PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with a cat

Pangur Ban
August 29th 13, 07:32 PM
A question for those of you who take your cats on road trips: How many
consecutive hours in the car (in a carrier) seem to be easily tolerable
for the cat? I have found that 6 or 7 hours is ok, but with
pet-friendly hotels not being very prevalent, I'm wondering whether
travel days could be lengthened without ill effects.

Bill Graham
August 29th 13, 09:01 PM
"Pangur Ban" > wrote in message
>A question for those of you who take your cats on road trips: How many
> consecutive hours in the car (in a carrier) seem to be easily tolerable
> for the cat? I have found that 6 or 7 hours is ok, but with
> pet-friendly hotels not being very prevalent, I'm wondering whether
> travel days could be lengthened without ill effects.

My friends sold their house and took a motor home all over the country.
Their cat got quite used to it. Also, I have known people who sailed all
over the world with their cats on board. They too, got used to the sailing
life and were quite comfortable on board for hours on end. All cats really
need is food, water, a nice place to sleep, and your love.

Pangur Ban
August 30th 13, 01:46 AM
In article >,
"Bill Graham" > wrote:

> My friends sold their house and took a motor home all over the country.
> Their cat got quite used to it. Also, I have known people who sailed all
> over the world with their cats on board. They too, got used to the sailing
> life and were quite comfortable on board for hours on end. All cats really
> need is food, water, a nice place to sleep, and your love.

Thanks so much for responding. I am interested in how many hours per
day others' cats tolerate being in the car between stops for the night.
A motor home or a sailboat would help, but my cat has to ride in a
carrier without food, water, or potty breaks.

Bill Graham
August 30th 13, 09:51 PM
Pangur Ban wrote:
> In article >,
> "Bill Graham" > wrote:
>
>> My friends sold their house and took a motor home all over the
>> country. Their cat got quite used to it. Also, I have known people
>> who sailed all over the world with their cats on board. They too,
>> got used to the sailing life and were quite comfortable on board for
>> hours on end. All cats really need is food, water, a nice place to
>> sleep, and your love.
>
> Thanks so much for responding. I am interested in how many hours per
> day others' cats tolerate being in the car between stops for the
> night. A motor home or a sailboat would help, but my cat has to ride
> in a carrier without food, water, or potty breaks.

Cats, like dogsd, don;t like being trapped in a carrier. Can't you let it
wander around in the back seat while you are on the road? My cat used to
ride on the rear deck, and look out the rear window. And what's wrong with a
bowl of cool water for company? Cats like to be part of the family, and do
what everyone else does.

Pangur Ban
August 31st 13, 12:06 AM
In article >,
"Bill Graham" > wrote:

> Pangur Ban wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Bill Graham" > wrote:
> >

> Cats, like dogsd, don;t like being trapped in a carrier. Can't you let it
> wander around in the back seat while you are on the road? My cat used to
> ride on the rear deck, and look out the rear window. And what's wrong with a
> bowl of cool water for company? Cats like to be part of the family, and do
> what everyone else does.

From experience, my cat feels most secure in his carrier with a towel
draped over it while riding in the car. Seems that every cat has its
own preferences. If he would placidly ride outside the carrier, things
would be different. But then, of course, he would have to be reinserted
into the carrier when stopping for gas, etc., just to be on the safe
side. The logistics of traveling with a cat are tricky if the cat is
not confined. He's a good sport, though, and travels relatively well.
My point in asking the question was just to find out how many hours at a
time have worked well for other cats in similar circumstances.

Kelley Greene
August 31st 13, 06:42 AM
"Pangur Ban" > wrote in message
>A question for those of you who take your cats on road trips: How many
> consecutive hours in the car (in a carrier) seem to be easily tolerable
> for the cat? I have found that 6 or 7 hours is ok, but with
> pet-friendly hotels not being very prevalent, I'm wondering whether
> travel days could be lengthened without ill effects.

