PDA

View Full Version : Cataracts

Alison Sinclair
April 18th 14, 01:45 PM
I have a cat who was previously diagnosed as diabetic and was on various doses of insulin for about 18 months. About 2 years ago insulin was stopped and the cat is well and healthy. I still give him Hills M/D food partly as a precaution and because he strangely won't eat anything else. He won't even eat fish or meat! I understand that it is possible for cats to become non-diabetic (A phenomenon unique to cats)
Anyway my question is how likely is my cat to develop cataracts?
I read that diabetic dogs are much more likely than diabetic cats to get Cataracts.
Thanks in advance for any info

dgk
April 23rd 14, 02:41 PM
On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 05:45:18 -0700 (PDT), Alison Sinclair
> wrote:

>I have a cat who was previously diagnosed as diabetic and was on various doses of insulin for about 18 months. About 2 years ago insulin was stopped and the cat is well and healthy. I still give him Hills M/D food partly as a precaution and because he strangely won't eat anything else. He won't even eat fish or meat! I understand that it is possible for cats to become non-diabetic (A phenomenon unique to cats)
>Anyway my question is how likely is my cat to develop cataracts?
>I read that diabetic dogs are much more likely than diabetic cats to get Cataracts.
>Thanks in advance for any info

I don't think that cats becoming non-diabetic is unique. I have a
relative who was diabetic and lost lots of weight and now is off
insulin so I think it can happen to people too.

MaryL[_2_]
April 23rd 14, 02:50 PM
"dgk" wrote in message ...

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 05:45:18 -0700 (PDT), Alison Sinclair
> wrote:

>I have a cat who was previously diagnosed as diabetic and was on various
>doses of insulin for about 18 months. About 2 years ago insulin was
>stopped and the cat is well and healthy. I still give him Hills M/D food
>partly as a precaution and because he strangely won't eat anything else.
>He won't even eat fish or meat! I understand that it is possible for cats
>to become non-diabetic (A phenomenon unique to cats)
>Anyway my question is how likely is my cat to develop cataracts?
>I read that diabetic dogs are much more likely than diabetic cats to get
>Cataracts.
>Thanks in advance for any info

I don't think that cats becoming non-diabetic is unique. I have a
relative who was diabetic and lost lots of weight and now is off
insulin so I think it can happen to people too.

~~~~~~~~
Diet alone can bring cats into remission, and it should be permanent if an
appropriate diet is used (canned food only, no grains, no dry kibble). I am
diabetic and have been able to maintain good control through diet. In my
opinion, a person is not "cured" of diabetes. Instead, it may be "under
control" and may not even require medication.

MaryL