PDA

View Full Version : How to stop too many cats/kittens from driving you insane...

John Doe
November 7th 13, 01:51 AM
This is mainly for kittens. But my male cat enjoys chasing his tail,
so it might work well for him too. Currently, he needs the exercise.

I found a way to give my three kittens all the indoor exercise they
can handle. Basically, it's just extending their tail 6 or 8 inches
with a 1/4 inch thick nylon cord, using packaging tape. It's not very
nice, but I'd rather feel a little guilty than feel angry at them. I
know some people have injured and even killed their pets out of
anger. And these kittens (in addition to three adult cats) have been
driving me crazyer.

To my pleasant surprise... These kittens appear to enjoy their tail
extension. One reason is because it helps a lot with chasing their
own tail. Serious tail chasing action. Sometimes one chases another
while it is being chased. Sometimes they play with their own. I
haven't seen a circle chase yet (with all three kittens). They stop
the action simply by being at rest, and the other cats lose interest.
The most active kitten became so wild the first time, I removed the
thing early so it wouldn't go crazy. But it's just that way, it's
very active. Since then, it's done great.

So... When they start getting into stuff that they're not supposed to
(like all the time), I just whip out the tail extenders and that's
all they do until their next nap. If they lose interest, I will post
saying so.

I'm happy to hear about any potential injury. Most useful would be
personal experience. Apparently getting caught on something is it,
that's why I'm using a breakaway device. And this will happen only
under human supervision.

John Doe
November 7th 13, 05:21 PM
At the moment, there are three cats in my lap. I guess that is a good
thing...

The fabulous tale toy might be waning. If so, that would IMO prove
there is no enduring toy. Will see.

John Doe
November 15th 13, 03:16 AM
The Humane Society accepted those 3 1/2 month old kittens today. Yea.

They were fun, and cute, but they will be all that to somebody else
who doesn't already have more than enough cats.

John Doe
November 15th 13, 03:18 AM
They ended up playing a lot less with each other's extended tales,
but played more with their own.

IBen Getiner[_3_]
November 19th 13, 10:19 AM
On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 8:51:46 PM UTC-5, John Doe wrote:
> This is mainly for kittens. But my male cat enjoys chasing his tail,
>
> so it might work well for him too. Currently, he needs the exercise.
>

> I found a way to give my three kittens all the indoor exercise they
>
> can handle. Basically, it's just extending their tail 6 or 8 inches
>
> with a 1/4 inch thick nylon cord, using packaging tape. It's not very
>
> nice, but I'd rather feel a little guilty than feel angry at them. I
>
> know some people have injured and even killed their pets out of
>
> anger. And these kittens (in addition to three adult cats) have been
>
> driving me crazyer.
>

> To my pleasant surprise... These kittens appear to enjoy their tail
>
> extension. One reason is because it helps a lot with chasing their
>
> own tail. Serious tail chasing action. Sometimes one chases another
>
> while it is being chased. Sometimes they play with their own. I
>
> haven't seen a circle chase yet (with all three kittens). They stop
>
> the action simply by being at rest, and the other cats lose interest.
>
> The most active kitten became so wild the first time, I removed the
>
> thing early so it wouldn't go crazy. But it's just that way, it's
>
> very active. Since then, it's done great.
>

> So... When they start getting into stuff that they're not supposed to
>
> (like all the time), I just whip out the tail extenders and that's
>
> all they do until their next nap. If they lose interest, I will post
>
> saying so.
>

> I'm happy to hear about any potential injury. Most useful would be
>
> personal experience. Apparently getting caught on something is it,
>
> that's why I'm using a breakaway device. And this will happen only
>
> under human supervision.

That sounds just plain cruel to me.

IBen Getiner

John Doe
November 20th 13, 12:17 AM
No telling how many skeletons this holier-than-thou thing
has in its closet...

--
See also Google groups
IBen Getiner <LloydsEelAaron aol.com> wrote:

> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 02:19:25 -0800 (PST)
> Subject: Re: How to stop too many cats/kittens from driving you insane...
> From: IBen Getiner <LloydsEelAaron aol.com>
>
> On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 8:51:46 PM UTC-5, John Doe wrote:
>> This is mainly for kittens. But my male cat enjoys chasing his tail,
>>
>> so it might work well for him too. Currently, he needs the exercise.
>>

>> I found a way to give my three kittens all the indoor exercise they
>>
>> can handle. Basically, it's just extending their tail 6 or 8 inches
>>
>> with a 1/4 inch thick nylon cord, using packaging tape. It's not very
>>
>> nice, but I'd rather feel a little guilty than feel angry at them. I
>>
>> know some people have injured and even killed their pets out of
>>
>> anger. And these kittens (in addition to three adult cats) have been
>>
>> driving me crazyer.
>>

>> To my pleasant surprise... These kittens appear to enjoy their tail
>>
>> extension. One reason is because it helps a lot with chasing their
>>
>> own tail. Serious tail chasing action. Sometimes one chases another
>>
>> while it is being chased. Sometimes they play with their own. I
>>
>> haven't seen a circle chase yet (with all three kittens). They stop
>>
>> the action simply by being at rest, and the other cats lose interest.
>>
>> The most active kitten became so wild the first time, I removed the
>>
>> thing early so it wouldn't go crazy. But it's just that way, it's
>>
>> very active. Since then, it's done great.
>>