We travel quite a bit with our 4 cats. We have our own RV. The cats are
NEVER in their roomy cages w/litterpans and water for more than 6 hours. In
a carrier, no more than four. But opinions vary.

You can visit www.rv.net's pet section and
http://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/ for more advice on traveling with cats.
You will get many replies there also.

Pangur Ban
August 31st 13, 02:26 PM
In article >,
"Kelley Greene" > wrote:

> We travel quite a bit with our 4 cats. We have our own RV. The cats are
> NEVER in their roomy cages w/litterpans and water for more than 6 hours. In
> a carrier, no more than four. But opinions vary.
>
> You can visit www.rv.net's pet section and
> http://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/ for more advice on traveling with cats.
> You will get many replies there also.

Thanks, Kelley.

dgk
September 3rd 13, 04:01 PM
On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 13:51:40 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>Pangur Ban wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "Bill Graham" > wrote:
>>
>>> My friends sold their house and took a motor home all over the
>>> country. Their cat got quite used to it. Also, I have known people
>>> who sailed all over the world with their cats on board. They too,
>>> got used to the sailing life and were quite comfortable on board for
>>> hours on end. All cats really need is food, water, a nice place to
>>> sleep, and your love.
>>
>> Thanks so much for responding. I am interested in how many hours per
>> day others' cats tolerate being in the car between stops for the
>> night. A motor home or a sailboat would help, but my cat has to ride
>> in a carrier without food, water, or potty breaks.
>
>Cats, like dogsd, don;t like being trapped in a carrier. Can't you let it
>wander around in the back seat while you are on the road? My cat used to
>ride on the rear deck, and look out the rear window. And what's wrong with a
>bowl of cool water for company? Cats like to be part of the family, and do
>what everyone else does.

I let my cat out of the carrier in my car and he decided he wanted to
crawl under the pedals. I suggest not letting a cat wander around the
car.

dgk
September 3rd 13, 04:03 PM
On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 09:26:35 -0400, Pangur Ban >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "Kelley Greene" > wrote:
>
>> We travel quite a bit with our 4 cats. We have our own RV. The cats are
>> NEVER in their roomy cages w/litterpans and water for more than 6 hours. In
>> a carrier, no more than four. But opinions vary.
>>
>> You can visit www.rv.net's pet section and
>> http://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/ for more advice on traveling with cats.
>> You will get many replies there also.
>
>Thanks, Kelley.

I'm eventually going to move from NY to Florida and was wondering how
I'm going to get three (at least) cats there. I think it's going to
have to be flying though for the very reason that I don't know how
they will handle that drive.

buglady[_2_]
September 3rd 13, 06:51 PM
On 9/3/2013 11:03 AM, dgk wrote:

> I'm eventually going to move from NY to Florida and was wondering how
> I'm going to get three (at least) cats there. I think it's going to
> have to be flying though for the very reason that I don't know how
> they will handle that drive.

..............Years ago I moved from IN to FL with 6 cats! The wild one
was in an enormous dog crate - she didn't get out at all, room enough in
there for litter box, food and water when we stopped. The others were
all in separate carriers. I drove 10 hours and didn't stop. I figured
they'd be too freaked out to do anything in a litter box or drink water
or eat and my van was so packed up there was nowhere for them to do.
They seemed OK when I let them out in the motel room. Spent all night
roaming around or crawling under the covers. I arrived in FL the next
day early afternoon, drug them all inside immediately and turned them
loose. They thought an empty house complete with palmetto bugs was a gas!

...................Anyway, it's quite common for people who need urine
samples to take their cats to the vet overnight and guess what....they
do nothing in the litter box. Cats can hold it forever.

........One word of warning. I had made a reservation over the phone at
a motel as I wanted to make sure they would take my cats. When I got
there she asked how many cats I had. I said 6. Too many she said.
Wouldn't let me check in. May she roast in Hell. Next place I went I
said 2 cats and they let me stay. What the heck difference does it
make? It's not like having 6 dogs in the room.

