this is when one went to the vets and the other stayed home.

Bill Graham
March 4th 13, 06:06 AM
wrote:
> I have a diabetic cat who was diagnosed last week. We have been
> giving him insulin shots twice a day. His litter mate, a female
> (both are 8 years old) has been hissing and growling at him since we
> returned from the vets. They both went to the vets for their regular
> checkups, so its not like he came home from the vets to a cat that
> hadn't gone. My question is, can the insulin make a cat "smell"
> different, that would cause the hissing/growling? My vet had never
> heard of anything like this. I would love for this to stop as they
> have always been very affectionate toward each other. The only time
> they ever did this is when one went to the vets and the other stayed
> home.

Must be smell. I have heard of chemicals made by a diabertic system, such as
acetone, but I am not a medical person, so I donlt remember where I learned
of this. You'd think the vet would know. Check out your search engine.....

Bill Graham
March 4th 13, 06:14 AM
Bill Graham wrote:
> wrote:
>> I have a diabetic cat who was diagnosed last week. We have been
>> giving him insulin shots twice a day. His litter mate, a female
>> (both are 8 years old) has been hissing and growling at him since we
>> returned from the vets. They both went to the vets for their regular
>> checkups, so its not like he came home from the vets to a cat that
>> hadn't gone. My question is, can the insulin make a cat "smell"
>> different, that would cause the hissing/growling? My vet had never
>> heard of anything like this. I would love for this to stop as they
>> have always been very affectionate toward each other. The only time
>> they ever did this is when one went to the vets and the other stayed
>> home.
>
> Must be smell. I have heard of chemicals made by a diabertic system,
> such as acetone, but I am not a medical person, so I donlt remember
> where I learned of this. You'd think the vet would know. Check out
> your search engine.....

http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/symptoms/constant_foul_mouth_odor/diabetes.htm

March 5th 13, 07:35 PM
This sounds like a classic case of mis-directed aggression. Even though they both went to the vets, the other cat was upset at making the trip and lashed out at the diabetic cat.

I'd suggest that you separate them when you return from a vet trip, no matter if one or both went. Put the aggressive cat in a room after you get back and separate them for a few hours. We do this with our oldest cat for a similar reason and it really makes a difference.

IBen Getiner[_3_]
March 27th 13, 07:06 AM
On Mar 3, 8:10*pm, wrote:
> I have a diabetic cat who was diagnosed last week. *We have been giving him insulin shots twice a day. *His litter mate, a female (both are 8 years old) has been hissing and growling at him since we returned from the vets. *They both went to the vets for their regular checkups, so its not like he came home from the vets to a cat that hadn't gone. *My question is, can the insulin make a cat "smell" different, that would cause the hissing/growling? *My vet had never heard of anything like this. *I would love for this to stop as they have always been very affectionate toward each other. *The only time they ever did this is when one went to the vets and the other stayed home.

How come you let it get fat.....?

dgk
March 27th 13, 02:22 PM
On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 00:06:33 -0700 (PDT), IBen Getiner
> wrote:

>On Mar 3, 8:10*pm, wrote:
>> I have a diabetic cat who was diagnosed last week. *We have been giving him insulin shots twice a day. *His litter mate, a female (both are 8 years old) has been hissing and growling at him since we returned from the vets. *They both went to the vets for their regular checkups, so its not like he came home from the vets to a cat that hadn't gone. *My question is, can the insulin make a cat "smell" different, that would cause the hissing/growling? *My vet had never heard of anything like this. *I would love for this to stop as they have always been very affectionate toward each other. *The only time they ever did this is when one went to the vets and the other stayed home.
>
>How come you let it get fat.....?

I have a fat cat. Three of my cats were grazers, they would eat a bit,
leave, come back for more later. One would eat as much as she could
like there might never be another meal. So what can I do? I leave out
the food so the others can graze and Marlo eats too much and gets fat.

We play and try to keep her active. But she gets fat even if she
doesn't eat more than the others. Some cats, like some people, just
get fat.

I have a cousin who was obese and recently (over a two year period)
lost maybe 140 lbs. She's now pretty normal size but has to eat almost
nothing to avoid gaining weight. There is just something about her
metabolism that causes her to gain weight. If she eats what I eat,
she'd be right back where she was before.

But if you really want to lose weight, don't eat meat. I know quite a
few vegetarians and none over overweight.

