PDA

View Full Version : Sound

Mack A. Damia
January 19th 14, 08:33 PM
Any evidence that loud music hurts cats' ears?

I don't mean "blaring" music but reasonably loud.

--
~Cogito ergo errant ego~

John Doe
January 20th 14, 02:47 AM
Mack A. Damia <mybaconbutty hotmail.com> wrote:

> Any evidence that loud music hurts cats' ears?
>
> I don't mean "blaring" music but reasonably loud.

I don't think so. Pay attention for any unusual behavior. Cats are
very good at coping, they are masters at hunkering down. And I doubt
it hurts their eardrums.

Good luck and have fun.

Mack A. Damia
January 20th 14, 03:17 AM
On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 01:47:59 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
> wrote:

>Mack A. Damia <mybaconbutty hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Any evidence that loud music hurts cats' ears?
>>
>> I don't mean "blaring" music but reasonably loud.
>
>I don't think so. Pay attention for any unusual behavior. Cats are
>very good at coping, they are masters at hunkering down. And I doubt
>it hurts their eardrums.
>
>Good luck and have fun.

Just got a new Bose radio and CD player. I was listening to E. Power
Biggs playing Bach's Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor on the Flentrop
Tracker at the Busch Reisinger Museum at Harvard.

I turned the volume up a bit and Pookie seemed to get anxious for a
minute, but then she settled down.

I have to wonder because many of us don't like very loud, blaring
music, so why shouldn't cats be the same?

Thanks for your response.

--

dgk
January 24th 14, 03:43 PM
> wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 01:47:59 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
> wrote:
>
>>Mack A. Damia <mybaconbutty hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Any evidence that loud music hurts cats' ears?
>>>
>>> I don't mean "blaring" music but reasonably loud.
>>
>>I don't think so. Pay attention for any unusual behavior. Cats are
>>very good at coping, they are masters at hunkering down. And I doubt
>>it hurts their eardrums.
>>
>>Good luck and have fun.
>
>Just got a new Bose radio and CD player. I was listening to E. Power
>Biggs playing Bach's Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor on the Flentrop
>Tracker at the Busch Reisinger Museum at Harvard.
>
>I turned the volume up a bit and Pookie seemed to get anxious for a
>minute, but then she settled down.
>
>I have to wonder because many of us don't like very loud, blaring
>music, so why shouldn't cats be the same?
>
>Thanks for your response.

I would think cats are more bothered since their hearing is much more
acute than ours. And I know that 40 years of loud concerts haven't
done my hearing any good but I don't see how a bit of loud music will
hurt them.

T[_4_]
January 25th 14, 12:26 AM
In article >,
says...

> On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 18:17:10 -0800, Mack A. Damia
> > wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 01:47:59 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
> > wrote:

> >>I don't think so. Pay attention for any unusual behavior. Cats are
> >>very good at coping, they are masters at hunkering down. And I doubt
> >>it hurts their eardrums.
> >>
> >>Good luck and have fun.
> >
> >Just got a new Bose radio and CD player. I was listening to E. Power
> >Biggs playing Bach's Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor on the Flentrop
> >Tracker at the Busch Reisinger Museum at Harvard.
> >
> >I turned the volume up a bit and Pookie seemed to get anxious for a
> >minute, but then she settled down.
> >
> >I have to wonder because many of us don't like very loud, blaring
> >music, so why shouldn't cats be the same?
> >
> >Thanks for your response.
>
> I would think cats are more bothered since their hearing is much more
> acute than ours. And I know that 40 years of loud concerts haven't
> done my hearing any good but I don't see how a bit of loud music will
> hurt them.

Yeah - I've had my fair share of loud music. In fact most of my hearing
loss didn't come from that but from ear infections I'd had as a kid.
That scar tissue is a bitch when you get older.