PDA

View Full Version : One paw withdrawn

The Doctor
July 4th 14, 03:55 PM
Yesterday out tabby Boots looks as if he hurt his front left paw.

He was cranky that he decided to hid in our yard.

I thought keeping him in would be a better option than
letting him stay out.

We got him back in and off to the vet it was.

The vet was nice (X-rays at C$190 that is high).

X-rays not done yet and we got inflammatories.

The vet was cautious to put her hand on his tender spot.

Today he still wants to go out, but I think he should stay in.

Your thoughts on how to encourage Boots to stay in and heel himself.
--
Member - Liberal International This is Ici
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism

John Doe[_2_]
July 5th 14, 12:25 AM
doctor doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) wrote:

> Yesterday out tabby Boots looks as if he hurt his front left
> paw. He was cranky that he decided to hid in our yard. I thought
> keeping him in would be a better option than letting him stay
> out. We got him back in and off to the vet it was. The vet was
> nice (X-rays at C$190 that is high). X-rays not done yet and we
> got inflammatories. The vet was cautious to put her hand on his
> tender spot. Today he still wants to go out, but I think he
> should stay in. Your thoughts on how to encourage Boots to stay
> in and heel himself.

Of course it takes time, but... The main rule about keeping cats
indoors is that they need space. Outside, they run away from
aggression (even if it means going hungry). Indoors, they cannot.

Astroturf and paper towels.

As many high places as possible for them to relax and roam.

A view through a screened window so they can smell too.

Bring the outside sounds inside with a baby room monitor.

And if it isn't already neutered, it should be. Please don't feed
outdoor cats that aren't neutered. If it's declawed (hopefully not
by you), it should not be outside.

Christina Websell
July 22nd 14, 12:09 AM
"The Doctor" > wrote in message
> Yesterday out tabby Boots looks as if he hurt his front left paw.
>
> He was cranky that he decided to hid in our yard.
>
> I thought keeping him in would be a better option than
> letting him stay out.
>
> We got him back in and off to the vet it was.
>
> The vet was nice (X-rays at C$190 that is high).
>
> X-rays not done yet and we got inflammatories.
>
> The vet was cautious to put her hand on his tender spot.
>
> Today he still wants to go out, but I think he should stay in.
>
> Your thoughts on how to encourage Boots to stay in and heel himself.

I don't think you *can* encourage an indoor/outdoor cat to stay in of their
own volition. I had this problem with Boyfriend when he got his intestines
reinserted. I had to keep him a prisoner and he purely hated it.
I suspect you'll have to do this too. Give him a week inside and see if he
improves, if not, it's back to the vet.