Bill Graham
March 27th 13, 09:09 PM
IBen Getiner wrote:
> On Mar 3, 8:10 pm, wrote:
>> I have a diabetic cat who was diagnosed last week. We have been
>> giving him insulin shots twice a day. His litter mate, a female
>> (both are 8 years old) has been hissing and growling at him since we
>> returned from the vets. They both went to the vets for their regular
>> checkups, so its not like he came home from the vets to a cat that
>> hadn't gone. My question is, can the insulin make a cat "smell"
>> different, that would cause the hissing/growling? My vet had never
>> heard of anything like this. I would love for this to stop as they
>> have always been very affectionate toward each other. The only time
>> they ever did this is when one went to the vets and the other stayed
>> home.
>
> How come you let it get fat.....?

Not all fat cats are diabetic, nor are all diabetic cats fat. We just
acquired one that is unusually thin because of a thyroid problem. We may
have his thyroid removed, which is a relatively simple operation with cats
and they usually don't need it like we humans do. They can do without
medication after this operation.

Bill Graham
March 27th 13, 09:14 PM
dgk wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 00:06:33 -0700 (PDT), IBen Getiner
> > wrote:
>
>> On Mar 3, 8:10 pm, wrote:
>>> I have a diabetic cat who was diagnosed last week. We have been
>>> giving him insulin shots twice a day. His litter mate, a female
>>> (both are 8 years old) has been hissing and growling at him since
>>> we returned from the vets. They both went to the vets for their
>>> regular checkups, so its not like he came home from the vets to a
>>> cat that hadn't gone. My question is, can the insulin make a cat
>>> "smell" different, that would cause the hissing/growling? My vet
>>> had never heard of anything like this. I would love for this to
>>> stop as they have always been very affectionate toward each other.
>>> The only time they ever did this is when one went to the vets and
>>> the other stayed home.
>>
>> How come you let it get fat.....?
>
> I have a fat cat. Three of my cats were grazers, they would eat a bit,
> leave, come back for more later. One would eat as much as she could
> like there might never be another meal. So what can I do? I leave out
> the food so the others can graze and Marlo eats too much and gets fat.
>
> We play and try to keep her active. But she gets fat even if she
> doesn't eat more than the others. Some cats, like some people, just
> get fat.
>

> I have a cousin who was obese and recently (over a two year period)
> lost maybe 140 lbs. She's now pretty normal size but has to eat almost
> nothing to avoid gaining weight. There is just something about her
> metabolism that causes her to gain weight. If she eats what I eat,
> she'd be right back where she was before.
>
> But if you really want to lose weight, don't eat meat. I know quite a
> few vegetarians and none over overweight.

Most of the vegns I know live on sweets. They may start out eating right,
but their eating habits frequently end up being very bad. It is a lot of
work, going without meat....

Bill Graham
March 28th 13, 08:10 PM
On Mar 3, 8:10 pm, wrote:
> I have a diabetic cat who was diagnosed last week. We have been giving him
> insulin shots twice a day. His litter mate, a female (both are 8 years
> old) has been hissing and growling at him since we returned from the vets.
> They both went to the vets for their regular checkups, so its not like he
> came home from the vets to a cat that hadn't gone. My question is, can the
> insulin make a cat "smell" different, that would cause the
> hissing/growling? My vet had never heard of anything like this. I would
> love for this to stop as they have always been very affectionate toward
> each other. The only time they ever did this is when one went to the vets
> and the other stayed home.

It could be that the other cat had a bad experience at the vet, and,
smelling the vet on the other cat, associated the smell with the bad
experience, and blames his friend for it. give it some time, and the memory
will fade away....

dgk
March 29th 13, 06:13 PM
On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 14:14:44 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>dgk wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 00:06:33 -0700 (PDT), IBen Getiner
>> > wrote:

>>> How come you let it get fat.....?
>>
>> I have a fat cat. Three of my cats were grazers, they would eat a bit,
>> leave, come back for more later. One would eat as much as she could
>> like there might never be another meal. So what can I do? I leave out
>> the food so the others can graze and Marlo eats too much and gets fat.
>>
>> We play and try to keep her active. But she gets fat even if she
>> doesn't eat more than the others. Some cats, like some people, just
>> get fat.
>>

>> I have a cousin who was obese and recently (over a two year period)
>> lost maybe 140 lbs. She's now pretty normal size but has to eat almost
>> nothing to avoid gaining weight. There is just something about her
>> metabolism that causes her to gain weight. If she eats what I eat,
>> she'd be right back where she was before.
>>
>> But if you really want to lose weight, don't eat meat. I know quite a
>> few vegetarians and none over overweight.
>
>Most of the vegns I know live on sweets. They may start out eating right,
>but their eating habits frequently end up being very bad. It is a lot of
>work, going without meat....