>> So... When they start getting into stuff that they're not supposed to
>>
>> (like all the time), I just whip out the tail extenders and that's
>>
>> all they do until their next nap. If they lose interest, I will post
>>
>> saying so.
>>

>> I'm happy to hear about any potential injury. Most useful would be
>>
>> personal experience. Apparently getting caught on something is it,
>>
>> that's why I'm using a breakaway device. And this will happen only
>>
>> under human supervision.
>
> That sounds just plain cruel to me.
>

> IBen Getiner

IBen Getiner[_3_]
November 22nd 13, 08:10 AM
On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 8:51:46 PM UTC-5, John Doe wrote:
> This is mainly for kittens. But my male cat enjoys chasing his tail,
>
> so it might work well for him too. Currently, he needs the exercise.
>

> I found a way to give my three kittens all the indoor exercise they
>
> can handle. Basically, it's just extending their tail 6 or 8 inches
>
> with a 1/4 inch thick nylon cord, using packaging tape. It's not very
>
> nice, but I'd rather feel a little guilty than feel angry at them. I
>
> know some people have injured and even killed their pets out of
>
> anger. And these kittens (in addition to three adult cats) have been
>
> driving me crazyer.
>

> To my pleasant surprise... These kittens appear to enjoy their tail
>
> extension. One reason is because it helps a lot with chasing their
>
> own tail. Serious tail chasing action. Sometimes one chases another
>
> while it is being chased. Sometimes they play with their own. I
>
> haven't seen a circle chase yet (with all three kittens). They stop
>
> the action simply by being at rest, and the other cats lose interest.
>
> The most active kitten became so wild the first time, I removed the
>
> thing early so it wouldn't go crazy. But it's just that way, it's
>
> very active. Since then, it's done great.
>

> So... When they start getting into stuff that they're not supposed to
>
> (like all the time), I just whip out the tail extenders and that's
>
> all they do until their next nap. If they lose interest, I will post
>
> saying so.
>

> I'm happy to hear about any potential injury. Most useful would be
>
> personal experience. Apparently getting caught on something is it,
>
> that's why I'm using a breakaway device. And this will happen only
>
> under human supervision.

All my 'skeletons' are right out in the open, as anyone can verify with a simple Google Usenet search... Friggin' dick-wad.

IBen Getiner

John Doe
November 22nd 13, 09:04 AM
Regular Google Groups troll...

--
IBen Getiner <LloydsEelAaron aol.com> wrote:

> Path: eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!xmission!usenet.blueworldhosting.com !feeder01.blueworldhosting.com!peer01.iad.highwind s-media.com!npeer01.iad.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!i2no1495945qav.0!news-out.google.com!9ni178qaf.0!nntp.google.com!i2no149 5940qav.0!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.go oglegroups.com!not-for-mail
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 00:10:00 -0800 (PST)
> Subject: Re: How to stop too many cats/kittens from driving you insane...
> From: IBen Getiner <LloydsEelAaron aol.com>
>
> On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 8:51:46 PM UTC-5, John Doe wrote:
>> This is mainly for kittens. But my male cat enjoys chasing his tail,
>>
>> so it might work well for him too. Currently, he needs the exercise.
>>

>> I found a way to give my three kittens all the indoor exercise they
>>
>> can handle. Basically, it's just extending their tail 6 or 8 inches
>>
>> with a 1/4 inch thick nylon cord, using packaging tape. It's not very
>>
>> nice, but I'd rather feel a little guilty than feel angry at them. I
>>
>> know some people have injured and even killed their pets out of
>>
>> anger. And these kittens (in addition to three adult cats) have been
>>
>> driving me crazyer.
>>

>> To my pleasant surprise... These kittens appear to enjoy their tail
>>
>> extension. One reason is because it helps a lot with chasing their
>>
>> own tail. Serious tail chasing action. Sometimes one chases another
>>
>> while it is being chased. Sometimes they play with their own. I
>>
>> haven't seen a circle chase yet (with all three kittens). They stop
>>
>> the action simply by being at rest, and the other cats lose interest.
>>
>> The most active kitten became so wild the first time, I removed the
>>
>> thing early so it wouldn't go crazy. But it's just that way, it's
>>
>> very active. Since then, it's done great.
>>

>> So... When they start getting into stuff that they're not supposed to
>>
>> (like all the time), I just whip out the tail extenders and that's
>>
>> all they do until their next nap. If they lose interest, I will post
>>
>> saying so.
>>

>> I'm happy to hear about any potential injury. Most useful would be
>>
>> personal experience. Apparently getting caught on something is it,
>>
>> that's why I'm using a breakaway device. And this will happen only
>>
>> under human supervision.
>
> All my 'skeletons' are right out in the open, as anyone can verify with a simple Google Usenet search... Friggin' dick-wad.
>

> IBen Getiner

John Doe
March 23rd 14, 11:27 PM
I haven't used the method since the Humane Society took the
kittens. But I definitely would consider using it in another
situation, like when you have an overly aggressive (or perhaps
overly playful) cat that is terrorizing others. Immediately start
clipping its claws. But also consider adding a tail extender as
described. Never know, it might just need to get some exercise or
let off steam.

Always keep in mind the dynamics of captivity. Pursuing cats is a
bad idea because they have no place to run. Outside they would run
away. Must give them space. Correction without letting them know
it's you is best. I think the space thing should also be
considered to some extent to governing interaction between cats.