PDA

View Full Version : Mouse toy gift

Mark Carroll[_2_]
October 5th 14, 11:28 AM
My wife crocheted our cat a large mouse and he rather likes to keep it
with him. One thing he likes to do, especially when everybody goes to
bed, is walk around with it in his mouth, meowing loudly. Another thing
he likes to do is to bring the mouse and deposit it in front of us.

What isn't clear is what the next step is supposed to be once he's
brought it. It doesn't appear to be a game of fetch. If we wiggle the
mouse around for him a bit he might bat at the tail some. I've wondered
if he's simply giving us the mouse as a token of esteem, but of course
we don't want to then just take it from him and deprive him of his toy.

Maybe there is some other way we are meant to respond?

-- Mark

obsidianjg
October 8th 14, 01:07 AM
On Sunday, October 5, 2014 6:28:57 AM UTC-4, Mark Carroll wrote:
> My wife crocheted our cat a large mouse and he rather likes to keep it
>
> with him. One thing he likes to do, especially when everybody goes to
>
> bed, is walk around with it in his mouth, meowing loudly. Another thing
>
> he likes to do is to bring the mouse and deposit it in front of us.
>

> What isn't clear is what the next step is supposed to be once he's
>
> brought it. It doesn't appear to be a game of fetch. If we wiggle the
>
> mouse around for him a bit he might bat at the tail some. I've wondered
>
> if he's simply giving us the mouse as a token of esteem, but of course
>
> we don't want to then just take it from him and deprive him of his toy.
>

> Maybe there is some other way we are meant to respond?
>

> -- Mark

When my cat brings in a mouse, we usually trade for a treat.
In this case, why don't you take the mouse and then put ii back where he can see it after a while? I don't think he will mind.

Mark Carroll[_2_]
October 13th 14, 07:30 PM
obsidianjg > writes:

> When my cat brings in a mouse, we usually trade for a treat.
> In this case, why don't you take the mouse and then put ii back where he can see it after a while? I don't think he will mind.

That is an idea, thank you.

I recently saw some video of a farm cat that meowed as it was carrying
prey to its kittens, it certainly reminded me of the behavior.

-- Mark