There's a big difference between vegetarian and vegan. Vegan is much
much tougher. But the folks I know who are vegetarians do pretty well.
They eat like I do but just don't use meat. I'm trying to eat less
meat but it's tough because I hate vegetables.

Bill Graham
March 29th 13, 08:47 PM
dgk wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 14:14:44 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
> wrote:
>
>> dgk wrote:
>>> On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 00:06:33 -0700 (PDT), IBen Getiner

>>> I have a fat cat. Three of my cats were grazers, they would eat a
>>> bit, leave, come back for more later. One would eat as much as she
>>> could like there might never be another meal. So what can I do? I
>>> leave out the food so the others can graze and Marlo eats too much
>>> and gets fat.
>>>
>>> We play and try to keep her active. But she gets fat even if she
>>> doesn't eat more than the others. Some cats, like some people, just
>>> get fat.
>>>

>>> I have a cousin who was obese and recently (over a two year period)
>>> lost maybe 140 lbs. She's now pretty normal size but has to eat
>>> almost nothing to avoid gaining weight. There is just something
>>> about her metabolism that causes her to gain weight. If she eats
>>> what I eat, she'd be right back where she was before.
>>>
>>> But if you really want to lose weight, don't eat meat. I know quite
>>> a few vegetarians and none over overweight.
>>
>> Most of the vegns I know live on sweets. They may start out eating
>> right, but their eating habits frequently end up being very bad. It
>> is a lot of work, going without meat....
>
> There's a big difference between vegetarian and vegan. Vegan is much
> much tougher. But the folks I know who are vegetarians do pretty well.
> They eat like I do but just don't use meat. I'm trying to eat less
> meat but it's tough because I hate vegetables.Yes. I donlt care for them
> much myself. But I like spicey foods, so veggies stir fried orientle style
> are OK. I figure that if you put enough butter and sugar on cardboard, it
> tasts pretty good. Also, stuff like avacados and artichokes qualify as
> veggies. Try avacado's cut up with grapefruit sections with salad dressing
> poured on.... I could OD on that stuff anytime. Also try pickling veggies
> yourself. All you need is vinegar with a little salt and sugar, and a jar
> and you can pickle anything. (I haven't tried cardboard yet) Wait sis
> weeks before you eat anyghing yuou pickle, so it has a chance to get
> pickled all the way through. Add a jalapeno top anything you pickle to
> spice it up a bit....

Mack A. Damia
March 29th 13, 08:53 PM
On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 13:47:58 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

> Try avacado's cut up with grapefruit sections with salad dressing
> poured on....

Try avocado cut up with slices of sweet onions such as Vidalias
drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette.

--

Bill Graham
March 29th 13, 08:59 PM
Mack A. Damia wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 13:47:58 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
> wrote:
>
>> Try avacado's cut up with grapefruit sections with salad dressing
>> poured on....
>
> Try avocado cut up with slices of sweet onions such as Vidalias
> drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette.

I'll try that. I'm not supposed to eat grapefruit sections because it
interferes with some diabetes medication I take. (But I cheat onde in a
while) I do put onilns in almost anything I pickle anyway, so I will try
what you suggest. I started using jalapenos as a substitute for salt many
years ago, and today, at 77, my blood presure is about the same as the
average twenty year old. I don't even have a salt shaker on my dining room
table.

Mack A. Damia
March 29th 13, 09:16 PM
On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 13:59:49 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>Mack A. Damia wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 13:47:58 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Try avacado's cut up with grapefruit sections with salad dressing
>>> poured on....
>>
>> Try avocado cut up with slices of sweet onions such as Vidalias
>> drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette.
>
>I'll try that. I'm not supposed to eat grapefruit sections because it
>interferes with some diabetes medication I take. (But I cheat onde in a
>while) I do put onilns in almost anything I pickle anyway, so I will try
>what you suggest. I started using jalapenos as a substitute for salt many
>years ago, and today, at 77, my blood presure is about the same as the
>average twenty year old. I don't even have a salt shaker on my dining room
>table.