..............I recommend lying your ass off.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Mack A. Damia
September 3rd 13, 08:34 PM
On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 11:01:14 -0400, dgk > wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 13:51:40 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
>wrote:
>
>>Pangur Ban wrote:

>>> Thanks so much for responding. I am interested in how many hours per
>>> day others' cats tolerate being in the car between stops for the
>>> night. A motor home or a sailboat would help, but my cat has to ride
>>> in a carrier without food, water, or potty breaks.
>>
>>Cats, like dogsd, don;t like being trapped in a carrier. Can't you let it
>>wander around in the back seat while you are on the road? My cat used to
>>ride on the rear deck, and look out the rear window. And what's wrong with a
>>bowl of cool water for company? Cats like to be part of the family, and do
>>what everyone else does.
>
>I let my cat out of the carrier in my car and he decided he wanted to
>crawl under the pedals. I suggest not letting a cat wander around the
>car.

Yes, I picked up a stray Himalayan one cold and rainy night in the
1990s, and she went directly for the gas pedal. Maybe it's warmer
down there.

--

chaniarts[_2_]
September 3rd 13, 10:35 PM
On 9/3/2013 10:51 AM, buglady wrote:
> On 9/3/2013 11:03 AM, dgk wrote:
>
>> I'm eventually going to move from NY to Florida and was wondering how
>> I'm going to get three (at least) cats there. I think it's going to
>> have to be flying though for the very reason that I don't know how
>> they will handle that drive.
>>
> .............Years ago I moved from IN to FL with 6 cats! The wild one
> was in an enormous dog crate - she didn't get out at all, room enough in
> there for litter box, food and water when we stopped. The others were
> all in separate carriers. I drove 10 hours and didn't stop. I figured
> they'd be too freaked out to do anything in a litter box or drink water
> or eat and my van was so packed up there was nowhere for them to do.
> They seemed OK when I let them out in the motel room. Spent all night
> roaming around or crawling under the covers. I arrived in FL the next
> day early afternoon, drug them all inside immediately and turned them
> loose. They thought an empty house complete with palmetto bugs was a gas!
>
> ..................Anyway, it's quite common for people who need urine
> samples to take their cats to the vet overnight and guess what....they
> do nothing in the litter box. Cats can hold it forever.
>
> .......One word of warning. I had made a reservation over the phone at
> a motel as I wanted to make sure they would take my cats. When I got
> there she asked how many cats I had. I said 6. Too many she said.
> Wouldn't let me check in. May she roast in Hell. Next place I went I
> said 2 cats and they let me stay. What the heck difference does it
> make? It's not like having 6 dogs in the room.
>
> .............I recommend lying your ass off.
>
> buglady
> take out the dog before replying

i recommend this as a good read

<http://www.amazon.com/Dogtripping-Rescues-Volunteers-Cross-Country-Adventure/dp/1250014697>

Bill Graham
September 4th 13, 05:00 AM
dgk wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 13:51:40 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
> wrote:
>
>> Pangur Ban wrote:

>>> Thanks so much for responding. I am interested in how many hours
>>> per day others' cats tolerate being in the car between stops for the
>>> night. A motor home or a sailboat would help, but my cat has to ride
>>> in a carrier without food, water, or potty breaks.
>>
>> Cats, like dogsd, don;t like being trapped in a carrier. Can't you
>> let it wander around in the back seat while you are on the road? My
>> cat used to ride on the rear deck, and look out the rear window. And
>> what's wrong with a bowl of cool water for company? Cats like to be
>> part of the family, and do what everyone else does.
>
> I let my cat out of the carrier in my car and he decided he wanted to
> crawl under the pedals. I suggest not letting a cat wander around the
> car.

!. Teach him to stay in the back seat.
2. Should he go under your feet, just drag him out and throw him in the back
seat. I am 77 and I have no trouble keeping my cat away from under my
knees....