PDA

View Full Version : Too many stray animals

John Doe
October 30th 13, 06:05 PM
What does your city do about stray animals?

I was just told by our "dog pound" that they are short on space. My
guess is that they never have enough space. Can the city put a tax on
businesses/individuals that sell animals? Maybe they could dedicate
that tax revenue to a catch-neuter-release program, like providing
free neutering to anyone who brings in an animal.

IBen Getiner[_3_]
November 22nd 13, 09:13 AM
On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 1:05:31 PM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
> What does your city do about stray animals?

They put them to sleep. What else are they going to do? Raise everyone's taxes so they can have them sleeping on feather pillows and eating pealed shrimp three times a day?

> I was just told by our "dog pound" that they are short on space. My
>
> guess is that they never have enough space. Can the city put a tax on
>
> businesses/individuals that sell animals? Maybe they could dedicate
>
> that tax revenue to a catch-neuter-release program, like providing
>
> free neutering to anyone who brings in an animal.

Maybe they can just keep putting them to sleep. It's always worked well in the past, plus it's cheaper that way.

IBen Getiner

John Doe
November 22nd 13, 10:04 AM
Regular Google Groups troll...

--
IBen Getiner <LloydsEelAaron aol.com> wrote:

> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 00:13:33 -0800 (PST)
> Subject: Re: Too many stray animals
> From: IBen Getiner <LloydsEelAaron aol.com>
>
> On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 1:05:31 PM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
>> What does your city do about stray animals?
>>

> They put them to sleep. What else are they going to do? Raise everyone's taxes so they can have them sleeping on feather pillows and eating pealed shrimp three times a day?
>

>> I was just told by our "dog pound" that they are short on space. My
>>
>> guess is that they never have enough space. Can the city put a tax on
>>
>> businesses/individuals that sell animals? Maybe they could dedicate
>>
>> that tax revenue to a catch-neuter-release program, like providing
>>
>> free neutering to anyone who brings in an animal.
>
> Maybe they can just keep putting them to sleep. It's always worked well in the past, plus it's cheaper that way.
>

> IBen Getiner

Bill Graham
November 23rd 13, 03:20 AM
IBen Getiner wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 1:05:31 PM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
>> What does your city do about stray animals?
>>

> They put them to sleep. What else are they going to do? Raise
> everyone's taxes so they can have them sleeping on feather pillows
> and eating pealed shrimp three times a day?
>

>> I was just told by our "dog pound" that they are short on space. My
>>
>> guess is that they never have enough space. Can the city put a tax on
>>
>> businesses/individuals that sell animals? Maybe they could dedicate
>>
>> that tax revenue to a catch-neuter-release program, like providing
>>
>> free neutering to anyone who brings in an animal.
>
> Maybe they can just keep putting them to sleep. It's always worked
> well in the past, plus it's cheaper that way.
>

> IBen Getiner

Few things are more satisxfying than catcvhing s stray animal, feeding it
and taming it, and keeping it as a pet. But I have to say that this is the
job of individuals and their organizations and not the business of the
government. Since my retirement about 17 years ago, I have had eight cats.
five of them were abandoned by people for one reason or another, and three
were given to us by other people who couldn't keep them for one reason or
another. One just left her family on this block and moved in with us,
probably because they got a dog and she couldn't stand dogs. But I assumed
this responsibility myself, and wouldn;t expect the rest of society to have
it forced upon them. I have loved all of my cats. They all have had
different personalities and have been a great joy to have as a part of my
household. Over the years, they have cost me several thousand dollars, but
they have been worth every penny. Right now, there is a stray who is missing
part of his/her hind leg and who comes up on our rear deck at night and eats
the dog food we leave out for the raccoons. My new job is to tame him and
make him a pet. But he is very shy and runs as soon as he knows either my
wife or myself is in the area, so it is a challenge. But I know that
eventually, he will become a part of our household. Making this happen is
almost as much fun as playing my trumpet in the dance band. First I will
have to figure out some way of weening him off of the dog kibbles and into
some good cat food without the raccoons eating the cat food before he can
get it. This is the hardest step, but once it is done, the rest will be
easy.

John Doe
November 23rd 13, 05:38 AM
If I could afford it, I would trap, neuter, and release (TNR) the
cats that I can't keep inside. Please do not feed unneutered cats
outside unless you plan on neutering them or bringing them inside.

Dogs or cats that are eating dry food must have fresh water
available. I'm sure that eating dog food is how some of the stray
cats in my neighborhood have survived.

For keeping an "eye" on stray animals in the area...
Modern wireless motion sensors are dirt cheap nowadays. The 9 V
battery in the remote unit lasts a very long time. Just needs to
be placed out of direct sunlight and rain. I'm using one for
monitoring neighborhood animals that come around my door. There
are possums in the area that I don't want to encourage in any way.
The wireless motion sensor I bought was a bit too cheap (made by
Skylink), but opening it up and re-soldering a component lead made
it work again. Wireless motion sensors are great for the purpose.
Getting the detection correct might not be easy, but at least you
don't have to mess with wires. Possible placement locations are
infinite.

Good luck and have fun.

John Doe
November 24th 13, 04:24 AM
To the comment about having nothing to do with feral cats...
I would agree that it's the kind of pet you would give an unwanted
stepchild, but it provides my tame male cat with companionship. Some
nights when it thinks I'm asleep, it romps with him. I caught a
glimpse of it jumping into the air with its front paws spread apart,
while playing. That's probably the most fun this feral cat has ever
had, contrasted with its difficult/miserable life when it was in the
not-so-great outdoors. That feeling of satisfaction makes it not a
complete waste.