PDA

View Full Version : Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box

John Doe
January 30th 14, 04:30 AM
Looks interesting. Anybody have one? If I buy it, I will follow up to
this with a short review.

According to reviews I have read... The large is much better than the
medium. One trick to using it is tipping it slowly so that the good
litter has a chance to move through the filter instead of falling
into the waste trap. It might be flimsy, and that might be a problem
unless you enjoy working with plastic.

Hopefully they use the same non-stick plastic as Sterilite storage
boxes.

John Doe
February 1st 14, 04:21 PM
It's been available for 10 years...

John Doe
February 11th 14, 03:04 AM
First impression...

Interesting. The filter is smartly designed so that you can
tilt/role it all the way onto its top without the litter falling
out of the filtered litter area once it's upside down. That area
can catch a large amount of litter (the whole height of the side),
so the litter catch consumes little space inside of the box.
Still, the box could be larger, a few inches longer. After using
100+ quart Sterlite storage boxes, the large model looks small.
I'm planning to stick a plastic sheet on the bottom to help
prevent scratching and stuck litter. At the local megastore, there
are some thin sheets of polypropylene used for cutting boards. I
might glue that material to the bottom of the litter box.

The stuck litter problem might also be user error. Maybe they
weren't using enough litter, perhaps not realizing how much the
litter catch can hold when the box is rolled.

I'm a little concerned about wasted litter. But it was able to
catch one small turd that I hadn't caught from the old box. That
100+ quart Sterilite litter box empty looks clean. Still amazed at
how those things stay clean, even after the bottom is scratched
up.

dgk
February 11th 14, 03:12 PM
On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 03:04:03 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
> wrote:

>First impression...
>
>Interesting. The filter is smartly designed so that you can
>tilt/role it all the way onto its top without the litter falling
>out of the filtered litter area once it's upside down. That area
>can catch a large amount of litter (the whole height of the side),
>so the litter catch consumes little space inside of the box.
>Still, the box could be larger, a few inches longer. After using
>100+ quart Sterlite storage boxes, the large model looks small.
>I'm planning to stick a plastic sheet on the bottom to help
>prevent scratching and stuck litter. At the local megastore, there
>are some thin sheets of polypropylene used for cutting boards. I
>might glue that material to the bottom of the litter box.
>
>The stuck litter problem might also be user error. Maybe they
>weren't using enough litter, perhaps not realizing how much the
>litter catch can hold when the box is rolled.
>
>I'm a little concerned about wasted litter. But it was able to
>catch one small turd that I hadn't caught from the old box. That
>100+ quart Sterilite litter box empty looks clean. Still amazed at
>how those things stay clean, even after the bottom is scratched
>up.

So a success? The reviews are mixed. I've had a LitterRobot for over
three years and it works great, but I also have a plain old box for
power failures and just because sometimes they want to use that one.
But my main gripe with it is that it is sort of fancy and has
irregular corners, so it's tough to clean them. A litter box should
have straight corners so the scoop can get in there, not some fancy
curves.

I once had something like the Omega Paw type where you roll it over
but things stuck and it was annoying so I junked it. Maybe it's time
to try again, especially since I don't like this one.

John Doe
February 11th 14, 06:19 PM
dgk <dgk somewhere.com> wrote:

> So a success?

I've had it since yesterday... I plan to update this later.

The first hurdle is that they are using it.

I'm a do-it-yourselfer extreme. The only thing I'd like to do at the
moment is keep it from wasting a tiny amount of good litter,
depending on how that litter moves into the disposal compartment. If
it's going around the seams, maybe some flexible glue will stop it.
Problem is, skillfully using glue is an art and I'm not familiar with
silicon glue that might be the best to use. Will see.

Again... The stuck litter problem is likely due to using too little
litter. But if you use a lot of litter, you might be more likely to
waste a tiny bit more because it might stress the plastic
filter/gate.

Some people complain about the cheap plastic fasteners being very
difficult to close. I put some silicon Teflon lubricant on them and
held them together while closing, no problem at all. They latch and
unlatch easily here.

The complaint about litter falling through the seams and onto the
floor is easily solved by using Scotch heavy-duty packaging tape.
Just put a few pieces tightly applied to the right side seam. No
problem at all.

If you don't enjoy working with plastic and are not a do-it-
yourselfer, this sort of purchase might be risky.

John Doe
February 11th 14, 06:28 PM
Something I'm looking to see is whether dirty litter climbs up the
sides of the box like it does with grocery store litter boxes (by
Hartz).

John Doe
February 12th 14, 06:07 AM
I think the problem is solved simply by tapping on the thing when
on its side, before continuing to turn it on to its top.
Apparently that removes the tiny amount of scattered litter
sitting on various surfaces, causing it to fall into the filtered
litter area.

I just did a cycle with no used litter (no poop or pee), and ended
up with practically zero litter in the used litter cup. So
apparently I won't have to glue anything. So far, the only
modification is the heavy-duty packaging tape on the right side
(an easy fix). One neat thing about packaging tape is that it can
be removed and the surface is cleaner than it was before.

Large clumps of urine might break into two or more pieces when
they hit the (upside down) top, before causing them to roll/slide
into the used litter cup. I'm using Arm & Hammer Super Scoop
Clumping Litter, Unscented. Naturally it includes baking soda, so
maybe it isn't the hardest clumping litter. I'd prefer they not
break apart, but it's not a dealbreaker.

It's easy and fun (for litter duty).

