PDA

View Full Version : my cat was already cold when he died

December 26th 14, 09:37 AM
I took my cat to vet a week ago when I noticed a wound on leg.
Cat had been hiding, so I suspected something was wrong.
The vet opined it was from a cat fight, but it can't be as I always watched
him when I let him out for limited periods. He gave him antibiotic.
He continued hiding, and a Tuesday, I noticed his nose was bleeding, so
tooking him to local vet. They took a blood sample and said his platelet
count is very low, so his blood is not clotting. They transferred him to
a university vet hospital, which gave him a blood transfusion. They also
did further tests to determine cause of low platelets.
They released him to me on Christmas eve, he looked much better then.
Also gave me an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory, and special food for
convalescent cats. However, they were not able to get all the tests
analysed due to Christmas. Only told me that he did not have FeLV,
and ultrasound showed internal organs to be normal size.
The vet considered he would be better at home, because he seemed stressed
by hospital environment. However, he did not improve.
This morning, he went downhill quickly. He urinated on the floor, perhaps
too weak to get into litter tray. It was dark yellow, so I guess he had
not been drinking any water. He was laying on the floor for his final
hours. About half an hour before he died, his legs were twitching and
he arched his head back. Finally he coughed a few times and stopped breathing.
He was already cold when he died.
So I await the uni vets calling me on Monday with a diagnosis.
He was 12 years old, and the most affectionate cat I ever had.

dgk
December 26th 14, 05:13 PM
On Fri, 26 Dec 2014 00:37:26 -0800 (PST), wrote:

>I took my cat to vet a week ago when I noticed a wound on leg.
>Cat had been hiding, so I suspected something was wrong.
>The vet opined it was from a cat fight, but it can't be as I always watched
>him when I let him out for limited periods. He gave him antibiotic.
>He continued hiding, and a Tuesday, I noticed his nose was bleeding, so
>tooking him to local vet. They took a blood sample and said his platelet
>count is very low, so his blood is not clotting. They transferred him to
>a university vet hospital, which gave him a blood transfusion. They also
>did further tests to determine cause of low platelets.
>They released him to me on Christmas eve, he looked much better then.
>Also gave me an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory, and special food for
>convalescent cats. However, they were not able to get all the tests
>analysed due to Christmas. Only told me that he did not have FeLV,
>and ultrasound showed internal organs to be normal size.
>The vet considered he would be better at home, because he seemed stressed
>by hospital environment. However, he did not improve.
>This morning, he went downhill quickly. He urinated on the floor, perhaps
>too weak to get into litter tray. It was dark yellow, so I guess he had
>not been drinking any water. He was laying on the floor for his final
>hours. About half an hour before he died, his legs were twitching and
>he arched his head back. Finally he coughed a few times and stopped breathing.
>He was already cold when he died.
>So I await the uni vets calling me on Monday with a diagnosis.
>He was 12 years old, and the most affectionate cat I ever had.

Oh, so sorry. It's so hard to tell what to do since they can't talk to
us. I'd be interested to know what they say.

MaryL[_2_]
December 28th 14, 07:19 PM
wrote in message

[...]

~~~~~~~
This is so sad, but you did all you could do. It is clear that you gave him
a good life.

MaryL

Stephen Fisher
January 15th 15, 10:29 PM
On 2014-12-26, > wrote:

> He was 12 years old, and the most affectionate cat I ever had.

I'm so sorry to hear this :( Have you ever read about The Rainbow bridge
or been to a website for pet loss support like this one:
https://rainbowsbridge.com/

John Doe[_2_]
February 14th 15, 06:59 PM
wrote:

> I took my cat to vet a week ago when I noticed a wound on leg. Cat had
> been hiding, so I suspected something was wrong. The vet opined it was
> from a cat fight, but it can't be as I always watched him when I let
> him out for limited periods. He gave him antibiotic. He continued
> hiding, and a Tuesday, I noticed his nose was bleeding, so tooking him
> to local vet. They took a blood sample and said his platelet count is
> very low, so his blood is not clotting. They transferred him to a
> university vet hospital, which gave him a blood transfusion. They also
> did further tests to determine cause of low platelets. They released
> him to me on Christmas eve, he looked much better then. Also gave me
> an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory, and special food for convalescent
> cats. However, they were not able to get all the tests analysed due to
> Christmas. Only told me that he did not have FeLV, and ultrasound
> showed internal organs to be normal size. The vet considered he would
> be better at home, because he seemed stressed by hospital environment.
> However, he did not improve. This morning, he went downhill quickly.
> He urinated on the floor, perhaps too weak to get into litter tray.
> It was dark yellow, so I guess he had not been drinking any water. He
> was laying on the floor for his final hours. About half an hour
> before he died, his legs were twitching and he arched his head back.
> Finally he coughed a few times and stopped breathing. He was already
> cold when he died. So I await the uni vets calling me on Monday with a
> diagnosis. He was 12 years old, and the most affectionate cat I ever
> had.

At least it died in a caring environment. That's a lot for a cat.