PDA

View Full Version : Dry cat food recall


buglady[_2_]
March 12th 13, 02:02 AM
http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm343084.htm?source=govdelivery

Premium Edge, Diamond Naturals and 4health Dry Cat Food Formulas
Voluntarily Recalled Due to Possibility of Low Levels of Thiamine
(Vitamin B1)
03/11/2013 10:21 AM EDT

Diamond Pet Foods is voluntarily recalling limited production codes of
Premium Edge Finicky Adult Cat Formula dry cat food, Premium Edge Senior
Cat Hairball Management Formula dry cat food, Premium Edge Kitten
Formula dry cat food, Diamond Naturals Kitten Formula dry cat food and
4health All Life Stages Cat Formula dry cat food. Tests conducted by the
company indicated the products might have a low level of thiamine
(Vitamin B1).

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Bill Graham
March 13th 13, 09:45 PM
buglady wrote:
> http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm343084.htm?source=govdelivery
>
> Premium Edge, Diamond Naturals and 4health Dry Cat Food Formulas
> Voluntarily Recalled Due to Possibility of Low Levels of Thiamine
> (Vitamin B1)
> 03/11/2013 10:21 AM EDT
>
> Diamond Pet Foods is voluntarily recalling limited production codes of
> Premium Edge Finicky Adult Cat Formula dry cat food, Premium Edge
> Senior Cat Hairball Management Formula dry cat food, Premium Edge
> Kitten Formula dry cat food, Diamond Naturals Kitten Formula dry cat
> food and 4health All Life Stages Cat Formula dry cat food. Tests
> conducted by the company indicated the products might have a low
> level of thiamine (Vitamin B1).
>
> buglady
> take out the dog before replying

I must be missing something here. Vitamin B1 is relatively cheap. You can
get it in liquid form and just add a few drops to whatever your cat is
eating.

MaryL[_2_]
March 13th 13, 10:56 PM
"Bill Graham" wrote in message
...

buglady wrote:
> http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm343084.htm?source=govdelivery
>
> Premium Edge, Diamond Naturals and 4health Dry Cat Food Formulas
> Voluntarily Recalled Due to Possibility of Low Levels of Thiamine
> (Vitamin B1)
> 03/11/2013 10:21 AM EDT
>
> Diamond Pet Foods is voluntarily recalling limited production codes of
> Premium Edge Finicky Adult Cat Formula dry cat food, Premium Edge
> Senior Cat Hairball Management Formula dry cat food, Premium Edge
> Kitten Formula dry cat food, Diamond Naturals Kitten Formula dry cat
> food and 4health All Life Stages Cat Formula dry cat food. Tests
> conducted by the company indicated the products might have a low
> level of thiamine (Vitamin B1).
>
> buglady
> take out the dog before replying

I must be missing something here. Vitamin B1 is relatively cheap. You can
get it in liquid form and just add a few drops to whatever your cat is
eating.

~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, but thiamine is essential for cats. Most people use cat directly from
the bag or can--they do not expect to add vitamins to it just to meet
minimum requirements, so it would be easy to inadvertently deprive a cat of
essential nutrients.

MaryL

Bill Graham
March 14th 13, 12:58 AM
MaryL wrote:
> "Bill Graham" wrote in message
> ...
>
> buglady wrote:
>> http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm343084.htm?source=govdelivery
>>
>> Premium Edge, Diamond Naturals and 4health Dry Cat Food Formulas
>> Voluntarily Recalled Due to Possibility of Low Levels of Thiamine
>> (Vitamin B1)
>> 03/11/2013 10:21 AM EDT
>>
>> Diamond Pet Foods is voluntarily recalling limited production codes
>> of Premium Edge Finicky Adult Cat Formula dry cat food, Premium Edge
>> Senior Cat Hairball Management Formula dry cat food, Premium Edge
>> Kitten Formula dry cat food, Diamond Naturals Kitten Formula dry cat
>> food and 4health All Life Stages Cat Formula dry cat food. Tests
>> conducted by the company indicated the products might have a low
>> level of thiamine (Vitamin B1).
>>
>> buglady
>> take out the dog before replying
>
> I must be missing something here. Vitamin B1 is relatively cheap. You
> can get it in liquid form and just add a few drops to whatever your
> cat is eating.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~
> Yes, but thiamine is essential for cats. Most people use cat
> directly from the bag or can--they do not expect to add vitamins to
> it just to meet minimum requirements, so it would be easy to
> inadvertently deprive a cat of essential nutrients.
>
> MaryL

I understand that, but, "recall"? Sounds a bit draconian to me.... I mean,
its not like it was contaminated with rat poison....:^)

buglady[_2_]
March 14th 13, 02:36 AM
On 3/13/2013 8:58 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
> I understand that, but, "recall"? Sounds a bit draconian to me.... I
> mean, its not like it was contaminated with rat poison....:^)

...........for one thing, you might feel differently if you were spending
money at the vet because your cat was sick when it was caused by a food
that has the "complete and balanced" mantra stamped on it.

All the B vitamins are water soluble and not stored in the body and need
constant replacement.

http://www.petplace.com/cats/thiamine-deficiency-in-cats/page1.aspx

Vets do not automatically assume it's the food, though after all the
melamine poisonings they should always question the food.

............This has happened before with essential vitamins in pet food.
Look for more recalls as it's probably an issue with a vitamin/mineral
mix they bought from..........somewhere.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Bill Graham
March 14th 13, 10:12 PM
buglady wrote:
> On 3/13/2013 8:58 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
>> I understand that, but, "recall"? Sounds a bit draconian to me.... I
>> mean, its not like it was contaminated with rat poison....:^)
>
> ..........for one thing, you might feel differently if you were
> spending money at the vet because your cat was sick when it was
> caused by a food that has the "complete and balanced" mantra stamped
> on it.
> All the B vitamins are water soluble and not stored in the body and
> need constant replacement.
>
> http://www.petplace.com/cats/thiamine-deficiency-in-cats/page1.aspx
>
> Vets do not automatically assume it's the food, though after all the
> melamine poisonings they should always question the food.
>
> ...........This has happened before with essential vitamins in pet
> food. Look for more recalls as it's probably an issue with a
> vitamin/mineral mix they bought from..........somewhere.
>
> buglady
> take out the dog before replyingI think I get around this by varying the
> food my cats get. they quickly get tired of any pone brand, so I am always
> buying them a big variety of different stuff, as well as feeding them
> table scraps and the deli meat from my sandwiches. One of them likes
> cantalope and honydew melons. nother one gave up on cat food some time
> aqgo and now she only eats the same stuff my wife and I eat. (fish &
> chicken) If a pe3t food poisoned any of thiom, I probably wouldn't know
> which one it was unless I sent it all to a lab to be tested. but the
> general principal is, if you (or your cats) eat a large variety, then they
> will get all the vitamins and minerals they need. The danger is in feeding
> them just one and the same thing all the time. When you do that, you are
> putting all your eggs in one basket and are trusting everything on the
> integrity of just one manufacturer. - Bad news for buying stocks or
> feeding cats.....