PDA

View Full Version : Reducing dust from cat litter

Rhino[_3_]
November 30th 13, 06:43 PM
I recently started using supermarket gravel litter for my two cats. They
made the switch from their old litter painlessly but I find that this
litter produces a fair amount of dust. I find the dust seems to stick in
my throat. I'm not having difficulty breathing and have no allergies
that I know about but I don't much LIKE the dust.

Is there anything inexpensive I can do to keep the amount of dust down?
Would spritzing the litter with water occasionally help or would it make
the litter unattractive to the cats?

Also, is there any likelihood that the dust will harm me if I just
ignore the dust and live with it? I'm not sure if you can answer that
without an ingredient list but I'm guessing that most gravel litter has
the same ingredients regardless of the brand.

--
Rhino

---

Matthew[_3_]
November 30th 13, 07:08 PM
"Rhino" > wrote in message
>I recently started using supermarket gravel litter for my two cats. They
>made the switch from their old litter painlessly but I find that this
>litter produces a fair amount of dust. I find the dust seems to stick in my
>throat. I'm not having difficulty breathing and have no allergies that I
>know about but I don't much LIKE the dust.
>
> Is there anything inexpensive I can do to keep the amount of dust down?
> Would spritzing the litter with water occasionally help or would it make
> the litter unattractive to the cats?
>
> Also, is there any likelihood that the dust will harm me if I just ignore
> the dust and live with it? I'm not sure if you can answer that without an
> ingredient list but I'm guessing that most gravel litter has the same
> ingredients regardless of the brand.
>
> --
> Rhino
>
> ---
> protection is active.

I use tidy cat multi very little dust. Wal-Mart has it pretty cheap. if
you have a sams club they sell it for 50 pound bag for about $8.00.

A member years ago name Phil. He said take a empty container and pour the
bag of cat litter back and forth to get rid of all the extra dust from the
cheaper brands

Rhino[_3_]
December 3rd 13, 11:24 PM
On 2013-11-30 1:08 PM, Matthew wrote:
> "Rhino" > wrote in message
>> I recently started using supermarket gravel litter for my two cats. They
>> made the switch from their old litter painlessly but I find that this
>> litter produces a fair amount of dust. I find the dust seems to stick in my
>> throat. I'm not having difficulty breathing and have no allergies that I
>> know about but I don't much LIKE the dust.
>>
>> Is there anything inexpensive I can do to keep the amount of dust down?
>> Would spritzing the litter with water occasionally help or would it make
>> the litter unattractive to the cats?
>>
>> Also, is there any likelihood that the dust will harm me if I just ignore
>> the dust and live with it? I'm not sure if you can answer that without an
>> ingredient list but I'm guessing that most gravel litter has the same
>> ingredients regardless of the brand.
>>
>> --
>> Rhino
>>
>> ---
>> protection is active.
>>

> I use tidy cat multi very little dust. Wal-Mart has it pretty cheap. if
> you have a sams club they sell it for 50 pound bag for about $8.00.

For what it's worth, I went to Walmart and they have a variety of cat
litters but NOT Tidy Cat. I checked two different Walmarts and neither
one carried Tidy Cat. I'm in Southern Ontario (Canada) so I suspect the
Canadian Walmarts use different suppliers than the American stores.

I imagine that would work but it seems to me it just "time shifts" the
dust. Instead of getting dust every time the cats use the litter, you
get it all in a concentrated dose as you shift the litter back and forth
between containers....

Hmm. I see Pet Smart sells Tidy Cats litter. $7.99 for a 40 pound bag.
Weird: they quote the price in US dollars even though this is the
Canadian website.... The Canadian dollar is still close to par with the
US so it should still be close to 7.99 Canadian.

> A member years ago name Phil. He said take a empty container and pour the
> bag of cat litter back and forth to get rid of all the extra dust from the
> cheaper brands

I imagine that would work but it seems to me it just "time shifts" the
dust. Instead of getting dust every time the cats use the litter, you
get it all in a concentrated dose as you shift the litter back and forth
between containers....

Hmm. I see Pet Smart sells Tidy Cats litter. $7.99 for a 40 pound bag.
Weird: they quote the price in US dollars even though this is the
Canadian website.... The Canadian dollar is still close to par with the
US so it should still be close to 7.99 Canadian.