> The only thing I'd like to do at the moment is keep it from
> wasting a tiny amount of good litter, depending on how that
> litter moves into the disposal compartment. If it's going around
> the seams

John Doe
February 13th 14, 12:04 AM
Don't even think about getting a "regular size" one. The large one
should be about 3 inches longer for normal size cats. I can't imagine
anything smaller being large enough for a normal cat.

dgk
February 14th 14, 03:03 PM
On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 00:04:25 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
> wrote:

>Don't even think about getting a "regular size" one. The large one
>should be about 3 inches longer for normal size cats. I can't imagine
>anything smaller being large enough for a normal cat.

That might be a problem. I do have one big cat, he must be part Main
Coon.

John Doe
February 14th 14, 04:03 PM
dgk <dgk somewhere.com> wrote:

> John Doe <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Don't even think about getting a "regular size" one. The large
>>one should be about 3 inches longer for normal size cats. I
>>can't imagine anything smaller being large enough for a normal
>>cat.
>
> That might be a problem. I do have one big cat, he must be part
> Main Coon.

I'm in the process of making what will hopefully be better. Trying
to solve two problems, the small size and the clumps breaking when
they hit the top. Preliminarily speaking, it looks easy enough to
make. Planning to use my huge 100+ quart Sterilite box, so it will
be more difficult to tip to the side, but that's the only downside
I see. Will try fishing line for the grate, and then maybe
stainless steel wire (have ordered both). If Sterilite box
material can be used for the rest of the grate, the thing will
never need cleaning.

So far, the store-bought model has two or three times required
using some spray cleaner and paper towel to wipe some urine off of
the back side. Because you know that cats don't respond well when
their litter box area gets a dirty/filthy. It's evidently too short.

John Doe
February 20th 14, 06:26 AM
They keep ****ing on the back inside. I didn't pay attention for
this, but I would bet that is the reason for a high percentage of
the negative reviews. It probably can't be emphasized enough, it's
at least 2 inches too short. I knew that from the beginning,
before they ****ed on it. I'm sure some people will have luck with
it, for whatever reason, maybe small cats. I'm not sure whether
it's worth keeping. Not if I have to clean off the back inside
every single time.

My new build is going okay though, waiting for Amazon to ship some
supplies. The design looks good, but you never know.

February 28th 14, 07:27 AM
Hi Buddy,
I plan to update this later...
Thanks,
http://www.quora.com/Steven-Mark-Olschwanger

On Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:00:23 AM UTC+5:30, John Doe wrote:
> Looks interesting. Anybody have one? If I buy it, I will follow up to
>
> this with a short review.
>

> According to reviews I have read... The large is much better than the
>
> medium. One trick to using it is tipping it slowly so that the good
>
> litter has a chance to move through the filter instead of falling
>
> into the waste trap. It might be flimsy, and that might be a problem
>
> unless you enjoy working with plastic.
>

> Hopefully they use the same non-stick plastic as Sterilite storage
>
> boxes.

John Doe
February 28th 14, 08:26 AM
off-topic Google Groups spam...

--
steveolschwanger12 gmail.com wrote:

> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 23:27:30 -0800 (PST)
> Subject: Re: Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box
> From: steveolschwanger12 gmail.com
>
> Hi Buddy,
> I plan to update this later...
> Thanks,
> http://www.quora.com/Steven-Mark-Olschwanger
>
> On Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:00:23 AM UTC+5:30, John Doe wrote:
>> Looks interesting. Anybody have one? If I buy it, I will follow up to
>>
>> this with a short review.
>>

>> According to reviews I have read... The large is much better than the
>>
>> medium. One trick to using it is tipping it slowly so that the good
>>
>> litter has a chance to move through the filter instead of falling
>>
>> into the waste trap. It might be flimsy, and that might be a problem
>>
>> unless you enjoy working with plastic.
>>

>> Hopefully they use the same non-stick plastic as Sterilite storage
>>
>> boxes.

John Doe
February 28th 14, 08:35 AM
> They keep ****ing on the back inside.

Last time, instead of wiping, I just sprayed (not me, I mean with a
spray cleaner) the backside. Since then, looks like they have been
peeing down into the litter instead of on the backside. Doing okay
now. The way to tell is by using a flashlight. When tilting the
litter back into place, quite a bit of dust is generated as it moves
back out of the filter area, but most of that dust stays inside of
the box. Anyways... That will be it unless there are any more
questions.

John Doe
April 4th 14, 01:25 AM
Now I have two. Both modified. Packaging tape along the right side
seam. A wide plastic strip inside to help the clumps gently roll over
the waste drawer instead of bouncing off of it. Put a glob of hot
melt glue where the grating/filter meets the bottom so it can't pop
out of its slots down there. Also... Most of the bottommost flimsy
plastic strip should be cut away. Just leave at least 1/4" on each
side of the three vertical posts. Don't cut it on the outside of the
outer vertical posts where it's reasonably sturdy. The inner two
flimsy strips are just in the way of the flowing litter, they are
useless obstructions.

Also...

When handling the box, avoid grabbing it by the waste drawer entry
point. That is a very weak point and it might easily break the thing.

Another tip I think someone wrote... Tip it to the left a little bit
first, before starting the process.

Use a powerful standup flashlight to help you see what you're doing.
And as everybody here knows, make sure there's plenty of litter in
the thing.

John Doe[_2_]
October 16th 14, 07:09 PM
Been quite a while...

Working well. My modifications help a lot, but...

The cats are getting used to them. They do not pee on the backside.
They can go quite a bit without messing it up for such a small
box. But of course it's best to rake/roll it frequently. Even more
important is keeping as much litter as possible in the box, as
much as you can without wasting litter. That does a lot to keep it
clean. For example, it prevents clumps from sticking to the
bottom.

On a side note... I recently purchased another 160 pounds of litter
shipped (USA) for a total of $64. Amazing IMO.