PDA

View Full Version : Multiple cats, female loses appetite...

John Doe
January 18th 14, 07:44 AM
Might have found an interesting solution to my new calico female cat
losing her appetite. She and my male were playing well for a while,
but he has been getting rough. I haven't been spending much time with
them recently, that might be one problem. The calico takes a few
bites and then walks away from the food. Really frustrating. One of
her kittens was the same way. A cat I had for a very long time lost
her appetite. Also possibly do to the presence of a male cat. To
solve this calico's problem... I feed them three or four times per
day. At that time, for a few minutes, I lie down next to her food
where she eats. Really obvious, seeing her lookup and around
periodically. She is afraid she's going to get mugged for food, or
something. And it's working, nearly 100%. She's eating much more.
Still need a day or so to be confident in the results, but it follows
the appearance of the thing being worried. I suppose it could happen
with a male cat too, if there was a big enough tomcat threatening it.

Sylvia M[_3_]
January 18th 14, 07:48 AM
"John Doe" > wrote in message

> Might have found an interesting solution to my new calico female cat
> losing her appetite. She and my male were playing well for a while,
> but he has been getting rough. I haven't been spending much time with
> them recently, that might be one problem. The calico takes a few
> bites and then walks away from the food. Really frustrating. One of
> her kittens was the same way. A cat I had for a very long time lost
> her appetite. Also possibly do to the presence of a male cat. To
> solve this calico's problem... I feed them three or four times per
> day. At that time, for a few minutes, I lie down next to her food
> where she eats. Really obvious, seeing her lookup and around
> periodically. She is afraid she's going to get mugged for food, or
> something. And it's working, nearly 100%. She's eating much more.
> Still need a day or so to be confident in the results, but it follows
> the appearance of the thing being worried. I suppose it could happen
> with a male cat too, if there was a big enough tomcat threatening it.

Perhaps feed her in a different location than the male?
HTH
Sylvia

John Doe
January 18th 14, 08:58 AM
"Sylvia M" <nsmol dslextreme.com> wrote:

> "John Doe" <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote

>> Might have found an interesting solution to my new calico
>> female cat losing her appetite. She and my male were playing
>> well for a while, but he has been getting rough. I haven't been
>> spending much time with them recently, that might be one
>> problem. The calico takes a few bites and then walks away from
>> the food. Really frustrating. One of her kittens was the same
>> way. A cat I had for a very long time lost her appetite. Also
>> possibly do to the presence of a male cat. To solve this
>> calico's problem... I feed them three or four times per day. At
>> that time, for a few minutes, I lie down next to her food where
>> she eats. Really obvious, seeing her lookup and around
>> periodically. She is afraid she's going to get mugged for food,
>> or something. And it's working, nearly 100%. She's eating much
>> more. Still need a day or so to be confident in the results,
>> but it follows the appearance of the thing being worried. I
>> suppose it could happen with a male cat too, if there was a big
>> enough tomcat threatening it.
>
> Perhaps feed her in a different location than the male?

It is in a different location. I can spend a few minutes if (so
far) it works this way. Cats come out of nowhere. Someone she
trusts being there is probably what matters. I suspect it's partly
to do with the fact she had to survive outside for years. It's
brutal out there.

I recently saw two identical pedigreed looking cats in the
neighborhood that look like they had been bought from a pet store.
Now they are strays. They make great pets though, having survived
out there for a while.

> HTH Sylvia

IBen Getiner[_3_]
January 27th 14, 09:01 AM
On Saturday, January 18, 2014 1:44:33 AM UTC-5, John Doe wrote:
> Might have found an interesting solution to my new calico female cat
>
> losing her appetite. She and my male were playing well for a while,
>
> but he has been getting rough. I haven't been spending much time with
>
> them recently, that might be one problem. The calico takes a few
>
> bites and then walks away from the food. Really frustrating. One of
>
> her kittens was the same way. A cat I had for a very long time lost
>
> her appetite. Also possibly do to the presence of a male cat. To
>
> solve this calico's problem... I feed them three or four times per
>
> day. At that time, for a few minutes, I lie down next to her food
>
> where she eats. Really obvious, seeing her lookup and around
>
> periodically. She is afraid she's going to get mugged for food, or
>
> something. And it's working, nearly 100%. She's eating much more.
>
> Still need a day or so to be confident in the results, but it follows
>
> the appearance of the thing being worried. I suppose it could happen
>
> with a male cat too, if there was a big enough tomcat threatening it.

If you can find a male calico as a companion for her, you'll have most of your problem licked.

John Doe
January 27th 14, 06:01 PM
No need to read this Google Groups troll...

--
IBen Getiner <LloydsEelAaron aol.com> wrote:

> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 00:01:07 -0800 (PST)
> Subject: Re: Multiple cats, female loses appetite...
> From: IBen Getiner <LloydsEelAaron aol.com>
>
> On Saturday, January 18, 2014 1:44:33 AM UTC-5, John Doe wrote:
>> Might have found an interesting solution to my new calico female cat
>>
>> losing her appetite. She and my male were playing well for a while,
>>
>> but he has been getting rough. I haven't been spending much time with
>>
>> them recently, that might be one problem. The calico takes a few
>>
>> bites and then walks away from the food. Really frustrating. One of
>>
>> her kittens was the same way. A cat I had for a very long time lost
>>
>> her appetite. Also possibly do to the presence of a male cat. To
>>
>> solve this calico's problem... I feed them three or four times per
>>
>> day. At that time, for a few minutes, I lie down next to her food
>>
>> where she eats. Really obvious, seeing her lookup and around
>>
>> periodically. She is afraid she's going to get mugged for food, or
>>
>> something. And it's working, nearly 100%. She's eating much more.
>>
>> Still need a day or so to be confident in the results, but it follows
>>
>> the appearance of the thing being worried. I suppose it could happen
>>
>> with a male cat too, if there was a big enough tomcat threatening it.
>
> If you can find a male calico as a companion for her, you'll have most of your problem licked.

buglady[_2_]
January 27th 14, 07:52 PM
On 1/27/2014 12:01 PM, John Doe wrote:
> No need to read this Google Groups troll...

Stop! You've broken my irony meter!

buglady
take out the dog before replying