That served as a salad for dinner usualy draws several "ahhhhs".

My blood pressure and cholesterol are high. I'm on medication for
both. I try to exercise at least every other day.

--

Bill Graham
March 29th 13, 09:26 PM
Mack A. Damia wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 13:59:49 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
> wrote:
>
>> Mack A. Damia wrote:

>>> Try avocado cut up with slices of sweet onions such as Vidalias
>>> drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette.
>>
>> I'll try that. I'm not supposed to eat grapefruit sections because it
>> interferes with some diabetes medication I take. (But I cheat onde
>> in a while) I do put onilns in almost anything I pickle anyway, so I
>> will try what you suggest. I started using jalapenos as a substitute
>> for salt many years ago, and today, at 77, my blood presure is about
>> the same as the average twenty year old. I don't even have a salt
>> shaker on my dining room table.
>
> That served as a salad for dinner usualy draws several "ahhhhs".
>
> My blood pressure and cholesterol are high. I'm on medication for
> both. I try to exercise at least every other day.

I hate exercising, with the exception of swimming. This is a, "cool" way to
exercise, (literally) If there is a "Courthouse" or other pool nearby, you
should join it and swim at least an hour a day. Try to see how many laps you
can do in an hour, and watch the total build up with time. It also builds up
your breathing ability, which is very good for me, since I am a trumpet
player. (and I am trying to cancel out the 29 years that I smoked earlier in
life)

Mack A. Damia
March 29th 13, 09:35 PM
On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 14:26:47 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>Mack A. Damia wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 13:59:49 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
>> wrote:

>>> I'll try that. I'm not supposed to eat grapefruit sections because it
>>> interferes with some diabetes medication I take. (But I cheat onde
>>> in a while) I do put onilns in almost anything I pickle anyway, so I
>>> will try what you suggest. I started using jalapenos as a substitute
>>> for salt many years ago, and today, at 77, my blood presure is about
>>> the same as the average twenty year old. I don't even have a salt
>>> shaker on my dining room table.
>>
>> That served as a salad for dinner usualy draws several "ahhhhs".
>>
>> My blood pressure and cholesterol are high. I'm on medication for
>> both. I try to exercise at least every other day.
>
>I hate exercising, with the exception of swimming. This is a, "cool" way to
>exercise, (literally) If there is a "Courthouse" or other pool nearby, you
>should join it and swim at least an hour a day. Try to see how many laps you
>can do in an hour, and watch the total build up with time. It also builds up
>your breathing ability, which is very good for me, since I am a trumpet
>player. (and I am trying to cancel out the 29 years that I smoked earlier in
>life)

I have an aversion to swimming pools. I don't mind the ocean, but the
last time I went into a pool, I got a terrible sinus infection.

(Don't forget freshly ground pepper on the salad)

--

Bill Graham
March 29th 13, 10:15 PM
Mack A. Damia wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 14:26:47 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
> wrote:
>
>> Mack A. Damia wrote:

>>> That served as a salad for dinner usualy draws several "ahhhhs".
>>>
>>> My blood pressure and cholesterol are high. I'm on medication for
>>> both. I try to exercise at least every other day.
>>
>> I hate exercising, with the exception of swimming. This is a, "cool"
>> way to exercise, (literally) If there is a "Courthouse" or other
>> pool nearby, you should join it and swim at least an hour a day. Try
>> to see how many laps you can do in an hour, and watch the total
>> build up with time. It also builds up your breathing ability, which
>> is very good for me, since I am a trumpet player. (and I am trying
>> to cancel out the 29 years that I smoked earlier in life)
>
> I have an aversion to swimming pools. I don't mind the ocean, but the
> last time I went into a pool, I got a terrible sinus infection.
>
> (Don't forget freshly ground pepper on the salad)

[email protected] my arthritus, swimming works well for me. It is, "soft" on the joints.
I did pick up an eye infection many years ago in a public pool, but it was
very crowded. I swim in the late evening an hour before closing time. The
pool is usually empty other than me. Of course, if I had a heart attack, I
would probably drown before anyone came to find me. But, that's OK..... It
would be a nice way to go....:^)