--
Rhino

---

Bill Graham
December 5th 13, 08:18 AM
Rhino wrote:
> On 2013-11-30 1:08 PM, Matthew wrote:
>> "Rhino" > wrote in message
>>> I recently started using supermarket gravel litter for my two cats.
>>> They made the switch from their old litter painlessly but I find
>>> that this litter produces a fair amount of dust. I find the dust
>>> seems to stick in my throat. I'm not having difficulty breathing
>>> and have no allergies that I know about but I don't much LIKE the
>>> dust. Is there anything inexpensive I can do to keep the amount of dust
>>> down? Would spritzing the litter with water occasionally help or
>>> would it make the litter unattractive to the cats?
>>>
>>> Also, is there any likelihood that the dust will harm me if I just
>>> ignore the dust and live with it? I'm not sure if you can answer
>>> that without an ingredient list but I'm guessing that most gravel
>>> litter has the same ingredients regardless of the brand.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rhino
>>>
>>> ---
>>> protection is active.
>>>

>> I use tidy cat multi very little dust. Wal-Mart has it pretty
>> cheap. if you have a sams club they sell it for 50 pound bag for
>> about $8.00.
> For what it's worth, I went to Walmart and they have a variety of cat
> litters but NOT Tidy Cat. I checked two different Walmarts and neither
> one carried Tidy Cat. I'm in Southern Ontario (Canada) so I suspect
> the Canadian Walmarts use different suppliers than the American
> stores.
> I imagine that would work but it seems to me it just "time shifts" the
> dust. Instead of getting dust every time the cats use the litter, you
> get it all in a concentrated dose as you shift the litter back and
> forth between containers....
>
> Hmm. I see Pet Smart sells Tidy Cats litter. $7.99 for a 40 pound bag.
> Weird: they quote the price in US dollars even though this is the
> Canadian website.... The Canadian dollar is still close to par with
> the US so it should still be close to 7.99 Canadian.
>

>> A member years ago name Phil. He said take a empty container and
>> pour the bag of cat litter back and forth to get rid of all the
>> extra dust from the cheaper brands
>>

> I imagine that would work but it seems to me it just "time shifts" the
> dust. Instead of getting dust every time the cats use the litter, you
> get it all in a concentrated dose as you shift the litter back and
> forth between containers....

Try vacuumi8ng the litter through a screen before you deploy it to the cats.
That may keep the dust down that accumulates during transit, and be easier
for you to handle.

buglady[_2_]
December 5th 13, 12:12 PM
On 11/30/2013 12:43 PM, Rhino wrote:
> I recently started using supermarket gravel litter for my two cats. They
> made the switch from their old litter painlessly but I find that this
> litter produces a fair amount of dust.

............There is no non-clumping litter that doesn't have dust. Even
the clumping litter is dusty. The only non-dusty one I've found is Tidy
Cats Breathe Easy. Expensive, but with only two cats highly worth it.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

dgk
December 5th 13, 05:45 PM
On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 13:08:01 -0500, "Matthew"
> wrote:

>"Rhino" > wrote in message
>>I recently started using supermarket gravel litter for my two cats. They
>>made the switch from their old litter painlessly but I find that this
>>litter produces a fair amount of dust. I find the dust seems to stick in my
>>throat. I'm not having difficulty breathing and have no allergies that I
>>know about but I don't much LIKE the dust.
>>
>> Is there anything inexpensive I can do to keep the amount of dust down?
>> Would spritzing the litter with water occasionally help or would it make
>> the litter unattractive to the cats?
>>
>> Also, is there any likelihood that the dust will harm me if I just ignore
>> the dust and live with it? I'm not sure if you can answer that without an
>> ingredient list but I'm guessing that most gravel litter has the same
>> ingredients regardless of the brand.
>>
>> --
>> Rhino
>>
>> ---
>> protection is active.
>>

>I use tidy cat multi very little dust. Wal-Mart has it pretty cheap. if
>you have a sams club they sell it for 50 pound bag for about $8.00.
>
>A member years ago name Phil. He said take a empty container and pour the
>bag of cat litter back and forth to get rid of all the extra dust from the
>cheaper brands

I'll have to try that. My litter is ok but my neighbor has tons of
dust so I'll see if it works for her stuff.

Bill Graham
December 7th 13, 12:44 AM
dgk wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 13:08:01 -0500, "Matthew"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Rhino" > wrote in message
>>> I recently started using supermarket gravel litter for my two cats.
>>> They made the switch from their old litter painlessly but I find
>>> that this litter produces a fair amount of dust. I find the dust
>>> seems to stick in my throat. I'm not having difficulty breathing
>>> and have no allergies that I know about but I don't much LIKE the
>>> dust.
>>>
>>> Is there anything inexpensive I can do to keep the amount of dust
>>> down? Would spritzing the litter with water occasionally help or
>>> would it make the litter unattractive to the cats?
>>>
>>> Also, is there any likelihood that the dust will harm me if I just
>>> ignore the dust and live with it? I'm not sure if you can answer
>>> that without an ingredient list but I'm guessing that most gravel
>>> litter has the same ingredients regardless of the brand.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rhino
>>>
>>> ---
>>> protection is active.
>>>

>> I use tidy cat multi very little dust. Wal-Mart has it pretty
>> cheap. if you have a sams club they sell it for 50 pound bag for
>> about $8.00.
>>
>> A member years ago name Phil. He said take a empty container and
>> pour the bag of cat litter back and forth to get rid of all the
>> extra dust from the cheaper brands
>>

> I'll have to try that. My litter is ok but my neighbor has tons of
> dust so I'll see if it works for her stuff.

Do this outside while facing downwind. this is how they used to seperate the
wheat from the chaff. It should work well with cat litter dust.